• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

True Romance

Smash Ace
Rumble is fail.

I don't get why people think new comers wont like pools. If you're a new comer what difference does it make to you if you're in brackets or not? Surely getting to play a minimum of 3 matches (as long as they are under proper best of 3 cp rules) instead of potentially only getting to play two is a lot better.

Who do you main in 64 Trav?

Vlade

Social Outcast
My biggest issue for the pools was the lack of inclusion for those who dropped out and also the lack of counterpicks, best of 3_ I have to admit i was fairly annoyed not being able to counterpick especially against Elton, who thankfully chose to play as Lucas in our second match_ But honestly, vsing Falco on FD is completely lame and without counterpicks or stage banning i wouldn't exactly call it 'fair'_

My other qualm is that seeding via rankings in a standard double elimination is just as effective as pooling, doesn't wipe a large amount of people out in a short time frame and works quicker than your proposed 'pro' and 'amateur' brackets, both of which require pools results prior_

I can understand why American tournaments may have this system in place due to their larger tournament numbers, but currently Perth doesn't meet the size or scale to require this sort of system_ Until we build a larger community or hold a nation wide tournament then we need to also consider the entertainment value of our tournaments to keep continued community interest_ People need incentive to not only compete, but also stay and associate afterwards_
Firstly, if you read the ruleset you might have noticed that YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BAN ONE STAGE.

Seeding via double elimination is not as effective as using pools to determine seeds for a bracket, because what about unknown players like Gatz who came first in his pool? Pools give the opportunity for new players to give themselves a high bracket seed by placing well in pools. The seed going into the pool does not matter AS MUCH as the seed going into the bracket.

If you're hungry for more competition and you get knocked out of pools, then we can just do what Roman suggested and have an amateur bracket.

Is it really more entertaining to be knocked out within the first 2 rounds of a double elim bracket?

@ Elton: I was actually talking to samuel about a melee tourney. Who would be interested? *Waits for Bringer to make a post* :p

Z-cancelling doesnt exist
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but it's the same as L-cancelling from melee. Except you press Z to cancel your lag in SSB64 :)

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
^ You just got anti-tested! :p

I would be interested in SB64 if I was still any good at it. lol

Also, show of hands, who thinks I should go back to maining Diddy? Or should I try someone new? Ness didn't seem to work as well as I hoped.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Hi I'm the Perth ranking system and I don't quite know how I can be compatible with pools, he's a nice guy and all and I know he has good intentions but we just don't get along well.

Sincerely
Perth ranking system.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Do we really need our fanbase for fan held tournaments, since pools seems to divert people from I see.
Still wow I get to putt out my 64 Ness again, shame my 64 doesnt work but oh well :p

Vlade

Social Outcast
If we can get 8 setups, samuel thinks we could have brawl doubles, brawl singles AND melee singles.

I'm hoping there's at least 8 people interested in a melee tournament. We can't have too many people enter melee though, so I'm gonna keep it at 12 max, since we'd probably have about 2 hours to finish the tournament (hard to estimate since we haven't done double elim bracket without pools with 8 setups).

Please post if you're interested in a melee tournament.

Just realised, we can have the melee tournament while people are entering Roman's smash 64 tourney, just hope there aren't people wanting to enter both >_> Melee would probably cost $5 though, unless people disagree.

Heck, you could probably enter both ^_^

These events will be run after brawl singles has finished (or we could start it while brawl is still finishing up).

I have absolutely NO idea about competitive SSB64 so if someone could link me to a ruleset that I could put into the official tournament post then please do :)

Alzi

Smash Master
^ You just got anti-tested! :p

I would be interested in SB64 if I was still any good at it. lol

Also, show of hands, who thinks I should go back to maining Diddy? Or should I try someone new? Ness didn't seem to work as well as I hoped.
Play my ness next tourney. I use him somtimes for fun. Ness imo i like better then diddy :p because earthbound is awesome. The only one problem with ness is in the perth smash scene we have some people who main the following:

Toon link
Metaknight
Kirby
Zelda
Shiek

Which can gimp you quite easy while you are off stage.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Don't have facebook and don't plan on getting one can you just post the images here?

Vlade there is no real official ruleset anywhere for SSB64 but I'll write up the basic agreed upon ruleset later.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I was gonna video crews cause theyre lulz but they never happened. Im hoping next time. Plus Andre and Bob left thus Trav was only form of bad jokes :p

Trillest

Smash Ace
<3 64 the game where i can play adult link and he isnt the worst ^^ and also spam uptilt rakes damage like a mofo. Tbh I dont mind about pools just was a bit disheartening also can i not vs alzi first round/pool next time its like 3/3 now giant robots hate arrows and i'd like my beating to happen later :p Btw if any1 lives around warwick and wants a free scribblenauts rooster hat come to the eb there (im the asm) and preorder it for $10 but i can give you that money back when it comes out :D and i'll ninja the hat for ya ^^

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Ok I have started work on my little java program thingy. For the moment it only calculates numbers and such for SINGLES ONLY tournaments, I plan on adding in a function to factor in singles, doubles or both but for now let me know what you think and how I can improve on it. Also you will need Java installed to be able to run this program.

You can download it (9kb :D) from here.

I should also mention that the way that discounts work for bringing in TV's and such only applies when someone brings a TV + Wii + Brawl (ie a full setup). A full setup grants a 50% venue fee reduction. Vlade said he wanted it to be $5 off, but $5 off of $10 is the same as 50% off. The difference lies in that when we get an "overflow venue" which will only happen with about 30+ people then the reduced venue cost is calculated slightly differently. There are minor rounding errors which I dont plan on fixing (chances are you wont even notice them) simply because they are basically irrelevant ;) Enjoy!

Richard7

Smash Ace
LOL! I can't use msn anymore. Today when I wanted to log in, I got a message saying that it was required that I downloaded a newer version of msn to continue. So I did, when the download finished it came up with a error message.

It turns out the newest version of msn can't be run on Windows XP 64 bit (which is what this computer has). Thats just ridiculous.

EDIT: Do you guys know of any sites where you can like login to your msn? like ebuddy? Because I guess I'll be using them now lol.

Jupz

Smash Master
I'll entert the 64 tourney for lulz. Btw I probably won't be going to squat 5 as there is an awesome school camp on the same time :p

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
LOL! I can't use msn anymore. Today when I wanted to log in, I got a message saying that it was required that I downloaded a newer version of msn to continue. So I did, when the download finished it came up with a error message.

It turns out the newest version of msn can't be run on Windows XP 64 bit (which is what this computer has). Thats just ridiculous.

EDIT: Do you guys know of any sites where you can like login to your msn? like ebuddy? Because I guess I'll be using them now lol.
Yeah I fixed yours, Ill post here for Andre' and others.
Go to your msn path, like for me it's C:/Program Files/Windows Live/Messenger/
or Ric's is C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger.

Anyway right click on messenger.exe go proporties and change the "Compaitibility mode" to Windows XP. And yeah, should work =D

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Interesting you mentioned about SQUATV also Jupz as i may not be able to go now_ Housemates are planning on heading back home around Oct/ Nov which throws a massive spanner my plans_

Anyone who uses Firefox_ Download an addon for it labelled 'Yoono'_ It's a very nice addon that merges all your im and social networks into one easy sidebar within Firefox_ It can be used for Facebook, Myspace, Aim, MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger and even last.fm accounts or ebay etc_ It's a great addon that i always recommend andyone using to Firefox to get immediately cause it just makes life that much easier_

Never played Smash64 but it would be interesting_ Isn't it also available on the wii's VC_?

Richard7

Smash Ace
Never played Smash64 but it would be interesting_ Isn't it also available on the wii's VC_?
Yeah its on VC.

That game's hitstun is hilariously too much. Oh btw the Z canceling that was mentioned earlier shouldn't actually be called that, should still be called L canceling because L canceling means lag canceling, its not what buttom you push. But yeah, afaik, the L canceling in that game completely removes the landing lag, not half of it like in Melee.

Check out this video of the best smash 64 player (the Fox player).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFL-mvl22Po

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah I saw technodeath around the DDD boards and invited him here. WOOT another DDD mainer omg yes lol!

Sucks you live in geraldton, how often do you come down?

also bob yeah so hopefully ill be able to make it to some tournies next year or something :\

and i might be able to host a tourney at the arena in the school holidays

Top Bottom