• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I lold so hard at the Luigi post.
Oh and Pete you play a mean Falcon, I seriously underestimated you first match and second match...I had to be Sonic, he's just to slow. Not making excuses first round you beat me fair and square. Hope I can verse you again.

I'm also up for the double Falcon tournament, and I'm serious, I want it to happen. Viva La Pawnch!

AND THINK OF THE HAT?? PLEASE PEOPLE, THE HAT!

Pete278

Smash Lord
I lold so hard at the Luigi post.
Oh and Pete you play a mean Falcon, I seriously underestimated you first match and second match...I had to be Sonic, he's just to slow. Not making excuses first round you beat me fair and square. Hope I can verse you again.

I'm also up for the double Falcon tournament, and I'm serious, I want it to happen. Viva La Pawnch!

AND THINK OF THE HAT?? PLEASE PEOPLE, THE HAT!
Danke. :D
If there is a double Falcon tournament, who wants with me? :p

Vlade

Social Outcast
How does 13th September sound for the next tournament guys?

Unfortunately I'll be away pretty much all school holidays, so no tournies then. I suggest that someone organises a smashfest though

And since my soccer season finishes in 2 weeks minimum (possible for it to finish later) how does bi-weeklies sound?

Pete278

Smash Lord
Wow...
Have you ever considered doing stand up? Thats hillarious
Just...
Wow
Subtlty isn't for everyone, my dear friend. Some people have to resort to a more blunt approach. And as evidence by *******, it sells.
EDIT: Well, its the name of a popular TV show starring Bam whatshisface and is apparantly bleeped out here. Also a synonym for an in-bred donkey.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Subtlty isn't for everyone, my dear friend. Some people have to resort to a more blunt approach. And as evidence by *******, it sells.
EDIT: Well, its the name of a popular TV show starring Bam whatshisface and is apparantly bleeped out here. Also a synonym for an in-bred donkey.
Well if it doesnt work for you, my dear friend, im okay with it:D

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
In all other games I go by Hobobloke or just Hobo, just so happened I didn't use that as my username for some reason, thought about changing it when I get premium membership but too many people know me as LB on here.

Trillest

Smash Ace
The Scribblenauts rooster hat is the reason almost all my staff preordered it btw if i get any spare i might steal it and donate it to the prize pool ^^ btw im up for 13th the sooner the better MOAR practice is what the smash doctor ordered !!!

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Bam Margera blows_ Don't even get me started on how much of a washed up image ***** he has become_

Bi-weeklies sound great and that hat is completely awsome_ We all need one_

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman

Wow...
Have you ever considered doing stand up? Thats hillarious
Just...
Wow
There's nothing unmanlier then getting hit by a falcon punch.
Mywii.com.au had a wi-fi cpt falcon tourney with that rule. Also 4stock.
Pretty good Idea. What does everyone here think about it?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
There's nothing unmanlier then getting hit by a falcon punch.
Mywii.com.au had a wi-fi cpt falcon tourney with that rule. Also 4stock.
Pretty good Idea. What does everyone here think about it?
..What? If Captain Falcon even bothers spending time to punch you, and you take it head on. There's nothing more manly. Are you crazy?

True Romance

Smash Ace
Hey just reading back a bit in regards to pools, and I don't think they should be dropped. Imo just make pools matches tournament standard, best of 3 cp's etc. Each player plays every one else in their pool once, top two set winners go through and all draws are played out.

There's always gonna be upsets, and un seeded players always have a chance at creating these upsets but this is life and happens in real sport all the time. Top players having seeds increases the over all validity of a tournament as it ensures that good players don't meet each other ridiculously early.

The only change I would make is instead of having 8 seeds (assuming an attendence of 32) have 16 seeds. That way instead of having senerios where, for example alzi's pool last tourney;

Alzi - Seeded player

Mugza - Potential top 16 Player

Trillest - Potential top 16 Player (Though his ranking doesn't currently show it he most definitely is)

Poor Unfortunate Soul - Very Unlucky

Get smashed together, you have a much smaller chance of getting really stacked pools. It might be hard due to people not guarenteed to rock up etc for the first few tournies, but particularly if Bi-Weeklies are a possibillity in the near future it really wouldnt be that hard to keep accurate rankings and make sure those who consistently play well are spaced out enough so that they get some reward for their consistency, and those who aren't seeded don't face a pool where to progress that literally have to completely upset 3 players.

I mean in sport it happens a fair bit, unseeded players have been known to come through and win huge competitions in a variety of different sports. I mean it doesn't happen every day but it does happen, so it's just something we have to live with. I just think once there is a well established list of rankings pools will work really really well, there's a reason why alot of big tournies in America use them.

Also, and I know the organisation could be tricky, but after pools are completed I don't see why a best of the rest bottom 16 tourney couldn't be run. It would get people to hang around and play/chat/interact more and really help boost the community.

I don't know if any of my suggestions are valid because I'm really pretty unaware of the effort required to put them in to place, but those are my 2 cents.

True Romance

Smash Ace
Oh and I recently got my hands on a N64 with 4 vgood condition controllers and Smash 64. So if it's ok with Vlade I'd like to run a gold coin entry tourney for Smash 64 next tourney, and maybe the winner gets half the pot and the other half goes towards venue fees? <3 Smash 64.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Oh and I recently got my hands on a N64 with 4 vgood condition controllers and Smash 64. So if it's ok with Vlade I'd like to run a gold coin entry tourney for Smash 64 next tourney, and maybe the winner gets half the pot and the other half goes towards venue fees? <3 Smash 64.
Irony, I was actually talking to Vlade about getting the 64 version. But Im all for the idea, from what I know next time if we have about 8 set ups we want diff games going.

True Romance

Smash Ace
I have a TV I could bring just for 64. Would of brought it for brawl last tourney, but it tends to fade in and out of colour cos it took a fair bump on the way home from the first tourney I took it to lol. So when we play at home you have to pause get up smack the **** out of it (like really really hard) then it goes back to normal contrast from almost pitch black lol.

However the 64 tourney wouldn't be too serious so if we needed to pause wouldn't be an issue, though I'm sure there might of been stabbings over it in the brawl tourney :D

Vlade

Social Outcast
^ Sounds good Roman, feel free to go ahead and do it yourself ;) Lord Bowser would definitely be interested

I also like the idea of having an 'amateur bracket' and a 'pro bracket'

There's a tournament series in south california called SCSA, and they do this sort of thing. Top 2 of each pool go to the pro bracket, while the others compete in another bracket. The ONLY problem with this is time constraints imo, but it's possible that we have enough time IF WE GET ENOUGH SETUPS! Last time we had loads of TVs, but not enough wiis :/

One advantage that I pointed out before about pools and Roman brought up again, is the fact that unknown players have a chance to shine and do well in pools to give themselves a good bracket.

Would everyone be happy to have pools if we:

-Make the matches normal tourney sets, best of 3 with counterpicks
-Seed the top 16 players
-People that don't get 1st or 2nd can still compete in another bracket

How does this sound?

Alzi

Smash Master
My pool had trill, muzga and me in it and us 3 to be honest are all good players. Thats why i felt sorry that one couldn't go to the next round.

I'm up for a smash 64 tourney. :) Pull out some kirby ****.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Vlade is right I am definitely interested. I've been harrassing people for a smash 64 tournament/friendlies since I joined the scene!

With the pools issue it still screws up the ranking system.

Alzi

Smash Master
Lord Bowser can harrase vlade for a smash 64 tourney while i will harrase him for a captain falcon tourney lol.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Your biggest problem with the last tournament was leaving too many people standing around not competing_ If a group of friends all drop out of the pools then i can guarantee you that they won't have too much incentive to stay around longer_ People stay to watch their friends compete and in turn get involved in the competition_

Also holding side events will add variation and keep people interested_ Brawl+ and Romans suggested Smash64 fundraiser sounds like a great way to keep people interested_

My biggest issue for the pools was the lack of inclusion for those who dropped out and also the lack of counterpicks, best of 3_ I have to admit i was fairly annoyed not being able to counterpick especially against Elton, who thankfully chose to play as Lucas in our second match_ But honestly, vsing Falco on FD is completely lame and without counterpicks or stage banning i wouldn't exactly call it 'fair'_

My other qualm is that seeding via rankings in a standard double elimination is just as effective as pooling, doesn't wipe a large amount of people out in a short time frame and works quicker than your proposed 'pro' and 'amateur' brackets, both of which require pools results prior_

I can understand why American tournaments may have this system in place due to their larger tournament numbers, but currently Perth doesn't meet the size or scale to require this sort of system_ Until we build a larger community or hold a nation wide tournament then we need to also consider the entertainment value of our tournaments to keep continued community interest_ People need incentive to not only compete, but also stay and associate afterwards_

True Romance

Smash Ace
Which is exactly why I think a bottom half tourney would be an extremely good idea. We just need enough set ups to make it happen.

And if you promise not to **** them with your dirty dirty hands any one participating in the 64 tourney can use my pristine controllers :D

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
pools were terrible. all new comers would be: "WTF?" and won't attend a tourney again. EVeryone wants to be in the bracket. But it wasn't extremely bad since there was a lot of free TVs for fun games/friendlies.

I mind because i don't want others to feel like crap loosing in a pool.

edit_ what about melee tourney?

Top Bottom