• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Richard7

Smash Ace
Something I should bring up

I don't think I can give venue fee discounts anymore if you bring a TV, today I had to fork out $50 from my own pocket so we could pay it off :(

In the past I also once had to give up about $70. That's a lot of money I've lost that could've contributed to my trip to SQUAT V.

Oh well

EDIT:

Marty just notified me that Mikey's sd card went missing. Anyone know anything about it?
The fact that you had to pay for that from your own money REALLY sucks. I propose that at all tournaments we have the entry fee's in some kind of closed cotainer or simply out of reach from every one (except the host) just incase.

Don't know anything about the missing SD card unfortunately.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Theres been a misunderstanding. there is no missing SD card.
I dont know about the details but my mate never had an SD card of his own. he was just asking around about them since he wants homebrew

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Yeah Richard said some money might of went missing or something, is that true?

I'd love a B+ tourney but it might go a bit slowly considering not everyone has homebrew. Gatorade bottle games as a side tournament!

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Theres been a misunderstanding. there is no missing SD card.
I dont know about the details but my mate never had an SD card of his own. he was just asking around about them since he wants homebrew
People are all so confusing XD, tell him Ill set up homebrew for him if he brings his wii next time.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I don't think money was taken from the venue fees, since they were in my wallet the whole time. But, since the venue costs $275, and we had 28 people, and like 8 other people brought TVs, the discount really brought me down.

From now on, no discounts I'm afraid. I wanna go to SQUAT V and that's not gonna happen if this keeps up, especially since I didn't perform very well yesterday. Hopefully this doesn't mean people are gonna be lazy about bringing TVs :S

True Romance

Smash Ace
Tourney was really really good. From a personal stand point was a bit dissapointing, I SD'ed in nearly every set I played at least once :( And I'm not trying to john cos the people who beat me would probably of done so regardless, but I was sooooo sleep deprived but I hate it when I put up an average performance like that. Which is I left earlier as well, I had a massive head ache, so sorry for any moeny matches I ditched I hope to make it up to you all next time.

Shout outs I guess,

Vlade - ****ing good job once again on hosting the day, it is massively DOG that you had to fork out your own money for it though. It would be a **** shame if people stopped bringing T.Vs if no discount was offered, these tourneys are sooooooooooo good for the community, we can't afford to be lazy. Which reminds me sorry about not bringing the monitor bro, I know I had some lame excuse on the day but realistically I just rolled out of bed with blurred vision sunday morning had a shower before Proxy and Trill kicked my arse into my car at 9:30 lol. Swear I'll have you covered next time. On and fun friendlies man :)

Proxy - Good job brother man. I know your snake is real new and was the first time under tourney conditions so you did really well to get 5th again. By next tourney no doubt it'll be even better, so hopefully I wont have to play you again :p

Alzi - Well done in singles mate, you must be stoked. Our double matches were really intense as well, awesome fun. STILL haven't had the chance to play you even in one friendly singles game, so hopefully next time this will happen.

Bob - *Decides he hates playin against Zelda in dubs* You and Alzi were an awesome team to play against. Was fun talking to ya and I hope to see you at the next one!

Ric - ZOMG. I knew something was wrong with the TV/Wii lol. As I said no johns, you probably would of ***** me any way but it was so aggravating for me. GJ on your singles results, hopefully I'll give you a better match next time.

Jupz - Man in hind sight you were majorly unlucky, the only set all day where I didn't SD :D You gave me hell in dubs as well so hopefully next time we'll get to play each other again.

Nasch - THE NESS IS DEAD, LEAVE HIM BE! Always fun catching up man, but I wanna see a commited decent main out of you next tourney. It's outrageous two peopel as sexy as us finished so low in doubles so we'll have no more of that, play metaknight or something :p

That's all I can think of for now, work about to start but yeah was really good stuff Vlade. And I think I told you in the past, if you need ANY help running the tourneys lemme know as I live really clsoe to the venue and would be more then glad to give you a hand.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Yeah mailing list is up today_ Good to see another tournament come up and running so soon_ Also, welcome to tournament hosting_ IMO you should adjust the venue fee's etc to allow room for discounts to those who bring tv's, but also some lee-way to compensate the fact that you are organising and running the tournament, to avoid losses from your own pocket_ I'm sure everyone will understand_

Roman it was pretty frantic playing your MK in both friendlies and doubles_ Poor Nasch, i kept hearing hearing him cursing himself all day long_ "WHAT AM I DOING?!"

Brawl+ should be a side event until we gather enough support to hold it as a side tournament due to the lack of people with homebrew etc_ Forgot to ask about SQUATV so perhaps add it to your emails_

Muzga

Smash Ace
maybe you should consider switching around the prices a bit, make 5% of the prize pot go into venue fees instead while keeping the same percentages for first, second and third

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Muzga has a point, but Im not sure if that would really cover it.....
Oh and Natsch, I found out that Marth's grab release of Ness isn't banned. You're pretty lucky I thought it was :p Was a fun match though.

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
Something I should bring up

I don't think I can give venue fee discounts anymore if you bring a TV, today I had to fork out $50 from my own pocket so we could pay it off :(

In the past I also once had to give up about $70. That's a lot of money I've lost that could've contributed to my trip to SQUAT V.

Oh well

EDIT:

Marty just notified me that Mikey's sd card went missing. Anyone know anything about it?

it shouldnt stop people from bringing tv's. Well i will still bring at 1 or 2 t.v's and wii's. I would have thought being able to have a large tournament and getting it done in one day because we have enough set ups would be enough payment? lol

Ow well if it isnt and people do stop bringing t.v's yea probs take it out of the pot, paying out of your own pockt is ridiculus:ohwell:

Vlade

Social Outcast

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
This is how I would do it.

Registration BEGINS at some time, lets say 9:00. From 9:00 till lets say 10:00 people pay for Singles/Doubles signups but NOT the venue fee yet. At 10:00, you count the number of people who have registered lets say for simplicity, 20 people. If the venue costs $250 then you say "Ok guys, since theres 20 of us, and 5 people brought TV's AND Wii's + brawl then it will cost (250/15) for each person to pay the venue fee. Namely $16.70"

This gives a reason to bring a TV and wii + brawl and also ensures that the venue fee is split across everyone. For a $10 venue fee there needs to be 25 players that do not bring a TV + Wii + Brawl.

Theres another way I could think of doing it but its a little more confusing, let me know if you still want to here it and I'll try make it as clear as possible.

Alzi

Smash Master

Thanks Vlade for hosting once again. Tourney was fun but everyone left so early... We all should of done Crew battles or that duelist pro or a mario kart wii side tourney or atleast somthing. Since it's a waste of $250+ that you paid for the venue. The fact that you had to pay extra because it wasn't enough is even worse so we had to make the end of the day even more enjoyable.

For the pools i seriously do not mind them. This is probally because i can make it into the next round. I really did feel sorry for others in my pool who lost and couldn't make it to the next round. So next time it should just be how we normally do it.

Thanks for teaming up with me Bob was really fun on the day and we actually did really well. Our best doubles match was against kane and Nasch. Each game was very close and they played very well. In the second round when i was left bymyself i was thinking how on earth am i going to be able to win this for Bob and I. Then i thought about spacing and focused. Once again very fun to team up with you bob nice zelda btw. Congrats on your new laptop aswell it looked nice and shiny lol.

This tourney i didn't play how i normally do i was basically consontrating on my spacing play and how to catch up againts an opponent if you are loosing. So next tourney i will play at my fullest. ;) Since i've learnt everything all i need now is shielding and mindgames.

Thanks Marty for bringing Tetsunoko vs Capcom that game is really fun. I plan to buy the PAL version when it comes out and hopefully they bring in the arcade stick here for it since those fighters are best on arcade stick.

Thanks Vlade and Jupz for staying at the end it was just us 3 playing friendlies it was fun.

Tourney was fun and i hope to come to the next one. But this time we definatly need crew battles or a mario kart wii side tourney. Not with money just for fun. With crew battles i think we should do it like this:

Say theres 10 people on each team, we make it 10 stock with no time limit. Each team thinks of one character to use that everyone can use well and the match begins. Once you loose 1 stock you bring in another team member to play for you. This way i think will be more fun and it's a character that everyone can use well in the team. Metaknight is banned in this though.

Theres heaps of other things we can think off to end the day well.

Edit: Oh yeah corps. I swear there is a trick to your little mini game. It reminds me of those arcade games in time zone where you have to press a button when the light hits a certain place.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Those percentages are important, we'll get back to them. My other Idea follows the notion of a set venue fee (say $10 for this example) and then the remaining venue cost is removed from the total pot and the %'s are distributed between winners as per normal. Kind of hard to explain how that works without some numbers so I'll try to make sense out of it.

Venue Fee - $250.00
Players Total - 30
Players (without full setups) - 20
Singles Pot = $10 x 30 people = $300

Set venue fee is at $10 for this example, so 20 x 10 = $200. This means that another $50 has to come from the top 3 placements. Since the total pot is $300 and the remaining venue fee cost that needs to be payed is $50 then we remove $50 from the total pot and add that to the venue fee. Ok still following me? What im saying is that we're $50 short of paying the venue fee so what we do is we take $50 off the total pot and then work on the winnings % from there.

Total Pot was $300.
Venue fee is $50 short.
Total Pot BECOMES $250 with the extra $50 going to venue fee.
Venue is payed.

RED is what the winnings would be without this system, GREEN is what the winnings would be with this system.

1st = ($144) , [$120]
2nd = ($66) , [$55]
3rd = ($42) , [$35]
4th = ($24) , [$20]
5th = ($12) , [$10]
5th = ($12) , [$10]

Venue fee = $250.00

As you can see, the winnings are not effected very much (everyone gets 83.3333% of what they would normally get in this example). This system would have to be tweaked a little to include doubles but it would effectively be the same. If everyone likes this idea but thinks its too painful to calculate, when I have some free time I could make a java program that calcs all the numbers for you :)

IN GENERAL TERMS!!!

Venue Fee = V
Players Total = N
Players (without full setups) = P
Singles Entry = C
Venue Cost per person = Vc
Singles Pot = C x N = CN

1st = 0.48*(CN-(V-Vc*P))
2nd = 0.22*(CN-(V-Vc*P))
3rd = 0.14*(CN-(V-Vc*P))
4th = 0.08*(CN-(V-Vc*P))
5th = 0.04*(CN-(V-Vc*P))
5th = 0.04*(CN-(V-Vc*P))

Now let me go back to my assignment thats due in 2 hours :)

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh

Edit: Oh yeah corps. I swear there is a trick to your little mini game. It reminds me of those arcade games in time zone where you have to press a button when the light hits a certain place.
Alzi there was, he showed me :p It's also bugged since it's impossible to get 100 by standard methods, see the amount of 98's and 105's..Hell I got a 99 :p
-Scrap pools since no-one likes it

And Corpse I think Andre's plan was as follows. If we dont reach venue fee then its taken out of the pot :p.

Oh and got to love how you feel sick, it's your first day off tafe, and you miss something important.-_-

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
For everyone with homebrew Wii's, might I suggest dl'ing WADder.
Basically it lets you edit WADs, so even if you cant use photoshop just dl an existing WAD and replace the file in it with an update version. Ex
I dl'd a Gecko 1.82 WAD I liked the look of and inserted 1.92 into it, plus put in new music (just use audacity).
It's seriously simple ;)

Advertising win!

Alzi

Smash Master
I just heard that in europe if you pre-order the new professor layton game you geta free keyring thing.

I love nintendo so much.

Pete278

Smash Lord
Aww, no comments on my Falcon? :( Or at least my level 9 Luigi? Tbh, if I'm doing that next time, I dibs Sam's console, every round, so my Luigi can solo the worse teams :p.
And I reckon, if I got a worse pool, I'd have made top 16.

Jupz

Smash Master
ehh ill always bring my tv plus i paid 10 bucks anyway for the venue :p

scrap the discount IMO

dont think ive ever got the discount anyway :p

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
yo.

I gained 15$! woo hoo

also came 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on objection 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I let alzi eliminate me both times so i come 4th.

Alzi

Smash Master
Next tourney should be a captain falcon one. We should do doubles aswell but everyone has to go captain falcon.

I bet that more epic things will happen in every match then they normally do.

That is lies. If you could of come 3rd then you would of because that means you get more money. We all know you love money. lol

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Or Alzi is just better than you and you can't handle that and make up excuses to make yourself feel better.

just sayin

EDIT:Alzi ninj'd me and he doesn't love money he leeches it from his parents anyway.

I agree with all Falcon except it must be Brawl+ falcon those dittos are epic just ask jono.

Level 9 Luigi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, great tournament. Pity I didn't too well in doubles and couldn't afford singles. :( Oh well, props to Pete for inviting me, and props to Vlade for letting me play :D

Alzi

Smash Master
Jono said he is getting brawl + :p.

I don't mind if it's on brawl plus but then sam would probally **** us even harder. Sam already in brawl plays a speedy and mind gamy falcon i don't want to see him in brawl +.

Top Bottom