• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Alzi

Smash Master
gatz walks in.

HEY GATZ.

*Everyone starts stripping their cloths*

Welcome! welcome! come in and enjoy the fun!

Muzga

Smash Ace
no gatz has hung up his wiimote. Hes discovered the superiority of the gamecube controller:D

Alzi

Smash Master
That would be nice if you bring another t.v. Infact you don't need to ask if we need another t.v we will always be needing a t.v.

Tommorow is going to be so fun i seriously cannot wait. I'm going to wake up early eat something huge, clean my gamecube controller. I even have planned out what to wear lol. I am so girl like.

Alzi

Smash Master
I don't know if i'll train or not. I will only go in training mode and practise my arrows since somtimes i don't land them offline and this is because of too much online.

Jupz

Smash Master
dude i cant find it. ill ask my sister and dad in the morning if they put it somewhere

if i cant find it in the morning ill just mail it to you promise this time

it was your fault for leaving it in my wii anyway :p

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Trav i don't know if i can look at you the same_ It's like you've had a sex change and come around assuming i won't mind if you have a ***** and look like a man_ I just don't know if we can work out anymore, you and your 'GC Controller'_

Anyways good luck with that, hope it all works out for you and ps - Sticker your controller for awsome points, I know i have :)

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Oh ho ho ho, Vlade I thought you'd never ask.
1 - It screws up the ranking system due to only half the people get through
2 - Then what's the point of having the ranking system?
3 - As you saw, people who have finished pools get bored and will head off early, eg Bob
4 - It's hard to say, but tournaments run to short, we have to much free time
5 - People feel they get more for their money having 2 sets of best of 3. Then 3 sets of 2, maybe due to it's spaced out more.

In the long run only from who I've talked to eg Bob, Dean and Trav, everyone agrees pools should be scrapped for the traditional double elimination bracket, we never get more then 40 people so it's not like we need to do it to finish everything.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
System is extreely flawed when it comes to results which screws with the ranking system, Also I find it better when I lose immediately in double elimination rather than losing in pools and not even being able to enter singles, not trying to ***** you know I'm not one to complain but I payed $10 to not play one standard tourney match.

EDIT:Marty and his lightning ninja fingers.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Pools are used to create a more accurate bracket

It's possible to have best of 3 sets like normal tourney rules in pools, but I thought that would take too long

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Hows it more accurate, it's as random as ever. Sure the top 8 are thrown in each pool but look at it like this
Sam
Trav
Dean
Hows that fair, one came first, one came last, one was their first tournament.
Ric
Myself
Natsch
Pete
This one we've got the 3rd place, 13th place and 2 people who haven't been ranked before. It's just throwing random people in a bracket and making them fend for themself, it has no basis on it apart from the top 8 in different brackets.
Then we get the issues if it works on points, how are points distributed. How can we possibly know who did better out of me, Trav or Bob when none of us made it through the pool. And according to the sheet Trav did better then Bob in pools despite not winning any and Bob winning two since his pool was smaller.
And for my final example, 5pm how many people are usually there? Like 20-30, today what was it. One Wii set up, 3 people playing it, 6 people kicing a gatorade bottle for amusement, obviously something was different with this one that led people to leave early.
Edit:
I agree with Trav, I feel alot better about myself not winning a match and being ranked 25th or something, rather then losing in the pools and not even given a score.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Fair enough

The main focus in having pools is for accuracy. Pools drastically help to increase the accuracy of a tournament. This is because the task of accurately seeding every player is not practical. With pools, one needs not seed every player, but rather only about 1 or two per pool, which is much more manageable.

The other effect is: self-seeding. Pools are a good way of matching player up against one another to detect any obvious and egregious oversights in the seeding process. For example, if an unknown player is actually highly skilled, he will have the opportunity to give himself a high bracket seed by placing well in pools. The seed going into the pools does not matter as much.

Jupz

Smash Master
I liked pools. Thought they were quite good. dont really mind tho

Awesome tourney Vlade and it was great to meet everyone again.

Shoutouts:

Corpse - fun friendlies in between doubles and singles, congrats on the win :)
Ric - sorry i didn't get to play you for very long, but GG's and congrats on 2nd again ;)
Alzi - nice placing! fun games at the end there, you've got a great toon link! can't wait to verse you next tourney :)
EADP - heh, you have a great snake. you use grenades so well. GG's and sorry about the SD card ill mail it ASAP when i find it
glenn - didn't get to play you but had fun meeting you again
alex - same :)
vlade - heh, gg's, great tourney and thanks for recording the matches at the end. those 3 way 1on1's were so much fun. sorry you had to SD in our final tourney match :\ but it was intense anyway lol my heart was pounding. the MM was super fun the brinstar match was epic lol, nice wario.
trav - :( sucks you couldnt make it out of pools. doubles was fun, i completely forgot about our MM sorry about that :(
marty - nice meeting you but i didnt get to play you again
bob - hehe, nice friendlies. your shiek is insane lol, hopefully we can play again next time.
mic - where were you mic we had all the fan club members there
kane - heh i think you beat me worse then anyone today. great MK and fun matches :)

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Sorry Vlade i can't see how you get an accurate bracket/ ranking from a pool system_ The ranking system is currently set to award attendance and placing (30 people, 1st = 30 points, last = 1 point) and with the pool system i can't see this happening_ My opinion is to have a seeded double elimination bracket based on our rankings_

I wouldn't of minded pools if a) best of 3 b) counterpicks c)it decided positions for all competitors, but then again it still voids the ranking system to use for seeding as well as the point allocation as mentioned above_ In my mind i don't see the use for rankings if we are using this pools system, especially if ranking doesn't offer you a true seeding in the bracket sense, which is what i assumed we would be using them for_

As Marteh mentioned before_ Personally i felt the Pools were over too quickly, lacked any true feeling of competiveness and actually left me bored and wanting to go home for the first time in any tournament i've competed in since Brawl_ Those people who were eliminated by the Pools were then left standing around watching over players actually get to have what i deem as a 'competitive match' and eventually leaving_

On the plus side, i enjoyed doubles, sorry Alzi i failed us so hard_ Loved being able to get some matches vs Jupz but completely forgot about our MM until i was halfway to the bus station_ Tetsunoko vs Capcom was soo good i want more and i think Babbs would actually pick it up also ^_^ considering she taught me everything i know about arcade fighters_

Brawl+ got some good feedback and i would love to hear what peoples thoughts are on having this as a side event in our next tournament and possibly lead up to an actual tournament event_

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Yeah Jupz we need to play one on one next time.
BACK TO THE DEBATE!
It's not really that different evenly matching people, where did the pools get you. Corpse v Vlade in round 2, in which you moved to the losers bracket which you worked your way through (then lost <3). But in a normal tourney its random, its a gamble who you get. Exactly like the pools, without wasting time and pointlessly eliminating people.
I can understand for like America where you get 100's of entrants it makes it easier to narrow it down, but in Perth it isn't needed. It screws up our ranking and people leave early.
To me it's just going "Vlade, Corpse, Ric, Jupz, etc you're the best here, you're in our 16 man bracket. For everyone else to bad" Is it really fair having 3 good players in one pool where one of them doesnt have a time to shine?

Edit: YES BACKUP HAS ARRIVED!
And also as Bob said about Brawl+. IMO when we have 8 set ups, we only need 4/5 playing brawl after the tournaments are underway and were getting like 3 matches at a time, rig up mario kart or something else on the other ones so its not so repetitive.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Ill bring my DDR and the 2 mats if anyone is interested next time =D
*Is addicted*
Edit:
Money Match Marty in DDR next time anyone?
Please note: Asians are not able to participate since they are ungodly good at the game.

Jupz

Smash Master
Maybe as a side event, but I'd rather have another normal tourney :p

Yeah forgot about most of my MM's today. I loved brawling throughout the day but I can understand a few side games such as Mkwii or Brawl+.

I felt like I got a lot better today especially at powershielding and knowing the right strategies to use.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Something I should bring up

I don't think I can give venue fee discounts anymore if you bring a TV, today I had to fork out $50 from my own pocket so we could pay it off :(

In the past I also once had to give up about $70. That's a lot of money I've lost that could've contributed to my trip to SQUAT V.

Oh well

EDIT:

Marty just notified me that Mikey's sd card went missing. Anyone know anything about it?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Maybe we should still have incentive for people who brings TVs..Like Toblerone (btw funny thing, anyone using firefox, check the first spelling option it gives you for toblerone).... I just dont know if so many people would bring tvs without the discount so yeah..
Edit to Vlades: Okay, umm Gatz (Mikey) is weird, apparently after all that, he didnt have one lol.

Top Bottom