• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Muzga

Smash Ace
IMO doing somthing free like that muzga and not worrying so much about money is what the world should be like. Infact who ever came with the idea of using notes as money to buy things is a total idiot.
Well, money would be nice. I wouldnt refuse money. I'm not some hippie
I just dont need it as an insentive to play. I just enjoy it enough to go out of my way to go to northbridge to do it for free

Money makes a society much less complicated. By having some medium like money we can provide and exchange goods and services, Money is a necesarry evil for a society like ours to exist. I wouldnt exactly say money is stupid. I'd argue that money makes people greedy, but we need to have it. Money is practical,

Lets say i have a mcdonalds store and you have a coles store, There is no money.
As opposed to trading money for goods and services, people just traded their goods and services for other peoples goods and services.
e.g i trade you a big mac meal for a bottle of detergent
There are a few key problems with this way of working with things, i wont go over all of them
The main problem is that not everyone wants mcdonalds. It can be impossible to get what you want in a world where people just trade what they have
The only solution to this is to create something that everyone wants: money.

Jupz

Smash Master
Obviously money is needed, but people should always do what they love. Why do we all pay money to go to tournaments when (unless your sam,ric or vlade) theres a good chance your not getting anything back? Because we love doing it :)

Alzi

Smash Master
Lol i don't mind money in that way.

Money deep down is evil in the inside. About the doing what they love part many people think i am going to do that job because you get alot of money in it or it's a easy job and you get paid alot. Those people are lost. At the moment i want a job so i can get money. But when i get paid i will split it and give some to my dad and mum and leave the rest to me. Job's like this for my age are good for social skills.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Organising a tournament for 23rd August
Did I ever mention I love you?
ON ANOTHER NOTE MY TENNIS TEAM WON GRAND FINALS FOR THE FIRST TIME! **** YEAH CLUB MEET AT DARKLIGHT AT 5
Congrats amigo.

As for money, yeah it's a pain and all but as said it is needed. A world of trading without a universal currency would just be stupid, I mean is a whole cow worth a car? Since it's what you need right? It'd be chaotic.

And Andre with your gigs, I intend to head to one sometime it's just a matter of location/time. Like your party this weekend (hope it went well) I was thinking of going but just getting there and the fact I had to meet mates in freo at 12:30 was a bit to much lol.
Hopefully sometime.

Richard7

Smash Ace
The problem is that the perception of gameplay is based on the wrong thing. Its based on "how many tournaments have they had? How many entrants were there? How much research was done?". This is a flawed system of comparing metagames.

When comparing metagames, I dont care about tournament numbers, I dont care about post count. The only thing that actually matters is how well they play in a match and there is nothing I've seen from the US or anywhere else that makes them so high and mighty compared to anyone else I have fought against.
The metagame here in the states has advanced farther due to 3 reasons:

1. We have more players.
2. We have more pro players.
3. We have more tournaments.

These are the three things that advance the metagame.
Uhhh... Did you miss something lain?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I was going to go to the party but I'm at my mums this weekend and she didn't trust I was going to a mates house she had never met before. CURSES MOTHER!
It's a good thing Trav, if us two went to a party whole thing would stop as we walked in and a godly aura would surround us.

Edit: All your page 300 are belong to Marteh

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
FFFUUUUUUU. I was keeping tabs on that too, but it just so happens I had an official Left 4 Dead match to play. *grumbles*

But yeah your right about us stealing the show and we can't really call it a "party" if we weren't there, more of a social gathering.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Official Tournament Post is up!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8070279&postcount=10

For this tournament I'm going to make Green Greens and Yoshi's Island (melee) legal. My mind has changed about Green Greens particularly, and I'm going to see how YI melee goes.

Hope you guys don't mind the new entry fees and payouts.

Mic please feel free to delete the old tournament post.

Since bob hasn't done it in the 2 weeks I've been away, I'm going to compile the Perth Rankings Leaderboard pretty much right now.

EDIT: I kinda want to start a new perth thread, it would be so much easier for new people to find our tournaments. Right now it's not as easy because the Perth Tournament Listings thread doesn't get bumped enough for new people to see it. However, I would like to keep the Perth Tourney Listings thread as a results archive and instead have upcoming tournaments listed in the OP of a new perth thread which would be more accessible to newcomers with links to past results and stuff. We could also have details of the perth regulars that attend tournaments often with contact details and everything, just like the OP of this current thread (except this one is melee). The OP of the new thread would also have the rankings leaderboard.

What do you guys think?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Richard7, I don't know who you're supporting but...

Lain is stupidly right.

Not to put the Perth scene down, but I highly doubt it's so developed that it has outreached America, and found out things like Ice Climbers are actually SSS tier; Toon Link should be banned, and you can't approach Falco.

Whilst mic isn't your best player (he is one of the most awesome though), I played him back in January, and he in no way reflected to me that Perth was any more advanced than the East Coast.
Now Perth has had quite good growth in numbers since then, but from what I gather results aren't changing -> A mid tier character continues to win the tournaments. I see deadlock, and if Ice Climbers were to change that, I think it would be awesome. ANY CHARACTER DOING THAT would be awesome.

And while you may say you look at Americas videos and go "they're not that great", I can now look at AUSTRALIAN VIDEOS of tournaments within the last few weeks and find it humerous how BAD WE ARE. High Level American players can SEE HOW BAD WE ARE as well. And that's from me going "our **** is good" and "american **** ain't that great" a month ago...

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Okay Vlade from talking to people today I believe the following are coming.
Me
Josh
Rudd
Dean
Blake

Card is subject to change :p

Edit: Oh and Vlade while I dont mind the price increment, I believe it may deter newer people from the scene at risk of losing money.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Vlade I really don't think a new thread is necessary can't Mic just edit the OP of this thread with tournament/player details.

I'm in for the tournament with 1 wii+brawl also shouldn't there be a DDD rule on YI melee and green greens.

EDIT:Fish is in too.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Awesome, 5 people already :D

You have a point there, but I also believe that a bigger pot will attract newcomers :p

It's kind of like a double-edged sword really, but I'll admit that more newcomers will be deterred than attracted by the increase.

I'd like to at least keep singles to $10, but if enough people really don't want the increase for doubles then I'll lower it back to $10 per team and change the payout to 1st and 2nd place only.

No DDD rule on Yoshi's or Greens

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. This is my take on the IC's infinites: Although they are an infinite they are not a guaranteed infinite (neither is DDD's because u can simply miss the grab button) and while there is a margin for error it can still result in a 0-death combo, which in my books is broken. Whilst some say l2space & if u get grabbed ur *** is gona have a huge hole this is the same as DDD's infinite. If its the same why is only DDD's banned? CG is all IC's have and while some may argue its all we have to win at high level of play then obviously dont play him at high levels, as you dont see m2k or lain for any fact playing captain falcon or any other lower tier character.
Lain what i said is that if your either IC or DDD, once u grab someone you can infinite, there gone if u dont stuff up, regardless of how hard it is or how loooonnggg u spent "mastering" the CG. Vlade said that they are different because the IC's is situational and requires nana, but if your any good of an IC player your aim will be to keep both popo and nana alive (Idk ive never studied IC). Anyways who cares im only debating this for fun cos im interested in law as a subject. IMO keep it unbanned

Idea stolen from Alan:
My subjects are gonna be:
English Literature
Maths 2c/2d might go 3ab if my teacher rkns i can but hes a douche so wutevs
R.E 1ab
Politics & Law
Applied Information & Technology
Idk the last one yet

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I Can supply a Wii. Although I will be using the USB loader for brawl =D
It'll be good to see Fish again.

Oh and a heads up to everyone, chances are I will be video recording the next tournament at parts if I can get hold of the camera, if you have any legit reason why you cant be on film. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY OF MY CAMERA =D

Also on the IC topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1GRJqmv52o&feature=channel_page about 28 seconds in it, MK gets grabbed, yet the CG is failed.
Final nail in the coffin xD Keep it unbanned

Alzi

Smash Master

Crew battles should be recorded with a camera unless vlade's recording thing can record the noise outside of the t.v.

As for the tourney i will be coming but the increase in money i don't know. Let's actually be honest about it here. For me it is sort of a good thing since i do have a chance of coming 4th or 5th which means i walk out with some money rather then empty handed. But what about other people who know they have no chance of reaching that placing?

Lol at that video Marteh that metaknight was spacing in a annoying way. Guess thats the way to do it then ;). Well actually you could have someone next to you while vsing a ice climbers and every time you do somthing bad or space bad have a friend to punch you so hard. This will definatly improve the chances of not getting grabbed.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is possible to buy Bicycle Cards anywhere in Perth?

If so, where?

I'd really like a deck or 2.

Oh and it would be possible to have commentary over my recording equipment if you guys really want it, I could just set the 'audio input' as a microphone which can be connected to my laptop.

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
count me and glenn in also can bring 1 tv and 1 wii, like the whole pools system should be interesting

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Vlade i don't think a new Perth Thread will be necessary as Mic seems to keep the tournament status updated_ I have mentioned about getting the Perth Tournament Listings thread stickied but to no avail_ If anyone is able to get this changed then thank you_ I haven't forgotten about the tournament rankings but as i have mentioned previously, my laptop broke and i haven't been able to use it since_ I am hoping that my mac arrives this week so i will be able to create a proper table for all our results, otherwise it is completely unnecessary to create new threads to replace ones that are already actively being used_ Either way i am still well aware of what needs doing Vlade but i appreciate your concern_

If anyone is willing to bring a camera along to the next tournament, i will happily do some camera work/ interviews during the event_ I will definitely be able to provide a laptop for recordings this time around also_ I don't feel that commentary is necessary for our standard tournament matches, but maybe if we are able to generate a larger scale event then it should be looked at_

Thank you to Lain, Shaya and Swordsaint for your input on the discussion_ I value everybodies opinions and input and it was nice to see some valued opinions on this topic_ In general i do not see that the IC infinite will be banned at this stage unless it becomes brought up by the smash community as being a necessary ban_ I personally feel that this topic has been resolved and thank everybody in the community for there feedback and comments_

Last shout goes to Jupz for multiquote comboing the entire thread and for his adamant debating skills_

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I've got permission to use the video camera at home, it's only a $400 JVC bought late last year, but it works fine...Well it better! lol

Oh and Corpse vs Sword
BATTLE OF THE EGOS COMMENCE!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
By the way, if Perth can decide on 1 thread to sticky, then I will sticky it.

It's not hard to see WA stuff getting swallowed by East Coast material, but if it loses its importance I will unsticky it as well.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Whilst mic isn't your best player (he is one of the most awesome though), I played him back in January, and he in no way reflected to me that Perth was any more advanced than the East Coast.
I blame that on the lack of smashfests. In melee days there was one fortnightly or so. :c

Vlade

Social Outcast
^ in about a month I plan on hosting something around every 2 weeks or so

Our options are:

-Sticky the current Perth Tourney Listings thread and completely revamp the OP of this thread (get rid of the melee stuff because it confuses newcomers)
-Make a new Perth Thread

The perth tourney listings thread doesn't get bumped enough, so newcomers can't find tournaments as easily right now.

Everyone seems to be in favour of keeping this thread

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Ric if you have been following my comments about my laptop you will have realised that Macs are the industry standard for film editing because of Final Cut Pro 6 which is a mac only program_ This and the fact i get FCP, Adobe Master Suite, iWorks and the latest macbook pro for $500_ If you look it up i'm sure you will see the retail price of those items combined is around <$5000_

Besides macs are great machines and i have no issues with them at all_ For gaming they always have BootCamp which allows you to run Windows as well as Mac OS X which i will be doing seeing most good games are made for Windows_ Macs are great systems but have a big price tag, but for $500 who am i to complain_

CAO i would prefer to see the Perth Tournament Listings Thread being stickied as it will contain not only our upcoming tournaments BUT also our Ranking Boards_ Anyone else agree/ disagree with this_?

EDIT: I'll be updating and revamping the Tourney Thread within the next 2 weeks for anyone interested >_<

Jupz

Smash Master
I agree with bob, this thread gets bumped enough by our discussion anyway. Maybe change the front post to Mic or Bob or Vlade or something?

I should be able to bring a camera, but its my dads and it costs around $700 so I would prefer if people weren't mucking around with it and stuff.

I would prefer the finals to just be copied so we can just see the screen and only hear in-game noises, but I don't mind either way is good.

My camera can only hold 11 mins of film with a 1GB sd card so if someone wants to bring a 2GB one and take it home after that will be fine :)

Thanks for the shoutout bob, you're also an excellent debater and it was an entertaining few days :)

Can't wait till the tourney.

Also the money issue - i say keep the costs, vlade dosen't have to pay it by himself, and a $150 prize for first place? I'm there lol.

btw whos jayce and proxy? can't wait to verse them.

Top Bottom