• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Nordal

Smash Lord
You're going to take damage from nades occasionally, if the reward>>>>>>>the punishment then do it. He got a kill and took a nade hit at non-KO %'s.

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
Cam vs MVD Snake (1 and 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBya-JWT61U

Even if he was sandbagging, it couldn't hurt to get some advice (the death on my first stock was entirely my fault and I am still kicking myself for it).

is that the snake that esam always plays? dam he has gotten really good. haven't really scene his snake since last year.
u played pretty good against that snake cam but esam's advise is correct.

me vs siri peach player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm4rLoTRjlg

one question... how do you guys get on vs characters like kirby, peach and toonlink? ii struggled vs this peach throughout the day i faced him... the high priority/aerials made it difficult..i haven't really scene esam play a good kirby or peach player before.... so i wanted to know how u guys fared.

i find kirby really difficult to beat.. especially a good one who makes good use of his bair. i swear... id rather play a mk , snake or marth instead of the peaches nd kirbys!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
1st off, **** peach.

Against Kirby...why are you approaching? He doesn't have a projectile, so just camp him until he comes close. When he jumps, shield. His bair will hit your shield and you can shield grab it or d-tilt it or something.

Against Toon link, just play really slow and patient. Walk in and shield his things, then do things like f-tilt, dash grab, and SH dair. SH dair is amazing in this match.

PZ

Smash Lord
1st off, **** peach.

Against Kirby...why are you approaching? He doesn't have a projectile, so just camp him until he comes close. When he jumps, shield. His bair will hit your shield and you can shield grab it or d-tilt it or something.

Against Toon link, just play really slow and patient. Walk in and shield his things, then do things like f-tilt, dash grab, and SH dair. SH dair is amazing in this match.
I dont believe shield grab will work against a kirby that knows the use of bair but meh dtilt could work.

PikaForLife

Smash Apprentice
#1: WATCH OUT FOR THE OBVIOUS ****!

Every snake does the obvious ****. When he is falling on you he is going to do one of 3 things: Pivot grenade, air dodge or bair. You can space bair and air dodge correctly with pivot F-smashed, and you can do that after the point that they would normally pivot grenade (If they pivot grenade right next to the ground they won't be going very far backwards).

#2: Make him hurt from going off-stage.

You don't need a grab in this match to win. I've hit MVD off stage at 20% before and he couldn't come back until 140%. Learn to place your nairs/thunders/dairs correctly and learn to read his landings on-stage (they will be even more obvious than in rule #1. Take away Pivot grenade...so you just have to space your F-smash right). D-tilt him off, grab attack him and release him, dair f-tilt, ANYTHING! JUST GET HIM OFF LEVEL!!!

#3: When he is recovering, TOSS HIS GRENADES UP!

Snakes, and MVD in particular, always throw grenades before they cypher to try to cover their landings. Instant throw that **** back up. It will limit his options and force him to air-dodge preemptively, or get hit by thunder after the grenade and die at like 100%. You can nair/dair him back out for that. **** is free son.

Sorry that I'm not specifically critiquing, but I have a feeling these things will help more in general. I'm also not the kind of person to do play-by-play analysis.
good read right there. i like the way Esam explains everything lol you know that mu too well.
Well what if I beat you? :3
I accept your challenge. 5$ mm :3
this..made me lol. you shouldnt give away your money like that :(

btw i hope my vids comin up fast from my last tourney so you guys can give me some critique.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I'm not giving away money. I have 2 chances to win, slim and none.

Also, if I lose, I'll learn a lot by playing him. so w.e XD

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
@Fire
My good french man, I`d like to say, besides Latzo, you`re my favorite french pikachu. No complaints on your matches, but that last one, last stock of DDD should have gone, but you thundered him, allowing him to survive. It`s a habit to think you`re going to kill, but end up saving him. I did most of the time when I started out. It`s like DSmash, a bad habit

@PFL
Take his advice

@Fitty
From the looks of it, let me say this. There`s some parts of your playstyle I like, but you`re extremely predictable when it comes to 2 things

- Recovery
- DSmash

@ Recovery
Skull bash, especial with snake, is a risky thing to use. A smart knows how to punish that just by using his aerials, nedes, or even his upsmash/tilt. Use it not charged, but uncharged, because of that issue, use qa more.
@DSmash
DSmash is just one of those punishable moves. Snake, assuming you`re 100+ %, could use uptilt to kill you because he`s gay like that. Use that to put pressure on a character falling to ground or to get the heat off you.

@ European Pikas
Holy ****, you guys have defiantely stepped it up. I love all the new stuff you guys do and create. Keep up the good work. Yonesuke and I are getting ideas from you guys.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Hey, you guys mind critiquing these? Thanks! From Coney's Epic of Odenton 5-5-5 6/18

Romona :metaknight: vs UrbanMenace :pika: WB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT6P2wXB40

Renan :peach: vs UrbanMenace :pika: LB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT6P2wXB40
vs MK:

-You have very slow reaction time and you don't really punish anything. Stop throwing out random attacks and actually focus on the moves he's doing and how you can punish them. There were too many example but I guess one would be where he down smashed your shield and you blocked it and then just kind've stood there.

-Camping isn't the solution to everything. It's kind've all you try to do since you don't know how to punish mk's attacks (or have the reaction time/speed at the moment necessary to do so)

-Learn your quick attack angles. You really need to work on recovery (though your recovery wasn't terrible, just needs some work).

-DO NOT COUNTERPICK MK TO FRIGATE. Your best bets against mk are Picto (if it's legal), FD (if they haven't banned it), and PS1 (if they haven't banned it).

- End your cg's more with FH Nair. It puts them in a better position at mid %'s for more followup's than up smash.

-Learn the timing for double jump thunder edgeguards (wavebounce would be better but work on the easier stuff first)

-You also tend to just hide in your shield a lot, and unfortunately many things can't always be punished OoS

vs Peach:

I saw the same general problems (slow reaction time, trouble punishing a lot of things) but I have to prepare stuff for father's day so I'll just leave some matchup advice.

-You want Peach to have a turnip. Holding an item severely reduced her out of shield options (most importantly short hop nair) and her fastest option would be float Nair (which most people would not be very fast at). When she has a turnip she's most likely going to glide toss it or jump and throw it.

My best answer to it is short hop Fair. If she glide tosses it towards you to try and start a combo (Illmatic loves doing this), you catch the turnip and hit her. If she glide tosses away from you, you catch the turnip and Fair doesn't have much lag to it so you're at a safe distance (with an item now). If she stays in shield, Fair will most likely shield poke her. If she's at a distance where she'll jump and toss it, then just avoid the turnip and prepare for her Fair/Dair. F smash beats any retreating ground float bull**** they try and pull (especially Fair).

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Hey, you guys mind critiquing these? Thanks! From Coney's Epic of Odenton 5-5-5 6/18

Romona :metaknight: vs UrbanMenace :pika: WB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT6P2wXB40

Renan :peach: vs UrbanMenace :pika: LB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT6P2wXB40
I watched the vs. mk. I agree completely with what Nordal said. There`s another thing I want to add to it though regarding recovery. Skull bash charging =/= mk. MK has the moves to punish that move and all his moves are kill moves offstage. If you`re going to use skull bash, use it in a short distance recovery. Anything other than that, use qa for stage recoveries.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Skull bash is a risky recovery vs mk, he can nair you but it's easier and better for him to Dair you. It sets you at a worse position than you start out in. Jumping backwards and charging skull bash to avoid shuttle loop is a nice recovery trick though :D

Tagxy

Smash Lord
-DO NOT COUNTERPICK MK TO FRIGATE. Your best bets against mk are Picto (if it's legal), FD (if they haven't banned it), and PS1 (if they haven't banned it).
I think Frigate is a good stage to fight MK on.

Urban Menace

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it haha, it'll help me out alot. @Tag, me too! i don't exactly feel comfortable fighting mk on ps1, and fd is banned since picto isn't legal anymore *unity ruleset* I love platforms, and frigate i feel is a good pika stage, but I'll definitely try ps1 out.

Nordal

Smash Lord
The second transformation part is just fine, but having no ledge to quick attack to on the first part is killer vs metaknight. He's pretty much guaranteed a free hit when you try to recover from any distance that isn't too far.

Nordal

Smash Lord
First stock: you were waaaay to greedy with those up smashes (luckily for you he didn't punish very well). I also saw a few times when he did a poorly spaced f tilt on your shield and you weren't fast enough for the punish. If they're in the early 20 % range, only two downthrows will be guaranteed (unless it's stale of course but it wasn't). Just be glad he didn't know he could footstool out. When you were trying to land with Fair and got shuttle looped, you had put yourself in a position for him to do so and then chose the wrong move (should've gone with Dair, it usually beats aerial shuttle loop or at least clashes and 12%>2% from Fair).

Second stock: You were too slow on a lot of your punishes and you really need to work on your recovery.

Third stock: You got really greedy with f smash, but nice up smash punish at the end.

I have some interviews to go to so I may not get to the second match today, so here's some generalizations.

Work on recovery; work on being faster with punishes and reactions; work on camping.

Scatz

Smash Champion
The second transformation part is just fine, but having no ledge to quick attack to on the first part is killer vs metaknight. He's pretty much guaranteed a free hit when you try to recover from any distance that isn't too far.
Why don't you try recovering under the stage then? Pikachu's recovery is good enough to create something.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Under as in under the platform? It's pretty easy to be punished that way since you'll have landing penalty. If they know for sure where you're going then it makes it all the easier. The point is frigate's first transformation limits your recovery and that's never a good thing.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Under the actual stage. It's not a choice that should be used often, but it might prove some use. It's something you guys can research (I've been researching Yoshi about the same thing) and see how useful it is overall.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Oh, by the actual distance where you could make it, it would probably be better to recover normally. I'm talking about mid-far distance recovery.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
The first part is the best part. Recovering should not be difficult unless you DI'd badly.

Nordal

Smash Lord
The second part is significantly better. Slants allow you to cg mk from 0- the d throw cg. You can't camp as well but at least you can recover. Frigate should be mk's counterpick against you anyway, it's not supposed to be good lol.

Nordal

Smash Lord
The second link is a 2 second video.

Anyway, you seem to be the opposite of what I normally see when people post stuff here. I usually see people attempting the right moves, but they're way too slow. You're faster than most of them (granted your reaction time in many cases could have been faster, such as when he was poorly spacing f tilt on your shield and you waited for all three hits to be complete instead of grabbing him immediately). However your move choices in many situations is extremely questionable, you don't seem to be comfortable with mk's Dair camp, and your recovery could use some work. I'll get more detailed later.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
luckay just be more on point with punishes
you missed like 3 kills i got lucky

u're better than me just capitalize more like mew2king

Nordal

Smash Lord
I use it to avoid or get around attacks that I know are coming (based on Trevonte's habits). Not mindlessly out of pressure. But yes, I do need to roll less. Forward roll is pretty good for getting around mk's ground game when you predict it.

Nordal

Smash Lord
You were very good at catching bananas and pretty consistent in the glide toss.

You just throw out a lot of "panic" attacks (Nair, Bair, etc) when you want the kill or the combo and you end up getting punished really hard because of it.

Firzy

Smash Rookie
@Fire
My good french man, I`d like to say, besides Latzo, you`re my favorite french pikachu. No complaints on your matches, but that last one, last stock of DDD should have gone, but you thundered him, allowing him to survive. It`s a habit to think you`re going to kill, but end up saving him. I did most of the time when I started out. It`s like DSmash, a bad habit.

@ European Pikas
Holy ****, you guys have defiantely stepped it up. I love all the new stuff you guys do and create. Keep up the good work. Yonesuke and I are getting ideas from you guys.
Thanks Volt,that's nice :D
I've got some new vids of my trip in Dijon :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnuRuYiUZg
Last time i played online was against Beaver one month ago,I had also some timing problems during those matchs like DI,Plateform Cancel,combos including grabs etc... first time I played against Sonic too xD [/epic john]
Enjoy then! (and sorry for poor english )

Top Bottom