• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I should probably start putting spaces or using enter to show the videos I post since I use Silver font...
Anyways for me to notice most of my mistakes (I see some VS MK) Put down the points. Like 1:03 or something.
That way I can see what you mean and probably give you a reason or not for each time I did that.

:320:

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm pointing out a general habit, not some specific instance. Whenever you are above a slope, you ground pound into it, to the point that whenever it happened the MK was prepared to punish. Just mix it up some.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Out of all the videos of Yoshi''s i've been watching since 08 and joining Competitive Brawl in July. I've actually done more techs in a match then most Yoshi mains i've watched sadly. (Except Dragonic Reverse and maybe Zudenka doing more than me)

:320:

Sharky

Smash Master
ATs are certainly useful, but only useful if you don't turn them into predictable gimmicks. That's all I'm trying to say.

edit: if you're still awake, this would be a lot easier if you'd just get onto skype.

Sharky

Smash Master
lol fire those dubs matches are amusing. major facepalm at breez messing up the grab release combo at the end of game 2 though. =( I'll post stuffs tomorrow. sleepy.

if I don't actually post stuff smack me so I remember. =P

D

Deleted member

Slush dont ask for critique and then defend yourself for each instance you did something.
Be open to everything, you arent good yet (even people who have been playing forever should be open to everything).
Game 1:
Firstly, side b is not that good stop getting hit by it (its good but shouldnt hit as often as it does.
:45 airdodging doesnt beat downsmash sorry. Stop momentum cancelling when you arent at kill percents when you are getting juggled, sometimes you want to go further away so that u can not get juggled.
1:33, why would you do that
2:00 why are you pivot grabbing he has been down bing and side bing, pivot grab loses to both, he hasnt gone for dash attack locks like ZSS should, but he doesnt use utilt OOS much, so you should be bairing the crap out of his shield and keeping the pressure on.
2:06 another pivot grab why? Use moves for a purpose, you seem to be throwing out pivot grabs to defend against some dash attack that isnt coming, while the 3 things he is doing are beating you and you arent adapting.

Ok stop going for egg to grab every single time you egg it worked a little bit because he didnt adapt then he did and you kept doing it which is why you lost. You airdodge when you shouldnt, you dont airdodge when hes actually gonna hit you. You didnt bair pressure nearly enough, on a character that hates bair pressure. You egged nicely but again didnt adapt when he adapted. You didnt condition much really, you kinda just did your thing, which is fine, but wont cut it as you play better people.

Your DI is pretty decent so no qualms there :p
Just so you know if you bair at him he cant side b or take time to down b.

Game 2:
All im gonna say is:
Spamming fsmash doesnt work for killing sorry
Hold shield rather than spotdodge side b imo, easier.

Yikarur

Smash Master
08 I was like the only one that played cyan Yoshi together with Auro and Mmac and now..
;__;

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
lol fire those dubs matches are amusing. major facepalm at breez messing up the grab release combo at the end of game 2 though. =( I'll post stuffs tomorrow. sleepy.

if I don't actually post stuff smack me so I remember. =P
*e-Smack*

08 I was like the only one that played cyan Yoshi together with Auro and Mmac and now..
;__;
Come to the red side. We have apples!

:005:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I use cyan and always have been since smash64. Even before I got an account here on swf.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Omg video one..... I'll critique you in a bit .... that was bad lol i hope the rest were better.

Game 1
0:21 Lol trip

0:24 that would have been a way better time to go for the grab than
alot of your other attempts

0:26 Errrr Smart going for the pivot but mistimed and after you double jabbed which technically doesn't combo at that % you pushed it by going for a dash grab.
double jab to Dash grab doesn't combo ever lol and it doesn't even begin to work as a mix up til about 40%

0:32 Time it mayne

0:47 I noticed that when He Does a homing attack you always try to pivot grab it. Thats not really bad but the spacing was off for a pivot grab most of the time. But if you charge an upsmash it will almost always hit as long as you time it.

1:05 im pretty sure you just messed up but, a fun fact if you got him with that pivot grab and CG'd him without chewing he wouldn't have been able to recover

1:50 good you caught on to the platform thing

1:56 upsmaaaash thoooose more

2:10 Well it was probably spur of the moment but he was waaay too far for that to connect and considering he was just holding shield it was pretty obvious he wasn't gonna go anywhere

3:15 lol just throwing this out there if you end up in that position you should probably just jump to the ledge or something if you have a bad reaction time because thats not gonna cut it lol

3:28 That really shouldn't have killed you lol

3:56 Not sure where you were going with that but you dropped way too low

Game 2 can legit be broken down by pointing out Times you should have upsmashed instead of w/e you did and telling you to watch the tilt on the last transformation

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
lol, I was so beat then, but no johns, I tried my best...

EDIT: Game one was by far my worst game of the whole day...

Sharky

Smash Master
Moar doubles vids.

+ breez (MK) vs. Asa (Wario) + Captain L (Pikachu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb2YBh4otJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGALMZjz_g

Games 1 and 2 of a Bo3; game 3 was the one I posted earlier. We lose game 2 (loldesync)

+ breez (MK) vs. Blue Yoshi (GaW) + Karupin (Kirby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd15wXFkLos

This was a Bo5 set, but only 1 match was saved. We won 3-0; this was game 3.

+ breez (MK) vs. Bundtcake (Kirby) + Kodokan (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjIEkvKFhk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiorcmZaGnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCvlij3nPyo (lulziest match here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcUxv8BAYks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGXYHFiPT0

Grand Finals. The last 4 matches are one set, but only one match from the first set was recorded. We won that set 3-0 though.

:005:
work in progress, starting with the first two games vs the pikachu and wario.

game 1:

:52 - did you try to throw him or something? For the life of me I can't figure out why you got the knockback on that, if this isn't the case. As you have port priority I'd just wait for someone to hit him in that case lol.

1:20, I think I would have gone for the grab on pikachu, maybe tried to throw him into wario? Just a passing thought.

1:25 - mentioned on skype, go after pikachu right away in this case.

1:30 - lol why are you scared wario jumped away from you and pika is below you. Drop down and punish.

the 2v1: You guys should probably work on 2v1 strategies, it looked just a little sloppy IMO. Since you were at low % trying to get a grab setup would have worked out pretty well, maybe grab release to an MK nair, up-b, or a smash. You guys did seem to try to go at him one at a time though, so that was good.

game 2:

1:28 - Treachery, ouch. =P

2:38 - second time you got scared into your shield on an attack that wasn't going to hit you. =/

4:00 - DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN, BAD FIREFLY!!! (the momentum cancel) lol people doing that against pikachu is a pet peeve of mine =P

4:48 - MAJOR SADFACE, PARTNER FAIL. =(((

That's it for specific moments. Overall, I think you do pretty well, but I might try to just move around more, and throw in chip damage to take pressure off your partner. Also try to work on team combos, I haven't seen very much of that so far. You have your grab releases, and MK has good throws for this stuff. And of course this happens to every yoshi at some point, but be careful not to egg your partner =P

that's it for now, To Be Contnued =D I'll try to rewatch both of those at some point to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just had some legit matches against a tink that ill post soon, hopefully those will redeem myself

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
After watching the first game, I gotta say that I love your item control. DR Item pickups look so sexy. For part of your second stock, I thought that you didn't really know what to do with the items, but you really did pull off some slick stuff with the nanners.

Near the way beginning, about 15 seconds in, you nair'd Diddy's shield. I think it may have happened elsewhere, but in general, Diddys like to use their amazing shield, especially since they get a glide toss out of it. Egg Lay more when you're trying to attack, it should work.

You pulled off a really risky Yoshi Bomb edgehog attempt a little before 2:00. There was nooooo wayyyyyy you woulda gotten the ledge before him, and you probably woulda died if you had actually hit the ledge. Don't get too greedy.

For the last minute or so of the match, you were WAY too greedy. You had a 100% lead, with him in kill percents, and you fished for the kill too hard, especially offstage. This lead you to take a lot of damage, and the loss of the match. You don't need to do very much with that kind of lead, don't get too hyper.

Apart from that, it was a really fun match to watch. I love your Egg Lay chains.

For game 2, I noticed that you would dash attack after throwing a banana at him a lot, and both of them would be shielded. When you throw a banana at Diddy, their reaction is to shield it. Grabbing is generally a much better option, since they'll already be shielding. Once you get them with the grab a bit, they'll start spotdodging, which is when you mix in the attacks.

Your offstage play on your last stock was really good and really helped you close the gap and take the lead.

Don't approach Diddy when he has a nanner in front of him AND when he's under a platform, like you did at the end of game 3. That's an awful spot to approach at. =/

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
the bomb @ 2:00 wasnt supposed to hit the ledge, i just wanted to come down and maybe hit him with the stars. (a fastfall would have been better, but at least i didnt get hit ^^)

@ the rest: yep, you're right. sometimes i'm waay too cutty..
i need to calm down sometime, somthing i have to learn for myself.

thx for your comment!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Fast replies were fast. I sorta editted stuff in as I decided to finish watching the other 2 matches. @_@''

For game 2, I noticed that you would dash attack after throwing a banana at him a lot, and both of them would be shielded. When you throw a banana at Diddy, their reaction is to shield it. Grabbing is generally a much better option, since they'll already be shielding. Once you get them with the grab a bit, they'll start spotdodging, which is when you mix in the attacks.

Your offstage play on your last stock was really good and really helped you close the gap and take the lead.

Don't approach Diddy when he has a nanner in front of him AND when he's under a platform, like you did at the end of game 3. That's an awful spot to approach at. =/

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
that's one of the xxx reasons for me to hate yi...
it's one of my least favorite stages. i just cant handle with these platforms...

and good idea with that grab/dash attack thingey! =)

D

Deleted member

Slice your yoshi is tight.
That said, you could be much much better. It seems like you almost dont care if you get hit, you just sorta go and go for the combos and the grabs and the approaches even if its not the best time to do that. You get the combo and then you go for more. I like how aggressive you are, but at the same time it costs you. You are a good player so lots of times you do land the risky stuff which lets you get momentum, but against a momentum character like diddy its better to not press your luck too much in neutral position, especially since diddy can easily get the momentum off a bad approach and carry it to win (see: game 1 XD)

In game 2 at 3:50 you see you commit to a random running upsmash at nothing. You had chosen what you were gonna do without reacting to see what he did. You do stuff like that a lot: it looks like you know what you are gonna do without even reacting to what hes gonna do.

On the other hand its friendlies and that stuff is tight :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Top Bottom