• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You know, I saved a replay of me fighting HRNUT in a friendly in which I did a rising f-air while he was on the ground, just barely hit him upwards with him DI'ing to the right, and did a u-air to KO him. One of the funniest kills ever, and it may have actually been a combo (although doubtful). XD

Unfortunately... I don't know who's Wii I saved the replay file in. It was a really cool looking KO, though. Maybe I should ask around... :(

EDIT: Those are the GreenAce and DC I know, Airborne. :laugh:

:069:

bigman40

Smash Master
o.o oops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--0UvFflMQ
that video was something hilarious that edge found i think.
ironically, that's not Delta-Cod or the GOOD green ace.
Ok. I'ma give you the enchilada about what I think you should work on and what you should be looking out for.

1st match​

00:10 - 00:12 - I'll take this as a MU inexperience thing. Egg laying Oli when he's facing you is a bad idea simply from the random chances of him getting a purple pikmin out. If you can micro well enough to see what he's cycling through, then you can make that kind of move, but for the most part, you don't want this as your opening move.

00:15 - 00:17 - That spotdodge probably costed you a chance to hit him. You had no reason to spotdodge there since he was already dodging to land back on the ground. At the worst case, you could just decide to shield and let react to what he does.

00:19 - 00:20 - Not really recommending the use of Usmash is your opponent isn't higher up. Ftilt at low percents can keep your spacing better (Ftilt keeps Yoshi's body out of range while Usmash forces you to charge in).

00:45 - 00:47 - Oli is too close to you for you to ECE safely. It was fine since he was camping in the shield, but don't get into ECEing for more than like 2 throws. Also, to note about his shield camping, that's when you can use egg lay to punish. Coming from above (00:22) would've gave you a free grab on him.

1:04 - Noooo! Don't use Dsmash unless you KNOW it's gonna land. Not only did you do that, but you jabbed just once after he rolled. When you did that, you should have been able to just turn and punish accordingly instead of relying on Dsmash to get him (unless you would've turned the Dsmash to hit him out of his roll, then I would've been fine).

1:12 - Why would you Fair Oli when he was running behind you? Plus, why was you chasing that hard? You're not at the advantage from that point. Oli got to the ground safely and could retaliate to whatever you could've chosen. Your best option was to just reset the playing field.

1:33 - Mixup where you land. Because we have the fastest aerial speed doesn't mean that we will be safe all the time when recovering. We may have slow acceleration, but you can move backwards when he starts running to anticipate your landing to keep him from hitting/grabbing you.

1:50 - Stop rolling.

1:53 - Stop the random DownBs in hopes to land one. Remember, shields are the best options in this game (except MK) and most people will shield first to see what you're doing.

2:27 - 2:37 - Being far too aggressive. Someone that knew what to do can seriously hurt you when you get that aggressive to where you have no defense.

3:21 - 3:24 - Just wait for his movement. You're doing too much work right there and all of it went to you getting punished. While we're on this part, why did you Nair when you were recovering? He's not close to you, and Nair doesn't have MK priority. Recovery is first.

3:30 - Good mindgame.

3:33 - MU inexperience? Oli's love to whistle when recovering so that they can live longer. Bait it man. You don't need to get punished like that.

3:42 - Stop rolling.

3:44 - Don't air approach someone like that ever. your risk meter is like this: 100:0 (dangerous/safe).

3:55 - 4:00 - Oli = shield campers. Abuse that and force them to spotdodge. You should be thinking about how they're reacting to your choices.

4:03 - Stop excessively spotdodging.

4:03 - 5:03 - Stop excessively downbing.

5:03 - You know what blindspots Yoshi have. Don't try to force them into a situation that's not appropriate.

5:07 - Stop rolling.

Overall:​

Too much spotdodging, rolling, and downBing. You need to fix those and get them out of your habits if you want to have better chances vs better players.

Learn to access and think quickly about your choices and what you can do to minimize damage in the least way possible (this doesn't have to apply every time though). If you have to reset the playing field, then do so. You have time, so there's no need to rush your way into danger.

Know the general information about MUs. You don't want to be going into a match like you just did there. You should know what moves/strats/etc. are going to be abused.

I have too much stuff to do to get into the second one, but I'll tell you this: When you gain a lead your objective should be to keep that stock as long as possible while adding chip damage. When you get too aggressive, you fall into dumb things (if you watch your vids, you died the same way for life 1 and 2). You should be controlling the pace of the game and you should make him do what you want.

Airborne

Smash Lord

Ok. I'ma give you the enchilada about what I think you should work on and what you should be looking out for.

1st match​

00:10 - 00:12 - I'll take this as a MU inexperience thing. Egg laying Oli when he's facing you is a bad idea simply from the random chances of him getting a purple pikmin out. If you can micro well enough to see what he's cycling through, then you can make that kind of move, but for the most part, you don't want this as your opening move.

00:15 - 00:17 - That spotdodge probably costed you a chance to hit him. You had no reason to spotdodge there since he was already dodging to land back on the ground. At the worst case, you could just decide to shield and let react to what he does.

00:19 - 00:20 - Not really recommending the use of Usmash is your opponent isn't higher up. Ftilt at low percents can keep your spacing better (Ftilt keeps Yoshi's body out of range while Usmash forces you to charge in).

00:45 - 00:47 - Oli is too close to you for you to ECE safely. It was fine since he was camping in the shield, but don't get into ECEing for more than like 2 throws. Also, to note about his shield camping, that's when you can use egg lay to punish. Coming from above (00:22) would've gave you a free grab on him.

1:04 - Noooo! Don't use Dsmash unless you KNOW it's gonna land. Not only did you do that, but you jabbed just once after he rolled. When you did that, you should have been able to just turn and punish accordingly instead of relying on Dsmash to get him (unless you would've turned the Dsmash to hit him out of his roll, then I would've been fine).

1:12 - Why would you Fair Oli when he was running behind you? Plus, why was you chasing that hard? You're not at the advantage from that point. Oli got to the ground safely and could retaliate to whatever you could've chosen. Your best option was to just reset the playing field.

1:33 - Mixup where you land. Because we have the fastest aerial speed doesn't mean that we will be safe all the time when recovering. We may have slow acceleration, but you can move backwards when he starts running to anticipate your landing to keep him from hitting/grabbing you.

1:50 - Stop rolling.

1:53 - Stop the random DownBs in hopes to land one. Remember, shields are the best options in this game (except MK) and most people will shield first to see what you're doing.

2:27 - 2:37 - Being far too aggressive. Someone that knew what to do can seriously hurt you when you get that aggressive to where you have no defense.

3:21 - 3:24 - Just wait for his movement. You're doing too much work right there and all of it went to you getting punished. While we're on this part, why did you Nair when you were recovering? He's not close to you, and Nair doesn't have MK priority. Recovery is first.

3:30 - Good mindgame.

3:33 - MU inexperience? Oli's love to whistle when recovering so that they can live longer. Bait it man. You don't need to get punished like that.

3:42 - Stop rolling.

3:44 - Don't air approach someone like that ever. your risk meter is like this: 100:0 (dangerous/safe).

3:55 - 4:00 - Oli = shield campers. Abuse that and force them to spotdodge. You should be thinking about how they're reacting to your choices.

4:03 - Stop excessively spotdodging.

4:03 - 5:03 - Stop excessively downbing.

5:03 - You know what blindspots Yoshi have. Don't try to force them into a situation that's not appropriate.

5:07 - Stop rolling.

Overall:​

Too much spotdodging, rolling, and downBing. You need to fix those and get them out of your habits if you want to have better chances vs better players.

Learn to access and think quickly about your choices and what you can do to minimize damage in the least way possible (this doesn't have to apply every time though). If you have to reset the playing field, then do so. You have time, so there's no need to rush your way into danger.

Know the general information about MUs. You don't want to be going into a match like you just did there. You should know what moves/strats/etc. are going to be abused.

I have too much stuff to do to get into the second one, but I'll tell you this: When you gain a lead your objective should be to keep that stock as long as possible while adding chip damage. When you get too aggressive, you fall into dumb things (if you watch your vids, you died the same way for life 1 and 2). You should be controlling the pace of the game and you should make him do what you want.
thanks, scatz. =) i knew about the downb'ing and dodge rolling; the downb was b/c i wasn't in the right mindset, and the excessive rolling was from my failed attemptsat pivot grabbing (did the input too fast...)
i also need to learn how to implement the oli MU into my gameplay, because i don't ever recall having ever beaten a decent+ oli in tournament (pools included...) i seem to get shut down by them because of it. =\ but i'll be sure to work on that spotdodging issue, as well as all of the minor ones.

i love it when scatz ****'s a brick. XD

bigman40

Smash Master
No problem.

I'm probably going to no longer post vids here for a while. My only method about knowing whether I have new vids will be on my youtube page. Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

Sharky

Smash Master
those were some sexy egglays. Pretty decent Yoshi. Don't limit yourself to pivot grabs after grab releases, though. Get some upsmashes, or standing grabs.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Wow Fingerp@ss, I'm impressed. And trust me, you gotta be good as yoshi to impress me. Definitely the best cyan yoshi out there.

On a side note, stocky isn't the first yoshi main to quit yoshi for wolf, P@ss is. Where you at Beau?

D

Deleted member

Fingerpass is maaad good ^_^
And i knew that christian, fingerpass was givin me wolf tips.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Wow Fingerp@ss, I'm impressed. And trust me, you gotta be good as yoshi to impress me. Definitely the best cyan yoshi out there.

On a side note, stocky isn't the first yoshi main to quit yoshi for wolf, P@ss is. Where you at Beau?
*insert rage here*

Pass is good, just too much Dash Attack where a grab would have been better. Especially since it's Wario, and there are plenty of delicious GR options to choose from. =D

Metatitan

Smash Master
*insert rage here*

Pass is good, just too much Dash Attack where a grab would have been better. Especially since it's Wario, and there are plenty of delicious GR options to choose from. =D
Hawaii has no warios, like he wouldve known the MU. Also hes much better than you :D

bigman40

Smash Master
Already getting into arguments about who's better and ****. Man up and get better. It's nice to have some friendly competition, but this arguing bull**** drives the better yoshis away.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hawaii has no warios, like he wouldve known the MU. Also hes much better than you :D
There are no Warios in Hawaii? Wow, that's pretty cool. XD

Already getting into arguments about who's better and ****. Man up and get better. It's nice to have some friendly competition, but this arguing bull**** drives the better yoshis away.
I wasn't serious in the slightest. >.>

Metatitan

Smash Master
PX is definitely one of the better warios but I wouldn't consider him "pro", there aren't many "pros" out there and I believe the only wario who definitely qualifies for that is fiction.

Still, good **** for your first time playing a good wario.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Fingerp@ss' DR stuff was blowing my mind. I'd never encountered it until I played him (at least not in that frecuency) XD

@Metatitan - what's your definition of a pro, out of curiosity?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Meta's definition of "pro": is west coast and/or has beaten m2k.

also, is not using uair like a new yoshi thing? because i am starting to see several yoshis not using it to juggle at low %'s now...

Metatitan

Smash Master
Fingerp@ss' DR stuff was blowing my mind. I'd never encountered it until I played him (at least not in that frecuency) XD

My definition of a pro is simply a top player. You're good but would you consider yourself a top player?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
My definition of a pro is simply a top player. You're good but would you consider yourself a top player?
I guess that also depends on your definition of top. I'm currently 6th in TX and contend with Gnes, Dojo, and Razer every time we meet in tournament. If I have a problem it's being non-committal towards this game, lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
PhantomX was pro enough to wreck us. That's good enough for me.

On a lighter note, Yoshi shenanigans are great. I loved that set. lol

auroreon

Smash Ace
holy ****, p@ss, i had no idea you could cancel a downb slide by DRing... good **** with mindgames. @___@
and why is it that cyan yoshis rarely use uair? o.o
I use Uair D=
One of my personal favourite moves Yoshi has actually. =)

Thats just a taste of how good DR is, if only other Yoshis would start to implement it more...
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about Metas definition of 'pro'... I don't suspect its very accurate =P

Had a quick look at one p@ss's vids but unfortuanatly don't have time to finish watching and offer feedbak atm... I will come back soon to do so.
But from what I have seen looks fairly impressive.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Here are a couple recent videos (finally). Feel free to critique me however you wish.

Poltergust vs. Meta Knight
Poltergust vs. Snake

These were actually my 2nd and 3rd matches agaist RadiX. We didn't record the 1st one, unfortunately. He won that one.

Your opponent was either really bad at yoshi or just bad in general. You did punish his mistakes pretty well, but he made a ton.

Overall you're spammy with your attacks, too straight forward, too predictable, and even though ur able to hit some people with f smash fully charged, don't make a habit of it. There were pretty much like, two times where I was like "oh, didn't see that coming". You need to work on spacing other attacks than just your Bair.

I don't think you're bad, I don't think you're good, I don't think you're hopeless. Take it how you will.

D

Deleted member

Lol.

Kinda what meta said, i dont think the opponent was bad just not good at yoshi but lets see:

You play like, old fashioned style yoshi i guess. All countering, predictable with running grab, and that.

Good countering with usmash..
I think yoshi players need to start thinking outside the box.
You dont have to DR, but at least try to expand yoshis metagame instead of just rehashing the same stuff like i keep seeing.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, that's better than what you've been saying before. =P

(By the way, people really need to learn to stop gliding into my f-smashes. Seriously. <_<)

EDIT: I guess my style would be a passive offense. I wait until someone makes a mistake or I surprise them with something, then I go all out until I can't string any more attacks.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That music was entirely too entertaining. Also great stage versus Snake. :D

Um, just a few things since nobody really likes my opinions on the Snake matchup, but some general things I think you really can't go wrong with. First, don't forget that neutral air can go straight through mortars, even if they're coming up from below. I think you moved out of the way of one around 3:30 or near there and I winced and was like, "Oh man, if Snake catches him here, it could hurt," but he didn't but still! If you use neutral air in situations where you're not in immediate danger of getting blasted by a tilt or something, you can safely beat the mortar without putting yourself in extra danger. Second, when getting in a tossing match with Snake, when he uses his A button to throw grenades, there are specific Egg Toss angles which will intercept his grenades at most reasonable distances. The tosses you were using were going just over his grenades and it was making problems for you a little bit, so maybe try experimenting with that a little more. Finally, I noticed you both were very comfortable in the middle of the stage; this may just be personal bias, but I think Snake is at his worst in the matchup when you can get him near the edge with lots of grabs. You got in with some decent Egg Lays, but I think regular grabs near the edge followed by some staunch edgeguarding would give you a more considerable lead in the match.

I enjoyed watching it mostly and the music made it really fun, too. :D

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, that mortar barely missed me. I was like, "Oh crap!" :laugh:

You are totally right about the Grenades, though. I got hit by them a rather embarrassing amount of times, more than I usually do, really. You can see at 3:04 how I almost died by two Grenade explosions. I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. :ohwell:

Oh, and I'm actually pretty good at edge-guarding Snake, usually (this video doesn't show Snake recovering a lot, sadly). If they have to use their Cipher I can usually get the spike on them, and when they C4 recover I just foot-stool them. =D

Airborne

Smash Lord
hey guys, this is still relevant to videos, but some of you know that i've been working on making a critique thread and such to help kentucky become a more respectable smash state (since we're already recognized as a top state for playing Guilty Gear...), and i was wondering if there's anything else that you all think i should mention in the thread, or if you can help me find any guides that will help these kentucky players get on the right track to getting good.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=1123479#p1123479

I'm going to add some of Shiri's guides, which inspired me to look at everything in a different perspective, as well as inspiring me to help kentucky, and some guides that scatz sent me to read when I had reached that plateau of not knowing how to improve.

Tell me whatcha think :)

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
Hello Yoshi Boards!

I'm Xnpio.

My buddy P-Rice & I are starting to try to be competitive brawlers, and we're posting vids online for the first time.

He's maining Yoshi, and as such, we wanted to come here to get him some feedback to improve his game.

So far, we've only got one..(sorry, more are coming as soon as they're uploaded, probably tomorrow) But we would really appreciate it if you could help us out by giving him (I'll be posting in PT boards for feedback on my performance) some feedback on his performance..

This definitely isn't one of our best matches. Keep that in mind. :p

Anyway, here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O58q3PPuSW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTkRcws9MI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG_iOWtF-hk
There will be more coming shortly!

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
He's lurking here.. He just wanted to go to bed last night before I posted them, but I wanted to post them for us before I went to sleep lol.

He'll probably be posting the next ones for himself. :p

SOVAman

Smash Hero
He's lurking here.. He just wanted to go to bed last night before I posted them, but I wanted to post them for us before I went to sleep lol.

He'll probably be posting the next ones for himself. :p
So your brothers i hope

o.O or did i read something wrong?

btw: i am just messing with you i dont like to critic vids but i like to post alot

Top Bottom