• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I has offline vids =D
Me vs awex, one of the top olimars in socal(he 2-0d edrees). He wasnt campin as much as usual, and this is like my first set winning vs him.

Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncZZNQF5mA

This is round 3/4 of our set. 1 +2 will be up later today.
Pretty beastly stuff =)
Got better but I think you used the egg lay a little to much in the first match and it looked to have got you punished also try to force the approach more on olimar instead of dash grab all the time because yoshi is pretty comfortable waiting to punish approaches when he gets close pivot grab jab Bair anything really can punish an approach from olimar but it is hard to approach since Bair is punishable if you do not poke or cross up on olimar it is hard to space an olimar with really any aireal with yoshi ino you won but try to stick a little bit more to the basic which you did most of the match instead of excessive egg lays and DJs

D

Deleted member

Yoshi cant out camp olimar. Ever.
If you do, they are camping wrong.
I actually normally dont play like that in any other matchups, i almost never double jump nair or any of that, but it was workin so yea.

Egg lay *****, you'll see in the other matches.

We played 1 set before this so those were i think the 8th and 9th matches we had played in a row.
I almost never fair that much either(i hate that move), but it worked i guess. I noticed i was dairing after getting hit, which was dumb too.

Ill take that stuff in mind tho, i was trying to be kinda flashy too because we were also filming for my combo video =)

Dtilt ***** olimar hardcore =P

Edit: Bwett, its a turnarournd RDJC egg lay =)

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I can see how an olimar can out camp but I understand that you were trying to be flashy for a combo vid so you would try to use more fairs and egg lays

also D-tilt is **** I found something out fo' doubles today I will tell or release later it is too goods

also my semi campy *** loves the D-tilt but I also love the Dsmash at times to

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Dyz69:

- The egg roll delay is an interesting idea, though in this case, it wasn't so much a mindgame as it was just happening to catch Marth mid-move. But yeah, it could have its uses.
- Was there any reason you were just lying on the ground in the beginning of the Marth match? You could have taken the opportunity to put yourself in a position to counter his return to the stage, or retreated and thrown eggs.
- The down-B into the pit against Marth was extremely risky, and even though it ultimately worked out really well, I wouldn't recommend doing that again.
- At 1:27 vs. Marth, I would have just dropped down. If Marth were to follow you down, you could have thrown an egg, upsmashed, or uaired. If Marth just waited for the stage to change back, the situation would have just reset, only you'd have a little more room to maneuver because you wouldn't be starting from the ledge.
- Avoid dash attacking the opponent when he's at very low percentages (like you did at 4:14 and 4:33 vs. Marth) because even if you hit him, he recovers fast enough to punish you while you're still in the end lag (unless he's right on the edge and you can push him off, like at 4:09 vs. Marth and at 1:18 vs. Juan).
- Try dtilt. It has good range (the best of Yoshi's moves?), and although it does less damage and comes out a little slower than dsmash, it has a lot less ending lag. Also, I think you should throw more eggs, in general.
- Retreating fairs look pretty good; I should try that. The retreating fair to bait the nair, followed by fsmash at 0:52 vs. Marth was nice, as was the fair spike to footstool vs. Juan. Be careful with the spacing, though, like at 1:27,where Marth rolled back to give himself a little more time to react, and killed you.

On a more random note, what's with the 3rd player that just kills himself at the beginning of some wifi matches?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Hey guys. I won a tourney today (Yoshi for the whole thing) ^^. One of my friends set up a video camera to record the grand finals (best 3/5). I was in the winner's bracket so my opponent would have had to beat me in two best 3/5s to win, but that wasn't an issue. I beat my opponent 3 straight matches against G&W, MK, then Kirby. So, whenever my friend gets around to posting the videos, I'll post a link to 'em.

Oh yeah, I'll be at Genesis if anyone else is going then I'll see you there ^^

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Dyz69:

- The egg roll delay is an interesting idea, though in this case, it wasn't so much a mindgame as it was just happening to catch Marth mid-move. But yeah, it could have its uses.
- Was there any reason you were just lying on the ground in the beginning of the Marth match? You could have taken the opportunity to put yourself in a position to counter his return to the stage, or retreated and thrown eggs.
- The down-B into the pit against Marth was extremely risky, and even though it ultimately worked out really well, I wouldn't recommend doing that again.
- At 1:27 vs. Marth, I would have just dropped down. If Marth were to follow you down, you could have thrown an egg, upsmashed, or uaired. If Marth just waited for the stage to change back, the situation would have just reset, only you'd have a little more room to maneuver because you wouldn't be starting from the ledge.
- Avoid dash attacking the opponent when he's at very low percentages (like you did at 4:14 and 4:33 vs. Marth) because even if you hit him, he recovers fast enough to punish you while you're still in the end lag (unless he's right on the edge and you can push him off, like at 4:09 vs. Marth and at 1:18 vs. Juan).
- Try dtilt. It has good range (the best of Yoshi's moves?), and although it does less damage and comes out a little slower than dsmash, it has a lot less ending lag. Also, I think you should throw more eggs, in general.
- Retreating fairs look pretty good; I should try that. The retreating fair to bait the nair, followed by fsmash at 0:52 vs. Marth was nice, as was the fair spike to footstool vs. Juan. Be careful with the spacing, though, like at 1:27,where Marth rolled back to give himself a little more time to react, and killed you.

On a more random note, what's with the 3rd player that just kills himself at the beginning of some wifi matches?

Also Thank you Bwett for finding an interest in the Egg Delay, i hope someday
your able to use it for maybe that one moment slowing down your Egg roll
speed could have saved you from that counter ^_^
Cough...Marth...Cough...

-Egg Delay:
oh well it doesnt always Work that much i know, but i guess the best way to use it
is to change the aproaching speed of your egg roll the reason why i tried slowing it
down is because some people started expecting me to get close to them at

certain speeds when i did this delay they for some reason just continued doing what
they were used to when hearing my Yoshi pop into the egg roll
wich caused them to mess up and recieve damage have also seen it stop some
attacks but i need to keep trying it more often to see what resuslt i come up with

-About the Vs Marth Match:
when i Re-viewed it when you told me why i just stood there...i really cant remember
as you could tell by the end of the 2nd match with Marth my mom was talking to me
i was probably answering one of her Random questions lol....¬_¬

aahh yes that risky Down B, i knew he wanted to Chain Grab me but i wanted
to risk it anyway and it worked but i know that i must avoid getting in there
most people chaing grab or Jab lock in that stage but thanks

ah yes my habbit to Dash A at low percentages, i know it doesnt work but somehow i keep doing it...ill try to rip it out of my habbit it really kills me sometimes i think with that
one fight with Juan, but ill try changing that with Dtilts instead to follow up other moves
thanks for that notice and im glad you liked the Spike i did to Juan to bad i lost XD
i am using more eggz now..but i also noticed i use them improperly its leaving me wide
open, i am now currently experimenting what amount of eggs and When is best to use
them

and finaly i am Happy that you watched and still your the only one to comment with
this much Feed back OH that pit player who suicided is my Friend Aish was recording
the matches Live, you know kind of how Live Streams work for tournaments
they had a Capture card and they did me and juan the favor to upload them ^_^
Thanks again Silent i know you wont reply twice to this but i know your saying
*your Welcomed* ^_^

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright, I've been thinking about how alot of people say that Yoshi loses to MK since he outright can beat Yoshi. Before, I was thinking that if you continued to keep pressure (yes, play aggressive) at mid range and get stage control, then Yoshi would be able to take him on. Lately, I noticed that Stage control and Speed Spacing (yep, I call it a new word ^.^) are key to Yoshi's matchups. Sockz showed a good example of what I mean here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiIKB2CFGdk&feature=related

He played the way I thought that would be correct to handle MK's speed. And I give him good props on playing well too.

D

Deleted member

Eh that match was iffy, but yea, you cant play defensive the whole time against good MKs. Gotta take advantage when you can.

Btw, this is actually match 3+4, its MUCH better, we both play much much better even tho i get less flashy stuff, this is more of my playstyle, less DJs and fairs and stuff.

Watch in high quality, its much better
Awex said he kinda wasnt payin attention first matches :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoMi5Tjzxi8
I failed to post my video the first time but posted this isntead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4
Its still good tho

Chaco

Never Logs In
Eh that match was iffy, but yea, you cant play defensive the whole time against good MKs. Gotta take advantage when you can.

Btw, this is actually match 3+4, its MUCH better, we both play much much better even tho i get less flashy stuff, this is more of my playstyle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4
Watch in high quality, its much better
Awex said he kinda wasnt payin attention first matches :p
Greatest video ever. I watch it everyday for inspiration.

D

Deleted member

oops, wrong link hahahaha
Wow, get ***** me =)

I edited the post with the actual vid =)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I have not. I didn't even know you could do that. How would I go about doing such a thing?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

If you want to contribute tournament results, please provide the following:
MAKE SURE IT WAS AT LEAST 13 PEOPLE IN THE TOURNAMENT
Number of entrants
Entry fee
Where it was (what state it was in, or something)
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8
Link to tournament page or results page

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Thanks Silent. Got the results posted.

EDIT: My friend uploaded the grand finals matches. Sorry the 2nd and 3rd matches aren't broken up. He didn't hit stop on his camera so the 2nd and 3rd matches are in one mass, 10-minute video. Also, sorry for the bad quality. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing to record and that's the best angle/quality that we could get.

Matches uploaded further down the page due to URLs being too long.

Comment greatly appreciated of course ^^

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
All of your green-colored video links contain malformed ID's, or they simply don't load.
Just for your information.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
All of your green-colored video links contain malformed ID's, or they simply don't load.
Just for your information.
Hmmm.. It seems like that's the case with all the green-colored links (not just mine).

Hey Scarlet, do you get an error when you try to click on them? It may just be something wrong at this moment but it could be a persistent problem.

Wow... is there any way that we could not put that video up? That was by far the most pathetic match I've ever seen from a Yoshi player and because we don't know who it was, we can't offer any constructive criticism to him. My eyes are bleeding from the terribleness that I have just witnessed...

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
-Yoshssb Tourney Vids
i watched 2 and 3, that final battle with Kirby was really close you almost lost it but you spring back
now i did noticed a few things with Kirby the most
-watch out you tried to grab to many times with running not just did you lagged but kirby nailed you
a lot of times his Dair so watch out at some point try switching it out with Uair

-you dont really like Egg roll do you? you never used it, one thing i know about yoshi is that you
need to use all of his moves, now Truth be told egg roll aggaints Meta Knight can be suicidal
but there were a few times with Kirby it could have help you especialy in orhpeon second platform
it can travel faster you could alos use the slopes for Down B, tough watch out sometimes it can
pull you foward to an unwanting position

-you got nice Edge Cancel, but i notice you use a DJ for it, try using this only when your opponent is
far you can get gimped easely like how Meta knight lead you to jump back with DJ, cause you
used your Up B, once

-you use Egg lay nicely, i tend to miss with that and when i do we do the same Uair, and fast fall to eggz
over all great matches dude now im sure Silent would give a lot more info but this is what i most noticed
in your matches keep it up and lets put Yoshi name up high brother ^_^

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
-Yoshssb Tourney Vids
i watched 2 and 3, that final battle with Kirby was really close you almost lost it but you spring back
-watch out you tried to grab to many times with running not just did you lagged but kirby nailed you
a lot of times his Dair so watch out at some point try switching it out with Uair

-you dont really like Egg roll do you? you never used it, one thing i know about yoshi is that you
need to use all of his moves, now Truth be told egg roll aggaints Meta Knight can be suicidal
but there were a few times with Kirby it could have help you especialy in orhpeon second platform
it can travel faster you could alos use the slopes for Down B, tough watch out sometimes it can

-you got nice Edge Cancel, but i notice you use a DJ for it, try using this only when your opponent is
far you can get gimped easely like how Meta knight lead you to jump back with DJ, cause you
used your Up B, once

-you use Egg lay nicely, i tend to miss with that and when i do we do the same Uair, and fast fall to eggz
over all great matches dude now im sure Silent would give a lot more info but this is what i most noticed
Thanks for the Kirby tips. All the matches in that tournament (with the exception of the finals) were best 2/3 games and throughout the tourney, I only lost two games but both of them were to random Kirby players. I've only fought a couple of them before so I wasn't sure about the lag situation on most of his moves so my timing was thrown off quite a bit on a lot of stuff.

About the edge cancel, are you talking about when I throw an egg while hanging on the ledge and then grab on again? If you are then I don't double jump when I use it. I have tap-jump off and I don't push X/Y when I'm using it so there's no point when I would ever use it on purpose or accidentally. There are times when I intentionally would hit away from the stage and purposefully avoid grabbing the edge as a spacing tactic and then I would use my 2nd jump to get back onto the stage. The one time that the Meta Knight killed me was because I didn't dodge quickly enough to avoid his neutral aerial. The reason I sometimes pull away from the edge on purpose is because some times my opponent tries to attack me while I'm using it which can put me in a bad situation (see the G&W video for a good visual reference when he uses the forward smash and down smash when I'm on the edge - it's around 1:15 in the video) so I hit away so as to still hit my opponent with an egg and I'm safely out of range from being hit.

About the egg-roll. I'll look into finding uses for it (especially on sloped stages) but no promises. 9/10 times when I use it, it ends with me taking more damage then my opponent so I try to stay away from it if I can. You should check out the G&W video. I'm actually most proud of that one because honestly that's the first time I've ever beaten a serious G&W player. Maybe I just have to be in a tournament setting to get the adrenaline pumping, heh. Anyway, thanks for the critiques and comments man.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Hmmm.. It seems like that's the case with all the green-colored links (not just mine).

Hey Scarlet, do you get an error when you try to click on them? It may just be something wrong at this moment but it could be a persistent problem.
It's a problem with URLs posted that are too long to copy/paste and become auto-shortened by Smashboards.

Apologies for this oversight, if those of you whose videos are malformed could re-post them so that I can click each individual link to copy the actual source URL, that would be greatly appreciated.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
It's a problem with URLs posted that are too long to copy/paste and become auto-shortened by Smashboards.

Apologies for this oversight, if those of you whose videos are malformed could re-post them so that I can click each individual link to copy the actual source URL, that would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcyIuU-e-oU <== vs. Ike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-GiK0FVn0 <== vs. Fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lk82nBvEc <== vs. Fox (1/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRVHTK1skdY <== vs. Fox (2/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj-w6i1nlmw <== vs. Fox (3/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oelrBipbcDg <== vs. Diddy (1/2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9stGPu_iQ <== vs. Diddy (2/2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plGDizkeN_Q <== vs. Zelda/Sheik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDu-YsnidY <== tournament finals best 3/5 match 1 vs. Game & Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5NgcCMu7U <== tournament finals best 3/5 matches 2 and 3 vs. Meta Knight and Kirby

That's all of mine that would have been messed up. Thanks Scarlet!

Metatitan

Smash Master
-Yoshssb Tourney Vids

used your Up B, once

Egg roll is worthless offline. Now if these were online that would be another story... (i didnt watch them so if they were online correct me)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
About the edge cancel, are you talking about when I throw an egg while hanging on the ledge and then grab on again? If you are then I don't double jump when I use it.
Yeah, I think Green Ace is the only one I've ever seen use the DJ for the ECE, where he would drop down, jump back up, and egg toss.

Nice use of egg lay (I especially liked the reversed one at 1:51 vs. GW). And a nice retreating reversed-egg lay to fsmash at 2:20.

Beautiful down-B kill on MK at 1:31. You eventually realized that the grab-release-to-fair doesn't work on MK when you're right on the edge. Apparently, that's only guaranteed when you're a certain distance from the edge (about where the arrow point is on FD). So when you were CGing from 1:47-1:52, you might have been able to spike him at 1:49. You had a nice idea with the mixup at 4:22 off of the grab release, since he was probably expecting another run off-->spike attempt. Too bad it didn't work.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189699

I'm not a fan of the down-B out of the air (8:28). I only use it out of the air to either to grab the ledge, or, once in a while, after I've baited an uair by quickly double jumping when they're about to hit me, and then using down-B.

I agree with Dyz about the dash grab. By my count, you were successful on 3/9 dashgrabs vs. GW, 6/9 vs. MK (not counting the continuations on the CG), and 1/8 vs. Kirby (although the one at 8:47 looked like a botched pivot grab attempt). While the numbers might be a little off if I missed a couple dashgrabs, it definitely looks like he adjusted to your dash grab use. So mix in some dairs/charged upsmashes.

Nice job on the win. WAH WAH WAWAH :)

Chaco

Never Logs In
One of my matches verse Atomsk at a recent tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVM5EC-1uxw&feature=channel

Believe it or not, that was me at my best. Atomsk is considered to be one of the best DDD's in the country. This is how a Yoshi needs to fight a pro DDD in my opinion. Keep away and play smart. Stay away from up tilts.
Amazing playing Pride.

And yes Atomsk is an extraordinary player. You did amazing. Great job.

Metatitan

Smash Master
dayum pride ur the **** ;o

mabey a little more egg lay? idunno it seems to work nicely a lot on dd from what ive seen

Metatitan

Smash Master

Believe it or not, that was me at my best. Atomsk is considered to be one of the best DDD's in the country. This is how a Yoshi needs to fight a pro DDD in my opinion. Keep away and play smart. Stay away from up tilts.
i would personally just use jigglypuff against a ddd cuz that cg on castle siege was just plain mean :(

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377

no random fsmashes or usmashes. that will get you chain grabbed or uptilted. Use less laggy moves if ddd is in the kill % since d3 has naturally more laggy moves than yoshi. You will have more opportunities to punish then he does. besides fmash and usmash don't have the best knock back and are predictable so even if he does get hit he can DI it easy.

Metatitan

Smash Master
no random fsmashes or usmashes. that will get you chain grabbed or uptilted. Use less laggy moves if ddd is in the kill % since d3 has naturally more laggy moves than yoshi. You will have more opportunities to punish then he does. besides fmash and usmash don't have the best knock back and are predictable so even if he does get hit he can DI it easy.
I dont think a professional ddd is gonna be using laggy *** moves when hes in a kill %...

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I got 4th in a tourney today. No videos this time. I'll just say that I had to fight 5 (yes 5) Game & Watches in a row. All of them went to a 3rd match (best 2/3 tournament double elimination) and I lost to the same Game & Watch that beat me in the winner's bracket. That G&W went on to win the tourney (with MK as his alternate) winning 6 matches in a row against the Dedede from the winner's bracket. I'll post the results of the tournament on the tournament thread whenever the final results bracket gets posted online.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just posting to say PRiDE is GG versus King Dedede and that I <3 Jile lots.

Top Bottom