• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tibs7

Smash Champion
lol wtf air stalling isnt allowed in any tournament why is this such a problem now?
you melee guys probably havent watched enough brawl to know what is gay and what is gay enough to be told off for. (this statement is not meant to be offensive, im truely sorry if it is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbmu8fGcWaw

this will give you an indication of what ill be looking at

Sieg

Smash Champion
I loled.

This rule set is turning Brawl into Melee.

Just ban MK and get it over and done with.

Plank plays Brawl how it's meant to be played. Pretty much what you're saying is that "This move is effective in winning the game, but it makes it look slow, so we'll ban it to make the game faster paced aka Melee." If you don't like it, come play Melee with QLD. <3

Dekar289

Smash Hero
nothing wrong with that video tibs tbh

has 'air stalling' really been banned in major tournaments? thats incredible

tibs7

Smash Champion
if everyone played like plank im almost positive they would ban metaknight.
but luckily in aus nobody does so there is no need.

edit: well it looks like all the melee people that play brawl are upset by this. so forget the whole air stalling thing.

@dekar: yeah if you heard about genesis. forget who played though it was a GnW vs falco and all the GnW did was jump up and down, up and down and i think the decision was firstly made to dq him but it was reversed after further review, shaya will tell you bout it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, I should have said that Plank plays the game in the most effective way.

Apparently playing good is bannable.

It's just like saying that Dhalsim is cheap because all you do is long range poke and then teleport to the other side of the screen.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
has 'air stalling' really been banned in major tournaments? thats incredible
No, it hasn't. Air camping does not put you in an unreachable position; not stalling; not banned.

if everyone played like plank im almost positive they would ban metaknight.
but luckily in aus nobody does so there is no need.
tbh.

If everyone played like plank then everyone would be forced to find a solution to the playstyle and we wouldn't need this kind of discussion. :)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
^in that match it wouldn't be very fun for the person playing dhalsim, if they weren't better than dhalsim and couldn't beat that tactic

we'd better make a 'dhalsim teleporting and using long range poke moves' ban rule

Splice

Smash Hero
This is already a stupid debate about banning the best way to play (might as well tell us to walk right into diddys bananas ffs tibs), but we dont need a Dekar vs Sieg moment in the middle of it, if that's where this is going lol.

tibs7

Smash Champion
@splice: so this is the way to play against diddy? mmmmmm i dont know if you've seen m2k play a diddykong before but im sure he doesnt use all 8mins......
ill check it again.

and dw guys i saw this coming. so there will be no stupid god dam n air stalling rule yay
back to happy days

Splice

Smash Hero
I didnt say timing out was the way to play Diddy, but the way he played up to that point was how he should. PS1 is a Diddy CP and with the stage changes, his reaction was viable, as far as not taking % damage for stupid reasons goes. Then at the end when the clock had run very far down, well, he had the oppurtunity and he took it. It's like the game offered him a win (just stay away for a short time) or a chance to lose (attack Diddy). No you don't have to time the clock out against Diddy, but platform abuse, and staying in the air for almost the entire game, are both very large parts of the way to play against Diddy, why else would FD be his best stage?

No need to be silly about the fact that people disagree with you, either.

tibs7

Smash Champion
so the way he was playing is how he should be playing diddy on ps1? splice dont do this to me pleeeeaasssseeeee. i seriously cbf'ed
just watch m2k verse az or some shiz, and then watch plank vs whoever it was. compare the matches on ps1, playstyles are similar in ways but also alot different....
m2k doesnt really play like plank and hes the best in the world, i dont know about you but i would be playing like m2k and not some guy named plank....meh splice dw there is still a place in my heart for you

ps if this doesnt make sense tell me and ill probly do something about it tomozzzz

Splice

Smash Hero
Ok well i watched some outdated match of M2K vs Azen, but I know how M2K plays anyway so that should do. I never said there was only one way to play Vs. Diddy, but it sure is the best. Plank isn't an amazing MK, and he beat Dapuffster, who is around the same level. Azen Isn't that close to M2K at all in terms of skill an rep, yet the matches I watched were very close. M2K can play gay if he has too, he doesn't enjoy doing it though (i did hear that from somewhere legit...)
Video examples aside, you can play the Diddy MU however you want, even if you play the way M2K played it's still in MK's favour, but the way Plank played was much more intelligent and a much better way, and with the 25 ledge grab rule in place (which i support), you should be able to stop this from being completely broken Vs. you. Like you said previously though, No-one will be doing this exactly, but if i ever play you, I'm staying on the platforms until i see an opening, and then im going back to the platforms, I dont know about Earl.

Also why is plank a bad name? Reminds me of Ed, Edd and Eddy, i like that show.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok so I didnt watch the vid because I cant at work so if what I'm saying is wrong ignore me or call me a ****** or whatever but here goes...

what your describing tibs, sounds just like how ted's wario plays, and I really hope I'm wrong because that shouldnt be banned and sounds like an easy way out when you could just learn how to combat it.

lets have a look at what air camping/stalling really is...

scenario 1, diddy V jiggs, jiggs gets a percentage lead on diddy and then starts using inifite rising pounds to stay out of the top of the screen or at least further away then diddy can jump, and times the match out. Now this is whats called "air stalling" which is "being in a place that is unreachable or untouchable" and is banned. A similar scenario would be with MK's Infinite cape glitch.
verdict: banned

Scenario 2, Wario V snake, ok I'm sure you guys remember my match against DMG no? pretty much all he did was jump around and use bike to avoid me and I couldnt hit him, however was he at any point out of my range or unreachable? NO, was he at any point untouchable? NO.
its just dodging around someone at close range and moving around them and what not, its A hard tactic to beat, and it can be a little cheap, but its not broken and its not ban worthy.
Verdict: not banned.

"@dekar: yeah if you heard about genesis. forget who played though it was a GnW vs falco and all the GnW did was jump up and down, up and down and i think the decision was firstly made to dq him but it was reversed after further review, shaya will tell you bout it."

theres a reason why that decision was reversed, and I think it was the falco that just laser camped, not the GnW, but I really cant remember...

staying in the air to avoid diddy's banana game is one way to fight diddy (theres more then one way) and just because m2k doesnt do it, doesnt mean its wrong.

planking is an entirly different thing altogether, and if thats what you were talking about then I appologize for misunderstanding, but planking and air camping are different.

oh and trying to ban jumping from platform to platform is stupid

tibs7

Smash Champion
lukie my boy it was targeted at the mk's. i dont think wario would be able to do what plank did in that match which pretty much set the precedent for the rule when i was going to use it.
as many stated before, the 25 ledge grab rule will get rid of the excessive stalling so no need to worry about it anymore =)

yeah wasnt meant to come out like that, what im saying is that, m2k is the best, why wouldnt you follow his playstyle, why go for 2nd best when you can copy m2k? in no way did i mean to say if m2k doesnt do its wrong. its a matter of opinion i guess.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Aircamping:

This is indeed an issue of subjectivity.

A character that has depth (and whatever facet of depth that is...) resolves to having many different EFFECTIVE styles of play at a high level.
It becomes problematic where you can only reference just one style to base yours on rather than developing it yourself. Perhaps Diddy cannot handle it, maybe it is a structural weakness as a character.

Either way, if both styles of MK both win, how is it fair to say one of the two shouldn't be allowed or one is better/fairer?
Remember that the perpetrator has not been able to 'break the game' through his strategies at any majors/nationals, and from what I understand had 'given up' (on brawl?) because of how bad Meep pwns with ICs.

At genesis, DEHF played against Dojo twice in the bracket. First time DEHF bested Dojo's MK in winner's solidly (from what I recall). The second time in the loser's bracket, Dojo beat DEHF in a 'lame' way; literally just jumping up and down around the platforms whilst DEHF continued to fire lasers (not really attempting to approach much either...). Where all credit is due, DEHF is -amazing-, seriously one of the best players I had played against in the US. Alas it seems Falco has a structural weakness, and MK playing a different style was definitely more effective in countering Falco than what Dojo had done previously. DEHF and crew complained to organisers and initially Dojo was "in trouble" (I don't believe he ever was officially DQ'd) but a panel of SBR and TOs at genesis (10 I believe) had 8 decide that it wasn't against the rules of stalling.

Atticus is too pro though <3, he summed up the 'wrongs' of the air camping rule.

Anyway, it's not exactly my ledge grab limit, it was Evo2009s. Best remind that it is only counted if the match is timed out.

tibs7

Smash Champion
yeah i think they know it only works if its timed out?
as i said before it will stop the excessive stalling...
brb charity work T_T

Vermy

Smash Champion
Japanese stage list is legit.
I should be coming to this, with a wii and my new arcade stick.

Tak, team for Third Strike?

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
I should be attending. I have the weekend off, so I should be able to make the trip down for some fun times. Haven't played Brawl or Melee serious for ages so I'll suck, but hey, all in good fun.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Question: Edge wants to come down with me, but has work til 11. Drive down from Bendigo, takes about 2 hours, but, adding on the time for him to get changed/grab his stuff, could be a bit, not to mention traffic.

Would he and I be able to register for Brawl/Melee now and try to make it in time? It'll be a close shave, and we will turn up, just likely a little bit after the start.

EDIT: We'll bring at least a TV and wii too...

Vermy

Smash Champion
I have SF III: 3rd Strike and SFIV on PC, the new Melty and a hori ex2 pro. So yeah, fighters are srs bsns.

Maining Dudley, Akuma and Ken for 3rd Strike and Gouken, Akuma and Cammy for SFIV. Fear Gouken's Command Throw>Ultra.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Just try and grab me next time we meet. Just try.

Akuma's good for 4, I'll see how good you've gotten next time.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
yay for ledge grab limit.

ohh and if all the talk about MK Dair camping being bannable, is from condog/delirium vs I in pools?
just know this:
Condog Bair camped me a whole game before that and olimar has nothing around it, i started approaching since i couldnt camp safely and got owned. So i picked MK (A Secondary of mine) and Dair camped him. I wasnt trying to time him out, if i was i would have abused not having the ledge grab limit rule (that i asked for awhile ago and most disagreed with). I was just playing very safely, and not running into the Bair/Fsmash ****, I had a lead so technically he should be the one approaching but he wasnt, I wasnt avoiding combat i was just spacing so he would miss me then i would retaliate, pretty much just playing defensively since i had a lead.
what i did looked nothing like what was in the vid though, i was always reasonably close to him and in no way throughout the entire game (untill the last 5 seconds) had a mindset to time him out.

tibs7

Smash Champion
yeah tanman no worries cept i might forget so maybe message me closer to the date =)
glad you guys can come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom