• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

icek

Smash Cadet
So Cao what happened with our match? According to the gotgames ladder we r both free and our positions haven't changed even thou we didn't play our game.
Also T-Rex seems to have challenged me any1 know who he is?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I was thinking the same thing Ice K - I think since I'm so awesome, if we don't play our match nothing happens! :estatic:

ahahahahahahaha

I still wanna MM you though and play a ladder match for reals. Next time we meet, K?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Wow...so positions 1 and 2 can just challenge between themselves and let it go stale to greatly help them maintain positions. Sounds even more cheap to me.....what a failure of a system xD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Wow...so positions 1 and 2 can just challenge between themselves and let it go stale to greatly help them maintain positions. Sounds even more cheap to me.....what a failure of a system xD
nah, you cant challenge the same person within a week of challenging them

Commander Snake

Smash Cadet
I would bring a tv but I take public transport plus it's not my tv.

Edit: How long would Melee take to finish? The earlier I get home the better or else I have to watch my back for the whole 20 minute walk back to my home from Noble Park Station. very friendly place noble park is

Edit 2: Cao are we teaming or are u taken?
Oh man, now I've got no-one to team up with. I'll just find someone on the day or something.

CAOTIC said:
I will need everyone to bring Wiis/Brawl discs/Melee Discs, and TV's if possible.
I'll bring my Wii coz I got a carry-case (Wii-Bag thingy). Also bring my Brawl. But if there's gonna be enough I'd rather not because I'm taking the train.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Cao- me and "zomg x" on the GG ladder want our match cancelled altogether. We spent 45 minutes trying to get the match going but it never worked.

Dekar- bring super mario sunshine

atticus- r u coming this monthly? i still have ur GS games.

Sinan- I always wait till last minute to find a teammate. dont feel special :)

Shaz- Will you be staying the whole monthly? Can you take me and Sinan (commander snake) back to my place after the monthly is over?

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
I was challenged by T-rex too but didnt check the boards and so got disqualified or something. :(

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
nah, you cant challenge the same person within a week of challenging them
Which is good and all...but it's still possible to spend a good deal of time 'defending' in which no-one actually wanting your position can challenge....stall tactic.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
why would somebody challenge if they don't want the position? their rank will most likely go down if they lose.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
are you being sarcastic or an idiot? this thread is in the australia region sub-forums. if you truly can't tell by now this is melbourne, victoria, australia.

edit: if you were referring to the link X posted, that's italy.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Sigh....
It does get a bit tiring to see all the MK hate, and all the claims that MK is unbeatable etc. So much so that to the point where you have to ask yourself is it worth winning with MK?

Not that I'm ever gonna give up MK, playing with him is fun =D

ZTV

Smash Apprentice
Huzzah for month long hiatuses (haitusii?), or some such.

Even reading through everything since June (or around 500 posts), not much seems to have changed. Shaz back in charge of running things? S'all good. If not for the newsletter, I probably wouldn't have remembered about this place.

Heh, it seems like it was only yesterday when me and Sean rocked up to Shaz's trailer (sorry, "humble abode") and got our N00B ***** handed to us. Temple against Pichu and G&W collectively. Ah, those were the days.

But enough rambling. If there are still two spots left for Melee (which reading a few pages back there are), I'm in for one, as well as bringing TV+Cube setup.

And uh... Yeah, something or other.

Edit: I only just noticed the venue change to a city-based location. And having driven there and back (Yes, at 1AM-2AM)...well... I'll keep my comments to myself.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
woah ztv

cobalt i was going to bring it but you whine and ***** and ask too much so no

maybe ill bring it

maybe (yeh if i remember)

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Everyone sooked and b!tched in melee that you could only so much as choose a character equal to Fox and not better....
From my experience
Ike
Robot
DK
Snake
Diddy
mirror MK
Wolf
Wario
Lucario

These characters seem to have a fighting chance against MK, and I'd wager a few more such as Fox or maybe G&W for instance could do ok if you approach it well also.
MK is incredibly easy to be cheap with....and not hard to be good with either, but I wouldn't go so far yet as to say he's game-breaking - he's cheap but he does have limitations - more than Melee Fox ever did - so work around it :).

Colbalt I can't answer you yet on whether I can give a lift home as I'm not sure if it will be my place I'm returning to or my girlfriends. I'll post when I have the answer.

Commander Snake

Smash Cadet
It's sad though. How they've banned MK. I usually pwn MK on Brawl, when my dad uses him. Lol, then again, my dads a n00b. Anyways, I don't think MK should be banned. As Shaz said earlier, a lot of characters can be cheap against him, like Snake. My best technique is to hit him the edge (works best in Final Destination) then Rocket Launcher him as he comes back. After a while, he'll get blown back too much. And with the cape being banned, he can't exactly dodge as good as he usually does.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
And with the cape being banned, he can't exactly dodge as good as he usually does.
and also the cape is not banned. the exploit with the cape is banned. anyways, you may have a few opportunities to play against a decent MK player when you come this weekend.

and shaz didn't say that characters can be cheap against him. if that was true there wouldn't be so much b!tching and moaning about MK. once snake starts getting juggled by MK he's screwed.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
I think the people who claim that MK is unbeatable/way too cheap are people that are either not used to playing MK, or are using the wrong strats against him.

When I played Bryce consistantly in qld, every time I tried to use my B moves, he would send me high up in the air somehow with his G&W(Something to do with up B), and would leave me helpless while falling down. Not to mention that anytime I was on 80%, I knew my stock was gone

That is just an example from what I've seen from a matchup where MK can be completely owned when ppl knew how to vs him

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I can assure you there are many situations in Brawl where once something starts you're as good as screwed...most obviously chain grab strats, release grabs, jab locks, tilt locks, banana locks...
Point here is MK isn't standalone cheap....just well spread cheap.
Trust me the match is winnable - just learn the characters weaknesses and plan around them as you would anyone else.

Are you sure it wasn't upAir Chris? The wind blows you up where I can't think of a way this can be done with upB.

My best technique is to hit him the edge (works best in Final Destination) then Rocket Launcher him as he comes back. After a while, he'll get blown back too much.
You'll soon find this becomes too slow to be viable as it can easily be air-dodged or even glided around. I would suggest using a combination of UpSmash and Grenades - or better yet tilted upsmashes (that will drop over the edge rather than on Snake) and item-thrown grenades (B > shield > pick up grenade > throw with the freedom you'd have with an item).

Metaknight's dair > The rest of the brawl cast & melee's shine (in context).
Lol how so? Melee Shine was practically instant, lead into any other move in the characters arsenal, could easily kill at 0%, cancel other moves out completely (important!), reflect projectiles back at greater damage, used both on ground and in air, done for prolonger periods against a wall, aid in recovery, be used to break shields, be used to turn while on the run....and many more uses...this is just a list of the most obvious ones.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay a bit of an exaggeration on my part; however in the sense of it's speed, priority, hitbox range and trajectory it sends opponents + the fact that it can be used very far off the edge due to MK being able to just glide on back; that's where the 'in context' part comes about. Also dair's on the stage actually are a bad situation if you get hit with one, as MK can actually use fair to out speed your ability to tech and shield... (if it was a hard fall on the ground).

The way you describe the shine there; that just sounds like MK in general :p

Alas, in my opinion; G&W is the only character in the game who may have an advantage on MK. His Up B has invincibility frames and anyone close to him during it will be flown up higher; that's its properties. G&W's up b can be used to gimp/finish off opponents if you chase them off the edge, they are just 'floating' back and you up b and push them off to their deaths (has happened to me). His uair has the same properties too (except only 'upwards', not to the sides and slightly below him too).

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Lol how so? Melee Shine was practically instant, lead into any other move in the characters arsenal, could easily kill at 0%, cancel other moves out completely (important!), reflect projectiles back at greater damage, used both on ground and in air, done for prolonger periods against a wall, aid in recovery, be used to break shields, be used to turn while on the run....and many more uses...this is just a list of the most obvious ones.
But Boozy Fortress outcuted Foxy's shine! :estatic:

Commander Snake

Smash Cadet
Suntan_Luigi: On Sunday morning, we'll practice a little with MK. Pit is also a kind of weakness so I gotta practice against him as well.

Everence/Everyone else: Come on though. There has got to be a way around MK. Even with Jigglypuff (lol at the thought). Anyways, so fair enough, the rocket launcher might be slow on snake but he's fsmash doesn't work to bad. I've never tried it in multiplayer brawl but if they react slow enough, fsmash might work. MK is just hard because he has a really good recovery, cheap neutral special and he's speed isn't too bad. Also, he's drive (forward) spin attack isn't too bad. It's controllable but then again, a lot of forward specials are. MK just doesn't have as many or the same weaknesses as the other characters. Bowser for example. He's around bottom tier because of the lack of speed and he's specials aren't that good. John Cena could do better. Bowser has strength but not speed. So MK is a bit like a mixture of Snake and Pit. I'd gor far enough to say that he's nearly as strong (in terms of damage) as Bowser. Yeah, I'd like to verse a really good MK user. Might get my backside handed to me but it'll be a good experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom