• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] BAM6 announced, May 9-11 2014! Congrats to Dekar, SD and Shaya!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I like any high calibre player coming to our tournaments to shake things up; they bring new things to the table which can't always be measured (prestige, hype). They also provide a source of inspiration to other players.

It also seems like players are divided as to whether they want to go down the sponsorship path, be it PP, Ice, DEHF, M2K etc. The community needs to be all in if they are dedicated to the cause, otherwise it's just all talk and no leadership on the issue.

Due respect needs to be paid to the TO of any event. They sit in an echelon above the best players in terms of being the backbone that keeps the Smash scene running. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge this effectively locks themselves out the tournament in question and its opportunities.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
DEHF/larry is a really cool guy.
As for PeePee, he may not actively play brawl anymore, but I would bet a significant amount of money that even at his present level he'll still absolutely crush anybody in this country, our level of brawl is not only lower then it used it be, but even at its peak was so far behind America is was ridiculous.
If a player is one of the best melee players in America, you can bet they have good enough fundamentals and game sense and competitive mindset to still be an excellent player in brawl, so if you want to dismiss him because he isn't good at brawl then that argument is out the window.

Honestly though, if you want a player who is good enough to wreck you, and still be able to teach you and help you improve, just ask Zac, sure he's direct (most people see that as being rude but there is a difference) and a little brutal but if you can grow up enough to look past that you can learn a lot from him.
Although to be fair, this is a pretty accurate depiction of most players here.

p.p.s you are all quite terrible even if someone is literally screaming and pointing out exactly what you are doing wrong.. you still manage to do it wrong again anyway.

As for m2k, when he first came to this country everyone was so excited, but then at the end of the first day everyone was complaining and crying about how he was anti social and no fun. Later that same night, me and ted literally kidnapped him and took him to jei's house and took him everywhere with us for the next few days, and we had a great time with him and he was laughing and joking and having a lot of fun with us, everyone was so surprised that we 'brought him out of his shell' and how different he was.
The point of this story is that if you guys are persistent, knuckle up and put a little work in instead of just complaining about everything all the time whenever things aren't 100% perfect, things might be better and you might have more fun.

For the sake of diversity and variety, you would probably be better off served with a new player you haven't had come here before, but m2k would be good too, and hating on him for putting money as a priority is kinda dumb when you stop to think that he is a professional video gamer and thats how he makes his living, and as such its important to him and his livelihood.
Anyone who has been to America should understand the different attitudes that exist in the American scene, and berating those values in favor of our own is a poor attitude.

Also Attila, M2k wasn't starting fights, he was responding to you directly saying negative things about him, and while what he said to you could also had some negativity to it, it certainly wasn't flaming, is nobody allowed to say anything against you without being called out for flaming/starting fights/disrespecting you?

This scene sure has changed a lot from when I first joined it.

Splice

Smash Hero
If a player is one of the best melee players in America, you can bet they have good enough fundamentals and game sense and competitive mindset to still be an excellent player in brawl, so if you want to dismiss him because he isn't good at brawl then that argument is out the window.
Mango was pretty terrible at Brawl when he came down here, granted he didn't give it a decent shot like Peepee; PP would probably do quite well at Brawl here, he actually played it seriously for a time.
Not sure if he'd win with Attila and Tinman around, who can say?

I'm just nitpicking at one sentence; I agree with the rest. This thread needed/deserved a Luke post.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Mango was pretty terrible at Brawl when he came down here, granted he didn't give it a decent shot like Peepee; PP would probably do quite well at Brawl here, he actually played it seriously for a time.
Not sure if he'd win with Attila and Tinman around, who can say?

I'm just nitpicking at one sentence; I agree with the rest. This thread needed/deserved a Luke post.
not sure if he'd win with me around right?
right?

S.D

Smash Master
Luke, I think the point of contention is not so much M2K's pursuit of money, which is of course fair and reasonable, but moreso that its at odds with our community and its values. The US mentality and monetary motivation is difficult for people outside that environment to appreciate, and tends to rub against our less financially laden reasons for playing the game. The result, in M2K's case, was conflicting ideologies. When he came to Australia most of us were hopeful of learning from him and having him act as a sort of ambassador, which was naive given his personality (which is not a criticism), whereas M2K was here to basically clock in and cash in. There's nothing wrong with that, but given M2K wants us to sponsor him to come out here for his own financial gain, with little intention of reciprocating the charity with anything particularly constructive, is justifiably not well received by some. If people fork out to bring someone over, I think they deserve something in return which M2K is ill equipped to provide. Similarly if M2K pays his own way here or through Nova, there would be no obligation on him to do anything other than wreck, get paid and go. I think it's a little rich for M2K to ask for us to pay his way, then proceed to insult the TO and the community he wanted the handout from.

Splice

Smash Hero
Such articulation, it's so good.
I'm not sure if this kind of discussion is better or worse than when we used to just call each other ****wits for four pages or so, back around 2010. That was pretty fun, you guys.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether or not Jason would have been a good choice for our scene is rather moot at this point as the likelihood of M2K attending now is literally 0. Focus should be shifted to who we as a community would like to approach to attend BAM. I'd suggest a poll with the top selections as mentioned in previous comments. Once we're satisfied with the majority vote, we move forward from there.

Hughie

Smash Lad
I'm not sure if this kind of discussion is better or worse than when we used to just call each other ****wits for four pages or so, back around 2010. That was pretty fun, you guys.
I wish I could be apart of those discussions, I excel at them

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
The whole organised sponsorship thing doesn't sit well with me, it's like treating people like objects.
It'd be cool if we could just generate some hype and see who was legitimately interested and either make it worth for them with prize pool or people who care can help with flights.
A small difference, but the whole poll thing just feels a bit weird for me.

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
We really want to find a shortlist of people who'd be keen to come to Aus and also would be good to have here, then work with them to make sure it's worth everyone's while. If they need some cash for flights or a bigger pot that's secondary to actually having interest?

S.D

Smash Master
Forget a poll for players unless someone puts their hand up to take a lead on organising to liaise with players and arrange their flights and itinerary. The smash community is generally all talk no action so the whole thing is a waste of time without an organisation panel.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Grim, you and I both know that your sponsorship money would legitimately be better spent on Vegemite triangles.
Hahahahahaha! Literally died of laughter reading this.

Also if you guys want to gauge international interest, you can tag a person using @<name> which will give them an alert rather than make a thread.

Obvs I still don't see this going very far because of this:

The smash community is generally all talk no action so the whole thing is a waste of time without an organisation panel.
qft~

Hughie

Smash Lad
I think some of the Japanese players could be a possible option, Japan's not too far, and we have like 3 people who speak Japanese fluently (Attila,Yosh seriously when Tokido came up when we were playing friendlies at SS and you guys just started chatting was super cool while me and dean had no idea what you guys were saying)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
excuse me hughie i've been learning japanese for 15 years. and despite that your statement isn't even wrong.

Hughie

Smash Lad
... How do you plan to contact the Japanese scene.

I'm legit curious.
... How do you contact them? They don't use Smashboards much, don't they?
excuse me hughie i've been learning japanese for 15 years. and despite that your statement isn't even wrong.
There's so many people here who know a fair bit/fluent at Japanese. I actually think that's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
If we want Japanese then we need Bombsoldier, Captain Jack, Jousuke, Moyashi and whoever else is a Smash Bros player. Bombsoldier is who I'd like to see. But we should get guys like Tokido/Mago a.k.a the Street Fighter players. If they play the game enough they'll probably be better than the rest of us. I'm actually surprised that Attila can speak Japanese.

Let it be noted that I managed to beat Shungoku Neurosis in a Bison ditto in Street Fighter 4 by chip damage. The match was very intense.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
host dodgeball so i can get my title back

but yeah australian hype>international hype

Last edited:

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
Dodgeball hype!

If people are serious, i can contact the vast majority of the japanese scene.
PLEASE! We need some Japanese players right now. They're not far away and they are polite, well mannered and we can benfit from their learning. Unlike M2K, they don't care about the money and they don't insult the TO. We should bring aMSa.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
wow i didn't know japanese smash bros players were all the same and all behaved that way. have you been to japan, surprise?

Last edited:

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
ofc not, just wondering how he acquired it
In the Smash Brothers documentary episode 4: The King of Smash, Ken says about how his experience in Japan was much different and better than America. Some smasher with curly hair (don't know his name) says that the Japanese players are so respectful it's beyond belief and that Ken has said it many times. Ken says there was no ****/trash talk, everyone was calm and relaxed and that the Japanese cheered for the opponent just as equally as their own players compared to America who just scream "USA, USA" and that the Japanese just want to play the game and have fun. When I talked to Tokido, Mago Neurosis etc. they were kind enough to have a chat and let me have a photo with them. I also have Japanese relatives who are kind and friendly. This just proves that the Japanese are polite, kind and friendly. What's more, in the Smash Brothers, the Japanese offered the American's free housing, food and a visit to Mount Fuji. Now that is what I call politeness and friendliness.

We can also have the benefit of learning from the Japanese better as Smash Bros. was made in Japan. Therefore, they will have more knowledge of the game than we do.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
We can also have the benefit of learning from the Japanese better as Smash Bros. was made in Japan. Therefore, they will have more knowledge of the game than we do.
mind
blown
booking plane tickets to japan

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
i feel like people are clinging to the idea that getting some international player is going to make it an amazing tournament, put your efforts toward ensuring the best tournament experience for the bulk of Australia first.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Donation drive/fundraising could be better served ensuring interstate players can make it down. Heck why not sponsor Bringer if you want a pro Yoshi in the mix.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I'd welcome any donations to help us interstaters attend. I do believe that if Jaice was sponsored, he would attend. As of the last tournament in QLD I'm playing melee again, and I'm happy to commentate on matches as I've done in the past (ask Attila) and can help with TO duties for both games.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Figure out how many people from oos would attend bam.
Determine if bam is going to be the main tournament for the year (if its in may then the horse might have already bolted in terms of advance planning). If so, aim for a turnout target. ie 100.
Then get all oos tos to form an alliance and get them working on specific tasks -- int sponsorship, dodgeball, logistics (the most difficult one) streaming, bringing oos players to vic.
Get the message across and people will get confident about coming to bam. We have the numbers to break robocop or rocky but lack coordination and basic overall management

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
^^^ true dat. No woxy = no idea.
Anyhoo if SS includes smash again this year I think that should be promoted as our biggest event and we can put our effort into that. That said BAM is a close second.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I figure that's probably how it's gonna go down. Provided we don't get Ddos'd again.

BAM will be a good testing ground for the steam, though. If we get a glad decent turnout, we should start thinking about sponsorships

Actually, would people prefer a plain smash steam, or a small stint on the main stage?

Top Bottom