• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 2011 CouchWarriors - 12th Nov - The Hive, Box Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
To box hill its 2 40 minute buses, to this place it'll probably take me 3 hours of transport unless I can get off an earlier stop on my train line. Don't feel like going into the city and out again :/

Probably would need a place to stay if I go since there's no buses to get home at night derp.

Would be sooo much easier if I just lived in Greensborough, whittlesea is **** and Id be closer to work :p

I'm making 1300 a fortnight atm, yeahz
:phone:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
moonee ponds is dope. felix and chill work there. if you don't know who they are, that is unfortunate, but you soon will

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Potential Tournament

On May 4th (Friday) until May 6th (Sunday) there will be a LAN held at La Trobe University. I'm attempting to take this as an opportunity to hold a tournament for the Saturday of that weekend.

There's a catch, however. This LAN is for charity and it's $30 entry with all proceeds being donated to charity. I'm willing to run a tournament with no entry fee thus no prize money at the end but I would like to know from the general VIC scene your thoughts on the idea.

Both Melee and Brawl will be played and there's no time limit on the venue.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
30 bucks kinda hurts... But knowing me, I'll probably go anyway... Cant say the same for everyone else though. I'm guessing this is the same thing adrian is running?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Adrian's friend is running it, I had to ask some people but it looks like it's okay for a smash tourney to be held there.

Would you help out Leish?

edit: yeah Redact I invited you on FB, just invite the others.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
When I move (in about 3 days) I'll be within a 20 minute drive from Moonee Ponds.
Attila would you consider playing smash on some of the days you are in Aberfeldie? I'm in "get better" mode.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@jei: not really. im normally in aberfeldie on sunday morning and thursday evening. sunday i rush to work afterward, and thursday i finish pretty late, and i've got uni the next morning.

saturday night is pretty much the only good night for me... let's play brawl at phil's house :D

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
We got kicked out of abbotsford because of the venue being left in bad condition all the time. Also they only want to hold events like music and activities which don't involve video games or some bull**** like that.

Yeah, miss that venue.:/

Splice

Smash Hero
wherever it is we need to hurry up and get a tournament happening.

After DGH we had such a great income of people and a good oppurtunity and the longer it takes the more likely we are to lose that. Feeling detached from the scene is why people don't stick around in the first place and having no tournaments doesn't aid this issue.

I won't pay $30 for the LAN unless we get a DotA2 crew and Redact carries me.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
ofc aus should be trying to capitalize on my amazing dgh success (lol adept scamsmash) but we wait for CW ofc
late march looking likely

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
So uhh yeah just realized the weekend I wanted to hold that charity tournament is the same weekend that Shadowloo Showdown is on.
I didn't really want a high attendance to this tourney, maybe Shadowloo will change a couple of people's minds...

Btw first CW tournament is going to be March 31st, I will make a new CW thread I guess.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
isn't the charity tournament $30 entry with no prizes
i don't think you'll have to worry about high attendance lol

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Haha true but I think I can only have this thing if the numbers are reasonably low (which I never thought to be a problem) so that's why I mentioned that.

When you put it that way it makes the idea look horrible :(

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
tbh, I dont think many people would be willing to fork out 30 dollars to attend a tournament with no prizes. Unless they had the spare money to spend. lol.

I have ricky coming up for my birthday on that weekend of the 31st so. Cant grantee attendance anymore. Unless he actually wanted to go, but thats like 00.1% chance lawl.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Hmm this probably isn't worth it then hey....

I figured it would be a good opportunity (besides the price) to use a venue but the price IS pretty steep and the people who would actually go with their PCs to make their money's worth would be at Shadowloo instead.

Who hear thinks this is worth it?

edit: The guy running it is willing to make the entry fee $20 for smashers only, if this sounds more reasonable then we can probably organize some kind of pot or prize for the tournaments.

double edit: Ok so we now have $15 entry and $5 to enter everything (smash only) which will make a small pot. People wanting to bring PC's will have to pay $30 however (we can work something out with the pot I'm sure). Is this starting to sound more attractive guys?

triple edit: So this guy running it is a pretty nice guy, I'm not even haggling and he's throwing offers my way.

This is the current deal:
$20 entry to smashers but $5 goes towards prize pot.
$30 (not extra) to anyone wanting to bring their own computers and partake in the LAN events. $5 of that $30 will still go to smash.
If we can get 15 smashers or more, the guy running it will put an extra $50 into the pot.

I think that's the best I can do, I just need to know if we can get at least 15 entrants. That would be for Melee and Brawl combined.
I will have to put some thought into how the pot will be split between smash events seeing as though it will be $5 per person not $5 per tourney. Probably make it no pot for doubles as usual.

Anyway, go.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Dw about the pot. Use money to give top 5 (or however many) their entry fee back.

It's for charity, after all.

Yeah that's not a bad idea, we can decide on the day.
I will make a thread about this tourney in a couple days if the interest is reasonable.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
That sounds a lot better :)

So it's just $20 to enter both Melee and Brawl? with $5 coming out of the 20 for the pot.

I'm down for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom