• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
bad MU with some high and mid tiers
He does well against mid tiers, he has soft -1s against high/top tiers if everyone gets buffed while MK gets little baby buffs AGAIN then things will change for the worse.

Isn't Sheik bad for MK?
Yes. But everytime MK wins people overrate him, like Tyrant beat Vinnie on stream and the bs fludded the chat.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Ally
Mario's getting consistent placings everywhere
Aren't most characters outside of Sheik have like one or two viable top tier players for them in terms of Western?
ZSS, NR and Nairo
Mario, ally
Fox, Megafox Larry
Luigi, Concon Boss (?)
Rosalina, Dabuz
Diddy, Jtails Zero
Pikachi, ESAM

Does that mean all of em should be top 5? I faintly remember Japan saying Sonic is still like top 2 for them and that Sonic beats ZSS.

Also a bit off topic kinda, but it's really hard to make a tier list once you get past high tier or your version of A/B tier. Characters like WFT Robin Zelda and Samus continue getting buffs and can jump from being worst in game to bottom of a supposed person's mid tier from some minor changes in multiple moves alone.
People wanna feel like special snowflakes that they play "bad" characters but then once they get massively buffed they can't be saying they're playing a bad character anymore.
Quite literally almost every character in this game can make top 32 at big nationals now.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@Wintermelon43, it's okay, sweetheart. You just have to understand that most of us here are experienced players that are accustomed to a certain quality and tone in our conversations. You shouldn't be quick to accuse others of bullying you, because really, everybody here just wants to learn and help others learn. If you have any question, please feel free to ask us in a formal and respectful manner. It might be a good idea to just watch and get a better knowledge of competitive play before you try to enter a discussion, of course - I tend to lurk in this thread because I haven't very much to say, but if you need to ask a question, there are many people who can help you find an answer! We can all help each-other if we just have respect and dignity as a community, okay?

In answer to your question, "footsies" essentially refers to a character's movement options in the neutral game and the state in which you and your opponent maneuver around the stage to attain a state of advantage over each-other. For example, Marth has good footsies because he is able to move quickly around the stage and force his opponent out of his immediate vicinity with his sword's good range and tippered moves.
You are actually the best person. I felt warm and fuzzy reading this. :p

So I had to verse the same Rosa that took me out of winners yesterday. We played 2 sets, one earlier on in winners bracket and one in losers finals. It's so dang volatile.

Also versed MK again, the matches were really close. But I have to ask again, why is that MU considered MKs favour @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 ? When has this MU happened at top level?

FYI, I will bop people for blatant ignorance. You don't come into this thread knowing nothing and expect a positive reception. You don't only make 1 line posts one after the other asking what 80% of the words people use here mean. I'm sure we could go ad infinitum with the analogies for this. But this thread is not a social (how many times need I say it), if you apparently have interest in competitive play or ideas I'm telling you now it requires your own effort to get there, it's impossible for it to be handed to you plain and simple.
Then link the Q&A for him lol. Need to give people self-sustaining tools. Better to give a homeless person a fishing rod rather than just a fish (or perhaps rather give them a rod if you're going to take the fish away from them).

Also I have issues with Sonic apparently "having a top 3 MU spread" when he loses hard to ZSS.

And Ness mains consider the Mario MU a +1. Not sure what Mario mains think of it though. This discussion came up before.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
6:4 isnt exactly losing hard. its losing, but winnable. people are split on him losing to her anyway.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Before anyone say it, Luigi's changes did nothing to worsen his MU with Mario. Hell. It might just have gotten BETTER due to D-tilt being another edgeguarding tool as well as small Up-B change. Luigi's F-air is still a chore to space against for Mario and we still beat him CQC. And lower hitstun? Double chop wasn't a true combo pre-patch anyway because F3 N-air.

And also. Luigi feels buffed a little. Not nerfed.

Mario is definitely good in this game tho. I feel he is better than Luigi even though the only significant thing he has over his brother is his mobility. He probably loses at everything else.

Oh wait. Why am I comparing them both?

Real talk. Mario is pretty damn good with his mobility. He doesn't really get hard-countered by anyone. I would say the same with Luigi but most people seem to disagree his MU with Sheik isn't THAT bad. Time to battle actual Sheik mains I guess.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Before anyone say it, Luigi's changes did nothing to worsen his MU with Mario. Hell. It might just have gotten BETTER due to D-tilt being another edgeguarding tool as well as small Up-B change. Luigi's F-air is still a chore to space against for Mario and we still beat him CQC. And lower hitstun? Double chop wasn't a true combo pre-patch anyway because F3 N-air.

And also. Luigi feels buffed a little. Not nerfed.

Mario is definitely good in this game tho. I feel he is better than Luigi even though the only significant thing he has over his brother is his mobility. He probably loses at everything else.

Oh wait. Why am I comparing them both?

Real talk. Mario is pretty damn good with his mobility. He doesn't really get hard-countered by anyone. I would say the same with Luigi but most people seem to disagree his MU with Sheik isn't THAT bad. Time to battle actual Sheik mains I guess.
Mario now wins the projectile war more easily due to Luigi's fireball nerf. Also I still fail to see how d tilt isnt at least a slight nerf overall, and Mario had no problems recovering against Luigi compared to how Luigi does against Mario either way.

Luigi still easily wins CQC with overall better normals as you said, and kills of of a grab easily at higher %. But it's harder to initiate that the way he wants to with the fireball nerf.

Luigi most likely still wins but it's definitely somewhat closer to even, IMO. The changes are a net loss in this matchup because power was transferred from a more important tool to less important ones.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Luigi still wins the matchup over Mario. It's still 55:45, like it was before, imo.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Luigi still wins the matchup over Mario. It's still 55:45, like it was before, imo.
Pretty much. I considered it to be 6-4 Luigi before though and seeing as this is one of Mario's few bad matchups I'd say that's a meaningful change.

It's pretty subjective though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Would AC lasers affect falcos neutral game drastically?
Drastically? Well, there are degrees of drastic. Yeah, I shouldn't be twisting words. Re-posting this...
I wasn't going to respond, but after watching some of Juicebox's stuff, especially his Kyo basics guide, I thought of something relating to Falco which you can apply to any other character with a projectile.

As a projectile, frame advantages, evens, and disadvantages are all different depending on range and how the projectile functions like Fox's default Blaster will always be disadvantaged since it does no hit stun, but depending how far he uses it, that's not going to matter if you can't cover the distance. Falco's default Blaster is even on hit at max range which is kind of bad when you consider how slow he moves. At midrange and close range, it's negative on hit which is horrible. It's not because it has set knockback which is what makes it unique as projectile, but also allows it to gimp because it sends you nowhere, instead, it just stuns you for a bit, you continue your momentum, and you suffer from a 30 frame can't grab ledge because of hit stun. Here's the thing, Fox can do that too and all you need is 1 laser from Impact Blaster.

With the changes to Fox's Blaster, Fox's total frames for default and Impact Blaster is 39 frames and Charge Blaster is 78 frames. This means Fox can't act until frame 40 for default and Impact and 79 for Charge. For Falco, his total frames for default is 58 on the ground and 49 in the air, Explosive Blaster is 71, and Burst Blaster is 39. Falco can't act until frames 59 on the ground or 50 in the air for default, 72 for Explosive, and 40 for Burst Blaster. Between Fox's default Blaster and Falco's Burst Blaster, Fox is doing more damage at any range - Fox's does 3% up close, 2% midrange, and 1.4% at long range whereas Falco's does 2% close range and 1% mid to long range - with only 2 more frames of startup than Falco's Burst Blaster which shoots at frame 9. Yeah, pretty much outclasses Falco's custom especially when you consider than Fox runs faster and his default Blaster has more range than Falco's. Between Impact Blaster and Falco's default... Yeah... It already had low end lag compared to Falco's and while it does less damage, it doesn't matter when it does what Falco wished his Blaster did.

Moving onto another game, look at what Kyo Kusanagi's Yamibarai does in The King of Fighters XIII. Remember that games function differently. Except for the EX version, Yamibarai only does set knockback where it doesn't move people. I'm going to type up something that Juicebox says about Yamibarai: "You can't really jump until it's [Yamibarai] all the way over there. Kyo can't use it to approach his opponent like say, King, Andy, Kensou, Mai, Mature - his fireball is designed only to annoy or to make your opponent feel like they need to move, so that they might jump into your uppercut [Oniyaki] or so that they try to jump at you in the air, so then you can get a jumping C+D or something else. Don't use this too much."

Kyo's Yamibarai is more like Fox's Blaster, Ryu's Hadouken and Shakunetsu, or Mario's Fireballs. You don't approach with them nor do you truly force approaches. What do I mean by "truly force approaches"? Yamibarai is not a threat. All it does it chip away at you; it's annoyance, harassment, and zoning by controlling space. You don't fire a Hadouken and run behind it; Ryu's end lag on his Hadouken is actually the same as Falco's, but Ryu can vary its speed, it does more damage, there's a larger hitbox, and Ryu can even change the way it hits with Shakunetsu. Ryu's more likely going to control space, make you feel like you have do something, then he'll vary the speed punishing your option pick or fakes a pattern and then punishes you with input Shoryuken for jumping towards him. Fox's Blaster has no hit stun, but do you really want to deal with lasers flying away at you, chipping away damage, and then watch as Fox runs away or punishes you? Mario? Mario's going to jump, toss Fireballs that arc down, and he'll keep doing that while retreating or moving in and retreating. It's like Wolf drifting in and out with his Blaster. You don't really have to do anything since it's not going to kill you like a charged Shadow Ball nor do they really setup into anything like Sheik's Needles or Lucario's Aura Sphere. It's just there to **** you off. For frame data, Kyo's Yamibarai has a startup of 16 for the light, 15 for the heavy, and 13 for the EX version with recovery frames of 30 (L), 33 (H), and 27 (EX). This means Kyo can't act until frame 46 (L), 48 (H), and 40 (EX).

Now, look at King's Venom Strike and Leona's Earring Bomb. Venom Strike pushes back people ever so slightly. Like he said, "overall, you just want to control space" which for King, makes sense as she's considered a zoning character who has a strong close combat game. Guess who else is a zoning character with a strong close combat game? Melee, Brawl, and PM Falco. While he couldn't vary his laser's speed, he could vary their height. In Melee it wasn't as extreme as he couldn't fire twice before touching the ground, but it's the same idea where M/B/PM Falco can control space or just follow his lasers and use them to approach. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not when done right. Done wrong like in Melee and Brawl - PM made everyone strong, so that doesn't really matter -, a projectile like that is more than overwhelming. Falco when auto-canceling his Blaster virtually had no end lag. Her startup for Venom Strikes are 12 (L), 9 (H), and 10 (EX) which is surprisingly similar to Falco's Blaster. Recovery are frames 32 (L), 37 (H), and 30 (EX); King can't act until frame 44 (L), 46 (H), and 40 (EX). King has end lag, but low enough where she can still run behind her Venom Strikes. Also, Venom Strike travels fairly quickly compared to Yamibarai.

Moving onto Leona's Earring Bomb which does knockback sort of like Sheik's Needles if they were jewelry grenades... Anyway, long startup for the regular ones at 40 (L) and 45 (H) while the EX version only has 12 frames of startup. For recovery, you're looking at 15 (L), 18 (H), and 24 (EX) meaning Leona acts at frame 45 (L), 63 (H), and 36 (EX). End lag seems long compared to Kyo's, right? It's the startup skewing everything. Quoting Juicebox again: "All of the Earring Bombs have the same purpose. The purpose of the Earring Bomb is you recover so quickly that you can occupy multiple parts of the screen if you wish. If you were to jump and hit light kick, they would have to deal with the ground earring and deal with your jumping normal at the same time. If they were to jump at you, they would probably get hit by this. Another thing you can do with the earring is follow it in on the ground... plus you'll actually get there just as the earring goes off and if you get there as the earring goes off - if it hits - you can see that and go into a combo, but if it doesn't hit - let's say they block it -, then you can use that block stun to get pressure started. M'kay, so they don't want to get hit by it and they don't want to block it, so what you want to do is you want to try occupying different parts of the screen at the same time, so that you can try to force them to move."

Guess who does that? Not really anyone since nobody has a projectile with that kind of startup and low recovery, but the closest thing would be M/B/PM Falco, Peach, the Links, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Diddy, and perhaps Luigi and Sheik. It's mostly Peach, the Links, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Diddy, but the startup is mostly from getting their projectiles out in hand like Link's Bombs. The principles of following the projectile is there along with being able to occupy multiple parts of the screen which Peach, the Links, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Diddy. What M/B/PM Falco does is the low end lag thing due to auto-canceling Blaster allowing him to follow the laser. Sheik does that too, but without auto-canceling anything, instead, it's the hit stun on a 1% single Needle or 11.4% or 7.2% 6 Needles - close up, it does 1.9% while at range it does 1.2% along with the low end lag similar to Luigi. Getting hit by any of their projectiles is bad from not just purely damage, but the fact they can setup out of them. Shielding them is mostly bad from M/B/PM Falco's part because he can just stop and pick another option while the others do commit and shielding them isn't as bad.

Why this long writeup about projectiles in another game? It's to show that projectiles do different things. Now what does Falco's Blaster even do? Nothing. It does absolutely nothing better than any projectile in this entire game. It does not kill, it does not edgeguard well, it does not force approaches, it does work as an approach, nor does it even harass well. All it does is damage and if you want damage, you're better off using Burst Blaster or picking another projectile-using character entirely. You can't frame trap or distract like with Triple D's Gordos, you can't rack up damage like with Fox's Blaster, you can't edgeguard like with Greninja's charged Water Shuriken or the Pits' Bows, you can't approach like Mega Man, you can't confirm stuff like Sheik's Needles, and you can't even kill like with Zelda's Din's Fire or Phantom Slash.

Falco's Blaster at best is a rare gimp tool, a combo followup which Fox can do too and much safely, and an inconvenience to the opponent. It's not like Fox, Ryu, or Mega Man where they will annoy you with projectiles. Falco's Blaster end lag is so punishable that you can as Captain Falcon, jump and Falcon Punch him. It's so pathetic enough that Ganondorf can just tank through his lasers and kill him while DK forces Falco to approach. DK, a character with no projectiles, a character with a massive hurtbox, and a character who considered by many, should be the one approaching, but no, Falco's slower than DK and his lasers are just flies hovering around DK.

If Falco has something like King's Venom Strike, he'd probably be a dangerous if not an overwhelming character like he was in Melee and Brawl. Fire a laser, follow it, and force you to pick options. No character in this game does that and with that much range Falco and King have. Luigi can sort of do it, but his Fireballs don't travel that far. Now, something like Kyo's Yamibarai, that might be better and would work better. Falco can't approach with Blaster, he can't truly force approaches, and is more of harassing you and making you think you have to approach. Right now, he can't do that, but he could with lowered end lag. Here's the issue, lowering the end lag too much could end up with a (stronger) Venom Strike which would be something like +20 frames reduced end lag; Falco who could act at 39 on the ground and 30 in the air with Blaster would be too much. 49 on the ground and 40 in the air might be the sweet-spot.

Falco's saving grace is his close range game and so is Kyo and King's. Kyo and King aren't NESTS Kyo, Shen Woo, Claw Iori - the Smash equivalents would be something like Fox, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon -, but they work well up-close. Now, remove or severely nerf Kyo's Yamibarai and King's Venom Strike. You'd end up with an inferior NESTS Kyo and a zoning character who is now force to play only footsies and up-close. Who does that remind you of? If Falco's close combat game was bad, he'd undoubtedly be the the worst character in the game. He'd be a laughing stock who cannot fight at any range. Even Melee Pichu and Brawl Ganondorf would do better than him.

He's not an honest character; no character is honest. Have you ever died because you didn't know his lasers function differently with his U-throw and B-throw? Have you ever died because you didn't know his Side Smash had transcendent priority, but you were using a character like Toon Link who by all means you be shredding his wings? And have you ever died because you were caught by a lingering hitbox that sent you out too little?

Sources: Fox (and everyone's) changes: http://smashboards.com/threads/tour...nity-patch-notes.412130/page-15#post-19800013.

KoF XIII's frame data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EVZYVCR7F2aSrzhh65U/edit?pli=1#gid=1551678957.
Edit: And yes, I like complaining about Falco. :p
To summarize, it would affect him like all changes would. Falco being able to auto-cancel his Blaster is both a significant and superficial buff. Significant as he can cut down his end lag from 59 frames to 4, his hard landing lag, or 50 to 4 if he doesn't want to deal with the end lag while in the air. Being able to auto-cancel his Blaster would allow him to follow his laser like King can with her Venom Strike, Leona with her Earring Bomb, and Guile with Sonic Boom? - not knowledgeable with Street Fighter. Is that good? Absolutely; Falco would be able to cover an approach by having an active hitbox in front of him or by occupying different parts of the screen, Falco can force his opponent to choose between the laser or him in the air. In theory, it would all be great for Falco.

Now here's where everything falls apart. It's telegraphed. Auto-canceling is not the same as reduced or low end lag. Blaster is not an aerial, so auto-canceling it means that you have to auto-cancel or else deal with the regular end lag which is significant even in comparison to his aerials. Blaster doesn't have landing lag like aerials which his are also significantly lower than his end lag for Blaster. If Falco jumps, you know what he's going to do. At range, it's definitely going to be Blaster, empty hop, or double jump or whatever else that slowly goes to not practical. At close range? Falco can't actually pressure with Blaster since you have 6 frames of jump startup, 9 frames of Blaster startup, and 4 frames of hard landing lag. That's a total of 19 frames Falco commits and that assumes he doesn't screw up or else it turns to 59 frames of end lag. At the same time, everyone can pressure shields, but nobody can pressure shields like in Melee, Brawl, or PM. Falco is -20 on hit even with the +7 to him from opponents having to shield drop on almost all of his moves outside of auto-canceled Uair, Bair, and Dair. Add in his slow grab, slow dash grab, and if Falco is running behind his laser closely, then that laser is not moving fast. You can probably powershield it and punish him for trying for an attack or roll behind and punish him for trying to go for a grab or attack or just jump and meet him air to air.

Falco would undoubtedly have an easier time pressuring at range with Blaster, but human error would screw him over. Shields not receiving a lot of shield stun meaning Falco's attempts to go Melee and use a laser to start a close-up pressure might not go as well. You can learn the timing of his laser and continually powershield or just shield. Falco's lasers don't travel that far, especially compared to his Brawl Blaster.

Options? Going the Yamibarai route or the Venom Strike route. Both would involve reduced end lag, but for different reasons. The Yamibarai route would mean at range, Falco can harass you with hit stun while remaining fairly even in frame advantage if he hits you regardless if its on-hit or on-shield. That would be zoning in a sense of approach me, but you don't really have to since my projectile isn't that deadly. Still, it's annoying, right? That kind of end lag would mean Falco can shoot once and be fine, but repeatedly and Falco's going to deal with more end lag since he takes about 40 frames to fire another shot. The Venom Strike once is basically auto-canceling without auto-canceling. It's reduced end lag so much that Falco can follow his laser regardless if he shot in the air or on the ground. It'll differ like his aerial lasers are closer or even slightly behind him while his grounded lasers are in front of him. That's freedom; that's much more flexible than having to jump and shoot and if you somehow screw up the inputs, risk 59 frames of end lag.

Auto-canceling, harassment, or projectile follow would make his neutral better, but not in such a significant way where Falco is now top 1. He still has trouble on shield and he would still have trouble on shield, especially with the harassment option. Falco can't get away like Sheik can, but that's sort of normal. Falco's neutral up close is good, especially with that walk speed, fast strong pokes, and strong counter pokes - there is never a reason to be behind Falco. His neutral at range is what suffers when he's slow and his Blaster is more or less overshadowed by Fox's now thanks to the patch, but it was overshadowed by everyone's, so there's that. Reflector allows him some mid-range poking, but it's terrible on-shield, -36, and it allows him to fight against projectiles, but if it gets shielded or baited, Falco's screwed. It's at range where fast and/or well-rounded characters characters just ignore his attempts at anything to zone. If Falco fires a laser and Captain Falcon reads that, he can Falcon Punch him. Ironically, Falco's Blaster is one reason why Sonic can't really camp if Falco reads Sonic attempting to Spin Charge/Dash camp. That and Reflector having transcendent priority means Falco just does not care what Sonic does - Side Smash is also transcendent, but good luck landing that against a speeding spike ball. Still, they're major commitments which Sonic can bait.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, so I haven't played the 1.10 patch yet. I heard Diddy's D Smash has additional KO power, which pleases me greatly. But what else has changed?

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Ok, so I haven't played the 1.10 patch yet. I heard Diddy's D Smash has additional KO power, which pleases me greatly. But what else has changed?
Up smash links significantly better. Much easier to land dtilt to up smash or up smash OOS. Great patch for Diddy.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
About Mario's match up spread, is he considered to have a better matchup against Sheik than the other top tiers? Or does he still lose to Sheik but doesn't have any other disadvantageous top tier matchups? Could someone elaborate please?

Also a bit off topic kinda, but it's really hard to make a tier list once you get past high tier or your version of A/B tier. Characters like WFT Robin Zelda and Samus continue getting buffs and can jump from being worst in game to bottom of a supposed person's mid tier from some minor changes in multiple moves alone.
People wanna feel like special snowflakes that they play "bad" characters but then once they get massively buffed they can't be saying they're playing a bad character anymore.
Quite literally almost every character in this game can make top 32 at big nationals now.
Uhh....what?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
:4olimar::4wario::4metaknight::4pikachu: are characters that I could see having a slight advantage against Greninja overtime but in light of the buffs it's hard to tell. These four weren't as affected by the patch (Olimar and Pikachu didn't get any changes at all) so it's hard to tell right now how those MUs are without practicing them.

Greninja has a solid MU spread but I don't think it's among the best in the game or anything. If we include Falcon (still can't really see we beating Diddy), then he only has advantages against 2 of the most relevant characters (the other being Luigi). Meanwhile Sheik wrecks him pretty severely (more than she does to some other high tiers at least) and that alone is a massive hit to his viability.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
About Mario's match up spread, is he considered to have a better matchup against Sheik than the other top tiers? Or does he still lose to Sheik but doesn't have any other disadvantageous top tier matchups? Could someone elaborate please?

Uhh....what?
i'd say :4sonic: has a better matchup. if its not even its only slightly disadvantaged.

BSP

Smash Legend
Who does Mario lose too besides Sheik and Luigi who was just nerfed? Marth and Lucy? Roy maybe?

Serious question.
Maybe Rosalina. He's got Bthrow to KO Luma, yeah, but getting in is a chore, her edgeguarding is brutal, and Mario can get juggled for days with Uair.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Oh yeah I forgot to reply to this

@ FullMoon FullMoon I'm sure your ROB woes are due in no small part to you mostly playing online. ROB can be an absolute nightmare in even the slightest bit of lag. Assuming you struggle with him offline too (idk if there are any ROBs in your scene) you may be giving him too much respect in neutral as a result of online matches. It really is a case of picking up the gyro and camping him (works even better with the new shurikens) and abusing his horrible disadvantage state. Steer clear of staying in his face; Nair is really dumb and ROB's hoo hah will end us quickly at certain percents. I don't think it's an easy MU by any means but it's not one we should lose decisively.
I literally have no idea if there's any ROBs in my area because I basically haven't gotten into my scene. I'll only get properly into it after the tournament on the 28th, hopefully I'll be able to make a strong introduction lol.

I do know that playing online does make ROB more of a pain to fight, especially when lag is more consistently bad for me.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Also, was Sheik nerfed or not?
Minor damage nerf to fair. No change to needles. Seems like they're cutting characters that have already been nerfed like Shiek and Diddy a break and giving heavy buffs to others instead.

Edit: Ninja'd. How do we see the Luigi Pikachu MU after the patch? Still a solid win for Luigi?

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Also versed MK again, the matches were really close. But I have to ask again, why is that MU considered MKs favour warionumbah2? When has this MU happened at top level?
Which matchup is that?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Who do we think has the best MU against Sheik? Is it Rosalina, Lucario, Mario, Kirby? I've fought a couple Sheiks who say they hate Kirby, and others who hate Yoshi. One guy even switched off of Sheik for Kirby. I didn't think it was that bad.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who do we think has the best MU against Sheik? Is it Rosalina, Lucario, Mario, Kirby? I've fought a couple Sheiks who say they hate Kirby, and others who hate Yoshi. One guy even switched off of Sheik for Kirby. I didn't think it was that bad.
Definitely not Mario. I think the match up is pretty rough for him because she has better off stage options. I feel like the match up is a juggle fest and goes back and forth on the stage but Sheik has so many tools to mess up Mario off stage that it's not even funny. Mario has lots of offstage tools too but Sheik's recovery is reliable enough that a cape, ledge trump bair, or FLUDD blast is hardly the end of the world for her like it is other characters. If the needles were weaker and bouncing fish didn't exist, I would probably argue this matchup being even but Sheik can easily trump Mario's options when he's trying to make it back to the stage.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The character archetype that beats Greninja is characters who are good up close, can get in, and STAY in. These characters are the ones who abuse his biggest weakness, his poor OoS game, the best. Few characters can stay in on Greninja because he's so quick vertically and horizontally, so even though he loses to plenty of characters up close he can always reset to mid range, where he wants to be. Sheik and Fox are the main characters who fit this archetype; both are fast enough to keep up with Greninja and bully him up close. Sheik has the added luxury of forcing Greninja to approach with needles which only makes things harder.

You might be thinking that plenty of characters can effectively "stay in" on Greninja if they force him to approach, but in reality, he can reset to mid range as he pleases against these characters (Link, MM etc) because they still can't lock him down, hence he can still play at his optimal range (Greninja is strong at midrange for the same reasons as Falcon but he has a projectile as well). Against Sheik he can't do this because of needles. Also Greninja tends to be better up close than the heavy campers who force him to approach, mostly because his frame 3 jab is usually faster than their entire moveset and it can let him mixup on block.

So, we would lose to Pikachu for sure if Hydro Pump didn't wreck Quick Attack so badly - HP is hands down the best anti QA tool in the game. Not only does it ruin Pikachu's QA recovery no matter how he tries to do it, it makes QA an actual risk in neutral (gasp). Greninja get within range of Hydro Pump and just Hydro Pump back whenever he thinks Pika will QA, and Pika can't punish him for throwing it out because if he QAs too early he hits the water. So the fact we can ruin Pika's attempts to QA in keeps the MU even IMO. Otherwise we would lose because Pika fits the character archetype that beats Greninja perfectly.

MK struggles to get in a bit more than is ideal. I can't see us losing to him while we have the Shadow Sneak hitstun cancel to break his Shuttle Loop combos, since it adds an element of risk to what is really his scariest trait. This is the only MU where I think the SS hitstun cancel actually matters. When that goes, we could lose, but I'm less worried about MK than Wario.

Wario is a weird one, he doesn't have many of the traits Greninja struggles against but he's just a really good, safe character. I can see us losing to him easily. I am confident that this MU improved with the new shurikens though because Wario spends so much time in the air and aerial shuriken is so good now.

Olimar definitely outcamps us and his ground game is better than ours, though the gap has shrunk once again thanks to new shurikens. I think it's a hard MU but I don't think we should lose. We camp back quite well and can safely remove all but blue attached Pikmin with Nair.

Agreed. How do we feel about greninja being an honorable mention here? Very solid, even or slightly better against most of the cast with the buffs IMO. Really only loses to Shiek, Sonic, and Fox. The problem is those three are common tournament threats however. But he still has few bad matchups with nothing unwinnable.

Edit: I also don't think he soundly wins over quite as many as Mario, Shiek, or Sonic. Also how is Rosalina not on the list of best matchup spreads? Who does she lose to?
I don't even think we lose to Sonic any more. He can catch us but he doesn't actually like staying in. We can deal with Spin Dash by using jab or just punishing the jump after he hits our shield with full hop Bair. Homing Spin is a free 14% every time it hits our shield because Fair has enough range to be a guaranteed punish. Campy Sonic is a problem, but he's a problem for everyone.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
No Sonic should be Spin Dash Jumping if they hit the shield anyway.

Greninja could possibly Shadow Sneak a Spindash going through the shield and is still going though.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Lucario has a winning matchup vs Sheik (at least 55:45 if not 60:40). Really, he does by design. He loses in neutral pretty much but it doesn't really matter as Sheik has some trouble securing kills (exacerbated by Lucario's weight and godly recovery) and Lucario can kill you at 30% with aura. I guess Lucario is just a character that people overlook, but this has kind of been a known thing among Sheiks for quite a while and Mr R has stated as such on stream in the past. He's also a pretty easy character to pull out a bs secondary like Falcon or something against and just kinda win because his other matchups (against characters with strong kill power/confirms) are generally pretty meh.

MK vs Sheik is definitely even, idk what MKs are on about now but results recently have shown it (MK Leo > Mr R, Tyrant > Vinnie) and even their own matchup thread pretty much agrees with this. Sheik is safer, but MK has the multiple jumps and speed to kinda space around needles. His dash attack, dash grab, and up air are absolutely devastating for Sheik. MKs that don't drop conversions can kill Sheik really easily due to her physics (she's light and a fast faller). The kill power/setup disparity is enormous, which easily makes this matchup even.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
MK vs Greninja is in Greninja's favor for a variety of reasons, but the matchup would honestly be mostly even if frog couldn't escape our most volatile kill move so readily. Any frog that knows how to use ss to escape shuttle loop will probably have the edge.

Ness matchup is like... Ok we play mostly even or slightly in Mk favor on stage, and then where mk should beat him off stage, making even the slightest mistake means Mk loses a stock. Pk fire is pretty bad to use in this matchup in general, Mk can just sh over it and grab, Mk mobility just kind of beats ness on stage. Pk thunder isn't too much of a hassle either because Mk is really good at avoiding it and getting back to stage. The flip side is Mk weight and status as a fast faller means he gets comboed by ness if he gets a grab, and also dies early to bthrow. Tbh bthrow is the deciding factor in the matchup, its just a constant threat, that and edge guarding ness being so dangerous. If I went into matchup numbers I'd think it either be +1 for Mk or even, but I lean more towards even, bthrow is just so deadly. Without bthrow it would definitely be +1 tho.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I really doubt it. Shadow Sneak is just too slow for that.
You Shadow Sneak and hold it until the Sonic turns the spindash around or he screech stops, and peg him in the endlag.

And if the Sonic jumps after hitting the shield through, at worst Greninja reset the situation back to neutral, and at best, Sonic has to worry about landing with a Greninja closer and ready and waiting.

Though granted at that point it'd probably be better to just dash in out of shield and be prepared to grab him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Take out that silly shadow thing and get rid of that silly rco lag on MKs shuttle loop then we're good to go. For some reason he can't cancel grounded shuttle loop, so weird.

Tis a shame we'll never see this MU since there's less Greninja's than MKs shockingly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I could do with a real solid shot of reality. I feel like Marth is just... so good...

Up Tilt... oh man up tilt.
Back hit is setting up for up airs/aerials/maybe even smash attacks of the tipper variety nearly all the time. It chains into itself at low percent by turning around between hits. Up Tilt -> Up Air -> Up Air -> Up Tilt rinse repeat is KIND OF A THING TOO.

Down Air's 4 frames off landing is pretty significant I'm finding. We now have a fast fall landing aerial that can be just as long horizontally as it is vertically below us. 0.7x modifier on hit lag on a 11 damage move like this is pretty nice. The sour spot sends directly upwards and doesn't exactly scale knockback too well ;). I'd say it's almost like the up tilt you fast fall with in terms of follow ups... lol.

Angle=0x50, KBG=0x46, FKB=0x0, BKB=0x28 on vertical sending down air, with 24 or more frames of end lag
vs
Angle=0x64, KBG=0x64, FKB=0x0, BKB=0x34 on sour up tilt behind him, with between 28 to 24 frames of end lag

Yeah... so it's basically an up tilt you fast fall into the ground now.

If you don't tech a Marth fair/nair/bair into the ground you can take a tipper with a greater degree of reliability now. That's scary as ****. And it also seems more plausible for him to tech chase aerials which ground people now as well... wasn't feasible for him at all before.

Neutral Air seems solidly safe on shield now and for a move that's active for roughly 15 frames it's killing freakishly early, I think they may have changed the sound effect because it slashes loudly as it hits people now, instant tingles er'ry time (may be to do with damage increase). Don't do a standard get up from the ledge anymore, heck even get up attacks will lose, and those 3 frames of less ending lag from before plus the length of active frames gives you enough reactive leeway to try to cover rolls too.

Now here's the bummer.
Lucina gets it worse on both Up Tilt/Down Air, especially up tilt, by having greater knock back on the latter parts of up tilt and on the vertical up air sour spot.
Oh and down air will be about 2-3 frames safer on shield as well. RIP.

Just in general it's crazy how much 2 frames made a difference on the aerials and another 3 frames off up tilt... Marth's getting the types of hits he wants (sour or sweet spots) that are chaining longer because he has that much more time to dash or jump or whatever to continue things. If they do this again Marth's going to be over the top for sure lol.
In the name of the Empire plz STAHP!!!!

They must NOT know brother.

For HIS kingdom, they MUST not know!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
MK vs Sheik is definitely even, idk what MKs are on about now but results recently have shown it (MK Leo > Mr R, Tyrant > Vinnie) and even their own matchup thread pretty much agrees with this. Sheik is safer, but MK has the multiple jumps and speed to kinda space around needles. His dash attack, dash grab, and up air are absolutely devastating for Sheik. MKs that don't drop conversions can kill Sheik really easily due to her physics (she's light and a fast faller). The kill power/setup disparity is enormous, which easily makes this matchup even.
Notice how those Sheiks refuse to abuse needles. The MU thread is bs and outdated, one of the commentators at Ito's scene referenced our thread saying its even smfh. We went back and changed it asap because its silly.

I can post a vid right now of Ito losing to (piercing)needle camping Sheik and the loooooong GF of him barely winning against trevonte. FYI Vinnie beat Tyrant in losers and Mr R was the one that sent Tyrant to losers.

MK doesn't go even with Sheik, he doesn't get invalidated therefore he can win. Sometimes.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I could do with a real solid shot of reality. I feel like Marth is just... so good...

Up Tilt... oh man up tilt.
Back hit is setting up for up airs/aerials/maybe even smash attacks of the tipper variety nearly all the time. It chains into itself at low percent by turning around between hits. Up Tilt -> Up Air -> Up Air -> Up Tilt rinse repeat is KIND OF A THING TOO.

Down Air's 4 frames off landing is pretty significant I'm finding. We now have a fast fall landing aerial that can be just as long horizontally as it is vertically below us. 0.7x modifier on hit lag on a 11 damage move like this is pretty nice. The sour spot sends directly upwards and doesn't exactly scale knockback too well ;). I'd say it's almost like the up tilt you fast fall with in terms of follow ups... lol.

Angle=0x50, KBG=0x46, FKB=0x0, BKB=0x28 on vertical sending down air, with 24 or more frames of end lag
vs
Angle=0x64, KBG=0x64, FKB=0x0, BKB=0x34 on sour up tilt behind him, with between 28 to 24 frames of end lag

Yeah... so it's basically an up tilt you fast fall into the ground now.

If you don't tech a Marth fair/nair/bair into the ground you can take a tipper with a greater degree of reliability now. That's scary as ****. And it also seems more plausible for him to tech chase aerials which ground people now as well... wasn't feasible for him at all before.

Neutral Air seems solidly safe on shield now and for a move that's active for roughly 15 frames it's killing freakishly early, I think they may have changed the sound effect because it slashes loudly as it hits people now, instant tingles er'ry time (may be to do with damage increase). Don't do a standard get up from the ledge anymore, heck even get up attacks will lose, and those 3 frames of less ending lag from before plus the length of active frames gives you enough reactive leeway to try to cover rolls too.

Now here's the bummer.
Lucina gets it worse on both Up Tilt/Down Air, especially up tilt, by having greater knock back on the latter parts of up tilt and on the vertical up air sour spot.
Oh and down air will be about 2-3 frames safer on shield as well. RIP.

Just in general it's crazy how much 2 frames made a difference on the aerials and another 3 frames off up tilt... Marth's getting the types of hits he wants (sour or sweet spots) that are chaining longer because he has that much more time to dash or jump or whatever to continue things. If they do this again Marth's going to be over the top for sure lol.
The reality is that he IS very good. I think this patch kind of finalized it, but I was of this belief the last time he got buffed. But now? He's in a really good spot. He's in a good spot I think, a very playable character who can do well against a lot of characters but doesn't like....well, do what Brawl Marth did, aye! Perhaps you can take him up again and do well, mhm -_0

DRINK THE BLOOD OF THOSE WHO OPPOSE YOU NOW! I'm very happy Marth finally made it! When Dr. Mario eventually has this happen, if ever, I will run back to him too. This new patch gives me hope for him, he got a very strong addition.

Customs Marth is another story, that's just...absurd, I think, at this point. It used to be the only way to play him but now it's like....ridiculously good.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It's a little late and a few of them have done it already, but I'll give my personal take on :4greninja: vs the Top 20 (because lists are fun):
-2::4sheik:
-1::4sonic:,:4fox:
0: :4diddy:,:rosalina:,:4zss:,:4mario:,:4yoshi:,:4olimar:,:4rob:,:4lucario:,:4metaknight:,:4pikachu:,:4ness:,:4wario2:,:4pit::4darkpit:
+1::4miibrawl:,:4falcon:,:4villagerf:
+2::4luigi:

Some things to note:
  • Sheik's just going to be everyone's worst MU.
  • I think the Luigi matchup is one where Luigi greatly suffers; we can basically stall him down with Shurikens and literally run away from many of his tools, in addition to escaping many of his combos.
  • The Ness matchup may be a -.5 or something; I'm unsure the most about this matchup by far.
  • Customs Off, we win against Brawler and Villager. Customs On, I'd say they're even, or closer to it at least.
  • While I say that Dark Pit is 0, I think Pit's version is a little more even due to the arrows.
Feel free to challenge this, or just nitpick it. Greninja happens to go even against a good chunk of the cast, notably the perceived threats. Jiggs is what I'd consider his best MU however.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
EL's right. You're putting our liege and his kingdom in danger.

Edit: As long as ZeRo, M2K, and reddit scrubs think he's bad and as long as he keeps losing online we'll be fine.

I want my hitboxes and autocancels!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom