• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin gained a 10 frame advantage on Elthunder and Arcthunder now, so having that stored and lobbing it out when under pressure is a quick reminder for them to respect the blast if they're right in front of it, and realize that they have to react faster to punish Robin for it.

And sometimes that still won't work, because with that ten frame advantage, the book comes out ten frames faster too, making grab punishes turn around on them instead.

It really helps his neutral game, and his disadvantage state to a degree.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
It depends on what made you think they were dysfunctional in the first place I suppose.

We throw around a lot of general terms in these discussions, but I'm not sure we're all on the same page as to how they're defined or how their definitions apply in the meta.

What exactly would you say makes Greninja functional that Robin lacks?
It's weird to compare them because they're very different characters, but mobility is the main thing. His mobility is the probably the only thing that stopped him from falling to low tier.

But now, the buffed shurikens allow him to force approaches and pressure from afar extremely well. At 45 total frames they are among the fastest projectiles in the game from start to end, the only one that comes to mind as being faster is one shot from Fox's Blaster (even Sheik shooting one needle takes 47 total frames). Greninja, unlike Robin, can use his mobility to pressure in tandem with his good projectile. It gives him a lot of opportunities to get hits. Dthrow actually being good now is icing on the cake.

He pressures you from afar with throwing stars, making you uneasy because you never know when he's going to strike. And when he does, he strikes hard and fast.

In short, he finally plays like a Ninja.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It depends on what made you think they were dysfunctional in the first place I suppose.

We throw around a lot of general terms in these discussions, but I'm not sure we're all on the same page as to how they're defined or how their definitions apply in the meta.

What exactly would you say makes Greninja functional that Robin lacks?
Robin is the least mobile character in a game where sheer mobility trumps a lot of other attributes.
Robin has unspectcular frame data in a game where frame data is an important facet of a character.
Robin's moves - apart from his projectiles - all have a good deal of commitment to them - in a game where safety is king.

Now add those issues together and you have a character with glaring holes in his gameplay. It takes quite a bit to make up for that. Does Robin have what it takes? I don't see the amazing footsie options in neutral [grab jab and tilts are all pretty lackluster], damage out put or even recovery that could help Robin overcome these weaknesses. More reliable KO options is a huge deal though by itself not enough to make Robin a good character.

:059:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I believe Robin's basic Thunder is faster than a single shuriken animation. 39 frames total iirc.

At the very least, basic Speed Thunder is.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
It seems like what you listed were things (some probably arguable) that Greninja is better at rather than what makes him functional while Robin supposedly isn't. This is what I meant when I said these terms probably don't hold the same meaning among everyone that reads them. If we're talking function I'm assuming design with strengths and weaknesses in mind in relation to game mechanics and the cast.

A zoner that can not zone is a dysfunctional character. A high risk/reward character(not sure how you'd term characters like Ganon and Bowser) that doesn't get any reward(disproportionately low) is dysfunctional.

How is Robin exactly lacking in function?
Oh, well by that definition Robin did feel like he couldn't zone in the match ups that mattered. Top tiers got in easily unless the Robin player was much better than them.

By my definition, he could not function in the top level metagame due to his inability to work his game plan against many popular characters. I guess Greninja had similar issues and certainly wasn't really taking names left and right, but there was aMSa who placed very high at Apex and did moderately well at EVO proving it was at least possible. Greninja also has a better matchup spread in my eyes.

Who has done well with Robin besides Nairo who seems to have dropped him for a more versatile, viable character? Real question, I don't know of anyone. I haven't seen him on stream in like months. Robin has always seemed like a great counter pick character to me with too many flaws to go solo.

Although, both characters did just get significantly buffed.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Raziek and Mr. II did make Top 48 at EVO. I think Robin was the only not!-high tier character to have more than one rep place that high, other than GW or Miss Fit iirc.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Tweek also placed pretty high with Bowser Junior. Now, WFT is pretty high tier with Customs.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Tweek also placed pretty high with Bowser Junior. Now, WFT is pretty high tier with Customs.
Wii Fit now got a set of buffs to be even stronger.
But, on the other side, there's these other characters...
If i wasn't busy, i'd make a pic of characters such as Samus or Doctor Mario, crying, looking at the new stars of the patch, or the untounched top tiers.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm watching Ike dittos in Losers Finals at Invictus.

This is so silly. The edgeguarding in the ditto is so dumb.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I still think it's too early to make any judgement calls on Robin's viability, especially without seeing him in tournament play. At the end of the day, armchair theory only takes you so far.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
SHHHHHHHHHH

The lambs must not know brother.

They would NEVER understand such beauty.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm watching Ike dittos in Losers Finals at Invictus.

This is so silly. The edgeguarding in the ditto is so dumb.
Ike gets 1st and shares 3rd with Ross's other characters. Uair killed Lucario at 80% at Smashville with no rage. Hurray for now having either the strongest or 2nd strongest Uair in the game.

Ryo needs to stop going for Usmash so much. The Ike Skype chat was yelling at him constantly, missed so many early kills because he didn't go for grab -> uair. Or even just Dthrow at a few points.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike gets 1st and shares 3rd with Ross's other characters. Uair killed Lucario at 80% at Smashville with no rage. Hurray for now having either the strongest or 2nd strongest Uair in the game.

Ryo needs to stop going for Usmash so much. The Ike Skype chat was yelling at him constantly, missed so many early kills because he didn't go for grab -> uair. Or even just Dthrow at a few points.
I go for usmash if 2 things occur:

1. The opponent used his double jump
2. I have stage control and the opponent can't rightfully challenge me or evade.

It's probably not good to just whip it out whenever.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
People here saying this and that about the winner of the patches........I won't explicitly 4 explain why (as seen spiteful people may try and start complaining about it), but DK, that chracter that always goes low under the radar, probably got one the biggest buffs.

The resurrection of a forbidden technique that was given to his nephew has finally been blessed onto his uncle.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
People here saying this and that about the winner of the patches........I won't explicitly 4 explain why (as seen spiteful people may try and start complaining about it), but DK, that chracter that always goes low under the radar, probably got one the biggest buffs.

The resurrection of a forbidden technique that was given to his nephew has finally been blessed onto his uncle.
He's finally back to kick some tail!
Truth be told, I'm more ok with DK having that than Diddy...no offense Diddy peeps lol.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105

I'm still unpacking so I didn't get to watch it, but Abadango tweeted out calling himself DKAbadango earlier. And apparently had a stream with the same name. Seems you aren't alone in this assessment.

But yeah, even if he is forbidden from using his Wind God powers, the future is looking bright for DK

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike received that forbidden technique too, except his uair is way stronger than DK's (but oddly not in %).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin also got the forbidden technique that mains have rechristened as CheckMate, but to make up for the poor grab range he has, he has two disjointed setups into the grab, along with Uair endlag low enough that he can bust out a Bair or Fsmash if it's airdodged out. Plus it beats double jumps.

Not an equal substitute for mobility, but what Robin's got has their own individual threat level regardless.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No disrespect but good luck consistently getting grabs to Ike, DK, and Robin. Sonic, Fox, Sheik etc all run circles around yall. Gonna need them hard reads.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No disrespect but good luck consistently getting grabs to Ike, DK, and Robin. Sonic, Fox, Sheik etc all run circles around yall. Gonna need them hard reads.
Ike has zero problem with Sonic and can grab him quite reliably. Bluntly the MU is probably in Ike's favour at this point.

Fox and Sheik are more difficult, but we have moves that combo into grab. Those two are also lightweights so we just have to land one with them at about 80% (Ike will almost for sure have rage at that point) and they're dead.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
good luck running circles around any of them. giant hitboxes are a struggle to run around

also how is :4sonic: in:4myfriends: favor? i'm curious.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Do you feel it... A cold breeze on the back of your neck? You feel a serious chill and then it quickly dawns on you. "No.... No not again!" You run to look at the calendar crossing your fingers and hoping against hope but you know there's no hiding from it...

Yep, it's the first of the month! This tier list will cover customs off AND on as well (since I promised it would post Evo) and will be the first new /r/smashbros tier list for our new thread (how special). So feel free to go over there, vote, and discuss a bit and see how the masses at large feel about characters. With this newest patch and Evo being done I'm going to guess this thing will be VERY interesting.
horrible timing considering there's no real consensus on any of the patch changes.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
The reason that forbidden technique was silly is because Diddy has the ability to setup that grab so much more often than the current characters who have it. It's perfectly fine for low mobility characters to have some sort of kill setup off a grab imo. Diddy having it with his specs was kinda stupid.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
good luck running circles around any of them. giant hitboxes are a struggle to run around

also how is :4sonic: in:4myfriends: favor? i'm curious.
You can grab Sonic out of spindash, or in Ike's case punish it with Bair if they do anything but go straight up after hitting your shield. Which makes them predictable and then Uair/Nair/Fair catches a lot of Sonic's options whenever he tries to come back down. Sonic also doesn't have much in the way of options for getting around Nair/Bair/Fair as those aerials don't leave much of anything to punish, particularly the later two with their autocanceling and fairly significant shield push.

Ike is also obviously killing Sonic way earlier than Sonic is killing Ike, and Ike is just about keeping up with Sonic in terms of wracking up damage with his throw combos. If Sonic does anything remotely unsafe he gets punished hard. The game Sonic wants to play (slowing down the game) works in Ike's favour and he's taking bigger gambles than Ike has to.

His recovery like every other recovery also falls victim to the "Eruption absolutely murders anybody who has to grab the ledge due to the few frames where you aren't invincible but can't do anything about it" issue.

Let me put it this way: at that tournament today with the Ikes coming 1st and 3rd? Ross (3rd place guy) switched out of Sheik to Ike against Sonic and took the set.

It was considered about 45-55 Sonic's favour before the last two patches. Then Ike got better both times and Sonic got worse both times. *shrugs*

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'd say :4sonic: didnt get nerfed at all this patch. the nerf is so trivial i find it scrubbish and confusing people are actually complaining about it.

also how is :4myfriends: getting grabs on a staticmanny style of :4sonic:?

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Adding onto results for Ike vs Sonic, I have beaten 2 out of the 3 NYC Sonics (Camalange and BlueTerrorist if I have to name drop) in tournament sets so far. Haven't played Wes yet.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
are we really calling down throw up air a forbidden technique?
well better than hoo hah i guess

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
i'd say :4sonic: didnt get nerfed at all this patch. the nerf is so trivial i find it scrubbish and confusing people are actually complaining about it.

also how is :4myfriends: getting grabs on a staticmanny style of :4sonic:?
A nerf in kill power is a nerf in kill power. Can't brush it aside and pretend it didn't happen. Its more significant against characters like Ike that weight more and live longer.

And the match starts at 0% for both does it not? Why on earth is Ike going to approach? Beyond that, its not particularly difficult to bait stuff with Fair/Bair/Nair. And they will react, otherwise they're going to slowly get punished into a corner by giant hitboxes. And then how does Sonic normally move around the stage? Spin dash. Which leads right into the previously described chain of options.

I'm not aware of a single Ike that doesn't think the MU isn't even or in our favour. Unless Rango still thinks that's the case but he has some... rather odd MU opinions at times.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
that actually sounds like the :4peach:/:4sonic: mu except :4myfriends: has kill confirms off of grabs and one of the biggest disjoints in the game

at least turnips exist :denzel:

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Robin is the least mobile character in a game where sheer mobility trumps a lot of other attributes.

Wrong. While Robin's ground speed is the overall lowest, their air speed is slightly above average. Robin's OVERALL mobility is not the worst in the game.

Robin has unspectcular frame data in a game where frame data is an important facet of a character.

Again, wrong. Robin doesn't have a single move with more than 16 frames of startup. The main kill moves/damage rackers/combo starters are jab (4 frames), grab (7 frames), fair (11 frames), bair and up air (9 and 10 respectively). That's really not bad.

Robin's moves - apart from his projectiles - all have a good deal of commitment to them - in a game where safety is king.

First of all, like 80% of Robin's game is projectiles, so discounting those is kinda dumb. Second, Robin does have some safe things. Fire Jab and down smash are much safer than they appear. And to add in projectiles, retreating ArcFire is actually somewhat challenging to punish. All of the Thunder spells should be harder to punish now.

Now add those issues together and you have a character with glaring holes in his gameplay. It takes quite a bit to make up for that. Does Robin have what it takes? I don't see the amazing footsie options in neutral [grab jab and tilts are all pretty lackluster], damage out put or even recovery that could help Robin overcome these weaknesses. More reliable KO options is a huge deal though by itself not enough to make Robin a good character.

This is what makes me think that you do not know how to play Robin. Robin's Jab is absolutely fantastic, with the wind jab racking up as much as 21% on fast fallers. Even if the opponent DI's out of the final hit, Robin won't be punished for it. And the jab kills at around 130-140% without rage. Fire Jab kills at around 120% near the ledge and starts working when characters can fall out of the wind jab. The new grab buff means that Robin kills everyone from down throw at kill percents, and the grab leads into combos and traps at every relevant percent. I'll give you that Robin has bland tilts, but Robin more than makes up for it with their aerials, with all of them killing sub-120%.

Robin's damage output is also one of the highest in the game. They are hitting you for +15% for every exchange. ArcFire/ArcThunder practically guarantee +20% and lead to killing moves! I can't see any argument for this one. And ElWind is not this godawful recovery that everyone thinks it is. Robin can drift quite a bit between the two hits, and it can spike those who screw up offstage trying to edgeguard Robin. With the combination of ArcFire, Robin's air speed, and ElWind's height, Robin should be able to safely recover most of the time.

:059:
While I bolded my responses, I would really like to ask people to have an accurate impression of a character before they rant about them. Sharing untrue opinions can leave lasting impressions and will negatively impact the development of that character's meta, along with the threat of unnecessary buffs/nerfs.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

Speaking of said matches they are out on YT.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Robins holes in neutral def got smaller thanks to arcthunder buffs. But he remains high risk high reward overall if he wants to actually kill people. thats fine though. He DOES have mobility issues. That is obvious. But he is more properly rewarded for the gambles he takes. Is he top tier? No.

But the question we need to ask is...is he functional? Does his gameplan have merit and does playing him properly yield a reward?

I think the answer to that is now a resounding "YES!!!"

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
A nerf in kill power is a nerf in kill power. Can't brush it aside and pretend it didn't happen. Its more significant against characters like Ike that weight more and live longer.

And the match starts at 0% for both does it not? Why on earth is Ike going to approach? Beyond that, its not particularly difficult to bait stuff with Fair/Bair/Nair. And they will react, otherwise they're going to slowly get punished into a corner by giant hitboxes. And then how does Sonic normally move around the stage? Spin dash. Which leads right into the previously described chain of options.

I'm not aware of a single Ike that doesn't think the MU isn't even or in our favour. Unless Rango still thinks that's the case but he has some... rather odd MU opinions at times.
I thought it was pretty even, but a lot of Sonics seem to be losing the MU in practice..

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is :4marth: a legit high tier character in most peoples minds now? he seems to have what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom