• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Tbh, that was what I was going for. :joyful:

Really, though, I've never played nor watched brawl -- but it took me all of three minutes to fact-check. When people can't be bothered to make sure they're right, it really pisses me off.
fact check = smash wiki the site I was literally just bashing

k

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Watch this and tell me MK's Fsmash isn't super dumb. I was there in person watching this and it was extremely annoying.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
No, fact check=looking at the brawl competitive forum on SWF.
And then you realize the people talking there are mostly not (prob all) good top players and it's just like us, and we can be wrong.

Imagine if people in smash 5 looked back on these discussions, see that post on Robin beating Sheik, and then call it fact. That's what you are basing this off of.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
sheik literally just needles you and down throw up air kills you
so lol saying she has even matches is kind of like saying that captain falcon has an even matchup with fox in melee
I get the feeling that people don't realize that sheik isn't brawl MK. She's not a broken OP character that can kill anybody who dares to oppose the smash hierarchy. Sheik is easily the most balanced #1 compared to any other smash game and easily has a few even MUs. Also, it might have been just been Mario hype, but wasn't the red plumber supposedly going even with sheik?

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Stop making a ******* out of yourself. Smash Games>Brawl>Competitive discussion>official matchup chat>use your ****ing brain and eyes in conjunction with one another to ****ing read.

It's not hard.
This post was a bit much, my apologies.

That said, my sentiment stands -- please just look around a bit before you make baseless claims.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The Brawl match-up chart on the SmashWiki is the one on the Competitive Brawl boards, they're the same. I've heard it be considered inaccurate by many, recently including ESAM.

This argument is so silly.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
how about we stop talking about other smash games?
Homey if you don't live for these petulant slap fights I don't even know what you're doing in this thread.

Content: I am 100% okay with Sheik being the top tier in this game - she's not as dominant as Fox, she's beatable, she takes a bit of skill to use (keeping in mind that Smash 4's skill ceiling is relatively low) - she's a pretty fair top tier, compared to say Fox or MK. In fact I'd say she's the fairest top tier we've had since 64, where everyone could just run train on each other.

Sorry, I just realized I talked about other Smash games! I'm the monster at the end of the book!

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lets ignore the fact that S2H was playing against a character with poor range and no disjoints. You will not see a MK spam F-Smash against Ike and Marth for example.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'm not seeing how his forward smash is super dumb.
how about having a completely disjointed powerful attack that completely wins against non powershields. I anyone believes Villager's F-smash is dumb than go look at MK's which has bigger range and rarely loses/trades

Not saying it's dumb though, just really good and a godsend against CQC characters like Mario

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Brawl match-up chart on the SmashWiki uses the exact same one from the latest SWF match-up chart, they're the same. I've heard it be considered inaccurate by many, recently including ESAM.
That's kinda because the 3rd MU chart had like half the people on panels or even the panel leaders participating in discussion. Prolly due to brawl dying by the time we attempted a 3rd chart.

And again, ESAM. Take what he says with a grain of salt, he doesn't have diddy in top 10 and has pikachu as top 2.
Isn't that enough for people to question his opinions just a tad?

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
how about having a completely disjointed powerful attack that completely wins against non powershields. I anyone believes Villager's F-smash is dumb than go look at MK's which has bigger range and rarely loses/trades

Not saying it's dumb though, just really good and a godsend against CQC characters like Mario
Was his forward smash like this in Brawl?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well at the very least it had more range.

But he had oodles of more busted moves with far less startup so it was rarely used.

Lets ignore the fact that S2H was playing against a character with poor range and no disjoints. You will not see a MK spam F-Smash against Ike and Marth for example.
A Mewtwo, on the other hand...

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
And again, ESAM. Take what he says with a grain of salt, he doesn't have diddy in top 10 and has pikachu as top 2. Isn't that enough for people to question his opinions just a tad?
Yeah, that's true. However, I would've thought ESAM thinking Pikachu vs Meta Knight being even in the first place was the opinion to take with a grain of salt.

Yeah. It had more range too. However, Smash 4's forward smash is a lot stronger, deals 2% more damage and the added shield stun makes it absurdly safe on them.

Huh. Imagine Greninja's old up-smash with these new shield mechanics. That'd be hilarious.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

Watch this and tell me MK's Fsmash isn't super dumb. I was there in person watching this and it was extremely annoying.
I know you're not a Mario main, but given the opponent it almost feels like the pot calling the kettle black.

Super Fish for Smash Attacks Bros.

Ulevo

Smash Master
What makes it dangerous is its base power alongside rage and the hitbox size. It hits most characters hanging from the ledge near the hilt and can hit characters landing in front of him at 45 degrees. It also hits slightly behind him. Both hits do 16 %, and even the sour spot kills very early.

If you want to appreciate how fast it is on cool down, Meta Knight can forward smash to dash attack at low % and as long as the opponent does not DI away it registers as a combo.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know you're not a Mario main, but given the opponent it almost feels like the pot calling the kettle black.

Super Fish for Smash Attacks Bros.
More like Super-Pretend-To-Smash-When-I'm-Really-Going-To-Dash-Attack Bros.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
In terms of worst Dash attacks I'd defintly would say Marth and lucina imo. As of the best dash attack that honor goes to none other then :4metaknight: because any dash attack that's that quick and can lead up to kill confirms is the best dash attack in my book.
People forget about :4shulk:
Marth's dash attack hits frames 13-16 with 50 FAF and 10/9 damage or 12 damage tipped.
Shulk's dash attack hits frames 15-16 with 53 FAF for 11 damage.

I Vote Shulk.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Marth's dash attack hits frames 13-16 with 50 FAF and 10/9 damage or 12 damage tipped.

I Vote Shulk.
Link's dash attack would like to have a word with all of you.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
meh I think placing diddy in top 10 is questionable. he has...like...a doable sheik matchup that he still loses. but rosalina is utterly awful for him, pikachu is bad, mario is uphill, and ness is uphill. he's close to even with zero suit I guess? that's it though. diddy struggles against a lot of top characters which is why zero barely uses diddy (he pulls him vs sheiks because he's awful at the ditto in comparison) and why mvd needs some major luck in bracket for top placings (hence his inconsistency). diddy kong is not a character that can really compete on the top on his own anymore. it'd be ignorant to place him out of the top 15 imo but top 10 is a stretch given his matchup spread.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

I Vote Shulk.
Actually, Lucina. Lucina's DA is WAY worse than Marth's. I'm surprised they have been ignoring this while buffing her other attacks to get them closer to Marth's.

13-16, 9.975%, 48b and 58g, 45°, 49 total frames
vs.
13-16, 9/10/12%, 35/70/80b and 60/55/55g, 361/45/45°, 49 total frames

It's a horribly unbalanced version of an already bad DA. Probably like this because of the existence of Marth's super sourspot (SSS), it messed up their formula.

But the thing is, Marth's SSS is actually useful for setting up tech chases and such at kill percents. Marth's non-SSS can edgeguard well with good, disjointed, active, high base KB frames, stopped right at the ledge. It's weak elsewhere on stage but I've blastzone killed people as early as 60-80 many times thanks to rage and heavy base KB (and probably poor DI) from DA edgeguards. Or how about the Luma matchup? DA is essential in this MU. It's actually good for once! Poor Lucina. With her DA and no tippers elsewhere she honestly sucks at killing Luma.

Lucina's will simply never kill, be unsafe on hit, and overall suck at everything.

This, gentlemen, is by far the worst DA in the game. Like this if you agree with me/I convinced you.

Nah, Link has set-ups into his DA. He can't have the worst DA when it's a kill move (speaking of kill move DAs, the active frames on DDD's makes it among the better DAs plus it's good for outlasting spot dodges).

Last edited:

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Link gets a high sweeping arc (I think it can hit people on platforms), 4 active frames, and can kill. It's also only has a FAF 4 frames later than Shulk's, with his 2 active frames and awful hitbox. I'd trade for Link's dash attack, it could be better to have after Shulk's bthrow than blackslash.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well I mean broken is the wrong term for Melee Fox but undoubtedly the best for sure.
He, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Jigglypuff, and Peach - that dumb Down Smash -, Ice Climbers by virtue of dumb grab mechanics, and plenty more are broken in Melee. Meta Knight, Falco, Snake, Ice Climbers, Triple DD, and probably more because of chain-grabbing's existence were all broken in Brawl. Smash 4 has like what? Diddy, Greninja, and Rosalina at launch? Luigi after patch 1.0.4? And now... like nobody, but for some, arguably Rosalina, DK, and Sheik? Even then, they're pretty tame compared to Melee and Brawl's level of brokenness. If anything, they're just way too good compared to everyone else or have over-tuned options.

I'm on mobile, so I'm not going to go over everything, but to sum up how broken Fox is: frame 1, invincible on frame 1 Reflector used for gimping Melee's poor recoveries and setups since you can jump out of it and a 18% Uair that can easily be setup out of U-throw. Everyone has or can see high level Fox play and notice how dominating he is.

The gap between Fox and the other top tiers is so large, it's not funny. And people want more of this because unlike other fighting games, Smash never had to deal with balanced and unbroken characters.

It's still a frame 24 move that only has 1 active frame and with 41 total frames, it only has 16 recovery frames... That's like decent tilt recovery. Then again, Mario's Up Smash is kind of stupid at times too. :p

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
He, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Jigglypuff, and Peach - that dumb Down Smash -, Ice Climbers by virtue of dumb grab mechanics, and plenty more are broken in Melee. Meta Knight, Falco, Snake, Ice Climbers, Triple DD, and probably more because of chain-grabbing's existence were all broken in Brawl. Smash 4 has like what? Diddy, Greninja, and Rosalina at launch? Luigi after patch 1.0.4? And now... like nobody, but for some, arguably Rosalina, DK, and Sheik? Even then, they're pretty tame compared to Melee and Brawl's level of brokenness. If anything, they're just way too good compared to everyone else or have over-tuned options.

I'm on mobile, so I'm not going to go over everything, but to sum up how broken Fox is: frame 1, invincible on frame 1 Reflector used for gimping Melee's poor recoveries and setups since you can jump out of it and a 18% Uair that can easily be setup out of U-throw. Everyone has or can see high level Fox play and notice how dominating he is.

The gap between Fox and the other top tiers is so large, it's not funny. And people want more of this because unlike other fighting games, Smash never had to deal with balanced and unbroken characters.

It's still a frame 24 move that only has 1 active frame and with 41 total frames, it only has 16 recovery frames... That's like decent tilt recovery. Then again, Mario's Up Smash is kind of stupid at times too. :p
Your term of broken is, I can't call it wrong, but it's not right. You are saying anything good is broken. Broken means unbeatable, way above the rest, wins 99% of the time. Fox is not this. Fox isn't even a tier above Falco and Marth so he can't be way above. Falco and Marth both have even MUs with him, even beat him on stages. His shine is really good but far from broken, by this aspect you're calling Falco's d-air broken because it has better gimping (but more startup). If Meta Knight is called Broken, yet Fox in Melee is also called broken (who isn't even a tier above other top tiers) vs Meta Knight who is 2 tiers (1 above ICs) above the rest of the top tiers, that is a HUGE GAP and it makes your point simply unreliable.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Release Sheik was better than Rosa and Greninja. Let's not forget needles having less ending lag and BF killing earlier.

Nobody has been broken to the degree of Brawl MK or 64 Pikachu. Diddy was the closest but even he had a meaningful flaw, his iffy recovery.

Major controversial opinion alert but if it wasn't for Hydro Pump's old jank, I would say current Greninja is better off than release Greninja. Faster shurikens makes them better for camping (more recovery makes them worse for tick throws but they were never that good at it; kind of a For Glory illusion), he has a much better ground button in Ftilt and he can kill off Dthrow. He is so much better off against shields now, shieldstun nerf or not. The only thing I really miss about release Greninja is Usmash.

Hydro Pump was a major part of what made release Greninja so good, but I feel like it was never intended to behave the way it did so I don't mourn the loss of its power much.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu isnt hard to play. Its just relative.

Smash 4 chars are braindead. Sorry guys we all love the game but its not by any means technical. Go play Guilty Gear then get back to me. Hell play BlazBlue and get back to me and most hardcore GG players will tell you that BB is flippin BABY FOOD compared to GG.

he's hard to play within the context of this game.

Ryu doesnt beat any FE chars but once again having so many consistent kill confirms where 95% of the cast has to go for a read to get a kill is what keeps him in the game.

Ryu beats Falco because they both play footises but Ryu is ALWAYS favored HEAVILY in ALL neutral situations. One mistake on Falco's part means 25% damage at minimum or death.

I don't think Ryu loses to Pika. Like...at all.

I kinda think he eats Pika honestly. Like..what does Pika do that isn't a risk or a mere annoyance? QA? Ryu craps on that with Nair and all his lingering hitboxes. And if Ryu blocks any aerial from Pika, then that rat is gonna feel pain.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Your term of broken is, I can't call it wrong, but it's not right. You are saying anything good is broken. Broken means unbeatable, way above the rest, wins 99% of the time. Fox is not this. Fox isn't even a tier above Falco and Marth so he can't be way above. Falco and Marth both have even MUs with him, even beat him on stages. His shine is really good but far from broken, by this aspect you're calling Falco's d-air broken because it has better gimping (but more startup). If Meta Knight is called Broken, yet Fox in Melee is also called broken (who isn't even a tier above other top tiers) vs Meta Knight who is 2 tiers (1 above ICs) above the rest of the top tiers, that is a HUGE GAP and it makes your point simply unreliable.
I think what he's trying to say is that Melee has a lot of dumb stuff like crazy overtuned hitboxes and attributes... I don't think any decent fighting game designer would intentionally give a character anything like the shine without them being Brawl Dorf bad to begin with. Or any other key characteristics of the best characters in Melee for that matter.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Release Sheik was better than Rosa and Greninja. Let's not forget needles having less ending lag and BF killing earlier.

Nobody has been broken to the degree of Brawl MK or 64 Pikachu. Diddy was the closest but even he had a meaningful flaw, his iffy recovery.

Major controversial opinion alert but if it wasn't for Hydro Pump's old jank, I would say current Greninja is better off than release Greninja. Faster shurikens makes them better for camping (more recovery makes them worse for tick throws but they were never that good at it; kind of a For Glory illusion), he has a much better ground button in Ftilt and he can kill off Dthrow. He is so much better off against shields now, shieldstun nerf or not. The only thing I really miss about release Greninja is Usmash.

Hydro Pump was a major part of what made release Greninja so good, but I feel like it was never intended to behave the way it did so I don't mourn the loss of its power much.
The BF nerf was unnecessary. I don't like how unreliable the move is now.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I think what he's trying to say is that Melee has a lot of dumb stuff like crazy overtuned hitboxes and attributes... I don't think any decent fighting game designer would intentionally give a character anything like the shine without them being Brawl Dorf bad to begin with. Or any other key characteristics of the best characters in Melee for that matter.
But in context of Melee, they aren't broken. If Melee Fox was in Smash 4 he would be broken, but that's because the games are different. A game where everyone is broken makes nobody broken, since broken means unbeatable.

Heck, Fox has about 3 even MUs in Melee, yet as of now Sheik in smash 4 has no even match-ups. When compared, that makes Sheik more broken than fox because she is less beatable. Right? Is @flamran saying Sheik is broken too? No, because smash 4 and Melee are seperate games.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Ryu isnt hard to play. Its just relative.

Smash 4 chars are braindead. Sorry guys we all love the game but its not by any means technical. Go play Guilty Gear then get back to me. Hell play BlazBlue and get back to me and most hardcore GG players will tell you that BB is flippin BABY FOOD compared to GG.

he's hard to play within the context of this game.

Ryu doesnt beat any FE chars but once again having so many consistent kill confirms where 95% of the cast has to go for a read to get a kill is what keeps him in the game.

Ryu beats Falco because they both play footises but Ryu is ALWAYS favored HEAVILY in ALL neutral situations. One mistake on Falco's part means 25% damage at minimum or death.

I don't think Ryu loses to Pika. Like...at all.

I kinda think he eats Pika honestly. Like..what does Pika do that isn't a risk or a mere annoyance? QA? Ryu craps on that with Nair and all his lingering hitboxes. And if Ryu blocks any aerial from Pika, then that rat is gonna feel pain.
Pika wins neutral. from there, he craps on Ryu's recovery. Look at Trela vs ESAM -- Ryu doesn't get back to the stage.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
But in context of Melee, they aren't broken. If Melee Fox was in Smash 4 he would be broken, but that's because the games are different. A game where everyone is broken makes nobody broken, since broken means unbeatable.

Heck, Fox has about 3 even MUs in Melee, yet as of now Sheik in smash 4 has no even match-ups. When compared, that makes Sheik more broken than fox because she is less beatable. Right? Is @flamran saying Sheik is broken too? No, because smash 4 and Melee are seperate games.
Doesn't Fox have better true combos, better damage output, and more reliable kill moves?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The BF nerf was unnecessary. I don't like how unreliable the move is now.
Unreliable!? How is less knockback unreliable? Do you see how good Sheik's are with it off-stage? It still kills quite early out there. BF is super disjointed and has many many active frames. The move gets so good and technical that there are times and characters that completely can't avoid it off-stage.

Also the 3DS blast zones are huge. A weaker BF was absolutely necessary.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Because if he's forced to go low without a jump, the majority of the cast gets a free kill.
I don't see Diddy getting gimped that often. It's really not that simple.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Unreliable!? How is less knockback unreliable? Do you see how good Sheik's are with it off-stage? It still kills quite early out there. BF is super disjointed and has many many active frames. The move gets so good and technical that there are times and characters that completely can't avoid it off-stage.

Also the 3DS blast zones are huge. A weaker BF was absolutely necessary.
The fact that you mentioned Sheik players hitting players with it off-stage as an example of how reliable it is is proof of how unreliable it is. How is taking away knockback from a kill move not making it less reliable? Try killing someone with it at the center of the stage.

I always forget that the 3DS blast zones are bigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom