• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Isn't the MU chart stuff happening cause this is a thing now?
http://smashcompendium.com/matchup-chart/

Also, it's not any better or worse than tier list talk anyways. But at the same time where's the Smash 4 BR to be super duper secret and do the MU chart and tier list stuff :^)
Or are we really gonna just stick with FB and twitter for discussions sadly.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Also, it's not any better or worse than tier list talk anyways. But at the same time where's the Smash 4 BR to be super duper secret and do the MU chart and tier list stuff :^)
tbh we should have a thread for that matchup chart (Matchup thread), and a thread for tier lists.

Zannabluke

Smash Apprentice
today i went to my first local ever (32 man), with wario and doc
i managed to snatch 7th place solo-ing the former except against a mario and a pikachu, where in both cases i used doc
i'm digging how he covers any bad matchups for wario

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
this is what I'm getting from these Mu's

Everyone but :4pit:
:4miisword: : we win

best part the only MU to even bother to explain why it works that way is the not losing MU
Gheb's right these MU charts have become cancerous
Hey, at least I put Miis in the "I dunno" category instead of considering it an auto-win =(

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mac is great. Fast, strong pokes in his jab and tilts, strong footsies options mean he can play neutral very well, he even has super armour on his smashes to make direct challenges difficult and a one-hit KO option!

And then you get grabbed and thrown off-stage and die at 50%.

Mac is a decent character absolutely killed by the weakest recovery potential in the game. It doesn't matter how well he can do in neutral, his disadvantage state is virtually non-existent. Then you have characters like Sheik that can just f-air him from one side of the stage to the other and pretty much any zoning character that doesn't respect anything he does.

Optimal Mac is probably very good, but even then he's designed for one kind of stage and he can't do anything about it. Picking Duck Hunt is pretty much an instant defeat for Mac. The stage itself invalidates Mac.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Miis are such an unkown. Does anyone here really know what there capable of? I'd like to know what Mii mains think in terms of MU's and stuff.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Here's my MU Chart for :4link: (And yes, the characters ARE in order)

Big Advantage (65:35)
:4dedede::4charizard::4samus::4bowser::4jigglypuff::4gaw::4zelda::4feroy::4falcon::4littlemac:

Advantage (60:40 to 55:45)
:4miisword::4miigun::4drmario::4kirby::4bowserjr::4mewtwo::4wiifit::4lucario::4palutena::4olimar::4megaman::4shulk::4duckhunt::4lucina::4ganondorf::4pacman:

Even (50:50)
:4lucas::4ryu::4marth::4mario::4diddy::4greninja::4myfriends::4sheik::4pit::4darkpit::4tlink::4dk::4wario2::4robinm:

Slight Disadvantage (45:55)
:4metaknight::4luigi::4falco::4villager::4ness::4zss:

Disadvantage (40:60)
:4sonic::4fox::4peach::4pikachu::4yoshi::4rob::4miibrawl::rosalina:

The way I see it, Link can hold his own if you know how to use him right. The reason I put Pac-Man in his advantage zone is because last night, I had quite a lot of matches with a few astonishingly amazing (tournament level) Pac-Man players on, believe it or not, For Glory. They really did a number on all my characters except Link, I couldn't even win with Ganondorf, but I managed to win with Link when I went 30% serious. Hydrants, Trampoline shenanigans, Fruit picking, combos, they had a great amount of that, but I still won using Link.

As for Link and Sheik being even, we have to remember that Sheik isn't the only character who has combo capabilities. Link does too, and I've even fought a Sheik player online (on With Friends), and he did the same thing to me with every character but Link. But I still struggled with Link, he struggled with Sheik, and it came to my conclusion that they would be more over a tie than anything else. I even went to a couple tournaments to fight against good Sheik players and found that Link can hold his own against her.

Link primarily has an advantage on characters with somewhat bad or predictable projectiles or characters who need to rush him down to do anything. He beats Mega Man because he actually shuts down Mega Man's projectiles and has to make Mega Man respect the Bomb, he beats every super heavy except for DK because of their size and weight, and he can kill characters like Doc, Kirby, Mewtwo, Lucario and Puff extremely, extremely early.

D3 is Link's best MU, because D3 is an extremely slow, extremely heavy and extremely sluggish attacker who's only projectile is literally beaten by Link's. D3 is combo food against Link, and has only one option to get out of combos, and that's N-Air. If D3 gets a grab on Link, he can get something going, if he can hit Link with D-Smash, he can KO Link well. But that's IF he can, because D3 is notorious for being the slowest character in overall stats (by this, I mean D3 is the slowest character in dexterity, which is his mobility, aerial mobility and attack speeds all combined; he's not the slowest runner, but if you combine all his stats, he is the slowest). Link on the other hand can just wail on him like no one's business, and I believe this is a solid 80:20 or 70:30 win for him. Link's got the speed, mobility, grab range and most importantly, range and size, all of which are better, compared to D3.

Also, Link doesn't have a projectile that is just shot back at him.
I actually believe Yoshi goes even with Link. My reasons can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/YoshiMains/comments/3f27lv/worst_match_up_for_yoshi/ctwdn6e

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
today i went to my first local ever (32 man), with wario and doc
i managed to snatch 7th place solo-ing the former except against a mario and a pikachu, where in both cases i used doc
i'm digging how he covers any bad matchups for wario
Except Sheik of course.

And I'm not sure if Doc sufficiently "covers" Wario's matchups against Diddy and Yoshi but he's generally a pretty good secondary for Wario.

:059:

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
This is a very important post and I want to respond to it to emphasise that.

This is why I'm wary of ditching Mewtwo into the "no hopers" category and being done with it. Optimally speaking, Mewtwo is a very scary character: decent frame data, good mobility, disjoints, a very powerful stored weapon, a reflect / command grab in the same move, great kill power, a highly damaging f-throw, combo d-throw and two very powerful kill throws in u-throw and b-throw.

What holds him back is his size, relatively weak combo potential and weight. In a crazy 20XX world where you're never going to get hit and therefore entirely mitigate Mewtwo's biggest weakness, Mewtwo would probably be one of the scariest characters in the roster.

That isn't going to happen. There's no denying the fact that Mewtwo's weight is a big weakness. He is going to get hit, and it is going to hurt. That's inescapable. What we can do, and what Japan seems to have figured out, is accept that and take steps to optimise what strengths he does have. In a context where Mewtwo is still going to die early, but in which he can make you suffer and potentially kill you even faster, I can see him being a very potent character indeed.

I dunno. Just vague ramblings. Mewtwo's cool. We love a bit of Mewtwo.
I'll be honest, I don't really see what makes M2's frame data decent when he doesn't have a single attack that comes out earlier than frame 6 (as well as having typical heavy lag).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I might be too kind here and I'm sure some will argue that Ryu BODIES *insert random mid tier here* and maybe he does. I tend to be conservative with match-up numbers.

I do not feel he has any match he loses at the select screen. He simply does too much damage and kills too consistently.
I think there's more to Ryu being able to overcome matchups than just his damage output and kill potential, otherwise Ganondorf would be a much better character.

It's that there really isn't a single aspect about Ryu that's bad in the slightest. The closest thing to "meh" about him is hadouken zoning, and even that works perfectly fine if the opponent can't zone back.

He's got excellent frame data where it counts, his recovery has good distance with mixup potential, his disadvantage isn't bad at all with focus attack, a sex kick nair that can start combos AND aerials that are generally tough to punish on shield, has enough range to space, has good weight... and he literally has more tools than almost anyone for any given situation.

Like in Street Fighter, he's a well-rounded fighter that handle almost anything with enough practice using his tools. He compares interestingly to Mewtwo in that way; just that Ryu has a preference for close combat (hence multiple sub-frame 5 normals and good stamina) while Mewtwo prefers mid-range and longer.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze

The difference is that everyone posting MUs for different characters creates potentially 3025 variables whereas with tier lists there's only 55 to think about and it's still really tough. MUs are the most important thing and what tier lists are ultimately based on, but there's no real hope to get anything constructive done like this. If there's going to be a matchup chart for Smash 4 it should be done via some small (~50 people) council based on credibility.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Antonykun Antonykun and san. san. have put good work into researching the Miis.
I have a high opinion of 0/0 Gunner, but hardly anyone plays the character right in general. Only me and Wii Twerk Trainer (top 32 at Evo with her and WFT) are anywhere close. The patch made attacks like her tilts just safe enough to use in neutral more often for 0/0 size. They're all around 32-35 FAF.

Swordfighter is pretty decent when he can get the momentum. Many of swordfighter's attacks are nearly +0 to -3 on shield drop, which is quite helpful.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll be honest, I don't really see what makes M2's frame data decent when he doesn't have a single attack that comes out earlier than frame 6 (as well as having typical heavy lag).
It's decent in that it's serviceable. Satisfactory for what it does.

Yeah, he has heavy-esque lag on his smashes, but I think that comes with the territory of how strong they are. I don't think the issue is that Mewtwo has that kind of lag on his smashes, it's that he has that heavy-esque lag without the weight to justify it.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Mewtwo's Dsmash has very low ending lag. It's basically an MK Fsmash. Great for footsies.

The others though, yeah. They're heavy smashes.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
The difference is that everyone posting MUs for different characters creates potentially 3025 variables whereas with tier lists there's only 55 to think about and it's still really tough. MUs are the most important thing and what tier lists are ultimately based on, but there's no real hope to get anything constructive done like this. If there's going to be a matchup chart for Smash 4 it should be done via some small (~50 people) council based on credibility.
Combined with the constant patches this game gets, it's practically impossible to have a consistent MU chart. With every single patch and new discoveries with various characters (in a 55 character cast at that), something is bound to change within the MU chart.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo may not have anything below that (just to reinforce the notion you aren't expected to rush in and push buttons to win), but he has a few that come close and hit surprisingly hard for that speed. Namely fair AKA Shadow Claw and usmash. These two moves can clutch out game-winning stocks with the smallest of openings. Also usmash's riskiness isn't so much because it's laggy but due to how long it lasts.

Then there are the moves with noticeable startup but surprisingly low endlag. These are dsmash and Shadow Ball.

Fsmash is really moderate in both startup and endlag. Enough to make it risky to throw out too much but also reasonably tough to punish on shield. Certainly not like Bowser's, Dedede's or Ike's. More on par with Ganon/Falcon or Mario's.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think there's more to Ryu being able to overcome matchups than just his damage output and kill potential, otherwise Ganondorf would be a much better character.

It's that there really isn't a single aspect about Ryu that's bad in the slightest. The closest thing to "meh" about him is hadouken zoning, and even that works perfectly fine if the opponent can't zone back.

He's got excellent frame data where it counts, his recovery has good distance with mixup potential, his disadvantage isn't bad at all with focus attack, a sex kick nair that can start combos AND aerials that are generally tough to punish on shield, has enough range to space, has good weight... and he literally has more tools than almost anyone for any given situation.

Like in Street Fighter, he's a well-rounded fighter that handle almost anything with enough practice using his tools. He compares interestingly to Mewtwo in that way; just that Ryu has a preference for close combat (hence multiple sub-frame 5 normals and good stamina) while Mewtwo prefers mid-range and longer.
Well yeah his specs are awesome. I didn't mention it because I kind of thought it was a given. He is a jack of all trades in a game where alot of characters have clearly defined exploitable weaknesses. Ryu will take his player as far as their dedication will allow them to go. Such is the nature of his tool set.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Mewtwo:

I don't get why Mewtwo's U-air seems to have such little knockback when it does 11% damage.

You'd think that if it's knockback is going to be meh it'd have better endlag so it could be chained like Mario's Uair or something but it doesn't.

That odd factor alone makes it pretty mediocre IMO, because sure you can get it true off D-tilt until decently mid-late percent but it won't kill so IMO it's meh, I also take issue with his Bair having a base sweetspot instead of a tail sweetspot, but that's just me.

They're things that hold him back on top of the major factors that hold him back already IMO.

And don't get me started on Confusion's Command Grab not having hitstun, that makes me rage.

/ramblingsofamewtwofanboy

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Thank you!

BTW, is there a list of formats for linking to a video, mentioning somebody, etc., like Reddit has?

Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 , I'm curious as to why you think Yoshi is practically unwinnable for Kirby. Does he just do that well against light, floaty characters?
Yoshi outspeeds and outranges Kirby, forces Kirby to approach, we can't combo him at all (floaty, super armour jump, and n-air), eggs shrek kirby, we can't edge-guard him, we can't kill him. Definitely 30:70, it's just a bad MU. He also has the best airspeed vs our measly 52nd

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Sorry you're butthurt about Ike being a good character compared to your main.
Just remember where your main was when the game first came out.

Our main just simply isn't as lucky with patches.

@Radical Larry your view on the Link v. Sheik match-up is listed as even. What's your reasoning behind that? Just out of curiosity. I see that you say we can combo her but have you taken into account her neutral vs ours? Her speed and combo capabilities against a heavyweight like Link?

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Lol, Sheik:Link is definitely not even. Like most characters, Sheik is Link's worst matchup by far, then Fox. The rest are not too terrible though, at least nothing past a 40:60 disadvantage (but I guess that's bad in this game).

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Gonna make dis quick cuz I'm using 3G in a different country and it costs a **** ton.

Kirby really struggles hard against imo (in order)::4yoshi::4sonic::4tlink::4peach::rosalina::4shulk::4diddy::4megaman:

:4yoshi::4sonic: self explanatory
:4tlink:Has the ability to make us approach, and to wall is out. Reason we struggle is also because Tink kills us easier, is faster, and is harder to combo too. Worst sword MU imo.

:4peach: Can't combo or edge-guard, she can force us to approach, she nullifies all of our options. I have played one of the best Peaches in Canada in a close set, so I'm not just theory crafting this one.

:rosalina: Self explanatory

:4shulk: Severely outranges us, we can't get in. Monados make it even harder. The only reason this isn't our WORST MU is because monados, but we can barely get a chance to use it let alone get it because his moves have such long range and kirby is too slow to punish.

:4diddy: We get demolished by his really good neutral and air game, our speed makes dealing with banana a pain, his f-air is a nightmare against us. Only good thing in this MU is d-air to beat out up-b, but we don't have the tools to make him use his up-b anyways.

:4megaman: Our game plan turns into duck and corner him, we never get a chance to do anything we're good at. He gets easy kills too, really hard MU.

:4metaknight::4pikachu: are two I didn't mention but are also bad.

:4myfriends:seems bad but he is the easiest character to combo because he literally has no options against us, and he can't force us to approach.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Isn't ZSS Link's worst matchup? If she is, why is she our worst matchup?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4myfriends:seems bad but he is the easiest character to combo because he literally has no options against us, and he can't force us to approach.
I think "literally" is stretching it...~ ;3

Nah but for reals.

Is there any matchup where copying neutral-b makes a big difference? I know Monado makes Shulk a bit more tolerable and needles can be fun with Sheik, but beyond party tricks, is there a matchup that's really salvaged by copy?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Kirby doesn't approach Ike?

Prepare for a long ass game.

That Ike WILL win.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Y'know what, since we're on the hot topic...~

Mario766 Mario766 , tell me what you think of the Pit matchup.

I want to know if Pit stands a chance~ ;3

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
BBR didn't surpass 70 people I believe, so 50 is ok but at the same time dunno cause 37 characters in Brawl to talk about and 50+ (still growing) in Smash 4. More would prolly be needed. I don't think people care too much about how big the number is for when discussing stuff, have enough minds and discussion and it'll be done eventually anyways.
This thread is a good example, almost 350 pages of nonsense talk :^)

The MU chart stuff or even tier lists doesn't go into full detail for every characters match ups too. I remember during the MU chart v3 despite a panel being made for ROB Zelda I believe and multiple other characters I can't remember, 0 discussions happened so the ratio stayed the same or the opinions from the other side just won without any contest.

That all aside, I don't think that's the main issue with holding back on the whole backroom stuff and discussing all this. It's most likely all the updates and the wave of new characters being thrown into this game. Which is fine and all, but having it updated every 2 or 3 months doesn't help since buffs/nerfs happen and all + a new character means 30-50 match ups to discuss (from earlier point, not every discussion will be dissected to the very last cell, or even some character mains just saying put this as X:X knowing it's an easy MU or unbeatable without any discussion needed)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Meta development usually outpaces patches anyway in terms of being accurate with matchups. Patches shouldn't scare you from doing MU analysis, just know that you will be slightly off later in the game's life.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Unknown.

Pit gets his usual string of combos, Ike gets standard combos but Pit/Dark Pit doesn't fall fast enough for later percent combos.

Ike will clear stocks much easier as Pit, but Ike doesn't outrange Pit by much so he doesn't have that advantage. I'd say even due to no one having a clear neutral advantage, both can edgeguard the other and Pit can just stall out Eruption, or just avoid it.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey, at least I put Miis in the "I dunno" category instead of considering it an auto-win =(
forgot to include that sorry
so i went on the site Sinister Slush Sinister Slush posted to see which MU's I feel comfortable talking about.
this is assuming APEX Miis as that is the build I'm most comfortable with
I chose these specific MU's because
a.) I either know the character
b.) play against a friend often enough to understand the MU
c.) I trust a certain person's judgement
Sheik: what happens when you pit a character with plenty of weaknesses but a huge one being lack of early kill confirms vs a character with all sorts of strengths whose ONLY weakness is a lack of early kill? A bad time.
ZSS: this woman is one slippery ash nuke. She can dance around you and punish hard when she can not only that but her advantage state is disgusting. Glad swordfighter can punish her recovery though
Pit/Dork: I trust Wintropy Wintropy 's judgement
Ike: Ike has a lot of painfully huge hitboxes in the air that combo swordfighter gets to combo him a lot back and he is way better on the ground than ike though
Pikachu: has trouble approaching Swordfighter because of the lingering disjointed hitboxes he has but can wreck face once he does. Swordfighter struggles in trying to edgeguard him
Villager: Why won't this brat stop throwing projectiles and die? tfw you call your main a brat
Ryu: I Trust Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
wins
not sure
neutral
:4pit: :4ryu:
loses
:4sheik: :4zss: :4myfriends: :4pikachu:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti , what about Shulk's awful frame data? Shouldn't that also be taken into consideration?
Kirby is too slow to do anything to punish it tho. Monados make it easier but he is one of the only characters who can't lunish Shulk at all.
I think "literally" is stretching it...~ ;3

Nah but for reals.

Is there any matchup where copying neutral-b makes a big difference? I know Monado makes Shulk a bit more tolerable and needles can be fun with Sheik, but beyond party tricks, is there a matchup that's really salvaged by copy?
Villager and Olimar are two on the top of my head. Both are super hard without copy. Villager especially. Bowling ball offstage is SUPER good against Kirby, but with copy they can't (if they do, we get bowling ball and can u-tilt bowling ball for a kill at 40, same with tree) and we can take his side-b which is also amazing. Without pocket it's easily a 65:35 MU but with it the MU becomes 50:50ish.

Kirby doesn't approach Ike?

Prepare for a long *** game.

That Ike WILL win.
I'm not saying Kirby wins but it's not a bad MU.
And here I thought Kirby mains back in the day considered this a good MU for him.
Some still do because we can duck under lemons, but we can't punish them. Duck and corner is like the only thing we can do :(

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Unknown.

Pit gets his usual string of combos, Ike gets standard combos but Pit/Dark Pit doesn't fall fast enough for later percent combos.

Ike will clear stocks much easier as Pit, but Ike doesn't outrange Pit by much so he doesn't have that advantage. I'd say even due to no one having a clear neutral advantage, both can edgeguard the other and Pit can just stall out Eruption, or just avoid it.
Oh, okay. That's better than I was expecting. Ike's a scary character.

That's essentially how I feel about it. Pit gets bodied if he takes too many risks and Ike wins neutral, but if Pit wins neutral, he has good followups and can space Ike well. I'd say it comes down to who can get the best pokes in. I imagine neither side wants to get too hot-headed, just wait it out and see who can get the best opening.

forgot to include that sorry
so i went on the site Sinister Slush Sinister Slush posted to see which MU's I feel comfortable talking about.
this is assuming APEX Miis as that is the build I'm most comfortable with
I chose these specific MU's because
a.) I either know the character
b.) play against a friend often enough to understand the MU
c.) I trust a certain person's judgement
Sheik: what happens when you pit a character with plenty of weaknesses but a huge one being lack of early kill confirms vs a character with all sorts of strengths whose ONLY weakness is a lack of early kill? A bad time.
ZSS: this woman is one slippery ash nuke. She can dance around you and punish hard when she can not only that but her advantage state is disgusting. Glad swordfighter can punish her recovery though
Pit/Dork: I trust Wintropy Wintropy 's judgement
Ike: Ike has a lot of painfully huge hitboxes in the air that combo swordfighter gets to combo him a lot back and he is way better on the ground than ike though
Pikachu: has trouble approaching Swordfighter because of the lingering disjointed hitboxes he has but can wreck face once he does. Swordfighter struggles in trying to edgeguard him
Villager: Why won't this brat stop throwing projectiles and die? tfw you call your main a brat
Ryu: I Trust Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
wins
not sure
neutral
:4pit: :4ryu:
loses
:4sheik: :4zss: :4myfriends: :4pikachu:
Thanks for the shout-out, but bear in mind I don't know much about Swordfighter beyond a few offline matches. I do know that Swordfighter's range is something that Pit needs to watch out for, but otherwise I think it's the same as every other swordie: watch for the disjoints and poke the openings, play the neutral game and take every chance you get to punish (especially with grab, I love getting Swordfighter into the air and watching them try to get back).

Basically Ike, but trading the scary advantage for a more versatile kit (projectiles and stuff). Pit doesn't have difficulty with swordies, per se, but he has to respect their spacing options and wait for them to commit before he punishes. If he gets too risky, he will get punished in return. Pit / swordie matchups tend to be very fun, it becomes a beautiful bladed dance to see who can win neutral and poke holes in the other guy's defenses~

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah, I just don't see the productive value in comparing a small subset of moves between each character. It's interesting food-for-thought but when you're trying to see the merit of a character you look at ALL of their moves, not just their tilts. Ganondorf's utilt may be largely situational but usmash and uair pick up the slack as anti-airs.
In a vacuum, any move can be good or bad. Now, how they fit together with the character is what matters. It's why something like Peach's Fair when you think about it isn't really a good move. With Float, with her attributes, and with who and what Peach is, it's a really good move. Likewise, Sheik's Fair is considered a good move, but on someone else like say, Fox, it wouldn't be a great move. Fox would lose the ability to semi-spike for gimps and setups, he would lose about 3% to 4% with Sheik's Fair, and he might not be able to carry people off stage or even on stage - this is very debatable due to his high running speed - due to his below-average air speed and much higher fall speed.

This is why someone like Zelda suffers when not only are her moves bad, they also don't work together well with Zelda. The sad part is that Zelda has probably one of the better Dtilts - she was cr. LKing way before Ryu was ever in Smash -, Nairs - used to be much better than Falco's, but is kind of overshadowed by it now -, and probably the safest Dair spike because it only spikes and does not have a "normal" hit like Captain Falcon, Falco, or Ike. In contrast, someone like Samus might have "bad" moves, but her moves work together very well despite some dysfunctional things like Up Smash's hit angle shenanigans. That's good and definitely much better than having bad moves and bad synergy

There's another scenario where a character has good moves, but some of them overshadow the rest of their moves. Captain Falcon, pre-patch 1.0.6 Diddy, and Luigi come to mind where they have about 3 to 5 phenomenal moves and the rest are good to average. That can kill them, especially in the eyes of the audience who feel like all they're doing is spamming and that they're brain-dead. Captain Falcon's jab for instance is so good there's almost little it can't do while the rest of his normals end up being overshadowed or become very situational since jab overtakes them. In other cases, some moves are good, but because of silly things like the horizontal disjoint on Up Smash. The fact his Up Smash is just as slow, but takes much more time to recover and is, therefore, less safer than Ganondorf's is an issue I want addressed. A faster and if it has to be, a weaker, but much more easier to anti-air - through partial invincibility or sheer speed - Up Smash for Captain Falcon would do wonders to improve his Up Smash as a worthwhile option and as a more proper move instead of having a disjoint to cover up the fact it's slow, it doesn't have much range outside of vertical, and even then, because it's slow, anti-airing with it isn't exactly ideal. It's sad because you can look at frame data or just feel it out for yourself and start wondering why Diddy players didn't use Bair more, why Luigi players didn't use Up Smash to anti-air more or just abuse Down Smash's short recovery, or why Captain Falcon's Dtilt isn't being used when its hit angle is amazing.

The best scenario is someone like Fox, Falco, post-patch Diddy, Marth?, Ryu, and Mario who all have good moves, but none of them are borderline game-breaking or too good and overshadowing the rest of their moveset. Sure, their Specials might not all be good, but Specials themselves are, well, special; they're supposed to be situational or focused on few things while normals can overlap or work together much more easily. This is the ideal situation for all characters in all settings, 1v1, 2v2, 3v1, FFA, etc., where all moves work wherever and whenever without being stupid or bad wherever and whenever. It's also pleasing to both the audience and player as the audience gets to see tons of moves being used and the player has so many options you will have to guess what they will do next. This is why characters like Fox, Falco, and Ryu are so dangerous as they pretty much have an answer for everything from purposely tapping you to demoralize you to instantly killing you. I love it when Fox players use Blaster pointblank after an expected Fair or Bair D-throw followup.

Well as long as Fox doesn't hit Puberty II (or Puberty I as the case may be given his voice), then we don't have to worry about any sudden growth spurts changing his neutral game. I mean, I think it's clear that limb length is intentionally one of Falco's features meant to set him apart from Fox It's also significant that Foxes don't think they necessarily win the footsies game against Falco.
According to Star Fox: Assault, Fox is supposed to be the about height as (ret-conned) Little Mac at 5'8" or 1.73m while Falco is supposed to be 6'2" or 1.88m. If we follow Assault, Falco's supposed to be taller than Solid Snake by 4 inches or 6cm as Solid Snake based on his MGS1 height is only 5'10" or 1.82m. If you pull up any video with Snake vs. Falco, Falco's standing on his tiptoes and barely as tall as Snake who's slouching. Again, if we follow Assault and assume Samus is based on her not-Other M height of 6'3" or 1.9m, Falco's supposed to be about as tall as her, but he's not; he's shorter than the Pits who are apparently supposed to be 5'3" or 1.60m and Palutena who is supposed to be the same height as Fox and Little Mac according to this height chart assuming the numbers are centimeters. In other words, character height in Smash is BS except to show that yes, Luigi is taller than Mario or other simple things than actual lore. Also, Tuen's Smash 4 height chart: smashboards.com/threads/character-height-a-rough-start.402759/.

If Falco was indeed as tall as Samus, he would be stupid when it comes to footsies and he's already stupid with footsies. Also, I'm pretty damn sure pheasants are smaller than foxes... Falco should be like Peppy's height at the most which incidentally, Peppy's also the same height as Fox. Fan-freaking-tastic...

I'm not saying Samus' dtilt is better than Falco's, but that Falco's doesn't outclass it because they work differently and are used for completely different purposes. Ike's dtilt is definitely closer, but still a different move. Due to the higher damage, if Samus' dtilt lag was reduced by say, 10 frames (from 31 to 21), it'd become unpunishable and would no doubt be one of the best if not the best dtilt in the game. Same thing if it killed but remained unsafe, and if it did both, it'd be approaching Brawl Snake's utilt levels of overpowered. Right now I think it still stands as a good dtilt, coming out on frame 6 with plenty of disjointed range and doing 12% with "only" medium cooldown. None of Samus' tilts are amazing but they're all good, and few characters have that (Falco is another one who does who I overlooked originally).
Neither am I. There's a reason why I went into detail on how Falco's Dtilt works. As said before, moves can be good and bad depending on how they're viewed. It's difficult to compare moves even when they're almost the same. Case in point: Mario vs. Dr. Mario's moves. You can argue who has the better moves, but how they use their moves could change everything. Unless a move is just strictly worse like Fire Bird is to Fire Fox or a character was intentionally designed to be a much weaker and pathetic version of a character, you can't even say Lucina strictly has much worse moves than Marth. Part of it is true, but part of it isn't. This is also a reason why I don't like it when people say things like Falco is a worse Fox, Roy is a better Marth, Shulk is an inconsistent Ike, or Greninja is a poor fellow's Sheik. It gets worse when it's dumb comparisons like Bowser is a worse Toon Link. Never heard of it here, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone believed that.

The reason why I suggested that Samus's Dtilt have lower recovery or kill much sooner is that you kind of expect a 12% explosion to kill - freaking thin pheasant tail feathers - and with how advanced Samus's gear is, you don't expect it be "pathetically weak" and have a lot of recoil which it doesn't, but it takes a while before Samus recovers compared to the Falco, Ike, and Shulk. The other reason is "Screw it, why not?" With all the complaints some Samus players are spouting, it's getting annoying, so let's give them a treat... Also, I don't remember what the formula is for the current shield stun and I'm feeling lazy, so I don't want to figure out its on-hit frame advantages at 0%, 50%, and 100%. Samus does have some under-tuned moves like Down Smash, but really good moves like Uair when it connects fully, Bair, or Screw Attack. My problem is that logic makes me question things a lot which is why I would advocate for Falco having a much weaker Dtilt because of logic and why I would advocate for Samus having a much stronger Dtilt because of logic. Ike's Dtilt being weak at least be justified because I don't think you can have much leverage swinging it like that and Shulk's being slightly slower makes sense since he has to "unsheathe" the Monado before swinging. At the same time, it's a freaking laser sword. It should be hacking off and cauterizing your legs.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
On the topic of Mewtwo:

I don't get why Mewtwo's U-air seems to have such little knockback when it does 11% damage.

You'd think that if it's knockback is going to be meh it'd have better endlag so it could be chained like Mario's Uair or something but it doesn't.

That odd factor alone makes it pretty mediocre IMO, because sure you can get it true off D-tilt until decently mid-late percent but it won't kill so IMO it's meh, I also take issue with his Bair having a base sweetspot instead of a tail sweetspot, but that's just me.

They're things that hold him back on top of the major factors that hold him back already IMO.

And don't get me started on Confusion's Command Grab not having hitstun, that makes me rage.

/ramblingsofamewtwofanboy
Mewtwo's U-air actually have 3 hitboxes. The tip which deals 7% damage, the outer part of the tail which deals 9% and then the base of the tail which deals 11% damge.

It's true that it won't KO in itself, but Dtilt > Tipper/Sourspot U-air > Fair is a true combo against many characters on KO percents so the low knockback can a be quite useful:

Example of how it can look (here i also use a Uair to start the combo):

I think the main drawback of Mewtwos Bair and Uair is the weird hitbox placings which doesn't match the animations very well (for example a shorthopped Bair won't hit a grounded opponent) but they are not too bad once you learn where the hitboxes are placed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom