• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I very much disagree with Shulk being a bad matchup. Yes, he outranges us, but dude lags for years. That's not even taking into account how the older Inhale buffs make getting the Arts really easy. Even MU, IMO.

Speed punishes everything Shulk does ever. Buster is... just... it's Buster.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Gonna make dis quick cuz I'm using 3G in a different country and it costs a **** ton.

Kirby really struggles hard against imo (in order)::4yoshi::4sonic::4tlink::4peach::rosalina::4shulk::4diddy::4megaman:

:4yoshi::4sonic: self explanatory
:4tlink:Has the ability to make us approach, and to wall is out. Reason we struggle is also because Tink kills us easier, is faster, and is harder to combo too. Worst sword MU imo.

:4peach: Can't combo or edge-guard, she can force us to approach, she nullifies all of our options. I have played one of the best Peaches in Canada in a close set, so I'm not just theory crafting this one.

:rosalina: Self explanatory

:4shulk: Severely outranges us, we can't get in. Monados make it even harder. The only reason this isn't our WORST MU is because monados, but we can barely get a chance to use it let alone get it because his moves have such long range and kirby is too slow to punish.

:4diddy: We get demolished by his really good neutral and air game, our speed makes dealing with banana a pain, his f-air is a nightmare against us. Only good thing in this MU is d-air to beat out up-b, but we don't have the tools to make him use his up-b anyways.

:4megaman: Our game plan turns into duck and corner him, we never get a chance to do anything we're good at. He gets easy kills too, really hard MU.

:4metaknight::4pikachu: are two I didn't mention but are also bad.

:4myfriends:seems bad but he is the easiest character to combo because he literally has no options against us, and he can't force us to approach.
Shulk I'd honestly say is in our favor or even, we can get combos on him due to his frame data and we can use the monados.

I'd say Link is worse than Toon Link, but they're really close so whatever.

Mega Man is bad but not worse than 45:55 since we can use Metal Blade and we have a good advantage when both Mega Man and Kirby are in the air.

Peach I don't think is the 4th worst, but eh IDC since it makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, what would you say are the matchup ratios for each character you mention?

IMO, I think our top 8 worst matchups are :4yoshi::4sonic::4metaknight::4pikachu::4myfriends::4feroy::4link::4marth:, With :4lucina: and :rosalina:around the same range

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Swordfighter better than Ike on the ground?

I don't see it.
The Mii has a far more useful sets of tilts and thus a far better options out of a walk, a better dash attack, and an F-smash that counts as a yolo attack that extends past Ike's Grounded Range

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
User was warned for this post
So, Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti , do you think Kirby is really near the bottom of the lists? Are there any MUs you think he wins? If so, why?
I can say he's definitely bottom 20, but I can't say if he is low-mid or low tier because everyone's perception on that is different. Robin, Wii Fit, and Mac seem to be winning MUs in my opinion.

Robin because he is slower than us, we can avoid his neutral-b, combo him and it's hard for him to do anything about it, fire is easy to avoid (light, floaty, smash DI), and we can gimp him super easy. Also we get a really good projectile with inhale.

Wii Fit still gets crippled by duck, but apart from that, she has trouble hitting us due to her size, inhale forces her to approach while giving us a really good tool in neutral, and she's ez offstage.

Mac is self explanatory.

In the future, I can see Fox becoming s really good match-up. Theoretically, we have a 0-100% off of a single u-tilt frame trap (U-tilts, u-air fastfall and more u-tilts. If there is a frame trap you can get Fox to 45% you can sourspot u-tilt to d-air true combo, repeat that, grab pummel d-throw). MikeKirby showed this off against LarryLurr but didn't go for a 2nd sour u-tilt to d-air but instead went right for the grab and got 74%. We also can gimp him rarely easily. As of now though, 50:50/ a 45:55 in Fox's favour is where it's at.

And contrary to popular belief Kirby does not beat Falcon, it's even at best.

Shulk I'd honestly say is in our favor or even, we can get combos on him due to his frame data and we can use the monados.

I'd say Link is worse than Toon Link, but they're really close so whatever.

Mega Man is bad but not worse than 45:55 since we can use Metal Blade and we have a good advantage when both Mega Man and Kirby are in the air.

Peach I don't think is the 4th worst, but eh IDC since it makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, what would you say are the matchup ratios for each character you mention?

IMO, I think our top 8 worst matchups are :4yoshi::4sonic::4metaknight::4pikachu::4myfriends::4feroy::4link::4marth:, With :4lucina: and :rosalina:around the same range
:4yoshi: 30:70
:4sonic: 35:65/30:70
:4tlink:35:65
:4peach:35:65
:rosalina:35:65
:4shulk:35:65/40:60 (Our speed and range make his moves nearly unpublishable sometimes, monados help but getting the inhale is also hard)
:4diddy: 35:65/40:60
:4megaman: 35:65/40:60

Ike doesn't have very many options against us once we get da comboz, and he doesn't really force us to approach. Most of Kirby's bad MUs involve being forced to approach (except Rosa, but she's a bad MU for a lot of other reasons too). That's why Roy isn't that bad too. Link is harder to approach than stink (mistake but not changing) but we have a better advantage state against Link. Tink has an easier time resetting neitral if we can finally get in.

Marcina is debatable, we definitely lose (not theorycraft, had close set with one of the best Marth's on anthers) and we definitely struggle. Thing with Marth is that he is easier to approach than shulk. I think Robin is the only sword character Kirby beats imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Mewtwo's U-air actually have 3 hitboxes. The tip which deals 7% damage, the outer part of the tail which deals 9% and then the base of the tail which deals 11% damge.

It's true that it won't KO in itself, but Dtilt > Tipper/Sourspot U-air > Fair is a true combo against many characters on KO percents so the low knockback can a be quite useful:

Example of how it can look (here i also use a Uair to start the combo):

I think the main drawback of Mewtwos Bair and Uair is the weird hitbox placings which doesn't match the animations very well (for example a shorthopped Bair won't hit a grounded opponent) but they are not too bad once you learn where the hitboxes are placed.
Eh, since you're here. Can't Mewtwo's Utilt setup an Up Smash on fast fallers like what happened here: https://youtu.be/Dmiz9cSgsfU?t=207?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Quick thoughts on bottom 15 right now maybe to stir something up (I think this is what would be D tier):

:4falco: :4kirby: :4dedede: :4samus: :4marth: :4bowser: :4shulk: :4lucina: :4charizard: :4mewtwo: :4littlemac: :4palutena: :4zelda: :4ganondorf: :4jigglypuff:

Mewtwo and Mac both have some powerful things going for them and then they die. Jigglypuff also dies, but has much less going for her in terms of neutral and advantage. Ganondorf's 2x higher reward doesn't matter when he can't get in and is so slow as well as easy to hit, an absolute noobslayer character though so may still have skewed opinions. Might prove to be worse than Jigglypuff eventually. Palutena has a pretty good neutral because of her mobility, dash attack and aerials but she also has terrible CQC, fairly useless specials and tilts, as well as slow and punishable smashes. No reliable way to get kills and she's tall and light, definitely mid tier with customs due to superspeed and the dthrow uair combo she gets. Zelda also has a bunch of dysfunctional attacks that don't have much utility, and while she can close off stocks better than Palutena her neutral is way worse due to her fair, bair and poor overall mobility. Tall and dies early as well.

This is where my confidence drops a little bit, Charizard has good OoS options in up b and up smash (very powerful but not super fast) and a kill throw, but his aerial mobility is pretty terrible and while he has a couple decent autocancels and two mid-air jumps he can't land with anything that wouldn't be risky. Pretty much the same with Bowser except his OoS and landing options seem a bit weaker and his kill potential and damage is greater, in particular he has great tilts and a command grab. Shulk has terrible frame data but quite a lot of safety, yet it doesn't ultimately matter when he can't keep people off of himself and Monado Arts tend to have just as much drawbacks as benefits. Gimpable recovery and struggles to kill. Marth is better than Lucina by a couple spots mainly because of the clutch factor of fsmash. Both characters are a lot better after the last few patches, but still I can't see how either of them kill reliably. Neither gets anything directly off of their very low damage throws either.

Falco, Kirby, Dedede and Samus I think all have something going for them that more or less separates them from the rest. Falco and Kirby have great CQC, just struggle moving around due to their slowness and effectively lack a projectile. Kirby also benefits from his size. Dedede, in the context of being a superheavy, is special for his multiple jumps, disjoints and a lagless aerial in nair making landings relatively easy, as well as a projectile (slow gordo is definitely not useless). Pretty good recovery as well, and survives forever. Samus has 40+% combos out of dash attack with her great aerials and also gets a lot of mileage off of zair, max range ftilt and CS. As such she has a great midrange game and also decent CQC options despite her bad grab with her fast and safe jab 1, dtilt and up b. Good survivability as well, and I think the only things that really keep her down are her trouble resetting to neutral and dealing with pressure because of her slow and punishable grab, floatiness and height. "Decent CQC" also isn't good enough vs heavy, constant rushdown, although on the other hand you can't hope to just outspace Samus and keep her out and win. The most underrated low tier in my opinion because too often she's placed dead last or bottom 3, and there's a ton of misconception about her attacks being bad when they're actually really good (like fsmash and dash attack).

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Eh, since you're here. Can't Mewtwo's Utilt setup an Up Smash on fast fallers like what happened here: https://youtu.be/Dmiz9cSgsfU?t=207?
Yeah weak Utilt > Usmash is a pretty good KO setup for Mewtwo that true combos from about 75% to 135% (On Mario, the percentage where it trues is a bit different for everyone) and works on all characters and not just fastfallers.

The difficult part is mostly hitting with the close weak part of Utilt (Utilt also has 3 different hitboxes) but Jab > Weak U-tilt is a setup that seems hard to escape for many characters (looking into it now) so this is quite a good way to get the KO as Mewtwo imo.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
The Mii has a far more useful sets of tilts and thus a far better options out of a walk, a better dash attack, and an F-smash that counts as a yolo attack that extends past Ike's Grounded Range
I would also add Swordfighter's better off-stage edgeguarding. Unlike Ike Swordfighter is able to go for deep when edgeguarding. His Dair is a thing of nightmares along with his Fair. He also has access to projectiles (dat Tornado and Chakram). There is a reason why most of Swordfighter's KOs happen off-stage. But then again Ike can edgeguard Wario who is one of the hardest guys to edgeguard do to his bike. Overall I would say Swordfighter has better overall edgeguarding game than Ike.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
User was warned for this post
Nah, nair, fair and bair I believe all were safe before the shieldstun changes.
Why before?

Lol, Sheik:Link is definitely not even. Like most characters, Sheik is Link's worst matchup by far, then Fox. The rest are not too terrible though, at least nothing past a 40:60 disadvantage (but I guess that's bad in this game).
Why would he even say that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
She also has terrible CQC, fairly useless specials and tilts
Disputed. Jab is a good spotdodge / roll punish and confirms into grab, f-tilt and d-tilt much the same, d-tilt being the fastest of her tilts and a good setup for air followups (n-air and f-air). Shorthop n-air, f-air and RAR b-air are basically CQC options. Not great by any means, but definitely not terrible or useless, fairly or otherwise.

The only special that I'd say is useless is Counter. The rest have their uses, even if they're quite niche: Autoreticle is a decent zoning weapon at mid-range, Reflect is useful for projectile-heavy characters (but is otherwise pretty much useless) and Warp is a reasonably potent, intangible recovery. Still not great, but still not useless.

Definitely mid tier with customs due to superspeed and the dthrow uair combo she gets
To be fair, d-throw -> u-air exists even in default, it's just infinitely easier to get with Lightweight. You really need to read your opponent's DI to connect in default, not factoring in damage and rage.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Quick thoughts on bottom 15 right now maybe to stir something up (I think this is what would be D tier):

:4falco: :4kirby: :4dedede: :4samus: :4marth: :4bowser: :4shulk: :4lucina: :4charizard: :4mewtwo: :4littlemac: :4palutena: :4zelda: :4ganondorf: :4jigglypuff:

Mewtwo and Mac both have some powerful things going for them and then they die. Jigglypuff also dies, but has much less going for her in terms of neutral and advantage. Ganondorf's 2x higher reward doesn't matter when he can't get in and is so slow as well as easy to hit, an absolute noobslayer character though so may still have skewed opinions. Might prove to be worse than Jigglypuff eventually. Palutena has a pretty good neutral because of her mobility, dash attack and aerials but she also has terrible CQC, fairly useless specials and tilts, as well as slow and punishable smashes. No reliable way to get kills and she's tall and light, definitely mid tier with customs due to superspeed and the dthrow uair combo she gets. Zelda also has a bunch of dysfunctional attacks that don't have much utility, and while she can close off stocks better than Palutena her neutral is way worse due to her fair, bair and poor overall mobility. Tall and dies early as well.

This is where my confidence drops a little bit, Charizard has good OoS options in up b and up smash (very powerful but not super fast) and a kill throw, but his aerial mobility is pretty terrible and while he has a couple decent autocancels and two mid-air jumps he can't land with anything that wouldn't be risky. Pretty much the same with Bowser except his OoS and landing options seem a bit weaker and his kill potential and damage is greater, in particular he has great tilts and a command grab. Shulk has terrible frame data but quite a lot of safety, yet it doesn't ultimately matter when he can't keep people off of himself and Monado Arts tend to have just as much drawbacks as benefits. Gimpable recovery and struggles to kill. Marth is better than Lucina by a couple spots mainly because of the clutch factor of fsmash. Both characters are a lot better after the last few patches, but still I can't see how either of them kill reliably. Neither gets anything directly off of their very low damage throws either.

Falco, Kirby, Dedede and Samus I think all have something going for them that more or less separates them from the rest. Falco and Kirby have great CQC, just struggle moving around due to their slowness and effectively lack a projectile. Kirby also benefits from his size. Dedede, in the context of being a superheavy, is special for his multiple jumps, disjoints and a lagless aerial in nair making landings relatively easy, as well as a projectile (slow gordo is definitely not useless). Pretty good recovery as well, and survives forever. Samus has 40+% combos out of dash attack with her great aerials and also gets a lot of mileage off of zair, max range ftilt and CS. As such she has a great midrange game and also decent CQC options despite her bad grab with her fast and safe jab 1, dtilt and up b. Good survivability as well, and I think the only things that really keep her down are her trouble resetting to neutral and dealing with pressure because of her slow and punishable grab, floatiness and height. "Decent CQC" also isn't good enough vs heavy, constant rushdown, although on the other hand you can't hope to just outspace Samus and keep her out and win. The most underrated low tier in my opinion because too often she's placed dead last or bottom 3, and there's a ton of misconception about her attacks being bad when they're actually really good (like fsmash and dash attack).
Um, what? Bowser better than Shulk? Marth and Lucina? Miis nowhere to be found? At least you have Zelda as the not worst character and Dedede as the second best super heavyweight, those are accurate.

Might explain my reasoning later. I've got some homework to do, plus I'm on a phone that doesn't show my comment when I'm typing it.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I think you don't know Ike. His F-Tilt, Up Tilt and Down Tilt are all very useful. Ike doesn't need walk options, as his walk speed is...well

No comment.

Ike's dash attack isn't meant for neutral anyways, it kills you at 80 for making a mistake instead. Ike has a frame 4 jab, which is 2 frames faster than Swordfighter's, and may as well be disjointed. Ike also gets a then frame 3 Jab 2, which is BASICALLY sword range, as Ike kicks like a truck. We don't need walk options, Ike gets 20-30 going up to 40 damage with optimization from a +0 on shield N-Air, D-Tilt which gives a free F-AIr/B-Air, massive edgeguarding and other things.

You can't really compare the two chracters on the ground, they do different things.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Ganon's not a good character, but I simply can't see him as bottom 15, much less 2nd worst. While all of Ganon's approaches are committal and he will be punished for them, unlike Brawl they actually function as approaches now. Dash Attack is god tier, he has decent aerial approaches, and Flame Choke's mixup ability makes it far better than it may seem. He has enough safe moves to throw out (SH B-air, U-smash, Spaced D-tilt, SHFF F-air to a lesser extent) that he can get an idea of his opponents reactions without getting bopped. I'd describe his neutral as mediocre rather than godawful.

Blah blah reward blah blah kill moves blah blah comeback factor we've all heard that before, but the thing is, because of how much reward he gets on hit Ganon really can afford to have commital, punishable approaches. He only needs to win neutral once for every five+ times his opponent wins it.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Shulk should have chose a different sword to work with. Or at least work out a bit before handling the thing. Ike was the only smart swordsman in that case. Even Link has trouble with his and he's been using that sword since 1991.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I very much disagree with Shulk being a bad matchup. Yes, he outranges us, but dude lags for years. That's not even taking into account how the older Inhale buffs make getting the Arts really easy. Even MU, IMO.

Speed punishes everything Shulk does ever. Buster is... just... it's Buster.
Maybe you're right. Hes a character that I personally struggle against, so idk.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
He only needs to win neutral once for every five+ times his opponent wins it.
That's the thing. Against the best characters (and even some mid tiers), it's not easy at all to win neutral as Ganon. Between his bad (though not too bad considering his power) frame data, terrible mobility, and terrible grab, many characters can overwhelm him up close and far away. Ganon's best game is in midrange, and if you don't give him the opportunity to play that game, he's as good as dead.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah weak Utilt > Usmash is a pretty good KO setup for Mewtwo that true combos from about 75% to 135% (On Mario, the percentage where it trues is a bit different for everyone) and works on all characters and not just fastfallers.

The difficult part is mostly hitting with the close weak part of Utilt (Utilt also has 3 different hitboxes) but Jab > Weak U-tilt is a setup that seems hard to escape for many characters (looking into it now) so this is quite a good way to get the KO as Mewtwo imo.
Or, if Mewtwo is feeling creative...

Yay footstools

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike doesn't think when he uses the sword, he just brute strengths it. It's what you get for choosing a Greatsword but be able to wield it with 1 hand.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
many characters can overwhelm him up close and far away.
How does a character "overwhelm" Ganon from far away? It's true that there's projectiles sure, but 99% of projectiles simply don't exert that kind of pressure. This isn't Brawl Ganon. He does not suffer from being forced to approach.

With that said bad CQC is an actual flaw Ganon has.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I think the main drawback of Mewtwos Bair and Uair is the weird hitbox placings which doesn't match the animations very well (for example a shorthopped Bair won't hit a grounded opponent) but they are not too bad once you learn where the hitboxes are placed.
And thus the problem with Mewtwo. I won't expect Nintendo to increase his weight (which they should), but they really need to fix the hitboxes for them to match AT LEAST, if any buff at all. In fact, is this even a buff? More like a bug fix to me.

D tier implies that these characters are unusable in tournament, which I think isn't the case for :4charizard::4marth::4kirby::4falco:
Bad landing options and air speed Isn't a good enough reason for me to say Zard is bad for competitive play. I think the other 3 could be used in tournament if you have a secondary to cover some bad matchups. I think the others have too many bad matchups to win many matches, unless your straight up better than the opponent.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Can someone remind me as to why Dedede is considered anything but bottom 5?
For Glory.

Ganon's not a good character, but I simply can't see him as bottom 15, much less 2nd worst. While all of Ganon's approaches are committal and he will be punished for them, unlike Brawl they actually function as approaches now. Dash Attack is god tier, he has decent aerial approaches, and Flame Choke's mixup ability makes it far better than it may seem. He has enough safe moves to throw out (SH B-air, U-smash, Spaced D-tilt, SHFF F-air to a lesser extent) that he can get an idea of his opponents reactions without getting bopped. I'd describe his neutral as mediocre rather than godawful.

Blah blah reward blah blah kill moves blah blah comeback factor we've all heard that before, but the thing is, because of how much reward he gets on hit Ganon really can afford to have commital, punishable approaches. He only needs to win neutral once for every five+ times his opponent wins it.
I get that this probably wasn't meant to be taken literally but Ganon has to win neutral more than that. He probably has to win neutral 5 or 6 times to take a stock (I don't buy this "win neutral twice and you've won" crap for any character except ZSS and maybe high Aura Lucario but probably not), the good characters don't need to win neutral 20+ times to end Ganon, hell even the bad characters probably don't.

I don't think Ganon is that bad, you touched on most of the stuff I think is good about his neutral. However, I couldn't name 15 characters who are worse than him. I mean, if we're looking at Falco as a possible bottom 15 (not even entertaining the idea that Marcina are bottom 15, I don't know what they were doing in that list) Ganon's got a lot of competition.

Bear in mind being bottom 15 doesn't make you auto-trash in this game. We're looking at Zelda as the probable worst character in the game and she has a nigh-ungimpable recovery, one of the best reflectors/panic buttons in the game and cheesy moves that can kill at 60 if you're unlucky (Fair/Bair) or she gets a read (Up B). Other contenders like Jigglypuff have plenty of strengths as well. Being "bottom 15" doesn't mean that much IMO, once again it's the issue of people slapping numbers on things. Once you're in the bottom ~1/3rd of the cast there's much of a muchness about the characters.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Can someone remind me as to why Dedede is considered anything but bottom 5?
Maybe because DDD becomes a completly different character when DDD is in a lead? Just watch as this slow combo food with a meh neutral transforms into a big wall with meaty disjoints who just refuses to die and slowly builds up his rage. His entire gameplan changes dramatically. Nobody wants to be in a stock deficit against DDD, not even Shiek. Of course getting that lead is a different story and we see a very sad penguin in any other situation:(.

His grab is also huge and he has nice reward out of grab and Nair. Of course still a bad character and ironically has a lot of trouble killing consistently but there are reasons why he is not considered straight up garbage.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

Ganon has some extremely significant issues that prevent him from being anything but a bottom 5 character. His disadvantageous state is easily the worst in the game due to his horrendous recovery, large stature (making him easy to hit w/ attacks) and being a fast faller, meaning Ganon can't afford to lose neutral exchanges. Unfortunately, Ganon's neutral is pretty bad as well since his large hurtbox makes him vulnerable to attacks that wouldn't hit other characters (ZSS's SH uair for example) he's extremely slow, his frame data is poor on most attacks, and his grab, which is short ranged with a noticeable amount of startup and endlag making ganon unable to deal with shields.

I honestly cannot think of a character Ganondorf beats aside from Jigglypuff and maybe kirby just because of these issues. His recovery alone makes many matchups difficult since the opponent can gimp him easily with very safe moves.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Trifroze Trifroze Why is :4drmario: not on this list? :4duckhunt:, :4bowserjr: ,:4miisword: and :4miigun: being missing on this list is also really weird. Did you forget about them, or is there an explanation?

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
*When spaced properly.

Buster's always made things more safe but now it's even more so.
I'd like to think that proper spacing isn't something that ever needs to be mentioned separately, but I understand there are a lot of different dimensions to safety. However if a move has enough range to abuse shield drop lag then, to me personally, it's self-explanatory that when we talk about the safety of that move we take that range into account.

Um, what? Bowser better than Shulk? Marth and Lucina? Miis nowhere to be found? At least you have Zelda as the not worst character and Dedede as the second best super heavyweight, those are accurate.

Might explain my reasoning later. I've got some homework to do, plus I'm on a phone that doesn't show my comment when I'm typing it.
Miis unfortunately are a joke when judging characters as long as our community can't decide what versions of them we will or won't allow to be used in tournaments. As such I personally exclude them from any lists I make. As for your other points I can't really answer anything before you explain yourself, but there's nothing to suggest that Marth or Lucina, despite having some good tools, have more going for them than the ones above. Same for Shulk, whereas Bowser's up there because he not only has a decent neutral, but also two "kill throws" and good kill potential altogether. I think the lack of reliability killing is a major weakness in this game, and only characters who have a ton of other strengths can truly deal with it (even Yoshi and Pikachu struggle). The lack of grab reward is another major weakness a character can have, and Marth, Lucina and Shulk posses both of those weaknesses. Smash dthrow for Shulk isn't in my opinion enough, because Smash anything kills and activating it is usually a huge risk.

Disputed. Jab is a good spotdodge / roll punish and confirms into grab, f-tilt and d-tilt much the same, d-tilt being the fastest of her tilts and a good setup for air followups (n-air and f-air). Shorthop n-air, f-air and RAR b-air are basically CQC options. Not great by any means, but definitely not terrible or useless, fairly or otherwise.

The only special that I'd say is useless is Counter. The rest have their uses, even if they're quite niche: Autoreticle is a decent zoning weapon at mid-range, Reflect is useful for projectile-heavy characters (but is otherwise pretty much useless) and Warp is a reasonably potent, intangible recovery. Still not great, but still not useless.
At this point I realize Palutena's jab is f7 and not f8 the latter of which is how I remembered it. Not a huge difference though as it still means her fastest normal is no faster than her grab, and that's the main issue I was onto. Her CQC is basically jab, it has a lot of utility when you have the time to use it. Her aerials aren't any better in this regard, in fact they're all considerably slower because of jump squat, the only advantage is that you can use them out of shield. Still, fair, nair and bair all miss / don't work properly on grounded characters who aren't particularly tall.

Counters and reflectors, especially when they're sub par, aren't particularly useful despite having niches (reflectors more so like you said). Counters are, in almost every case, a worse option than powershielding and punishing with something else unless you're in the air, your counter is very strong or you're certain that the opponent will challenge you, and the latter isn't going to happen in a tournament setting most of the time. Reflectors are a 100% useless in most matchups and serve a niche in some others, which I don't think warrants a move status anything higher than "fairly useless". I disagree about autorectile as well, it's decently safe after hitting but the startup is very long, so unless you use it from around max range the opponent can punish you on reaction before anything happens or at the very least shield it right in front of you and then go for the punish.

Her dtilt is safer than I recalled, but it definitely doesn't set up into anything. Utilt and ftilt seem to have very little utility to me, anti-air and punish maybe?

To be fair, d-throw -> u-air exists even in default, it's just infinitely easier to get with Lightweight. You really need to read your opponent's DI to connect in default, not factoring in damage and rage.
It does work on a few characters, but the large majority can avoid it by DI'ing away and there's never any reason they shouldn't if they're at kill percents. The biggest reason it's so good with lightweight (in addition to the fact that it works on everyone) is that Palutena jumps so high while uairing them they die pretty much 30% earlier.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
There's been a lot of "X loses to Y" "no he doesn't" over the last few pages so I just wanna chip in on the more controversial ones that I actually know something about.

:4rob: vs :4myfriends: is definitely in Ike's favour, he can actually manipulate space better than ROB does well and he can do more with the Gyro than ROB can. Plus he hits like a truck, and he might be one of the characters who has an easier time messing with ROB's recovery.

:4rob: vs :4pacman: is not good for ROB.

:4rob: vs :4metaknight: is really quite terrible for ROB if the MK understands the matchup (ie. play safe, passively, try to stay in that mid-range area which makes ROB's projectiles too much of a commitment, if you get an opportunity you take that dash grab/attack).

:4rob: vs :4ness: is similarly quite terrible for ROB because he cannot land at all. People love to point this out when discussing ZSS or Mac but they seem to forget it in this matchup.

:4diddy: vs :4pacman: is not particularly good for Diddy either, it's probably not quite Pac's favour but it's certainly not outrageous to think it might be.

Also, reminder that you don't need to respond to Link or Kirby mains who say they go even with Sheik.

~~~

My bottom 15 is very similar to Trifroze's, except I have Marth, Lucina, Palutena and Kirby (he was 16th from the bottom) out and Bowjow, DHD, Swordfighter and Link in. I have a lot of faith in the low tiers of this game, I enjoy playing them and I think they can get results but they're still pretty bad comparatively. Characters like Falco are functional but bad, while more dysfunctional characters like Palutena honestly have the tools and results to show that they don't quite belong in bottom tier.

For the first time in this game's lifespan I think there's a very clear top 10 characters, which is as good a cutoff as any to call "Top Tier" (poor MK mains just missing out). I'd be interested in seeing if people actually agree with me on this one, either in terms of who the best 10 characters are (I'm pretty comfortable with this one) or whether the "Top Tier" would be larger or smaller than this. In no particular order (although an aesthetically pleasing colour scheme):

:4sonic::4pikachu::4zss::rosalina::4sheik::4fox::4ryu::4diddy::4mario::4ness:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Say what you will about Dedede, but I can say from exprience that if you don't know the matchup or if you are impatient, you will get wrecked.
You really have to be familiar with his frame data. It's probably just me, but I fought a good Dedede yesterday and his Dsmash has deciptively low endlag, and his dtilt covers him very well (akin to MK's Fsmash bait).
Also, if you don't fear Dedede's Uair, you have no fear.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I get that this probably wasn't meant to be taken literally but Ganon has to win neutral more than that. He probably has to win neutral 5 or 6 times to take a stock (I don't buy this "win neutral twice and you've won" crap for any character except ZSS and maybe high Aura Lucario but probably not), the good characters don't need to win neutral 20+ times to end Ganon, hell even the bad characters probably don't.
That's not what I meant at all. Ganon hypothetically can take a stock from winning neutral once, though it'll be extremely rare and only marginally more common with Ganon than any other character.

But due to the amount of reward he gets his opponent needs to win neutral more than he does.

Djent

Smash Champion
So what characters do you folks think are solo viable at this point? Note that this is a slightly different question than asking who the top- and high-tier characters are. Someone can be ranked very highly and struggle in 1-2 MUs (ex: Rosa, Ness) or be ranked lower but not lose terribly to anyone (ex: the Pits).

My guesses are sort of in order based on whose worst MUs are worse, but not entirely because several bad MUs can add up to be more severe than one terrible one. For this reason, it's really hard to judge some of these characters in relative terms. But I tried:
Obviously: :4sheik::4zss::4mario::4diddy::4sonic::4pikachu::4metaknight::4fox::rosalina::4ryu:
Maybe: :4ness::4wario:(:4pit:/:4darkpit:):4falcon::4villager:(EDIT::4greninja:):4myfriends::4yoshi::4peach::4pacman:

It is kind of funny that my "obviously viable" list has 9/10 of the characters from Pazx Pazx 's top ten. We just disagree on #11. :surprised:

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Pazx Pazx You and I have exactly the same top 10. I think it's clear too.

I think Ness is 10th and most likely to be ousted by another. My next 4 characters are Wario, MK, Falcon and Villager. After that, things get really sketchy. I don't actually have a 15th character to make a full top 15, I think there're about 7 who could fit the bill.

So what characters do you folks think are solo viable at this point? Note that this is a slightly different question than asking who the top- and high-tier characters are. Someone can be ranked very highly and struggle in 1-2 MUs (ex: Rosa, Ness) or be ranked lower but not lose terribly to anyone (ex: the Pits).

My guesses are sort of in order based on whose worst MUs are worse, but not entirely because several sort-of-bad MUs can add up. For this reason, it's really hard to judge some of these in relative terms. Behold:
Obviously: :4sheik::4zss::4mario::4diddy::4sonic::4pikachu::4metaknight::4fox::rosalina::4ryu:
Maybe: :4ness::4wario:(:4pit:/:4darkpit:):4falcon::4villager::4myfriends::4yoshi::4peach::4pacman:

It is kind of funny that my "obviously viable" list has 9/10 of the characters from Pazx Pazx 's top ten. We just disagree on #11. :surprised:
Greninja should definitely be on that maybe list. The Sheik MU got better with the shieldstun patch and I went over how good the rest of his spread is looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom