• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Not quite prepared to put :4mario: in the upper pantheon quite yet. Maybe. I guess Shocking Cape and Scalding FLUDD can push him just over that edge.
Thanks to the shieldstun changes, it is now impossible to roll/jump out of Mario's Scalding FLUDD while shielding. Previously, you used to be able to. So this is definitely going to help him out in a Customs environment, even though Scalding FLUDD was already a pretty great move to begin with.

In fact, I was hoping that Fire Orb + Scalding FLUDD would create inescapable blockstrings, but unfortunately (or thankfully) this doesn't work since you can roll/jump out of Fire Orb.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice if Fire Orb wasn't a giant floating piece of garbage, because conceptually it's a really cool move. Also it's the only reference to Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga in Mario's whole moveset.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Agreeing with ZSS having better mobility than Greninja, just. He outdoes her in every area (jump height, fall speed, initial dash etc) except aerial mobility and technically run speed (hers is 0.02 higher and she has a worse initial dash; for all intents and purposes their runs are the same). Her aerial mobility is significantly better though and flip jump pushes her mobility into being better than his, just.

Not sold on Sonic having better mobility overall but his faster run speed and access to Spring Jump probably gives him better... well no, 'cause it's not better! His best mobility stat is more useful overall I guess because of that blistering run speed. I'm not sure. You can argue for either character. Sonic's Up B requires a lot of commitment and Greninja outdoes him everywhere except run speed.

Greninja being 2nd or 3rd is amazing nonetheless.

ZSS is looking ridiculous and I'm probably gonna pick her up seriously because it shouldn't be hard to main her alongside Greninja, they're still pretty fundamentally similar characters.

Greninja is getting some great subtle benefits from this patch too. He'll still be ignored in NA but for those in the know, his case as a serious contender is strengthening. He benefits from being a few frames safer on shield for the same reasons as Sonic, and has a serviceable projectile to make up for the lower run speed. The fact that advancing Fair and Nair are now safe on shield is incredible (you still need to pull back RIGHT before you land with Fair though) since his high short hop lets him leapfrog (chortle) campers' projectiles and Nair or Fair them with less risk. Whereas before he was always forced to empty land in this situation.

The fact that Greninja's shield sucked anyway should mean that his MUs don't get worse against the majority of the cast. He didn't rely on shield in any MU before. I could see ZSS getting worse but really I think that whole MU will change; both characters gained safe approaching options.

Which top and high tiers actually suffer from the increased shieldstun? I think Ness does. Rosalina and Mario are iffy (Mario loses out with fireballs but gains in shield pressure). But I'm struggling to think of others who don't benefit overall.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
In contrast, I think this is a bad patch for :4charizard:, but I don't see him moving down much? I also continue to think :4ganondorf: is pretty decent.
Haven't gotten to try Zard much in the new patch, but I don't see how he can function without a great OOS game. Ganon feels OK for the most part, but my impression is that he tends to get trashed even harder in his problem MUs. I have no idea what he can do against Greninja with shield stun, and Robin feels much tougher too. I think his viability has taken a hit even if his ranking probably isn't much lower.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Which top and high tiers actually suffer from the increased shieldstun? I think Ness does. Rosalina and Mario are iffy (Mario loses out with fireballs but gains in shield pressure). But I'm struggling to think of others who don't benefit overall.
Ness does hate anything that means less shieldgrabs, ever. But safer fair and bair are really nice for him.

Haven't gotten to try Zard much in the new patch, but I don't see how he can function without a great OOS game. Ganon feels OK for the most part, but my impression is that he tends to get trashed even harder in his problem MUs. I have no idea what he can do against Greninja with shield stun, and Robin feels much tougher too. I think his viability has taken a hit even if his ranking probably isn't much lower.
I agree that Ganon is more polarized. Zard will surely suffer, but keep in mind that only OoS from "late" shields is hurt. Powershields and almost-powershields are more or less the same, so it's not like Zard's trademark advantage is just gone.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Time for Ike theorycrafting.

With the patch, Ike received enough shield stun to finally make him safely throw out hitboxes without being punished by faster opponents. For his numbers after everything it goes like this

N-Air -6
F-Air -2
B-Air -2
U-Air +1
D-Air - 5

These numbers take into account the new shield drop rules since F-Air and B-Air both deal more than the threshold, meaning the shield drop lag does go into effect after shield stun values, but N-Air does not cause this as it only deals 9 percent.

Another thing that we found out is that Jab 1 is basically safe, period. @San actually tested it and jab 2 comes out when someone would be able to act and either trade, or beat the option. This makes jab 1 an actual neutral option for Ike. With the slew of characters throwing out hitboxes, now, Ike can use his huge hitboxes more freely, though he can't crash into people like he NEVER could.Ike's gonna require strong spacing like he always does but I don't see his MUs getting worse besides...maybe ZSS? I feel like Sheik gets better now that she can't freely punish what we can do, and it may be easier to deal with her with the changes. Pikachu might be worse, but we still get huge value off disjoint and d-tilt being amazing with this patch, if it wasn't already so.

Luigi nerf is a huge boon as well LOL.

If people want to make sure my numbers are correct, please do.
Wait, what are the new shield drop rules?

Are you talking about shield lock? I thought for every attack regardless of damage, shield lock now overlaps shield stun?

I swear I'm learning so much today.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh hm, Zelda's extra 5 frames of safety on toes makes her safe on late-block from all dash grabs/attacks. Hm, that's nontrivial.

Do you think that the cast is closer balanced now, or are they more spread apart?
Ultimately, they are probably closer. Safe bet.

Any character being moved closer to the center is an improvement. Luigi wasn't top, but the game is still more balanced with him moved closer to the center. In the exact same way Ganon wasn't bottom, but the game is still more balanced with him moved closer to the center.

The small direct buffs are indeed small, but can only help. The buffs to several unpopular (weak) customs are even more insignificant, but certainly can't make anything worse. The EBT nerf won't affect Villager's standing that much but is still welcome.

The changes to shield are both less significant than I expected and less beneficial to sheik and diddy than I expected, at least in current theory. While there are some effects that are moving in the less desired direction (pika, zard, ganon, ddd) it's a mixed bag overall. (Good for duck hunt, robin, bowser jr, maybe Zelda after all?)

So the shield changes could help or hurt. But even in the worst case, it is likely that the net negative outcome will be cancelled out by the tiny but strictly beneficial direct changes.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The more I think about this patch, the more I compare it to 6.82 Dota.

For reference, 6.81 Dota was a mess of a game. Matches would basically devolve to "who picks the most early game pushers, wins a fight, and snowballs within 20 minutes wins." The International (Valve's summer major for the game) had just occured when this me, so a patch was to follow. To stop the "memepush" meta, something drastic was needed. Icefrog put in one of the most radical things he's done since he started developing the game all those years ago; add a comeback mechanic. To you, it probably sounds like calling it radical is a joke. A comeback mechanic in a game where matches became ridiculously one-sided sounds great, right?

The Frog's heart was in the right place, at least.

When the patch first dropped, the gold you got was actually ridiculous. The gold you got was based on a fracton of your networth compared to the enemy who was killed. If your team was in a deficit, you could basically win by killing one or two enemy heroes who had a large advantage. Like, not even a huge difference in networth would still give you like 1k+ for killing someone higher up than you. You got punished RIDICULOUSLY hard for making mistakes in the lead. Also, it's also worth mentioning that it boosted XP and was in an AOE, so your whole team got stupid amounts of money and levels for getting a few pickoffs.

This went over awfully. Nearly 15 days after the patch dropped, it was patched again and added a percentage nerf to the amount of gold and XP. Still didn't do much. Over the next few patches, the gold comeback mechanic got nerfed to the point where it's nearly un-noticeable in gameplay aside from large leads netting you a lot more gold.

And here we come back to Smash 4. For as long as the game's been out, complaints of hilariously low shieldstun, making shields ridiculously strong and a stupidly easy way to win neutral. While, like in 6.81 Dota, this is mostly true, the fix that Nintendo put out to remedy this is hilariously unbalanced and extreme. Most of the roster got totally polarized by this change, and now characters who hinged on shields to be any good (Zard, Kirby, but it's not like those characters were very good to begin with) got hit pretty hard.

The same also happened in Dota; the comeback mechanic made the game become centralized on picking teams with good solo kill potential, alongside tanky carries so they didn't lose in one fell swoop. 4 protect 1 was pretty prevalent. The meta always ends up extremely centralized, so it's not like there's much of a difference, but still.

The idea that the shield nerfs will gradually be reverted to a near unnoticeable point is entirely within the realm of possiblity, but I don't think Nintendo are willing to do it. If they are changed (which, again, is likely), I don't think it would be too bad, personally.

If I'm getting too rambly or I'm way off, my point is that both 1.11 Smash 4 and 6.82 Dota serve the same purpose; ridiculous changes which try to fufil the complaints of the large majority of players.

Also, Thinkaman Thinkaman , why do you think Ike is so low? I know he's held with very high regard for the most part here.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Thanks to the shieldstun changes, it is now impossible to roll/jump out of Mario's Scalding FLUDD while shielding. Previously, you used to be able to. So this is definitely going to help him out in a Customs environment, even though Scalding FLUDD was already a pretty great move to begin with.

In fact, I was hoping that Fire Orb + Scalding FLUDD would create inescapable blockstrings, but unfortunately (or thankfully) this doesn't work since you can roll/jump out of Fire Orb.
To be frank, it is disappointing that there's only been a grand total of two people expoiting Scalding FLUDD pre-EVO (Myself and XeroXen), because customs Mario was one of the best characters in the game, and this change only cemented that further. I could say it's because the only Mario people care about is Ally and he doesn't study the game on a theoretical level, but that seems a bit cynical.

On the other hand, people kept hyping Gust Cape and High Pressure FLUDD, and both weren't nearly as good as people made it out to be. HP FLUDD in particular is only good for very specific MUs, and while Gust Cape is practically a straight upgrade, it didn't really change any MUs.

Either way, it's a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Can someone please explain to me how Link, who, when you practically think about it, can defeat over half the cast, is considered a low tier. I can actually explain in detail how Link can be a middle to high tier character, why he's superior to Toon Link (seriously, Toon Link is not as good as people make him out to be, and Link is the opposite), and why he deserves more tournament representation. But the big factor keeping people from using his huge potential is his high difficulty in using.

He's a really great character, and I can explain how he can be such a great and solid character. But what are his drawbacks other than difficulty? He has everything to be a solid character.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me how Link, who, when you practically think about it, can defeat over half the cast, is considered a low tier. I can actually explain in detail how Link can be a middle to high tier character, why he's superior to Toon Link (seriously, Toon Link is not as good as people make him out to be, and Link is the opposite), and why he deserves more tournament representation. But the big factor keeping people from using his huge potential is his high difficulty in using.

He's a really great character, and I can explain how he can be such a great and solid character. But what are his drawbacks other than difficulty? He has everything to be a solid character.

He doesn't have the frame data or, more importantly, the mobility. Most competitive players choose fast link over link, after all. Worse shield and tether grab means his shield is more pressurable than ever. His grab reward is pretty damn good though.

Last edited:

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Any thoughts on last night's Smashfield Weekly #9? While it may have been 1.10, it seemed an interesting warm-up for TBH5.

Highlights included:

-Abadango's Meta Knight looking legit and knocking out Nairo at 5th

-MJG's Villager knocking Nairo into losers while putting a hard stop to 1.10 Luigi's last hurrahs

-Megafox underwhelming away from home at 9th and Ryuga just kinda whelming at 13th

-and Ally playing like a demon wendigo from the dark woods of Quebec, knocking MVD into losers before eliminating Abadango and defeating ESAM 6-2 in grands

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
He doesn't have the frame data or, more importantly, the mobility. Most competitive players choose fast link over link, after all. Worse shield and tether grab means his shield is more pressurable than ever. His grab reward is pretty damn good though.
Okay, Toon Link has the mobility, but the air speeds between him and Link aren't much different (they're only a few spaces apart anyways).

Link actually has decent perceptional frame data (by which a person perceives the attack), and his normal frame data isn't all that bad at all; compared to most other heavyweights, he has a great frame data. Link's got better range than Toon Link on mostly everything (except for Boomerang), and has better combo capability and reward off attacks.

I really feel Link has capabilities inside him and is still superior to Toon Link, no matter how you see it. While Toon Link's N-Air is garbage due to Toon Link's low falling speed and too-quick N-Air, Link's N-Air is considerably one of the best for its edge-guard and KO potential off stage.

But compared to other characters, Megamang, I really do believe that Link is the most balanced of all character, thus why I think he's mid-tier to upper middle. He's seriously not that bad, he's probably the most balanced character and can be used in tournaments viably.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
 INT{(Base damage÷2.6+5)×Hitlag modifier×Element}

With Element being 1.5 for electric and presumably 1 for everything else. On shield, hitlag modifiers above 1 are divided by 1.25 with a ceiling at 1.

For an uncharged Water Shuriken (3%, x1.0), there should be 6 frames of hitlag.
Could you or someone explain the equations and how to do them? I understand the shieldstun equation but not the Hitlag one...

I just want to find out what moves are safe on shield and be able to do the math rather easily.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Okay, Toon Link has the mobility, but the air speeds between him and Link aren't much different (they're only a few spaces apart anyways).

Link actually has decent perceptional frame data (by which a person perceives the attack), and his normal frame data isn't all that bad at all; compared to most other heavyweights, he has a great frame data. Link's got better range than Toon Link on mostly everything (except for Boomerang), and has better combo capability and reward off attacks.

I really feel Link has capabilities inside him and is still superior to Toon Link, no matter how you see it. While Toon Link's N-Air is garbage due to Toon Link's low falling speed and too-quick N-Air, Link's N-Air is considerably one of the best for its edge-guard and KO potential off stage.

But compared to other characters, Megamang, I really do believe that Link is the most balanced of all character, thus why I think he's mid-tier to upper middle. He's seriously not that bad, he's probably the most balanced character and can be used in tournaments viably.
That's all fine and dandy, but the bottom line is that Toon Link's mobility is straight up superior to Link's. Mobility is more important than ever now. Neither character has what I would consider good frame data. Toon Link can at least accomplish things and control the pace of the match much more effectively than Link. On top of that, projectile conversions into kills and a kill throw put him in a class above Link. Regular Link has tools, no doubt about that, but the things that Toon Link has are more important in this meta. Also, what in **** is "perceptional frame data"? You just made that up.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Plus TL bombs are ****ing insanity for kill confirma. Those are so important, and TL still isn't amazing... perception frame data is not important if you get stuffed by the best chars any time you move.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
That's all fine and dandy, but the bottom line is that Toon Link mobility is straight up superior to Link's. Mobility is more important than ever now. Neither character has what I would consider good frame data. Toon Link can at least accomplish things and control the pace of the match much more effectively than Link. On top of that, projectile conversions into kills and a kill throw put him in a class above Link. Regular Link has tools, no doubt about that, but the things that Toon Link has are more important in this meta. Also, what in **** is "perceptional frame data"? You just made that up.
"Perception Frame Data", or what is known as "personal perception" is how fast a person perceives the attack to be going. While normal frame data has Link looking slow, for example, a person's perception has him looking fast. I know, the title doesn't make sense (Personal Perception does), but it's a real thing nonetheless (sorry, I made the name up on a whim).

But Link has things Toon Link doesn't have; Smashes that kill EARLY. Link's smashes are on a level superior to Toon Link's since they kill much earlier and, with U-Smash, can set up more easily with. D-Throw > U-Smash > U-Air is a thing, and it does serious damage. Mobility doesn't really matter with range of the characters; Link has bad mobility, but he has the range to actually compensate, where as Toon Link has good mobility, but poor range.

I don't really think mobility is that much of a factor of what determines a good character. Link is definitely a character with amazing combo ability and one of the best tether grabs in the game (the safest due to the speed and range he has with it). His combo ability is superior to Toon Link's, thanks to bomb setups and Down Throw as well. Toon Link can barely keep a combo up because of his second jump height, air mobility and his fast frame data (which is not suitable for him, because unlike Link, you have to be accurate with Toon Link's attacks to go off stage.)

Link also has the superior recovery, since he needs little mobility on his UpB, whereas Toon Link needs mobility for his UpB recovery; Toon Link even stops at the apex of the recovery move and a few frames after, so that ruins his UpB recovery potential.

Plus TL bombs are ****ing insanity for kill confirma. Those are so important, and TL still isn't amazing... perception frame data is not important if you get stuffed by the best chars any time you move.
Yeah, Link's Bombs are pretty much the same, but they also are for combo confirms. I've not been unable to string a Bomb > U-Air/U-Smash/F-Air/Dash Attack with Link. I can set up pretty well with Link's Bombs, so TL and Link aren't much different...except for who can throw farther and dish out more damage. Link's combo and kill confirms are better than Toon Link's (despite popular belief).

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I got pushed out of my last tournament by a Luigi main. I wonder how things would have turned out differently had I played him again now.

I think whilst Luigi is still potent in the realms of combos and SH aerials and the like, his nerfs have given a lot of characters a bigger chance to shine where they once couldn't. Keep in mind this was the DDD of smash 4, the gatekeeper for so many characters. The game feels totally different with his most polarising tool weakened. Don't know what to make of it yet.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Toon Link's mobility make his bombs so much better than Link's that there's really no comparison between them.

Bottom line is that Link is easier to get in on than Toon Link. For campy characters that is crucial.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
"Perception Frame Data", or what is known as "personal perception" is how fast a person perceives the attack to be going. While normal frame data has Link looking slow, for example, a person's perception has him looking fast. I know, the title doesn't make sense (Personal Perception does), but it's a real thing nonetheless (sorry, I made the name up on a whim).
I try not to engage with you most of the time but you are completely, all the way out of your head.

"Shiek's fair is indeed a fast move, but when we take into account the perceptional frame data of a player who is heavily drugged on painkillers, we see...my God...it's perceived as a frame 0, completely un-challengable attack! Nintendo, what were you thinking?!?!?"

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Among other things her paralyzer is now a lot safer on shield if I'm reading things correctly; from the opponent receiving six frames of shield lag to ten frames, and 4 frames of shield stun from 1. Reading the data is a bit confusing but I'm not sure if it has an electric modifier either (0x14?... down smash doesn't share it at least); if it does that's amazing too. Paralyzer goes from 4 damage uncharged to 6. Although I'm not entirely sure, I think ZSS may have a guaranteed block string dash grab or very very close to.
Is this true? ZSS paralyzer has the "stun" element associated with it, like her dsmash. From everything I've heard, her dsmash is now less safe on block because the shieldlag was removed, and people were speculating it was because of the stun element having an innate hitlag modifier like electricity. Of course, it wouldn't make much sense to apply a hitlag modifier to a move with an element type that negates all hitlag, so perhaps it is safer (or dev team is weird).

Source 1 2

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Does Greninja invalidate Ganondorf now or something? lol

Megamang

Smash Lord
Im sure a campy greninja is a real problem for dorf.

Either way, TL has better kill potential if the enemy knows the MU. As in doesnt try to ****ing contest uair or dair. Why do people do that?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Link's rewards off a grab, range, edgeguarding and aerials are all better though. I honestly think Link is better overall because he actually can challenge shields.

Though, the recent patch bodes well for TLink.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
It's about time we all learn to PSOS. I think it will be required to perfect that technique if you wanna go anywhere notable playing this game.

Megamang

Smash Lord
It's about time we all learn to PSOS. I think it will be required to perfect that technique if you wanna go anywhere notable playing this game.
Anyone wondering, i think this is Power Shield Option Select, check mysmashcorners tech of the week series for a bunch of good examples, tutorials etc.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Does Greninja invalidate Ganondorf now or something? lol
Not sure. The MU was at least 60:40 Greninja in 1.1.0. No idea how bad it is now but it feels noticeably harder, so probably. Ryu and Pika also getting buffed are really bad for Ganon. Ganon was previously usable in tourney as long as you didn't get paired against high level Sheiks, but now it feels like most everyone notable is tougher for him when he was hanging on by a thread already. He can shield pressure slower characters who can't camp too well, but it doesn't really matter when the meta's even more unfriendly than before. Some lower tiered characters are now more able to compete, but the heavies are not included since they lack the mobility to force good characters into shield consistently.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
TLink's projectiles are all less safe on shield iirc.
Though it is harder to powershield them so that's a benefit.
We also may or may not have a 2/3rds shield breaker off of a bomb explosion.
People are exagerating things slightly. In order to get a guaranteed grab out of a Zair on shield you'd need to have a +12 frame advantage against OoS options at least. If you hit Zair such that it hits the shield on the last frame that Toon is airborne at best Toon has a +4 frame advantage on shield-drop due to the minimal amount of frames required for the shield to be held up, and if not for that you'd simply have a +3 frame advantage. What this means is that against OoS options we are still at a disadvantage, of -4 frames. So, lol, no, we don't get a guaranteed anything off Zair up close. The patch just makes it so some moves are no longer as able to punish us OoS anymore if we miss-space Zair, but I wouldn't over-state this advantage at all.

What you should be focusing on is things like projectiles being slightly more irritating due to people being stuck in shield slightly longer if they don't powershield, or Fair on shield being (far) less punishable. What you should be focusing on is the fact that our slow OoS options just got comparatively slower, so we'll want to try harder to avoid situations where we are forced to shield, otherwise make sure we power-shield.

Edit:
Also, for the record, Nair (used such that it hits on the last frame of your air-time) is a +1 frame advantage on shield-drop, and a -6 on anything OoS.
Fair used in the same way is -2 against shield-drop and -9 against OoS options.

Boomerang used right up close is a 0 frame advantage on shield-drop (take away 7 frames for moves OoS, so -7). Obviously this means that if used further away such that the boomerang hits the shield further along in the throw animation, you'll get a better frame advantage.
Returning boomerang makes it so the opponent can't act out of a shield drop for 15 frames and so they can't use an OoS option for 8 frames.

Arrow up close is a -8 on shield-drop. See boomerang.

Bomb is tough to test because it all depends on the context. We'll do a few contexts.
If you stand right in front of them and throw the bomb at their shield then they can act immediately OoS. If instead they shield drop then they'll have to wait 7 frames, in which case you're looking at a -6. Obviously this is right up close though, and distance = more frame advantage.
So let's suppose that you're standing in front of them, you FH and throw the bomb down on the first frame you are airborne (barely missing the JC) (and yes it has to be a FH otherwise the blast will hit you). The bomb misses their shield, hits the ground and the blast hits their shield (presumably doing 8% in terms of shield damage). You'd be looking at roughly a 10 frame advantage on shield-drop and a 3 frame advantage on anything OoS. Thoroughly unpunishable.
One more. Yeah actually, how about if the timed explosion hits you? How many frames would it take to do anything? It takes 16 frames to do something out of shield-drop, so that's 9 frames to do something OoS.
I'll do one more. There's no point in finding out what the frame advantage is for a standard throw on the ground that explodes near a shield because it would be huge, so instead I'll just find out how long the opponent would be stuck in shield from the moment of the explosion. Standard throw does 6% while smash throw does 7%. I'll do both.
Standard throw makes it so the opponent can't do anything out of a shield-drop for 17 frames meaning they can do an OoS option after 10 frames. And smash throw is 18 frames and 11 frames respectively.
And because I just got an idea, if you smash throw a bomb up, and then it comes back down and hits the ground beside someone shielding, they will be unable to do anything out of a shield drop for 19 frames, meaning they won't be able to do any OoS options for 12 frames meaning, if you take into consideration the fact that spotdodge is invulnerable on frame 3, meaning that at best they'll be invulnerable on frame 15 after the bomb hits, and if you consider that grab is first active on frame 12, trying to grab people that shield falling bombs is certainly possible.

Edit 2: You know what, I'm in a testing mood, and I want to check something.
Simple question, what would be required to keep an opponent in their shield against their will between a bomb hitting the ground next to them and Toon following up with an aerial?

I'll start with a SH, bomb throw down at the peak of the jump followed by a Nair, and see if that works.

Holy **** it worked... That's awesome.

Edit 3: So the first hit of Nair is 1 frame off keeping the opponent in their shield before the second hit of Nair, such that it will actually work if you somehow manage to hit their shield with the 7th frame hitbox of Nair (which hits first on frame 6). Essentially then, if you hit with the hitbox that comes out on the 6th frame, they'd have two options: hold shield and take the second hit to their shield, or get hit by it. There is literally no other choice. Which of course has me thinking. Is it possible to set up a bomb to double hit Nair on shield such that the bomb to Nair is still guaranteed? I'm mostly worried about whether I'd have enough time because when I got the Bomb to Nair from a SH, the Nair hit came out just before I landed so obviously not enough time for the second hit, but if I start adjusting the timing of the bomb throw such that I throw it down earlier, it might not then keep the opponent in shield because it is thrown closer to the ground i.e. less frame advantage. I might have to resort to a FH approach, but we'll see.

Nope, it works from a SH. This is sick.

[For the record, the second hit of Nair gives the same 1 frame advantage on shield-drop and -6 on OoS option that the first hit does despite the fact that it does slightly less damage.]

The bomb to double Nair does 2/3 shield damage, so if the opponent's shield is lowish, you can run up, SH bomb down throw, continue to drift into them and buffer a Nair, and if they shield the bomb, they will be forced against their will to shield the first hit of Nair, at which point they will have two options and two options only: either get hit by the second hit of Nair (and leave with their shield even further depleted), or get their shield broken. Sickness.

Edit: See this post http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...h-lab-and-at-list.380910/page-7#post-20234176 for more detail.
Ok, this needs to be discussed in more detail:

I should clarify something first up. I looked at the above in more detail and in order to replicate what it says exactly in the space of a SH there is only a 1 frame window to throw the bomb down (keep reading till the next block of text though). To explain, if you throw the bomb down so it starts on frame 15 of your SH, the first hit of Nair won't lock the opponent in their shield as it will hit 1 frame too late (essentially giving them two options; get hit by the first hit of Nair, or shield it). If you throw the bomb down so that it starts on frame 16 of your SH, everything is absolutely perfect; this is the sweet-spot where you get the bomb to Nair lock out of a SH and you get the second hit of Nair being used on the last frame of your air time so that it gets maximum frame advantage. If you throw the bomb down so that the throw starts on frame 17 of the SH, the second hit of Nair won't come out in time.
In other words, as crazy as this is, it will require frame precision to use.

Arguably there is in fact a 3 frame window to throw the bomb down. When you think about it, the rules haven't changed if you throw the bomb down one or two frames earlier (i.e. frame 14 or 15). The opponent can choose to either get hit by the first or second hit of Nair or get their shield broken. No other option is available to them once the bomb hits their partially depleted shield. So I guess I'm ok with that. We pull off stuff that requires 3 frame precision all the time without knowing it, like power-shielding for instance.

If you just want to definitely lock the opponent in their shield with the bomb to Nair, that's easy, just throw the bomb down at around the peak of the SH, no precision required. You won't get the second hit of Nair, but then maybe their shield was super low and you intended to break it, so that still works and is easy.

In the patch thread I alluded to the possibility of using a FH method if the SH method didn't work. The SH method works, I mean it could be easier, but it only covers approaches on the ground.

The FH method is not difficult, though I'm yet to find a good setup for it. Essentially you just throw the bomb down beside an opponent's shield (without fast falling) as you're coming down from, well anything really. It doesn't actually have to be a FH, it can be after you got hit way up in the air or something. You just want to start it low enough so that the first hit of Nair hits their shield, but not too low otherwise the second hit of Nair won't come out in time (or you'll get hit by the explosion).
With this method you can potentially have safe landings depending on the opponent's shield-health and where you are in the air in relation to them (because obviously you want to be able to throw the bomb just beside their shield and be able to drift right in on top of them so that you land behind their shield with the second hit of Nair to better ensure your safety in case the shield doesn't break).

To sum it all up, this literally means that Toon can threaten and beat partially depleted shields while holding a bomb. What kind of a topsy-turvey world are we living in?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I would argue Link is better than Toon Link in every way except mobility + bombs.

And mobility + bombs are good enough to make Toon Link a better pick than Link overall.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
How are we feeling about Captain Falcon? Sparse talk about him, as he is understood to be very relevant in the competitive meta, but it feels rare to actually see him at high levels.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
How are we feeling about Captain Falcon? Sparse talk about him, as he is understood to be very relevant in the competitive meta, but it feels rare to actually see him at high levels.
I mean, hes really good. But hes just kind of a character where there isn't a whole lot under the surface to really theorycraft on which means he doesn't generate the same level of discussion that someone like Peach does for example. ff uair is underutilized and is even stronger now so thats something.

I will say that, even though he relies a lot on grabs, shield grabs being worse doesn't actually hurt him much since his shield and standing grabs have pretty bad range. (well, compared to dash grab. but what doesn't.)

Edit: Fatality is really good, and has a pretty good road to a potential top 32(?) meeting with Dabuz. as far as tip top level NA Falcon play goes him and Tearbear are still pretty much the best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom