• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
You don't go off stage to edgeguard with Zelda either.
Of course you do, this is the only way to use Zelda aerials safely.
Being floaty, with a long range recovery and long lasting hitboxes makes Zelda edgeguard top tier (you can even burn you DJ and still come back, which is something few can pretend).
You're lucky if you come back against her, unless you can recover very high.
Also the collision issue is something like Diddy's collision issue, if you know to avoid it (pro controller allows easy 360°) it's not an issue.
You can't gimp Zelda if she recovers safe. As soon as she keeps her double jump she can come back from anywhere, including the bottom blast zone. She doesn't have to be worry about being predictible, so she can just fast fall to a point where no sane opponent will try to case her and come back.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The more amusing thing is ESAM putting luigi 3rd.

Biased because his character loses to luigi.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Being floaty, with a long range recovery and long lasting hitboxes makes Zelda edgeguard top tier (you can even burn you DJ and still come back, which is something few can pretend).
Also the collision issue is something like Diddy's collision issue, if you know to avoid it (pro controller allows easy 360°) it's not an issue.
You can't gimp Zelda if she recovers safe. As soon as she keeps her double jump she can come back from anywhere, including the bottom blast zone. She doesn't have to be worry about being predictible, so she can just fast fall to a point where no sane opponent will try to case her and come back.
She'll intercept recoveries , I'll cede that. But top tier edge guarder? Sounds hopeful.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think Sheik, Wario, MK, Pikachu and Pac-Man have the 5 best recoveries in the game. Getting gimped or not making it back onto the ledge as one of these characters is an achievement in itself.

:059:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Sheik, Wario, MK, Pikachu and Pac-Man have the 5 best recoveries in the game. Getting gimped or not making it back onto the ledge as one of these characters is an achievement in itself.

Well there's always the off chance that Wario accidentally leaves his bike on the stage when he gets knocked off...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well there's always the off chance that Wario accidentally leaves his bike on the stage when he gets knocked off...
Chances are that he'll still have fart + upB + amazing airspeed. So even if you mess up as Wario and leave your bike onstage you still have a better recovery than like the majority of the cast.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477

Sheik is way easier than wario to gimp. I don't understand why everyone think she has the best recovery. ZSS has a better one.
Also pacman recovery is not among the best. People being lazy and not trying to challenge some character while they recover doesn't mean they can recover for free.

I know that some of ESAM's opinions are weird, bu have you guys SEEN the latest Japanese tier list? Apparently Donkey Kong is the worst character in the game and Mewtwo is a B tier.
I'm ok with DK being the worst because it looks true when you put Marth and Ike and Lucina and charizard in the E tier.
Like WTF who does this tier lists. Because this is the best way to make once again a Marth invelidating half the cast.

Ok the more i look the more this tier list looks like a tier list of everything but viability. Maybe it's a community popularity contest, a classement of the best looking amiibos or something else...

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I know that some of ESAM's opinions are weird, bu have you guys SEEN the latest Japanese tier list? Apparently Donkey Kong is the worst character in the game and Mewtwo is a B tier.
Ike in 50th.

And DK the worst character?

This tier list is invalidated. I don't care on how they rank other characters. But to put Ike, Lucina, and DK in bottom 3 is madness.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is way easier than wario to gimp. I don't understand why everyone think she has the best recovery. ZSS has a better one.
Also pacman recovery is not among the best. People being lazy and not trying to challenge some character while they recover doesn't mean they can recover for free.
It's also on the Pacman player to not put himself in a situation that he can easily be gimped but yeah, Pac's recovery tends to be overrated.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
why is :4sonic: number 2? thats a good way for him to get more unnecessary nerfs. why are :4yoshi::4falcon: top 10 but :4ness: isnt? the japanese are crazy people.

Browny

Smash Hater
Thanks for this, I really like seeing how the other half of the world sees the same game as us. @smogfrog they arent crazy, thats how they see if. If you lived in Japan you'd probably think that too. I'm sure they think Americans are crazy for overrating Luigi as you seem to agree with :]

First things first, who is #42, google translate tells me its "# 42 Pudding" lmao I want to main that, whatever it is.

Isn't it odd how the Japanese really don't have any care for the FE characters?

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Ok the more i look the more this tier list looks like a tier list of everything but viability. Maybe it's a community popularity contest, a classement of the best looking amiibos or something else...
Nope; it's a tier list. Even crappily Google translating the page will guarantee you of that. It's heavily based on results at high level Japanese tournaments, which is partially why Pikachu and Olimar are so comparatively low and Mewtwo, Duck Hunt, and Pac-Man are comparatively high.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
First things first, who is #42, google translate tells me its "# 42 Pudding" lmao I want to main that, whatever it is.
Pudding is Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff's Japanese name, Purin, literally means Pudding.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
If you can't find a good translation, add amiibos behind, it will show a picture.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Purin. As in, Jigglypuff.

I need more context on that tier list. Is it community voted or what?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Isn't it odd how the Japanese really don't have any care for the FE characters?
I read somewhere that they hate Ike because he doesn't fit the Japanese anime protagonist cliche. US loves Ike design to my knowledge he looks cool, but Japan called him a "gorilla" when he was announced.

Marth is a pretty boy with no muscle, similar to many other main characters. Probably find it hard to self insert into Ike, the hate then effects his representation and then boom bottom tier in every list even with buffs they hate Ike so much they won't ever use him.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The page definitely talks about character strengths and weaknesses. For example, Sonic is described as lacking kill power and a projectile under cons. That doesn't sound like the description of an amiibo, does it?

No. Someone pulled a tier list outta their ***.

Either way, nothing much to see but nonsense there. Move along people.
Actually, I heard that top player input was contributed to this, but that could be a purely unsubstantiated rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Double post .

Last edited by a moderator:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Never thought I'd say this but I'm so happy to see Greninja still being rated low by people. Since at this point I know he's good, yet if others don't see it he might continue to get buffed.

Oh and shock horror I agree with the rest of you and I think both ESAM's list and the Japanese tier list are really bad for many reasons. Diddy at 18th ESAM?

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I read somewhere that they hate Ike because he doesn't fit the Japanese anime protagonist cliche. US loves Ike design to my knowledge he looks cool, but Japan called him a "gorilla" when he was announced.

Marth is a pretty boy with no muscle, similar to many other main characters. Probably find it hard to self insert into Ike, the hate then effects his representation and then boom bottom tier in every list even with buffs they hate Ike so much they won't ever use him.
Perfectly plausible. I hope a lot of other people take note of just how much character bias can affect so-called 'tournament viability'.

When people simply don't like a character, they aren't going to be represented and therefore appear bottom tier.

Literally every single argument people can make against this list for being 'dumb' they could say about a western tier list where there is mad bias for fan-favourite characters

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
You'll have to excuse my skepticism on the matter. She can chase very deep and attempt an edgeguard and safely come back on stage because of her recovery. But a top tier edgeguarder? Not buying it.

The page definitely talks about character strengths and weaknesses. For example, Sonic is described as lacking kill power and a projectile under cons. That doesn't sound like the description of an amiibo, does it?
That's funny, because Sonic himself is a projectile.

, but that could be a purely unsubstantiated rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.
This should be the name of the thread.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yeah, we over here tend to overrate Roy and Luigi quite a bit. It's funny, even though most diehard Fire Emblem fans hate Roy for being the worst Lord, he's become quite a popular character in Smash.

That said, I do not agree with him being D tier. He's like... B- at worst imo.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I think Luigi and Falcon, while both being good characters, work a lot better in mid to high level environments because they both have a major weakness (recovery) that gets exploited a lot more at the top level. Ness is starting to feel it as well, and this sometimes results in considerable differences of opinion regarding their tier placing. I remember back in like December making a post about how exploitable weaknesses will get magnified as the meta develops. Some recoveries are just so linear that the character will die 90% of the time they get thrown offstage, however some people just don't go for it or aren't experienced enough to seal the deal in these cases. Imagine the difference in performance when a Ness dies more than half the time he gets thrown offstage vs when Ness gets back for free every time. We're easily talking a difference of an entire tier / about 5-10 placings.

Also in the case of all these characters, especially Luigi, avoiding being grabbed is relatively easy if you really build your gameplan around that. If you don't, he can seem straight up overwhelming.

EDIT: Also that tier list is apparently some sort of a mash-up of tier lists from several different sites/communities.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I need more context on that tier list. Is it community voted or what?
"It is basically has created a rank by aggregating the opinions of each site, does not deny also be arbitrary interpretation is on"
So although they don't list the website sources they're referring to, that's what it is. As people have pointed out before, there's a large chance that they're overall just referring to tournament results, in which case it is reflecting popularity and perceived power level.
Rosalina is third on this list although the shi-gaming one we were talking about recently (from June) had her as like 8th? Some top japanese players were rating DK and Mario very highly recently.

Either way, yay, 3 more frames off uair/fair/dair/bair and 2 off nair on Marth confirmed.
Although right now we have no idea when another patch is going to come.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I am legitimately curious as to what Japan thought of Brawl Ike vs. Smash 4 Ike. If it's purely the difference of Ike's appearance dragging down Smash 4 Ike, then that's really, really stupid. There's a difference between regions just not feeling a character like apparently Fox doesn't appeal to France, but that's fine; that's a no interest sort of thing. Disliking a character purely because he looks "different" is another story since it'd be really stupid for a character no matter how good or bad to be brought down because he doesn't look "cool". Those are rumors except for Kotaku's - yay, a site that is now considered clickbait compared to in the past - forum pull or whatever of "Japan thinks Ike is a gorilla". For one, that's offensive and highly insensitive to people who have that body type. You don't see people saying they don't like Wario because he's a fat **** or disliking Little Mac because he looks "mixed" - whatever that really means nowadays... Then again, there are people who hate on ZSS because to them, she's a *****.

Anyway, even with people saying regions play different, let's assume that Japan is a methodical region... Wouldn't that make Marth, Ike, and Olimar more highly praised? Characters who excel at methodical play like Duck Hunt who is ranked highly on that site's rank pooling would surely fit a region's play style. Hell, that in turn could lead to Little Mac being somewhere higher than in other regions who bumrush with him. Really curious about their and other region's opinions on characters and their reasons for them.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Either way, yay, 3 more frames off uair/fair/dair/bair and 2 off nair on Marth confirmed.
I actually wish. A Smash game where Marth isn't top 10 feels wrong, and that would honestly probably fix that, although I can't say I have really looked into Marth's problems in this game. I guess he's also lacking the dthrow thing. And dancing blade...still doesn't work.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Everyone cares about the Japanese tier list because it's done a decent job predicting buffs and nerfs.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
This is not the latest Japanese tier list. I have no idea what it is myself. I mean, it's definitely a tier list but it doesn't clearly say who made it, whose opinion it represent and how he ranked them. It only says that based the rankings of the SHI-G rankings (the "official" Japanese rankings), tier lists from abroad (no idea which ones he's talking about), the 2-chan rankings (Japanese 4chan), results of every (lol?) tournament, and everybody's comments. He's also asking everybody's comments in order to improve the rankings. On top of that it's a tier list of For Glory rules, so only Final Destination/Omega stages, even though every Japanese tournament also uses Battle, Smashville and Town and City. This really doesn't sounds like a reliable tier list to me.

The SHI-G tier list is what should be referred to as the official Japanese tier list since it is composed by a few good players. I have no idea exactly whose opinions are included, but I am a 100% sure that not every top player's opinion is included and that even to this list a few not that great players have contributed as well. This list should be taken with a grain of salt as there's a lot of stuff that many Japanese players won't agree on. Nonetheless, it's the closest you can get to an official Japanese tier list, and most Japanese would agree with the big picture.

edit: apparently everybody can create an article on this site. Apparently the guy who created this is just a random dude whose article happened to get popular. For some reason.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja is in 27th huh?

See Sakurai? We really need a frame 8 grab, or make N-Air actually autocancel from a short hop fast fall, or make Up-Smash come out on frame 9.

We need because we're baaaaaad~

(More like terribly average because 27th is like, pretty much right in the middle lol)

Also if Duck Hunt ends up actually nerfed because of this I'm going to cry.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
This is not the latest Japanese tier list. I have no idea what it is myself. I mean, it's definitely a tier list but it doesn't clearly say who made it, whose opinion it represent and how he ranked them. It only says that based the rankings of the SHI-G rankings (the "official" Japanese rankings), tier lists from abroad (no idea which ones he's talking about), the 2-chan rankings (Japanese 4chan), results of every (lol?) tournament, and everybody's comments. He's also asking everybody's comments in order to improve the rankings. On top of that it's a tier list of For Glory rules, so only Final Destination/Omega stages, even though every Japanese tournament also uses Battle, Smashville and Town and City. This really doesn't sounds like a reliable tier list to me.

The SHI-G tier list is what should be referred to as the official Japanese tier list since it is composed by a few good players. I have no idea exactly whose opinions are included, but I am a 100% sure that not every top player's opinion is included and that even to this list a few not that great players have contributed as well. This list should be taken with a grain of salt as there's a lot of stuff that many Japanese players won't agree on. Nonetheless, it's the closest you can get to an official Japanese tier list, and most Japanese would agree with the big picture.
Yeah, I have to admit that the lower rankings seemed waaaay too weird for top player input to have been contributed. Oh well, thanks for your insight.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
If the tier list is true and trends continue, Ganondorf, Ike, and DK will get buffs. I cannot express how much the possibility makes me glee. Please people keep saying they suck so we thrive off the patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom