• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vent.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
mmmm

Popcorn is really good

but its bad for you

Jiggs was top tier too, remember?

Or gay tier either way lol.

My say is that another meleeeeeeeee tournament wouldn't hurt

Here's what we do know - in a few weeks gigs will have its first brawl tournament and we'll see what goes on from there, no?

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
peach goes even with marth sheik and fox get over it fool
Except that there's absolutely no basis for this statement.

See, opinions are fine lambchops, but dont expect people to take them seriously when there's absolutely nothing to back that up.

Peach always places high but almost never at the top. And you see, thats what her placing on the tier list suggests, great but not the best.

I'm not blaming any of my short comings on fox falco marth or sheik, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think peach is at their level. The metagame after an entire six years has shown that time and time again that peach doesnt win

Now you can suggest all you want that there just wasnt enough time invested into peach for people to realize she was the best, but that has as much basis as me saying I can beat isai... I never played him... so who knows? Baseless arguments.

XIF

Smash Master
let him ***** aout the game he's just happy that he might be good at brawl cuz its a new start. arguing its pointless
I still like melee.

I love melee in fact.

Brawl will actually never mean to me what melee does, because melee was my beginnings, its how I know so many people, and made so many friends. My argument isnt that melee is some horrible horrible game.

But you're absolutely delusional if you think melee had a semblance of balance.

And while i was never the best, I was perfectly fine with how I turned out in melee thank you very much.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Honestly,
Icys vs Fox Falco and Sheik is an even matchup. (Icys might have an advantage on sheik...)
Marth has a slight advantage over Icys. This is the match where desynching really helps the icys... I don't know how Chu beats Marths without desynching.

The other thing Chu has going for him is novelty effect. Before you jump down my throat about how everyone knows their matchups think about this: where are the good icys in the country? Hozart, Wobbles, HoChiMinh... and that's honestly about it.

And who was the ONLY person to beat Chu in a set at Pound 2? TheLaw. Obviously he excels at that matchup... but still. If other people got to play Hozart more they wouldn't lose to Chu all the time. Can you imagine how Shiz would do if he could play Hozart on a more consistent basis?

The Icys do NOT have a CG on space animals or marth, there are methods of DI to get out of them which aren't very difficult. How many of you knew that before I just said it? NOVELTY EFFECT.

---------------------------------------
Peach actually does get beat by Fox and Marth. Not only do tournament results reflect it, there's no way to argue it even in theoretical smash.
Fox and Marth both run circles around her, have higher priority than her, combo ridiculously better than her, damage her faster, kill her faster (marth is iffy), gimp her better, etc.

Peach has to make considerably less mistakes than fox or marth when playing against them.
How is that an even matchup? I don't think they're that bad, but I'm pretty sure they aren't even.
---------------------------------------

Honestly, the Icys overall have better matchups than Peach. Peach is one hard counter (which theoretically shouldn't be that bad of a matchup), they are beat by marth a little bit but they go even with fox falco and sheik. The rest of the cast they go even with (doc) or ruin (roy).

The unfairness of melee isn't really that bad in most situations.
In fact many of my favorite matches to play are considered counter matchups. Some of my favorites are Peach vs Fox, Samus vs Ganon, Ganon vs Falco, Roy vs everyone, Sheik vs Falco, etc.

But about Brawl:
It's boring.
It's cool when I get 0-59% combos with Pit against my brother who can't DI, but I can't play the game for more than a couple hours at a time just because it's not that entertaining.
And even my brother tonight started saying "stupid tripping."

Y'all can have your party game. Come get me when it magically turns competitive, difficult, and fast-paced.
I'm going back to melee. I'll see you at the next Gigabits.

P.S. I'm in Gainesville right now until Sunday.

?!?

Smash Lord
Holla at me if you need to hire a teams partner. I
yea its sad how peach players complain about the fox match ups and say that peach makes a mistake and she dies when they forget fox can make one mistake and die the same way cuz of the down smash annd her fair bair kills fox quick.. I still think fox and peach are ever she got alot of comboes just liek fox has on her and no runnign circles around her only means you can make them run into your attacks just like marth fights fox.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Chops you didn't read my post too carefully did you?

I didn't complain about peach vs fox, I actually listed it as one of my favorite matches to play as peach.

I never said one mistake from peach and she dies, I did however say Fox can typically get away with making more mistakes. Fox is generally the better and more consistent punisher of mistakes in the matchup.

And yes on FD peach can take one mistake from fox and turn it into 120+% or a stock. But on stages with platforms her combos take a hard hit where fox's combos are enhanced.

And no running circles around her means he can camp the living hell out of you if he wants. You know what it's like to play Neilson on DL64. Now imagine doing that with a character as slow as peach.

Fox vs Peach might be even or maybe Peach wins on FD, but almost everywhere else Fox has an advantage. I don't remember the last time I lost to Colin on FD, but he's certainly 3 stocked me on most of the other stages with relative consistency.

Brawl is boring.

derf

Smash Ace
dude thomas melee smashfest in the works for saturday afternoon. ill call you

also chops fox is so much fun to fight. even if hes broken. seriously, anybody v fox is my favorite match. (unless its your brother j/k)

Crom

Smash Journeyman
If you think brawl is boring that's fine, your opinion, but you can't say it's not competitive. If your playing brawl just wishing it played like melee the whole time I could see getting bored with it quickly, but that's not the games problem.

Not trying to offend or anything, just tired of brawl getting bashed so much and we haven't even had a single tournament. Was melee so evolved and fast paced in the first month of it's release compared to brawl that it can't be given a chance?

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Not trying to offend or anything, just tired of brawl getting bashed so much and we haven't even had a single tournament. Was melee so evolved and fast paced in the first month of it's release compared to brawl that it can't be given a chance?
no, because people only started getting decent around the 2nd or 3rd year the game was out :/

derf

Smash Ace
crom in the end its all about personal preference. and i dont think we'd be bashing brawl if we weren't trying to fight the preconceived notion that we (as a community, not as individuals) HAVE to move on to a new game just because it shares 3/4 of the same name

?!?

Smash Lord
I wasnt saying you were complaining about the match up exarch. and no camping should never EVER EVER EVER be why fox is not even with peach. there are counters to camping lol ask linguini tipman and anyone who is smart. you gotta learn hhow to lure fox into you and bait him. this has nothing to do with niel he his camping only means he's used rock on you cuz you were an idiot spamming scissors lol.

there is a way around everything in the game its just that you guys doont know how and whne to use your own moves.

?!?

Smash Lord
and yea brawl is competitive its just as good as melee in being competitive I just like melee alot better its more fun to m. after 5 matches I get bored of brawl and never wanna play it again for the day lol. cuz im so used to being able to move around instead of being all stiff in brawl like street fighter. so brawl basically took aways what i like most about thhe game mobility..... **** brawl lol

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
no, because people only started getting decent around the 2nd or 3rd year the game was out :/
People only stood sucking for that long cuz the game was so **** fun. Me an hungry box practically spent the whole summer playing smash and we severely sucked. We spent so many hours playing w.o. noticing it and i could never imagine myself doing that with brawl cuz I mean its fun for like an hour may be two and then I just get fed up with it.

Even w.o. advanced techniques melee was still fast paced.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
People only stood sucking for that long cuz the game was so **** fun. Me an hungry box practically spent the whole summer playing smash and we severely sucked. We spent so many hours playing w.o. noticing it and i could never imagine myself doing that with brawl cuz I mean its fun for like an hour may be two and then I just get fed up with it.

Even w.o. advanced techniques melee was still fast paced.
Thats not what I meant(about fast paced)

I was more or less leaning at the "when competition started". And people get good from competition. :D

edit: I didn't even really see Crom type fast paced. lol. Oh wellz.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
i understand where derf is coming from, with the whole " why do we have to move on JUST BECAUSE brawl is out now." I mean, we are technically getting pushed into brawl since that's where the majority of players are going. But its just about accepting change. But i mean, like others have said, they still have tournaments for older street fighters or older fighters like guilty gear. So not all hope is lost. I've been playing smash since day one and competitively since 05 so i am personally ready to move on. I just want something new.

-hiro

RockCrock

Smash Champion
I won an on campus tournament last night. 25 entrants. The majority of the players were projectile spammers/campers. Zelda players who's moveset only consisted of Din's fire. Snakes that... well.. ya know. Fox lasers and Lucas projectiles of all sorts. My toughest opponent was a ROB that actually KNEW HOW TO PLAY and it was a tough/close match. He didn't spam projectiles. He could actually JUMP and use air attacks and combo with them. He was leagues above any of the other players, and I think that was because he was familiar with competetive Melee.

I found that capitalizing on the enemy was hard because of the slow speed of the game. Even if I saw the move coming, my character wasn't fast enough to punish them for it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
This is what i posted in the other thread but it seems to have died right after I posted:

Derf give the community a couple more months to get their brawl fix. Unless some crazy brawl techniques are found (seems unlikely) I honestly think people are going to get extremely bored of brawl rather quickly. The ceiling for potential in brawl is insanely low. The lack of anything technical to accomplish, lack of combos, and slow gameplay is going to grow old very quickly IMO.

I'm gonna give brawl a couple more months to show me what it has to offer. If it's still as boring as it is now I'm definately down to switch back to melee and I know most of Noob Testament is too.

Btw I respect everyone's opinions on here, so please don't bash me for expressing mine.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I won an on campus tournament last night. 25 entrants. The majority of the players were projectile spammers/campers. Zelda players who's moveset only consisted of Din's fire. Snakes that... well.. ya know. Fox lasers and Lucas projectiles of all sorts. My toughest opponent was a ROB that actually KNEW HOW TO PLAY and it was a tough/close match. He didn't spam projectiles. He could actually JUMP and use air attacks and combo with them. He was leagues above any of the other players, and I think that was because he was familiar with competetive Melee.

I found that capitalizing on the enemy was hard because of the slow speed of the game. Even if I saw the move coming, my character wasn't fast enough to punish them for it.
Call me next time, nub!

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rock I agree, I feel like right now like I can see all the stuff that's coming/predict my opponent well enough, I just don't know how to punish well enough because of the new system!!!

Or get to them anyway (when it comes to camping)!!!

That's how I feel anyway...

>_<

:colorful:

BFG9

Smash Apprentice
Yo, H-box, thanks for housing me the other day. We beat tabuu on intense mode! omgz...tabuu, is a nOOb...and it rhymes! XD.

Your Jigs is still evil but after a few loses, I beat it at least once <3. Good practice, good stuff. C. Crunch....your Marth is too...good...must...practice with you some more >_>. oh, and good Lucas Diddito, H-box XP...made my day even better ^^. Other than that...see ya next week.

-lates-

derf

Smash Ace
yea sheer i saw your post in the other thread. i would have responded to it but i wanted to keep that thread relatively uncluttered in case someone from gigs actually wanted to read through it. the problem i see with ditching melee for a while is the longer we shove it aside, the harder it'll be to bring back. thats why id like to see it continue in the meantime in a reduced capacity. i do feel this is important thats why im beating it to death.

also there are biweekly small melee tournies in gainesville for the time being. we're planning on having the first one friday or saturday. it'll probably have about 10 guys, but if anyone wants to drive up from ocala (or maybe orlando?) for a glorified smash fest post in the thread, we'll let you know whats ups

XIF

Smash Master
If Brawl is a completely new game and not like melee...

why are we playing it?
Well why don't we play mario party?

That game is competitive as hell and is nothing like melee, too.
I forgot how when you're 15 you generally dont have any logic, and that logic is gonna give me a brain hemorrhage.

The reason we play it is the reason why many street fighter fans play super turbo AND third strike. those are two radically different game, but share certain similarities, and to those fans they are both FUN and COMPETITIVE. But in a much larger sense, the fact that it is not a lot like melee doesnt at all suggest that we shouldnt play it. Is melee really the only game for you worth playing? Incredibly close minded, but to each his own, but dont go and just put down brawl and other games because you dont like it, and dont use your own warped examples as some sort of way to prove your point.

As for mario party... ROFL. I dont even respect that argument enough for a response. I doubt you honestly feel like that makes some sort of point, sarcastic or not.

Top Bottom