• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vent.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
I request we do a re-do of our ****ty Mario Kart 64 MM, as both controllers were not ours D: Also you ****in item gayed me that 3rd game like wtf dude
I'd turn items off if I could! You pretty much almost wrecked me. anyone else wanna mario kart 64 money match (no wario stadium shortcuts or cloud turtle guy fishing pole shortcuts) ?

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I'd turn items off if I could! You pretty much almost wrecked me. anyone else wanna mario kart 64 money match (no wario stadium shortcuts or cloud turtle guy fishing pole shortcuts) ?
lol its not the items, its the frickin controllers =/

we didnt have a fair match because your controller was a complete raunch monster.

and I'll do another MM though Kailera :)

lol. tell that to this guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Tinsley

lost like 7 matches in 45 years O.o

brawl still sucks

also i agree mooney tooled harriet at mario kart
lulz. thats insane. talk about br0ken at one of the most played games =O

agreed

thats right, you were there for that. lol

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Well I think this will be my last post concerning brawl in relation to melee.

I'm extremely glad now that I play smash in georgia than in florida. I used to think florida smashers were all around smart and geared toward fighting games, but these posts have made me lose alot of faith in you guys. Brawl has already proven to be an extremely in depth fighter, and the lack of lag cancels doesnt change a thing. Brawl is a fighting game which concentrates on vastly different things, a couple of which I have enumerated in my first post.

But I realize that a majority of florida (like the smash community in general) are really just fans of smash brothers, and not serious about competition (not in the real fighting game tournament sense anyway) Its like a bunch of smash fanatics accidentally got dropped into the competitive fighting game community and just learned smash instead of learning how to play. Learning to play entails much more than just learning a particular game btw, it means learning how to be a smart player. One of my greatest regrets is that the first fighting game I got into was melee, and not something like street fighter or guilty gear because those communities it is sink or swim. In smash we allow so much scrub nonsense its almost sickening. In other communities you're only respected as far as how serious you are about winning, and learning to play. I think part of the reason why there are so many smashers are so bad for years at a time is because we not only dont push others to get better, we almost encourage it. If you're bad at smash bros, its ok "UR STILL A RLY KYUL GAI IN PURSON LOL!!!" "Dont listen to these ***s they just take the game too seriously its ok not to be good" Which it is, but is that anyway to be in a fighting game community? If I can say one thing about lambchops i'll say that him constantly berating me about my skill was about the best thing that couldve happened to me for my game.

Florida is gonna be left behind and once again be thrown into the atlantic by husband at this rate. Why allow yourselves to do that? STRIVE FOR THE BEST, MAKE THE MOST OUT OF BRAWL, AND STICK WITH IT. There has been no indication of brawl being a broken game, and most of the complaints being made basically boil down to "its not melee" This is why smashers get made fun of at places like SRK and what not. Classic smash logic about other fighters is "its not melee" "street fighter doesnt have movement like melee, so it sucks" or "marvel doesnt allow so and so like melee, so its worse" You need to appreciate a game for what it is, not what it compares to. SF, MVC2, and GGXX:AC are all 2-D fighters, but are all VASTLY VASTLY different games, and people play them for different reasons, and being good at any one requires different abilities. Every argument i've heard about brawl being bad has basically been something like this:

Well listen, melee had l-cancelling, and brawl has all these lag problems when you do aerials. l-cancelling is one of the reasons why melee was a good fighter, so obviously brawl is not good.

But you see the entire logic is utterly faulty. Imagine this argument.

Candy is sweet, and beef jerky has this huge problem with not having sugar. Sweetness is one of the reasons candy is so good, so obviously beef jerky sucks.

A lack of sweetness would be the precise reason why candy would not be good, but it completely does not follow that that is why beef jerky would not be good. Melee was a deep and engaging fighter for various reasons, and removal of any of its major elements would most likely render it useless as a competitive game. But it does not follow that Brawl would be the same.

With that I only hope Florida gets on the ball SOON or they are gonna be left behind for 4 or 5 years like it was with melee.

derf

Smash Ace
xif no one cares about lag canceling in particular. mine and exarch's problems with brawl at this point is its just so slow. we look for lag cancels as a means to speed up the game, not as some glitch to exploit to give us some secret knowledge base. i personally think eliminating techniques the vast majority of the community knows nothing about is a good idea. but brawl just took this idea too far.

brawl makes me bored. im constantly having to remind myself to actually pay attention in the middle of matches. brawl feels like a more cluttered version of the original Street Figher 2 for super nintendo.

also, i respect MvC and GG fighting communities, and dont think those games suck. yes melee is different, and whats different about melee is what attracted me to it. my argument isnt against brawl being good its against brawl being fun.

and i was looking forward to brawl too. i love melee, but i was ready for something different. i just didnt figure that that something different was going to have to be guilty gear

edit: also, for brawl to be taken seriously at all in the fighting community as a whole, they HAVE to patch out tripping. regardless of how immeasurably deep this game turns out to be, something completely random like that will always undermine everything else

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry Riot and myself are already crapping on people all over the place as Ike and Dedede :D

Plus the whole hollywood crew apparantly brawls it up all the time too, havent had time to play 1up, Nbp Mike , etc. yet tho =\

derf

Smash Ace
also i dont think we have to worry about husband throwing us into the atlantic again

Ok, are you chowder heads ready for the truth? The truth is, Brawl is a child's game, plain and simple. It was made for, and with the sole purpose of satisfying, small children or those who have no intention of putting out more effort than you would to play Jak and Daxter.

The writing is on the wall, and I'm so disappointed that we are as a community planning on moving forward with this game. I could really write a book on the endless shortcomings of Brawl, such as how it has about as much depth as a sandbox, but let me make my point: Brawl was made to ease the pain of persons who suffered in the face of complicated Melee gameplay. I mean, the dude even said it himself he doesnt want to the game to be so competitive. I've had the game since it's Japanese release and it seems abundently clear what the benefits of this game are . . .

Like to roll a lot? NO PROBLEM!! No big deal friend, you might get hit once, twice at worst. Roll away!

Can't space your upB on the ledge? NO WORRIES!! Feel free to check your cell phone while you play, you won't be punished. The auto-suck on ensures that EVERYONE can get back on the ledge, not just those with talent.

Can't train your fingers to WD, L-Cancel, or meteor cancel? DONT' SWEAT IT!! Now no one can, so the division of skill will be much more fair. Finally, thank god!!

There's some kid down the street who always whoops your *** and then makes fun of you in 7th grade science class? HELP IS HERE!! Because now with Brawl, you can basically mash your palm against the controller and make great things happen.
**** guy, for that matter, he'll be so busy tripping randomly you can just get him then.
Or **** man, after you hit him you'll have a good 12 seconds before he comes back down again so you have plenty of time to plan your next attack. This way there will be no pressure whatsoever during the match.

That's because in Melee you were forced to make bsplit second decisions, supported by split frame timing and precise finger movements. ON TOP of the mind games which people are flaunting as the upside of Brawl.
If Melee was Fight Club, then Brawl is like, you know when you would wrestle in those ball pits? You could pretend you were Edward Norton, but everything is padded anyway and besides you know your mom is watching from outside anyway just in case.

Melee still has years left on it. We were just figuring it out. M2k was discovering new things up to the end, and some random kid won the last tournament. There's no reason we can't keep playing Melee.

My final argument and then I'll finish:
How on earth are you going to convince a girl that playing smash for a living isn't so stupid? In Melee you could explain the complex mechanics, the sophisticated mental battles, and high level of competition.
How are you going to get any *** at all if you have to explain why you spend your weekends playing Brawl? Just look at it. It's ****ing embarrassing.

XIF

Smash Master
Like I said I wont argue anymore but I will say you guys are just not listening, and wife was making some completely moronic points which I have ALREADY GOD ****ED REFUTED SO IF YOU WOULD KINDLY RESPOND TO ARGUMENTS INSTEAD OF BRING IN OLD ONES...

dear lord.

Not to mention I could get a dozen or so pro players to agree with me here, including half of MD/VA and Mike G.

Actually my entire argument could consist of just "mike G thinks brawl is an amazing game" and it would be over because people instead of listening to logic listen to mike.

grrrr.

derf

Smash Ace
im not trying to piss you off man. im just saying IMO this game sucks. and im not mad at anybody. im just disappointed. extremely disappointed.

and btw dont you realize youve already won? theres a 95% chances brawls gonna take over. and at that point i'll be be retired and you wont have anybody to argue with. these are just my death throes, baby

also id like to point out my personal reason for disliking the game has nothing to do with its depth. rather, its the fact so much time goes by (measured in seconds) between times when i actually have to be paying attention to whats going on

and as far as you refuting all the points against this game. what about tripping?
were all just completely sweeping this huge problem under the rug believing if we discover enough new tricks and strategies, this core flaw in the gameplay will just go away

mog112

Smash Ace
Its clear that brawl is not as competitive. Exarch and others have have many reasons why.

Of course most people will be playing brawl, and that is where the money is. So it makes sense to play brawl, its just not as fun.

XIF

Smash Master
Its clear that brawl is not as competitive. Exarch and others have have many reasons why.

And there are numerous arguments to the contrary. Far more actually. I dont see how you can say it is clear when there are so many people that completely disagree, and people's whose word I and others I think should at the very least respect such as mike G, Marty, Most of DA, etc...

Of course most people will be playing brawl, and that is where the money is. So it makes sense to play brawl, its just not as fun.

if you dont like it because it isnt fun for you thats an entirely different and entirely valid point (for you specifically), but fun isnt a definable discrete thing to be measured, I think third strike is completely boring, but that doesnt mean a thing to its depth and competitiveness.
10 characters.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
10 characters.
What Sheer ownage.

On Topic:I think we should all just give Brawl a chance, and not worry about whats good or bad about it. I know I don't like the game NOW, but I said the same about melee with smash 64.

And I'm sure others did to. Partly the reason I didn't play melee until like December 2006/January 2007 is because I liked ssb64 more. But in time Melee grew on me. Infact, I think the same happened to ken, and Isai, and others.

derf

Smash Ace
Most people who don't like Brawl are newer to the Smash scene (such as me), but people who have been playing Melee a long time love it besides Mew2King.

There is some other factors, but I have noticed that.
except everyone arguing against brawl in this thread is an established tourney veteran.
the old melee players seem split about 60/40 for brawl whereas the new guys pretty much all love brawl

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
except everyone arguing against brawl in this thread is an established tourney veteran.
the old melee players seem split about 60/40 for brawl whereas the new guys pretty much all love brawl
I don't mean a year to two year veterans. I am talking about Mike G. old school. MookieRah. DA crew. KillaOR. That old.

Edit: Maybe more specifically, people who joined more towards the beginning of the smash scene instead of how long they played.

derf

Smash Ace
ok im a 3 year veteran. although yes, there are plenty older peeps

the most important question though is this:

WHY CANT WE JUST PLAY BOTH GAMES IN TOURNAMENTS?

seriously, these games are completely different. If they had named this game Marvelous Mash Pals instead, would we even be having this debate? of course not, we'd play both games. which is what we should be planning on doing

XIF

Smash Master
i've been in the game far longer than you or exarch, and are far more travelled than either of you.

I still love the two of you to death but thats precisely why I want to press upon you that brawl is a perfectly fine fighter. Friends are real, and this is real talk.

derf

Smash Ace
i believe you man. fenrir and rohins from my own crew prefer brawl. i just have no interest in it. therefore, i want to continue playing melee. in simple terms, im just worried there wont be anyone left to play it against

and yes wifes quote was a little extreme but i posted it b/c it captures what the slightly irrational side of me wholeheartedly believes

Mr H is MARIO

Smash Journeyman
i REALLY wanted to use mario in brawl but i cant. I cant get around not hitting L when i go near the ground or wave dashing. Since i mained Mario in Melee, its just so...different. I think i've suicided nearly 20 times by pressing Down B thinking i was gonna tornado....

Now someone could offer the arguement to use a new char but, i mean i dont want to. IN Smash64 i used mario, in melee i used mario. Hes my favorite Nintendo char period, and even a week or so after the American release of brawl, i just cant get used to it. Its pretty frustrating, knowing that as my friends get better with their mains, im moving no where.

Of course brawl is still a good game, i GUESS its more balanced, i cant honestly tell. I will say that it does seem SO much slower, and it just doesnt seem, right. It doesnt feel right, and i agree with derf, i find myself bored alot of the time. A HUGE downside i've noticed now, fighting chars like Pit or Zelda is like playing 1 on 1 Lockout in halo 2. Nothing but camping, THAT is not fun. In melee ranged moves were there, and i've been blasted camped before. But in brawl it takes so long to move from Point A to Point B (Point B being where your opponent is, spamming a projectile) that it almost feels useless. I tried doing the same thing back with Mario, not as successful. Don't misread the camping thing though, i have no trouble getting from Point A to Point B, but its nothing but me getting angrier and angrier as i manuever through projectiles, hit the opponent away then deal with the same thing all over again.

Brawl is a good game, I'm sure there will be ALOT of tournaments, alot of competitive play. I'm sure some people love it. However, my personal opinion will remain the same, a HUGE letdown. Smash64 and Melee were games that i played throughout their entire lifespan (as in, until the next one was released). While i realize that the games are different, i can see this becoming one of those games that I just stop playing for another game.

EDIT:
I plan on going to a tournament in orlando just to see how things work out. Maybe i'll enjoy it alot more ina more competitive enviroment, i dont know. I hope so..

derf

Smash Ace
yes, i am saying just that, that brawl IS highly luck compared to melee

trading hits, random air dodge to the ground with no landing lag, random tripping, which can happen during DDD chain grabs, air tripping as well, there's tons more luck in brawl than there is in melee, and far less guaranteed things. You don't anticipate the moves of noobs, they do random things, in melee you just **** them by being better, but if they are a campy noob, they can still do decent by just being a shield camping ***got. Melee has infinite room for improvement, without even needing to play gay. Brawl, if you play gay and boring, you have a SIGNIFICANTLY bigger advantage, and that's extremely boring and ********. Lack of things you can master makes the game less fun with less replay value, which are things melee offered to a huge extreme.

You can do things randomly and not get punished for it nearly as bad as you would in melee, and that's a downgrade for competitive potential, where the best player isn't as guaranteed to win, especially in 3 stock matches. You suicide once it's over, in melee comebacks were easy cuz of death combos and stuff, brawl is more leveled out for the little kiddies, and that's more unfair for the better players. All the advanced tactics aren't hard to do, like shield cancel, it just takes getting used to, and it's extremely shallow, anyone can do it, and it's also really really really campy and that makes the game not fun. Brawl wasn't designed to be competitive, Sakurai did this on purpose, stop trying to make it competitive. Actually, that's what I'm trying to do, but it's not working, so just go back to melee, everyone's fine with that.

I don't want to argue about this, NOTHING anyone says will change or persuade my opinion at ALL unless I convince myself that with my own observations which hasn't even become semi close to happening. I'll play brawl cuz everyone else is, that's the only reason.

Blind predictions are the perfect way to describe the game.
ill stop quoting scars thread now.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
to respond to a few things alex mentioned recently:

I have not had to think nearly as hard or as quickly for brawl as I have had to learn to in melee. I doubt I ever will. It's just a slower game.

Also I think I have a healthy respect of the other gaming communities, seeing as how Hozart was a guilty gear player before smash, and any community that can produce Chaddd has my respect. I've even considered picking up GG because it's a ridiculously balanced game and I was looking for something new. But the whole life bar traditional fighter thing, just isn't as appealing.

And for the record I like that our community is supportive as a whole. We support each other because we respect everyone, instead of haggling them because they suck. Sounds to me like we've got OUR priorities straight. It is, after all, just a video game. As long as you're making some attempt to get better, our community is a supportive one. Sounds good to me.

And come on, are you really going to accuse me of not being a smart player? Derf too? reeally?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some personal thoughts:
What attracted me to melee was the free flowing combos, the relatively simplistic inputs, and the options open. Admittedly Brawl has more simplistic inputs (for now) but the lack of options is just so disappointing. Melee was the first thing I've really had the experience of having a large number of options to choose from and having to make that decision. Other things I had never been good enough at, or was always being told what to do.

Indeed it's the reason why there were so many styles in Melee. Everyone made their own choices. Brawl too will have many styles (goodness knows I'm probably the only aggressive Pit-from what i've heard), but the limiting of options is going to decrease the number of styles overall.

I realized recently that I can do it with racquetball (not that I'm great); I'm good enough to control my shot, realize the options I have and the consequences of each one, and pick the one I think is best.

Even more recently than that has actually been swing dancing. We've learned just a few things, but already I can string them together in anyway I think fits. (Hooray for being lead.) Tonight he was talking about the Charleston part of swing, which there is over 10 million variations of.

I like options.

P.S. Don't think for a second I'm not playing brawl myself and getting used to the movesets and techs. Once I've got those it's just another game. Maybe that's why brawl peach still felt natural to me, since there's few changed to her moveset. Just readjust to the knockbacks and timings, I'm all set.

gangsta66

Smash Journeyman
omg wat is it wit all these long @$$ posts. are ppl even reading that **** lol. y do u guys have so much time on ur hands haha.

brawl is still g@y tho

derf

Smash Ace
omg wat is it wit all these long @$$ posts. are ppl even reading that **** lol.
ive never read a post more than 5 lines long that wasnt posted in this thread

actually this last week is the first time in over a year ive posted more than twice in a week.

my entire argument: "just keep having melee tournaments"

SheerMadness

Smash Master
hiroshi don't steal my main. hahaha thats like the 10th thread ive posted right after you saying that

Honestly brawl is fun, but wtf were they thinking taking out L-canceling? Melee is a far better competitive game.

gangsta66

Smash Journeyman
ive never read a post more than 5 lines long that wasnt posted in this thread

actually this last week is the first time in over a year ive posted more than twice in a week.

my entire argument: "just keep having melee tournaments"

hahaha me 2 man and i even think ima cut down to only readin 3 lines insted of 5. i agree wit u tho, melee shuldnt die bcuz of such a horrible game. it just doesnt make sence to downgrade to a worse game wen we already have such a good 1

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
IMO most of the average tourney goers from before who weren't making much money from tourneys AKA 95% of the competitive community are switching to Brawl partly because its a new chance for them to shine, whereas melee its pretty tough to break into the top ranks!!!

I know this will probably be the same for Brawl once it's more developed, but at the moment these people see it as their best chance!!!

That not the only reason I think everyone is preferring Brawl, but I know that is part of it!!!

>_<

:colorful:

skrach8

Smash Lord
lol all of the good melee players are gunna ***** so hard when they're getting ***** by the new comers. personally i want to see some random kid win. that would crack me up. right now the game is kinda simple. Just to spam high priority aerials, retreat, sheild, retreat, spam, retreat, spam more broken moves, retreat.....etc. but then again u might get that person that does have sick mind games and makes an effort to think outside the brawl box, and NO.. spacing doesnt mean u have sick mind games, camping does not mean u have sick mind games, running away does not mean u have sick mind games, those examples right there are gunna keep this game boring and as exarch put its..... CHESS TO CHECKERS.

Oh yeah and spamming up smash/attacks in the same spot with IKE, hoping mofos will roll or run into it are not mind games.

lol at hbox. lol at tripping, its apart of the game now.

its gunna be even more annoying hearing people complain about losing. THAT IS GOING TO BE A HUGE TREND THIS GAME, at least for the first few tournies. lets face it people, the ones that were good in melee have a good chance at getting owned by people you thought were noobs, and thats gunna be hilarious.

who wants my sonic?

Top Bottom