• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vent.

Vijin

Smash Ace
I don't thing jigs is near as deadly as she is in melee.
One simple mistake doesn't equal -1 stock anymore. I still like playing her though.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Man i've never seen such a vomit inducing post in my life.

I'm sorry you dont like a game thats far more fair and balanced than melee, and i'm sorry that brawl is not melee, and i'm sorry that you even suspected for a second that you'd necessarily be good at brawl just because you're decent in melee. You sound like the atrocity mew2king is regarding brawl. colin lost to xyz's sister? so, the fvck, what? Its been out for all of 6 weeks and not everyone is good yet. funnily enough i havent heard colin come in and complain. Thats because he's an intelligent human being.

I'm tired of this nonsensical argument where people think because they were good in melee and now that they lost to some crappy melee player in BRAWL (not melee) that it means the game is unfair. No, you just suck. quit life son and fvcking learn to play brawl instead of falling for stupid **** like pit's arrow camp and metaknights aerials, there are better characters than those two ROFL.

And Its funny how there are plenty of fighting games that survived without anything near l-cancelling or wavedashing. Ever heard of a game called street fighter third strike? zomg there's no way to cancel moves. L-cancelling fit melee just fine because melee was a fast paced game. Brawl is not, but brawl also a game where you need to think twice as fast. Every character is so unique and you require such a deeper understanding of each character its ridiculous. Snake alone is enough to prove my point. But you have also characters like ROB with an insane amount of possibilities with his Up b, not even getting into the laser and top. And diddy kong's banana peel game is absolutely ridiculous. Ganondorf's forward B is perhaps the one instance in smash bros history where a true rock paper scissors set up has come into play.

Not to mention that without l-cancelling, and the addition of super laggy and no lag landings from aerials, there's a much wider distinction between what to approach and use as a grounded attack and whats to be used for killing and edge guarding. wario has a calendar year of lag with all aerials minus neutral and up air. But rather than laggy being their nature, its an in game punishment for those who want to press aerial combos like that. Normally his back, down, and forward air all complete by the time he begins to fall from a short hop. Ganon's back air is similar.

Brawl is a good game and being good in melee has ZERO meaning when it concerns brawl.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
You're trying to play brawl like you did melee. I just realized this when playing A-L that instead of comboing them you have to hit them and let them come to you. It's all about predicting your opponent like melee, except that there's more predicting involved. The game is not about playing game anymore its about playing smart which you can do. I am getting beat today by people that i could 4 stock in melee too, but now I'm starting to get the hang of it and beating those people that i used to beat again. We the veterans have an advantage because we've already gone through the steps of fixing our gameplay. You are making thousands of mistakes per match and so is your opponent. All you have to do now is reduce your mistakes.

In essence it is like starting over. Everyone is starting over. It's all about who can rebuild their game the fastest.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
"Well, all their prayers just got answered because now all these ****ers don't have to train, l-cancel, wavedash, dashdance, combo, or think for that matter. Any ****ing scrub can pick up the **** game and beat anyone."

^So, uh, not touching on anything else but this sentence, is this basically saying that your whiny *** actually had to "TRAIN" dashdancing? LOL dood it just button combinations, you're looking at it in such a moronic way. A few months after learning l-canceling i was probably down to missing 1 l cancel for every 50 or more that i attempted, so whats the harm in taking it out? its just tech skill man it doesnt ****ing matter, go cry about not being able to pull a trigger and think you're "better" than someone else, im not saying you're not good, im just saying what you said was dumb. Brawl rules, cry me a river

edit: jesus christ, i just read the rest of your post. How the **** did you manage to write that? Did your testicles shrink back into your body?

btw

i ****ing rock with jiggly lol

youtube.com/gawes

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Man i've never seen such a vomit inducing post in my life.

I'm sorry you dont like a game thats far more fair and balanced than melee, and i'm sorry that brawl is not melee, and i'm sorry that you even suspected for a second that you'd necessarily be good at brawl just because you're decent in melee. You sound like the atrocity mew2king is regarding brawl. colin lost to xyz's sister? so, the fvck, what? Its been out for all of 6 weeks and not everyone is good yet. funnily enough i havent heard colin come in and complain. Thats because he's an intelligent human being.

I'm tired of this nonsensical argument where people think because they were good in melee and now that they lost to some crappy melee player in BRAWL (not melee) that it means the game is unfair. No, you just suck. quit life son and fvcking learn to play brawl instead of falling for stupid **** like pit's arrow camp and metaknights aerials, there are better characters than those two ROFL.

And Its funny how there are plenty of fighting games that survived without anything near l-cancelling or wavedashing. Ever heard of a game called street fighter third strike? zomg there's no way to cancel moves. L-cancelling fit melee just fine because melee was a fast paced game. Brawl is not, but brawl also a game where you need to think twice as fast. Every character is so unique and you require such a deeper understanding of each character its ridiculous. Snake alone is enough to prove my point. But you have also characters like ROB with an insane amount of possibilities with his Up b, not even getting into the laser and top. And diddy kong's banana peel game is absolutely ridiculous. Ganondorf's forward B is perhaps the one instance in smash bros history where a true rock paper scissors set up has come into play.

Not to mention that without l-cancelling, and the addition of super laggy and no lag landings from aerials, there's a much wider distinction between what to approach and use as a grounded attack and whats to be used for killing and edge guarding. wario has a calendar year of lag with all aerials minus neutral and up air. But rather than laggy being their nature, its an in game punishment for those who want to press aerial combos like that. Normally his back, down, and forward air all complete by the time he begins to fall from a short hop. Ganon's back air is similar.

Brawl is a good game and being good in melee has ZERO meaning when it concerns brawl.
I don't give about triple posting. (it was lag induced anyways) This needs to be quoted for truth.

derf

Smash Ace
i am saying bring melee back

melee is the only fighter ever made where your characters have that much freedom of movement. to me, this comes down to the fact i practiced, studied, and most importantly enjoyed melee for years, and now its been taken away and replaced with something completely different.

terrible analogy: its like i was a tennis player, and then, one day i woke up and discovered all my fellow tennis players now play ping pong instead. Is ping pong a good game? yes. but what the **** happened to tennis?

Zoro

Smash Champion
the only reason why im doing somewhat well FOR NOW is because i totally embraced brawl and want to learn everything i possibly can.**** melee
there is a clear distinction between good players and bad even in brawl and right now the majority suck even me thats why you get owned my xyzs sisters. cant come in with the mindset that this is a slow melee you gotta learn how to play brawl so yea u gotta start over.
I love how technical melee was but brawl is still deep in my opinion.

and im sure its come across ur mind how is zoro beating me or even beating other people?
well duh ive had the game for 2 months longer than you. in 2 weeks im going to be getting owned cuz im the dumbest kid in the world.its all about the mindgames now son

XIF

Smash Master
i'm going to bed and when I wake up I hope some people have gone to their senses:

I am sympathetic with derf though because I still enjoy melee as what it is, but brawl is just overshadowing it now, and it is a far more balanced game than melee, and it does have much depth to it. They are two completely different games, but you have to realize everyone is gonna play brawl because its precisely the undiscovered that lures us. When you know everything about a game, while fun, there's nothing new to be brought to light the fires of those constantly looking to learn a game to its fullest. That and brawl is gonna be 1000 times more popular due to all the new randoms, who will eventually be all the new regulars, and in time may be all the new pros.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
the only reason why im doing somewhat well FOR NOW is because i totally embraced brawl and want to learn everything i possibly can.**** melee
there is a clear distinction between good players and bad even in brawl and right now the majority suck even me thats why you get owned my xyzs sisters. cant come in with the mindset that this is a slow melee you gotta learn how to play brawl so yea u gotta start over.
I love how technical melee was but brawl is still deep in my opinion.

and im sure its come across ur mind how is zoro beating me or even beating other people?
well duh ive had the game for 2 months longer than you. in 2 weeks im going to be getting owned cuz im the dumbest kid in the world.its all about the mindgames now son
Truu its all about the mindgames now son. no more technical and it makes me happy. That's bull**** that only players with fast fingers can win. I was preety technical but that sucks for those who weren't. You can admit it too juan. You were lucky you picked jiggly because she is like the least technical character in the game.

(zoro needs to add me in brawl)

And you say jiggly sucks lookk at GAWes. I was like holy **** when i saw that guy.
youtube.com/Gawes

Too good.

derf

Smash Ace
i know melees gonna die. i just would like to carve out a little niche for it if i can. if melee can attach itself to
SOME brawl tournaments for the time being, wouldnt you still enter? wouldnt most of the old guard?

maybe im wrong and im sure im getting on some peoples nerves already but ****it i loved that game

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Its just....I hate that i've gotten so far just to fall back down again. It's like climbing at immense staircase made out of ice and youve tried so many different ways so get up, and once you finally do, you just melt to the bottom and find out you have to start over.
dude icekid totally melted your staircase.

mog112

Smash Ace
haha i hate brawl too.

camping is def a big problem in the game. there is no quick / good way to get around it.

also xif if pretty sure brawl is not anywhere near as balanced.

to me it seems easy to tell that it is not as good and is a party game, but i guess no way for anyone to know now for sure.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
wow, wtf. Get over yourself H-box. Maybe if you weren't so cocky about Melee, losing in this new & unfamiliar game wouldn't be such a blow to your ego.

As time goes on we'll adjust and Brawl will be amazing. People who didn't know advanced tactics have the advantage of not having to break the habit of trying to wavedash/l-cancle ect. However those same people probably won't be learning the new techniques which are discovered. This is a transition period though, you can't expect to be good at Brawl immediately just because Jiggs was so easy to pick up in Melee.

When IceKid showed up at 7:00am and we were waiting till more people would start coming, he was showing me some pretty sick stuff with Ice Climbers. They have a bunch of new Desync techniques which weren't present in Melee, and other characters are the same way. Just because some stuff like wave dashing didn't transfer over doesn't mean there won't be any sick combos/gimps that people will find.

I'm getting a bit sick of people saying Brawl requires no tech skill and is only camping and/or mind games now. But whatever, as long as they keep that mentality they'll never improve.

I'm sorry, but this thread is full of lose.

XIF

Smash Master
haha i hate brawl too.

camping is def a big problem in the game. there is no quick / good way to get around it.

also xif if pretty sure brawl is not anywhere near as balanced.

to me it seems easy to tell that it is not as good and is a party game, but i guess no way for anyone to know now for sure.
because aside from once every year maybe anyone could win with someone outside of fox marth or falco.

please.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
my little sister is in the power rankings for sure in brawl. Shes too ****, she actually trains with me. I'm gonna start teaming with her for tournies.

you def have to think alot more for brawl, every move is so important, due to the lack of l-cancelling and lag with some moves. comboing is still here, jsut not as great. it's true that all the cheap/lame ppl who play characters that throw projectiles or just do two moves are gonna win now, but give the game some time, soon enough.... everyone will know whos top10, who has skills, and who just plain out sucks. (sheer)

and fred, hell ya... keep melee alive, I gotta have my dose of derf practice. Your sheik is so much fun. not your marth.

btw: little sister's tag name will be little sistor. gosh that so badass.

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
I've never met this Hungrybox kid, but I can already tell I dont like him, maybe its because you are 14 and act like it. Or maybe its because you make topics like this. This is smashboards, not livejournal son.

You got your **** pushed in because you cant do the same annoying stuff with jigglypuff and have it work the same in brawl? Who cares? Instead of crying about it to a bunch of people online that dont care, why dont you take a step back on that turn you sit out because you lost and say hmmm if this isnt working maybe I should think for a second about what IM doing wrong.

At this moment in time, just about everyone who got the game on release date are about on the same page as far a skill goes, does this mean when random **** talking scrubs that come into nexus beat me? No. Do we have good matches? If they are slighty above average at the game then yes. Now if the kid comes in and is completely ******** then yes I devastate him just as bad as I would in melee.

Which is how it should be with all of us playing the game for less than 2 weeks. The only things I see in your posts hungrybox are either being way too cocky, way too annoying, or way too cry baby.

Learn to play this NEW game, or quit and swear it off forever, I dont care, as Im sure the majority of the internet doesnt care either. Try to stop crying for a minute to two, and learn to play this game as a NEW character that you dont know how to play as, instead of starting this game as samus I started with Dedede, for the simple fact that I have my mind set on how to play samus from melee, but no clue how to play dedede, so it was alot easier to adjust to brawl with a character ive never palyed before, that didnt exsist before.

But you were probably too busy getting pissed off and making excuses about why brawl sucks to take a minute to come up with a mature way to go about things.

Ps. For anyone that wants my brawl code just IM me on AIM (xxslynkeexx)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
A lot of people share Sly's view of switching characters.

I mean, I can't play Fox now...at all...he's so different.

I don't know the slightest thing about jiggly in this game, but I do know that metaknight is really easy to get around. He'll combo you, sure....but come on...it's freakin metaknight. What does he do again?

Now Pit is an honestly good character, but you should be able to easily get around the stupid arrow spam. jump, shield, roll...any one of those can get you a little bit closer to him. The arrows don't even come out all that fast. Not sure why you have a problem with them.

To me, Brawl does require more of a mind game situation than melee does. I feel like I'm always thinking in my matches now, instead of being just fast at times. There were people who got by in melee just due to their finger speed, and that has been pretty well taken out. I mean, you can still do quick things, and they help...but not as much.

This morning, I played a few matches with Rohins...they were too good...I don't know that I've ever had to think as much before. It's all about calling the rolls...calling the air dodges...taking risks.

Personally, I played Melee for over 4 years competitively. My first SWF tourney was in Jan of 2004. I've seen the game go through a lot of changes...a lot of improvements...and honestly, I'm sick of it. I, for one, would probably not be entering a Gigs Melee side tourney...I don't go for the Melee tourney anymore anyway...I go to hang out with people...the tourney was a side. Doubles was more fun anyway.

Basically, I think I'm completely done with melee...I hope Brawl keeps up as well as it did..

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Wow. Some big posts.

I was just "venting" because I got ***** online by my brothers and friends. meh.

To Slynkee, manko, XIF, Fenrir, XYZ, and the others:

My bad for once again being my self.

I dunno...I mean I'm going to try to get good with puff. And i suppose, as i did with Marth in Melee, that'll I'll work around the perks.

My bad for being a *****. i didn't mean to upset you guys or be cocky.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Puff is actually really good, I was able to beat capncrunches Marth with Jiggly without a problem and he's pretty good. I think if you use the same determination to get better that you did with Melee, eventually you'll probably be as good as you were before.

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
Lol, at deleted first post =(

I just heard about this thread last night and now I can't even read the phail :cry:

If you're a jigs player, stuck with her 'cause she's gonna be too good in Brawl.

Just keep playing dude, Brawl's a new game. Don't call Johns when you lose either, it makes you look like a textbook scrub.

I say that with the best intentions, good luck.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
well, i didnt read the post but it sounded pretty bad. You cant get mad yet, we JUST started playing man. This game is going to be too good. I fvcking love this game and can't wait to start finding our more cool stuff. But i must say, kirby seems so simple compared to a lot of the other characters. I hope i can find some cool tricks. I have such a hard time against projectiles but mostly swordsman. But i wasnt complaining, i just kept playing trying to figure out how to get around it. And brawl is MOST DEF more mindgamey. I had to slow down sooo much in brawl now and think everything threw. Cuz as much as i want to spam kirbys amazing bair to own, i have to be careful cuz its also one of her main kill moves. it'll be fine. give it time and have the same determination.

-hiro

EDIT: WTF? since when am i hungrybox?

-hiro

gangsta66

Smash Journeyman
dont worry hbox i got ur back.....

this game fvcking sux. dont need to waste n e more of my post on how bad it is that pretty much covers it.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
roflcopter

maybe im just johning cuz of online lag

its....horrible, to say the least.

Any advice on how to fix it?
Well, it could be because of the walls in your house interfering with the wireless internet if you have it which can be solved by getting a wii lan adapter.
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802615

Or it could be because someone is using the computer while you're on, thats what always causes me to lag during matches is someone from my family will get on my computer.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Mankosuki;4137604[/quote said:
When IceKid showed up at 7:00am and we were waiting till more people would start coming, he was showing me some pretty sick stuff with Ice Climbers. They have a bunch of new Desync techniques which weren't present in Melee,
**** yeah go IC's. :)

Juan, just get good at Brawl. Don't take what these others have said the wrong way either. People like Xif and Mankosuki are trying to tell you something, other then flame you.

Off-topic:Xif/Mankosuki, what do you think of Brawl as a competitive game? I know it's been out for not even a month, but do you think it will be more competitive now that online play is available?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
yeah, I do. Not only because of the online aspect, but also the replay feature. Any time some crazy glitch happens, the players can SD to end the match and save the video of it, as long as it's under 3 minutes. This will allow us to discover things a lot quicker than Melee allowed. Now, for something like a Melee's SWD, people can study the replay and try to recreate the glitch.

Those two things will make Brawl grow quicker than Melee I imagine. Right now it's hard for people to see the potential though since they're used to/expect Melee. Especially for anyone who's main was drastically changed where you have to relearn everything, like Falco or Samus.

But yeah, like I was saying about IceKid & his ICs, there's already some pretty slick stuff being discovered.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Anyone who says brawl requires more mindgames than melee never really played melee.

just look at one example from melee--trying to guess how fox is going to approach:

Fox can approach from the ground with any one of his attacks. Fox's attacks have different priorities and different advantages to them, but we'll keep it basic with grab, dash attack, shine and smash
  1. he grabs which goes right through shields but otherwise isn't fantastic. Necessary for most characters to have to get around shield spam.
  2. he dash attacks most character's shields, they can't SG but they can jump out and punish, it also goes through many character's DD away.
  3. he shines and can WD out before getting punished for it. It is punishable by using a disjointed attack/outprioritizing/hitting him when he's not in his 1 frame invulnerability.
  4. he smashes and can be SGed if he spaces wrong or can also be DDed around.
To punish these attacks you can shield which punishes 2 and 4, DD around them which punishes 3 and 4, spotdodge which punishes 1 and 4, jump over them which punishes 1 (and 2 and 3 depending on character). Not to mention just in general whacking him with a high priority move before he gets a chance to come in which is difficult because of fox's ability to change his momentum so quickly.

In brawl, he's got three of those options, and no others from the ground. They function basically the same as in melee, (idk if fox's dash attack is difficult to SG still but anyways).

To punish them, you can shield which punishes 2/3, DD around them...? what's DDing?, spotdodge which punishes 2 of 3, or jump over them which gets around 2/3 but doesn't really lead to punish. (Note: In these situations the advantage goes to the person waiting. Brawl is going to be one hell of a campy game.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for aerials, fox in melee can SH FH or FHDJ to attack you, most characters have several ways around them or to punish fox for jumping but if they guess wrong, they get punished. In brawl you can guess for all 3 of them and not have to worry about fox FFing an aerial. What's he going to do afterwards? combo you? HAH.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Brawl is still fun, but let's be honest with ourselves. To use metaphors like Fred enjoys so much, it's like we've gone from playing chess to checkers.

and checkers is a kids game.

now don't think i'm totally closed to brawl, i'm looking for things which are going to open up options like what we discovered in melee. I'm looking forward to being able to play brawl where there is a lot of options available. But for now, they aren't, and the fact there is so many lag cancels missing makes me doubt the options ever will really be there. Regardless brawl is fun for now, not as much fun as melee, but maybe it will grow on me.

Top Bottom