• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VaNz Stuff.. about Peach (Tactical Discussion)

PandaCobo

Smash Apprentice
OK so after watching lots of matches against Marth. It seems the best way to edgeguard him is just keep mixing it up with turnips (such as throwing them, using them to grab ledge, dropping close to ledge, etc..) basically try to keep the marth on their toes. Is that correct?

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
OK so after watching lots of matches against Marth. It seems the best way to edgeguard him is just keep mixing it up with turnips (such as throwing them, using them to grab ledge, dropping close to ledge, etc..) basically try to keep the marth on their toes. Is that correct?
For the most part, yes. Grabbing the ledge is also really good and then you just punish is up B if he couldnt sweetspot. Mix that into the turnip stuff. Also if you are edgeguarding him well, try picking up on his double jump patterns and you can snipe him out early instead of guessing and scare him into doing dumb things.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but I rewatched Me vs Slox and gathered some notes together(Very unorganized, just kind of jot down things) , can someone answer my last question/ add to what I think went wrong?

Everytime he attacks, I either nair or bair Oos; not utilizing WD OOS options. Trying to use Dsmash to trade; cannot CC Falco’s dair. When I am recovering(middle of stage), I am always bairing on the way down. I should try to just recover normally, mixing it up with: Bair, Dair, Airdodge, Parasol, regular float back to the stage.
To edgeguard an illusion, stay grounded or react and float. Don’t initially float. Whenever Slox had invincibility, I immediately shield and roll. Focus on moving around more. I generally shield too much or too early. DI out more. Grab more and setup more into grab. Dash attack sparingly unless you are punishing something or out of a tech chase. BAD SHIELDING. Bad tech habits; always rolling away from from Slox, need to tech more. Also try to incorporate shield angling towards falco’s attacks(Though I shield too much to begin with.) What do I do when Falco gets on the stage with a double laser?

I also notice that I mainly approach with FC Fair because of fear of lasers, what other mixups on approaches should I do? Or should I approach less? In that case, would I need a more versatile OOS game?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
powershield everything

I started not floating a lot because they have started predicting and countering with pivot up tilts or whatever so I do passing bairs and stuff sometimes

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
For Ryobeat

:45 Not sure how I feel about approaching a grounded Peach with a float fair. I think the grounded Peach is stronger in this case, as she has options to stuff this (nair up into you, dash attacking under you as he did, etc). I think a defensive fair here would've been better for controlling that area. Especially since you had center stage.

:50 He pulls a turnip, jumps, and you shield. Not good. Shielding turnips in the ditto limits your options and let's her approach you for free. Mobility is a much better defense against turnips, so maybe dashing away from it, or trying to catch it yourself was better. If you're going to shield, don't stay in for as long as you did.

:57 Not sure what you wanted when you jumped, but in this position, a better defense would've been to stay grounded. Jumping when Peach is around that distance to you isn't good.

1:11 Again, you approach a grounded Peach and get punished.

1:19 An instance where the rule can be broken. He saw you pulling a turnip and hit you. Going for something as laggy as a turnip pull when Peach is close to you (whether on the ground or in the air) is a no-no.

As the first stock ends, it seems like another issue you're having is coming down in the ditto. I'm not sure how you should solve this exactly, but you need to be more aware of where he is looking to hit you as you come down. And stop trying to attack him as you come down so much. (3:04 is an example)

1:37 Same thing again.

2:10 As he faded back, you shouldn't have gone forward with that fair.

2:49 You know better.

When you're a stock down in the ditto, the other Peach is going to love trading. You have to avoid that at all costs. I noticed around here that you were netting trades. Being this far behind, you shouldn't move so far into her when you attack (like 2:52)

3:14 Do you see? Two issues compounded here: You went in for the fair when he faded back (you had an advantage in float timer, so you could've just waited a bit), and when you missed the fair you instantly shielded. Shielding when Peach is above you...not good.

3:21 I'm not sure why you jumped after he landed. You could've dashdance grabbed the fair, or downsmashed it, or done other things besides jumping vs a grounded Peach (even if he was in landing lag). And then you proceed to sit in shield and then you roll and get downsmashed.

3:35 He's just waiting for you to swing at this point, as you've represented so far this match that you're willing to do so before he does, and then he hits you.

4:31 Not sure why you stalled after the turnip. You could've faired him. Then you faded into him after regrabbing the turnip...why? It seems like a weird decision.

4:45 More shielding.

Edgeguarding in the ditto is all about funneling Peach to the ledge, then punishing what she gets up with. A well spaced/timed float fair will punish pretty much anything she tries to do from the ledge.

4:51 And more. It let him restrict your options and got a panic response from you, which he then punished

6:01 There are two instances here where you aerial in and then shield right after, during your lead, and get punished for both

6:31 Attacking grounded Peach again.

So, I'm not sure how to wrap this up...I kind of wrote a lot...but basically, the ditto is just about good decision making, as Mafia said. Bad decisions add up and put momentum in the hand of the opponent. You don't seem comfortable when you're putting moves out, and shield after a lot of them because you recognize that the spacing is bad, or that you're open for punish. However, shielding, in a lot of cases, makes you punishable in a place where you wouldn't be had you moved instead. You've got to stay mobile.

The thing with aggression in this matchu is that you want to control the pace and stay in her face so she can't set up float, pull turnips, and so that you kee control of center stage. Peach loves the center and in the ditto, keeping it is a really good way to win. However, you often approached when Ben had advantage over you (like when he was on the ground and you were above him, or when you were both floating at an even height and you swung first). It's important to know that sometimes you don't need to chase them, but to just control your space.

Ultimately, it's a matchup that you have to play often to get comfortable in, but I hope this helps in giving some idea on why you got hit (I basically just looked at when you got hit and why).

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Thank you ShroudedOne! I understand what you are saying. If you could tell, how did I lose the lead in the second match? (I was ahead for most of the match and lost, what generally happened.)

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I felt like you lost that set because your reaction to most situations was "do something"
Which is bad if 1) you don't know the matchup and 2) you don't actually know what to do
it took the form of you doing low float approaches and nicely overshot, though badly timed dash attacks
keep in mind that when you're watching that set it looks like a series of reactions but that "he did something, I'mma do something!" tendency makes you play really desperate in a matchup that rewards the player who waits longer
Like, idk, I know we're all giddy to go play the freakin game but the reaction to that "I dunno what to do" feeling should be to wait for them to do something, because then you're forcing them to, well, do something, and it's always gonna be easier to get a hit on your terms than it is on theirs unless you're a super aggro top level player like mango or armada.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You basically lost the lead to bad decisions. After you got him to his third stock and he respawned, you just shielded under him, then rolled and he grabbed you for it. Then you dair in and shield again. Then you try to attack him while he's grounded (6:09). Then more shielding at 6:15. There isn't really a "You got comboed here" or "You messed up this thing here," it's just a list of smaller things that add up.

You had a smaller lead when you both had two stocks, but you kind of just ran into his moves and lost it. :\

Yeah, there were a lot of times where if you had just waited, you would've gotten more out of the situation, like Mafia said.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice guys c: I will try to improve more and get more videos if I can. If anyone has videos, I'll critique them if you'd like :3

Edit: How do you guys feel about Peach using shield drops?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
absolutely necessary, it just feels too good to reverse the situation on a falco/ox that is pressuring you.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Thats what I would think; but since she is floaty its kind of slow and I feel like it wont be too much of a threat; would floatyness make a difference?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yeah, i said that but in reality you can just float backwards..char with minimal risk for going offstage horizontally like jiggs & peach can just float and still maintain a lot of their options for getting down. Armada often just floats and then chooses his option based on his opponent afterward. Still shield dropping is pretty cool

The Irish Mafia

Float oos to fastfall through platform is easymode shield drop

dope boys know

I've always found wding on/off the platform to be more useful than shield dropping, adjusting your positioning is godlike. Nair/float oos is op anyway, you rarely don't get to win trades vs a spacie who's challenging your shield

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
MacD , do you have any video of you doing this/ can you get one? Because I always feel like its too slow to put in, yet Mafia says floating OOS is better.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing it; not sure the implication of it in a real match. I find that I'm really slow with the aerial out of drop... and if I manage to do it right away, all can get is an uair rather than a Nair on the guy on the platform

MT_

Smash Ace
Sup Peach boards! Marth main here picking up Peach for fun and also for finding out what it's like to not have options. Just had a MM against Houston's resident Falco player; would anyone be able to offer me critique? http://www.twitch.tv/noc0002/b/378267234?t=1h38m20s

There are still some technical things I need to work out with Peach but I think I started struggling a lot with what to do when Falco is above Peach (using the top platform as a means to approach) because Peach's dash dance isn't quite as fast. Also looking for reliable ways to edgeguard firebird sweetspot to the ledge. Also have no idea what I'm doing with turnips. Also definitely didn't counterpick FD like an idiot lol.

In any case, feel free to point out all my flaws; there are probably some huge glaring issues with my Peach so feel free to point those out as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Not feeling like watching something for critic purposes right now (Xyzz@ganbaranai :D), but as for your questions:

If you're sure about his approach timing you can up smash right through anything he can do when coming at you from above. Downside is of course that up smash isn't active that long and has quite the punishable ending lag.
So... it's easier to not be in a position he can drift to while falling at you and hit him after he whiffs. If he instead chooses to stay above you, use the time to get a turnip, throw it in a way that will limit his options and try to cover the rest yourself in order to get a hit in.

Edgeguarding:
If you have the time, you can snipe his firebird start up with a turnip. In some cases you'll have to be right behind the turnip and hit him with an aerial once more (or continue the edge guard in some other fashion), but in others he'll die from just the turnip. Normal turnips are beaten by firefox, but stitch faces deal enough damage to go through, so if you've got one of those you can throw it in his path for hilarious results.
If you are sure about the sweetspot an edge hog is of course super good, and peach is a really good character for tricking people into going for the sweetspot only to beat them to the ledge, because you can just float there and threaten to bair, and then just let go of float and grab the ledge instead.
Floating just above the stage (watch Armada (or any decent Peach player) for the exact spacing) and dairing them back off is also really good. If they hold up, they'll be in prime position for a nair, if they DI down you have several options:
- repeat the process until either of you two messes up
- grab a turnip and throw it down after the next iteration (drawing and instantly throwing it down is too slow).
- edgehog them once you are sure they are in a position where they can't make it back to the stage again
- nair them for the kill if they can't sweetspot from their position.
If you are unsure about the last part learn the angles of fire fox that are illegible due to snapping and the distance it travels, then you will be able to tell. Also: Battlefield is really friendly to us in that regard because it takes away their option to ride the wall, so they practically never can be ambiguous whether they sweetspot or go for the stage. But on other stages there's enough positions where they have to go straight up, because the slightest allowable angling to the side will still leave them short of reaching the ledge.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so if the fox is firefoxing at an angle, does the hitbox from the fire only block turnips along the path he is traveling? I just wanted to confirm whether you can hit him with turnips despite the hitbox being out if you aim it well

while i'm at it I had another question

Can fair outrange Link's up B's as an edgeguard?

Just wondering if I can really edgeguard his up B without hogging or whether his sweetspot plus the huge hitbox on his up b should protect him done correctly.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I'm inclined to say that with regular turnips you can just hit him out of the start up but not once he starts moving as I've never seen that happen.
So if it's possible, it's probably impractical (:

MT_

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips Xyzz. I'm still not sure about how to deal with Falco on a top platform but I'll see if I can figure it out. It will probably have to involve me figuring out how to use turnips in any meaningful fashion lol.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
isn't dealing with falco on the top platform just about covering him coming down and pulling turnips and throwing it at him? Armada just likes to zone under the platform with Float nairs a lot, but I don't know. Oh there is one match where leffen attempts it and armada just hits him with umbrella over and over. And another where he tries to move between the platforms camping for 1-2 stocks but ends up getting up slightly and then trading with armada so it stays even. After a stock or two he gives up on camping peach with falco. Anyway there aren't many falco vs armada matches from leffen so you should be able to find it. The umbrella stuff though was against his fox I think

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
If you can anticipate when/how he wants to jump (for example, they like full jumping to the top platform if they feel cornered at the sides), FJ nair covers that area really well. Most Falcos eventually come down with something, so just be patient and punish that. You can bait this with faking turnip pulls, or shorthops, or just moving in and out of the area that he can get to fastest (usually with dair). You can catch him moving from side to top platform with uair/nair as well.

Jumping into him at low/mid percents is situational but OK as well. If he dairs you while you're in the air, you can get to the ground before he does (without being forced to tech), and downsmash him.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
People who claim to retire are the oens who always come back. I'm more afraid of those who gradually play less and less :D

Well, what do you want to hear? Of course it's kinda sad to see you quit, since your matches are quite enjoyable to watch (powershields, fsmashes <3 <3 :D)... but ultimately only you know if you have the time and motivation to play melee.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I haven't played since the tournament in Texas and there's no one to really play with here in MD/VA. Without Armada I don't know how to get better and there's not many people in the region to challenge me to force me to get better, not that we play that often

Plus life is starting to get filled up with my different leagues (karaoke, kickball, maybe rugby) and yoga and being a fulltime homosexual. Plus I am too old for this.

MacD

i mean that's what happened to me mostly. i only go to hang out with people and might as well play when i'm there. aka alan forces me to enter when i didn't even know there was a tourney

just do what vanz and i do, randomly post snipes at people but otherwise who cares

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
I retired Smash for a good 4-5 years before I picked it up again. I wish I had started earlier, missed out on a lot of Peach discovery and training. All them Peach tactics haven't been updated for so long. :(

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
LOL. running out of good peaches :p but now we still Bladewise and Vwins. I could live with that.

Edit: Doh, in regards to not playing anyone, how do you think Armada felt? He didnt lose a set in Europe in 2 years and still wanted to get better. But still, its your choice.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
DoH, I'd really wish you don't quit. You're one of the Peaches whom I watched to motivate me to train harder and better. I personally think there's a long road ahead of you to keep moving on. The thing with Armada, I feel, is that he practically triumphed over everybody and was the absolute top berserker when he decided to retire. Winning a national tournament would certainly help. :D But if life has its bigger responsibilities that need to be taken care of, the choice is up to you.

In other news, how does the whole thing work when Peach does some kind of a short hop w/ a Bair then lands to the ground immediately? I seem to do it by accident a lot, but since I don't know what I'm doing in all honestly, I'd like to learn what I'm doing. Some players I see do it so fast that they can do 2 Bairs (landing on the ground and doing another one) within 60 frames.

VA

Smash Hero
i'm going to keep playing. armada dying/whatever only gives me more motivation to be america's next top peach model or whatever he was.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I just feel like I've plateau'd for a while and don't really get any better, and without people better than me to push me forward it's like, what is the point?

Top Bottom