• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I definitely cant go now, but i need beta and sharky to go and start rebuilding the community.

Just please PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, dont blow anyone out and intentionally 3 stock embarass people. Be nice to them when you win and give some tips. If you embarass hem they wont come back

:phone:

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I definitely cant go now, but i need beta and sharky to go and start rebuilding the community.

Just please PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, dont blow anyone out and intentionally 3 stock embarass people. Be nice to them when you win and give some tips. If you embarass hem they wont come back

Lol, it'd have to be a 5-stock @ this tourney :p

I thought everyone quit, but it seems like I'll have to try be seeing familiar faces after all.

Good Luck, Reunion MMs?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I coulda told you guys that! 13370 did you ever get a chance to play mother3?
I just got mother1 but haven't had time to play it

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Yeah me an Dudu play @ Bing lol.

Nah, I want to but my conscience prevents me from getting a ROM to patch :/ I really want to play it though.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Just wondering, how many tourneys would we need anyway to happen before 10th BEST in order for a circuit to happen? I can see Rochester hosting a few but if we don't secure venues and plan well the opportunity can just slip out of our hands.

Edit: Also 1337, I'm really excited to see you're still brawling! :D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the way things are going now, whether you like it or not, smash is going to have to integrate itself with the other fighting games to get anything really substantial off the ground.

imo anyway.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
I bought a like-new gc controller at some thrift store for about Y780. They're also selling gcs (no cords) for something around Y440 yen and complete gcs for ~Y2400.

Also, Brawl is still ~Y5500 last time I went to a store.

Nice to see you're alive, 1337-0 :D

x13mako

Smash Ace
I bought a like-new gc controller at some thrift store for about Y780. They're also selling gcs (no cords) for something around Y440 yen and complete gcs for ~Y2400.

Also, Brawl is still ~Y5500 last time I went to a store.
With the exception of the 70 bucks for brawl that's pretty good.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yo guys, feel free to show up anytime Saturday, but we're starting at 11AM. BRING SETUPS.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANTLY...

I'm looking for people to go to FC and I just realized I can't drive either. George MAY be willing to drive, if he even goes and I'm figuring that out with him right now...But whoever is interested and can actually go, post up. We already have me and Juni and possibly (Hopefully) George. It's gonna be the trip of a lifetime.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
juni's going to a national? lol i dont even know what to say to that.

I was thinking about going to FC, but after I saw all the brawl hate in the thread i basically said, 'screw that tournament'

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, how many tourneys would we need anyway to happen before 10th BEST in order for a circuit to happen? I can see Rochester hosting a few but if we don't secure venues and plan well the opportunity can just slip out of our hands.
Not counting a championship, I was thinking we want at least three tournaments, but we do need it more spread out than Troy and Rochester. If we managed four, like one each in Troy, Rochester, Syracuse and Binghamton, then the championship, that would be ideal. If we had Troy, Rochester and Syracuse before a championship, that's the minimum.

Tyrant, you mentioned you could keep score or something. Are you interested in setting up the ranking/points system? I'd like to talk with you about getting this done. If anyone else is interested or has ideas, say something or let me know.

In order for the circuit to happen, I need the following things to happen first:

1. Other tournaments with confirmed dates and venues.
Rochester
Syracuse
Binghamton?
Albany?

2. Ranking/points system.

3. Consistent rulesets across events.

If we get all that, then I can update 10th BEST with details and post 9th BEST. The earlier we can finalize this, the more time everyone has to plan travel. Also, there's now the possibility that 9th BEST is having a date change, not sure at the moment to when, so I'll find out what's going on hopefully later today.

Edit: added 3 and 9th BEST is now currently September 8. I don't expect this to change, and it can work well for a first tournament for the circuit.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
9th BEST - September 8
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325871

I'll update that and 10th BEST with circuit details once we decide if we can even do one. (Still need others confirmed and more details.)

One thing I was thinking about doing for the circuit was allocating a percentage of the pot of each event to those traveling to the championship. Since we want people to be able to make it, I'd rather give them the opportunity to do so than give all of that extra money to winners. Of course, we can't quite do that so well without the circuit.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
What do you guys think about having a smash tournament at the regular fighting game series tournament that we have in Syracuse.

I think I can convince the guy running it to put smash on the roster, but I need all of you to go to this facebook link, and post on it asking for brawl.

I need to convince him that a Brawl tournament can pull actual numbers, as opposed to 5 man KoF tournaments and lame crap like that.

https://www.facebook.com/events/374560669276066/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im going to call the TO of the syracuse tournament i linked to above and talk to him about running brawl at his tournament in November, but before i do, i need to know how many entrants there were for brawl at the last best.

Also there will be some timing conflicts because i know how smash tournaments go and i know how much time ill be working with for the Dustbowl event. Im focusing on only running brawl this time. And maybe down the road getting melee too. But with the time im going to have, im either going to have to only run singles. If you really want doubles too I can do that, but i will probably have to make one or both events 2 stock. Ill also keep mk legal this time but probably ban him moving forward.

What would you guys rather have?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
8th BEST: 17 Melee, 34 Brawl
7th BEST (more recent): 11 Melee, 14 Brawl
I think we average about 20 Brawl, 15 Melee but it fluctuates. There's little overlap in events, meaning only a few entered both.

I can only speak from running a bunch of Troy tournaments now, but it seems our region's general low attendance and being spread out has made Brawl + Melee events common, so circuit events should probably be both games to stay consistent.

I tried Brawl 2 stock once at RPI's Genericon in around February/March, and it ran really smoothly for having 30 people and 3 tvs. The time per match really matters when you're dealing with randoms that might walk out at any time.

As a side-note, I honestly prefer single-game tournaments, but I haven't actually run one. If I picked one, I'd do a Melee because I only stay involved in Melee. There just hasn't been significant interest in traveling to Troy for only Melee so far.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Good news. I got smash in for the dustbowl!

When I was talking to the TO, he said his only main gripe was that he went to MLG Columbus the year smash was on the roster, and he didnt like how disrespectful the community was. I told him in this region if you can deal with me at your last 4 tournaments, then you dont have anything to worry about because im the biggest personality in this area.

So as long as everyone shows up, and you guys arent cussin up a storm (its a family store) and breaking stuff, and generally dont act crazy, which I know you guys dont, then Smash should end up being a permanent fixture in the Dustbowl series.

So everyone go to this link https://www.facebook.com/events/374560669276066/ and click to say that youre attending.

also, this even is going to be Brawl singles only for the time being. if we get enough support, Ill look into running doubles or melee at future events.

Lastly, rules are going to be fairly tame from me, 3 stock, mk legal. but there will be no starter/cp stages, matches will be all struck from for first match. probably going to be about a dozen stages.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
GJ goggles. Ill attend just to help out smashs numbers. As far as a syracuse tourny for the circuit, we are working on it. Sharkys in talks with the guys over at voltage. Though atleast from the impression I got it might not work out having a syracuse tourny.

edit: I have no pref for mk legality, but you know me Id prolly back a conservative stagelist.

Sharky

Smash Master
can't we add dustbowl to the circuit? Also sorry I've been busy lately, haven't gotten in touch with mike yet about a voltage tourney. I might stop by there on thursday and try to just talk with him in person. Beta, Erk, are you guys free during the day, perhaps to come over with me?

Top Bottom