• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Woah, lol. I don't think informing people of ways of better ways to make money is a sign of elitism, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Would you call me an elitist if I recommended a particular strategy to someone that would help him/her do better in a Brawl match? Think about it that way but instead of a video game strategy, I'm referring to a job, and instead of doing better in Brawl, I'm referring to better income.

If anything, I feel video games (for someone at my skill level at least) should be played for fun before money (not implying that the added cash benefit isn't nice). Perhaps the only things not needed are the unnecessary overreactions :p.

On another note, I will also mm you, but only if you think you are cool and unserious enough to compete with me.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
To me, it seemed like you were saying that you were better than them, because you had a job and made money. I guess I misread that. Sorry.

It's also that I highly value the interaction of skill, and I don't exactly think that people who write Melee off as "just a game" really value that.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
For the Sonic Snake matchup, I honestly can't visually see in my head a way for Sonic to get through nade and jab spamming. It sounds kind of cookie cutter, but doesn't Snake at least nullify all of Sonic's spin dash attacks by simply holding down the A button? Throw in the idea that Sonic won't be able to kill great Snake players until ridiculously high %'s, I'm thinking like 180%-200%ish on average, as bad as that sounds, whereas Snake can kill him at like 100-120% fairly easily. Now I watched those videos with you and Fatal, Goggles, and I think Fatal was actually doing you a favor by approaching you. Even then, he still won pretty comfortably.

So go ahead and give your counter arguments, I actually want to be wrong on this and want to believe that our Sonic players can beat top Snake players.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
For the Sonic Snake matchup, I honestly can't visually see in my head a way for Sonic to get through nade and jab spamming. It sounds kind of cookie cutter, but doesn't Snake at least nullify all of Sonic's spin dash attacks by simply holding down the A button? Throw in the idea that Sonic won't be able to kill great Snake players until ridiculously high %'s, I'm thinking like 180%-200%ish on average, as bad as that sounds, whereas Snake can kill him at like 100-120% fairly easily. Now I watched those videos with you and Fatal, Goggles, and I think Fatal was actually doing you a favor by approaching you. Even then, he still won pretty comfortably.

So go ahead and give your counter arguments, I actually want to be wrong on this and want to believe that our Sonic players can beat top Snake players.
Run up --> Shield grabs work very well for me in this matchup. And as far as grenades and such Sonic's mobility helps a lot to use them against snake.

If Snake is offstage Sonic can really rack up damage with his superior air game.

Sonic is so mobile that he can take really good advantage of Snake's vulnerability during his recovery.

To be honest this is one of my favorite match-ups.

Sharky

Smash Master
^this all makes sense to me. Snake has a hard time with mobile characters in general. I'm also a fan of the snake mu

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Run up --> Shield grabs work very well for me in this matchup. And as far as grenades and such Sonic's mobility helps a lot to use them against snake.

If Snake is offstage Sonic can really rack up damage with his superior air game.

Sonic is so mobile that he can take really good advantage of Snake's vulnerability during his recovery.

To be honest this is one of my favorite match-ups.
as for all this, it does work, on scrub snakes like me.
the run up -> shield grab will work if they spam jab, but no one spams it because of that.

good snakes dont get off stage at low percents...

pretty much you guys dont have a huge amount of experience playing "great" snake players. mine is alright for people who dont know the matchup, but if you guys were going to play against (in this area) fatal, bizkit, mikeray (pretty much just new england) then they actually know how to play snake.

they nkow how to grenade camp, how to tech chase, how to space.
i do not, tyrant does not (although your snake is definitely not bad), and cura doesn't. cura probably has the best snake out of all three of us i think, i just feel like i know more "tricks", i just can't pull them off in game.

tl;dr NY snake players suck. play NE and then tell me you like the match up >_>

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Very well, you'll have to show me then. TGS and Goggles mm my snake next time I see you both. Actually, just friendlies with TGS since I'm sure you'll try in friendlies where apparently Goggles will not unless there's money involved.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Very well, you'll have to show me then. TGS and Goggles mm my snake next time I see you both. Actually, just friendlies with TGS since I'm sure you'll try in friendlies where apparently Goggles will not unless there's money involved.
Sure thing!

MLG was supa hype. a 16 year old just won.

Edit: musicvideo in URL. hooraaayyyyy B Major. I V IV vi. lol
What game?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
they nkow how to grenade camp, how to tech chase, how to space.
i do not, tyrant does not (although your snake is definitely not bad), and cura doesn't. cura probably has the best snake out of all three of us i think, i just feel like i know more "tricks", i just can't pull them off in game.

But I can tech chase and space ._. (I'm definitely not strong with grenades though)

And isn't it a contradiction to say my Snake is not bad, but NY Snake players suck? :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Ive been over this with you already.

Full charge spin charge beats snakes jab.

sonic kills snake at a weird range. If snake goes high to recover from offstage, he might get up aired at the top of the screen at like 90. Or he could not die until a stale back air at 210. its all very situational, but due to his weakness in recovering its much easier to land a kill shot on him rather then... say... lucario. Also damage racking is much easier, since once you get him offstage he usually has to damage himself to recover.

Camping with nades is very effective against spindash, but against sonic its very much like diddy, where the items are only useful if youre better at them than your opponent. And I actually pride myself on my item usage skill. So unless youre REALLY good as snake, against me your nades are usually going to hit you more than they will me.

From the snakes perspective killing sonic with snake is of a similar difficulty as killing lucario with sonic. Sonic is quick and mobile enough to if he so chooses, avoid pretty much all of snakes moves, minus f tilt and nades. and if nades are the only thing youre going to hit with, im going to live until about 160-170 because theyre going to be stale.

I actually like it when snakes play overly defensive, because it makes it easier for me to limit their options.

good snakes dont get off stage at low percents...
rofl, watch a vid of any snake ever vs any ddd ever and see how often snake gets put offstage. yea thats an obvious example but ddd isnt the only character that can do that.

pretty much you guys dont have a huge amount of experience playing "great" snake players. mine is alright for people who dont know the matchup, but if you guys were going to play against (in this area) fatal, bizkit, mikeray (pretty much just new england) then they actually know how to play snake.

Rofl. I play MikeRay and Bloodcross's Snakes on the ladder all the time. And the Fatal vid I showed you was from Pound 5. And that was in losers after I went last game, last stock 140% against Bizkit. Ive played those people. And the matchup really isnt that bad.

Its really hard to get in, but once you get the first hit, i go to town on snakes.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Rofl. I play MikeRay and Bloodcross's Snakes on the ladder all the time. And the Fatal vid I showed you was from Pound 5. And that was in losers after I went last game, last stock 140% against Bizkit. Ive played those people. And the matchup really isnt that bad.

Its really hard to get in, but once you get the first hit, i go to town on snakes.
like i said before, mikeray has an okay snake, and BC shouldnt even play snake >_> he has the MU experience from playing them but hes def a falco/mk guy. its like watching koolaid play snake. he "can" play snake, but its just not the same.

and im really interested to see this actually. i have alot of faith in fatal's and bizkits snakes. like i cant honestly believe you would do THAT amazing against them. although im pretty sure fatal doesnt like sonics to begin with either way...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
fatal 2-0d me.
bizkit was 2-1.

but if you watch that one video I got of me vs fatal, all 5 games were just as close, if not closer than that one.

the main problem is that end of the game stuff where you have to find a way to get in and hit him with something without getting hit by an up tilt that beats/outranges most of your moveset.

Its going to be painfully difficult since Ultimate marvel just came out, but Ill find some time to try and get some practice in and get back to my prime so I can beat people and get out of pool at pound.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
fatal 2-0d me.
bizkit was 2-1.

but if you watch that one video I got of me vs fatal, all 5 games were just as close, if not closer than that one.
thats understandable, seeing as there is always randomness and variables in matches.

for example, there was this one tournament i played against this goggles kid and he 2-0 me in bracket, but then later on we did this mm and i 2-0 him... but he still seems to think hes a god in comparison.

so i can see why you think you are so good in comparison to fatal and bizkit....

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Ive been over this with you already.
I'm dumb at this game and need to be told stuff multiple times until I know what you're talking about loll.

Its going to be painfully difficult since Ultimate marvel just came out, but Ill find some time to try and get some practice in and get back to my prime so I can beat people and get out of pool at pound.
What is pound? Did you mean Apex?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats understandable, seeing as there is always randomness and variables in matches.

for example, there was this one tournament i played against this goggles kid and he 2-0 me in bracket, but then later on we did this mm and i 2-0 him... but he still seems to think hes a god in comparison.
Who have you beaten besides me?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
In all honesty you guys should really stop comparing d!cks, none of you have beaten anyone good in tournament anyways.

I will money match all of you with my snake.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
When I see our players play snake, I think they're sandbagging. I don't think we even have any snakes.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I really thought Neil only ever used snake to sandbag against Dr. G or something.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Didnt he play snake in tourney against you, granted this was probably a while back, around the time when jesse still played but I thought he did. and there was a point in time where he did seriously practice snake.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I bet I can get decent with Snake, but I'm sure I'll just stick with my vastly inferior character. I got dat pride.

In all honesty you guys should really stop comparing d!cks, none of you have beaten anyone good in tournament anyways.

I will money match all of you with my snake.
Free. And, regardless if you quit competitively or not, we still need to do that entire roster vs. my lucario mm. So I guess Snake will be included in that.

Edit: Goggles, the damn Sonic vs. Lucario vids! I've been coming on smashboards more frequently than I've ever been hoping that one day you'll post them. Yeah, I'm still a bit salty over those losses, but nobody can take away from the fact that those were all amazing sets.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ill actually retract that statement lie is good win. Good job

But my snake would touch that butt

MetalPat

Smash Ace
All them New Englanders name-searching hardcore.
for real, dat name search.
also im agreeing with you cura. my snake isnt anywhere near par, and im not trying to argue that it is.

im just argueing that goggles is 10000 times ****tier than he thinks he really is.

hes a good player, but he is far from the god he thinks he is.

Top Bottom