• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Minic

Smash Apprentice
i mean ill try and make it but depends on the work load that weekend. Sunday is a really odd tourney day/

Well as far as dante's move set goes, he has maybe a lil more "moves" than what the average character has. With a character like a ryu, his fireball move changes speed depending on what strength button u press, his upper changes height and probably damage. From what i've seen dantes move's differ completely depending on the strength button u press. So I'd say he has at most 3 times more attacks that most characters but that cutting it. In any case, he's definitely on my team.

I'm thinkng Dante, Akuma, and Mag****ingneto

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all I know is that Im going to main viewtiful Joe because he is freaking amazing. and x-23 because she is fine as hell and I love her character.

my third character is going to be one of the following.

Super Skrull. Cause hes a BAMF and I love his theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y35Lew0k1jE
Spider-Man, because I mained him in MvC1, and his theme song makes me super nostalgic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKFjNVZkHU&feature=related
Morrigan, Because she is fine as hell, and Ive always played her as a side character in every vs game she was in. It would be nice to main her for once. And as a bonus, for one of her assists, she just comes in, gives you a third of a super bar and leaves, which is amazing.
Hsien-Ko, because shes seems like an amazingly unique character, (also, shes pretty hot too =D)
Akuma, Because I mained him in mvc1 and played him a lot in mvc2, and he was my first Street fighter main.
Viper, Ive always loved her moveset in SF, but i was never super technical so i didnt try to play her. so i think ill give her a shot now. (also, super effing gorgeous. im kinda noticing a trend here...)
Ryu. ill probably play him just to start the game, cause I believe that when starting a new fighting game, its best to start with the easiest to play character and then move on after you have the physics of the game down.
and dr. Doom just cus I mained him in Mvc2 (mostly out of necessity for his rock assist and general tier position) I dont expect ill play him much, now that I dont have do due to this game having better balence.

and yes, im going to the tourney.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I'll be at the tourney? Will I be the only dedicated Zero main for MvC3 in Rochester? **** YES! PUt that mofo on point all day. What you know about that ****? ZTD your entire fuggin team homies! I hope to god there are guard breaks and unblockable set ups.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Already seen some unblockables, mostly blockstrings to overheads with a low assist, but I haven't had hands-on time either, so there might be some of the opposite too.

Lol zero. I am happy that he doesn't look as hopelessly one dimensional (read: I'm mad) as his TvC counterpart, but dammit if they couldn't have used zero series zero. Also, I doubt you'd be the only zero player, he's kind of 1-2-3 free.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
in tvc, zero was the 2nd easiest character in the game, right behind ryu.

and so far the only thing I dont like about this game is the fact that everyone does such over the top damage. 3 on 3 matches are going to take like 90 seconds.

Tellin you, this game needs a megacrash.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/07/health-stamina-rankings-marvel-vs-capcom-3/
Sentinel - 1,300,000

Thor - 1,250,000

Hulk - 1,200,000
Haggar - 1,200,000
Tron Bonne - 1,200,000

She-Hulk - 1,150,000

Chris Redfield - 1,100,000
Taskmaster - 1,100,000
Wesker - 1,100,000

Captain America - 1,050,000
Spencer - 1,050,000

Dormammu - 1,000,000
Doctor Doom - 1,000,000
Ryu - 1,000,000
Super-Skrull - 1,000,000

Iron Man - 950,000
Morrigan - 950,000
Viewtiful Joe - 950,000
MODOK - 950,000
Wolverine - 950,000

Dante - 900,000
C. Viper - 900,000
Deadpool - 900,000
Hsien-Ko - 900,000
Spider-Man - 900,000

Felicia - 875,000

Chun-Li - 850,000
Magneto - 850,000
Storm - 850,000
Trish - 850,000

X-23 - 825,000

Amaterasu - 800,000
Zero - 800,000
Akuma - 800,000
Arthur - 800,000

Phoenix - 420,000
Dark Phoenix - 420,000

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Actually, rather than the damage being over the top, it's actually just that a huge %age of the cast is "less than average" HP.

Same thing in effect, but I thought I'd toss that out there.

Also, I'd call zero easier than ryu personally, but I guess if you consider that ryu's supers are ridiculously free, he'd pass zero. Zero's strings and combos are stupid though. And he's got grounded crossup-> grab, two simultaneously usable projectiles, an in general does stupid things. The fact he has that one combo super doesn't help either. It just makes him the ultimate easy meterfiend - to give your ryu three shoop da whoops.

Also, I have to admit, I giggle a little every time I see C. Viper go into an extended combo in mvc3. It feels so dirty after playing her SSFIV. Where my dumb seismo/flamekicks?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
game isnt even out yet and people have already found million damage combos for a ton of the characters in the game, which I assume is the average hp, even thought as you said, the majority of characters have less than that.

but in the spectrum of the combos Ive seen 100-300k really isnt that big of a health difference, like, at all. I mean, sentinels launcher alone does 120k.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes, I can't wait to buy all the $5 DLC characters on MVC3 that are still on the disk.

oh wait..

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I too think that the disc unlock is a sales model in bad taste, but I also have respect for the argument that it makes the company offering the game at non-jacked price (above console standard.) as well. Too bad that isn't really the case here, and it's just a way to simultaneously net full value and injure game resale value, which is obviously the real goal.

I get where a company would come from trying to stave off losses to resales, but picking and choosing what needs it is important. This is a mostly niche title, and the turnover rate of people that would buy copies isn't that low when you've got attachment bases to rely on.

Goggles:
Regarding the health, I personally think the game is a little fiendishly quick, but I'd say that sentinel isn't really a particularly good example. The dude is your donkey kong. He's huge and hits huge. He gets a little more HP, but large size often leads to longer combos (jump in starters, etc) in the first place, so I'd say it's legit. the pullback they have is that if you don't pull a bad assist, the combo limits itself at having to swap characters. Of course, we know losing one guy and still having is hardly a concession, because that can seriously bite you in the *** pretty easily.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

boy you know youre just going to pirate the game anyway so your already bout to be paying 50$ less than everybody else from jump street.
Nah that's only DS games at first through convenience of not bringing 10+ cases with me whenever I go somewhere, which is actually what I used to do. (even though I already own like 25+ DS game cartridges). Only Wii game I acquired and played was DKCR. I bought brawl, NSMBWii, and like 15 other Wii games new. Not gonna buy brawl again because someone missplaced or stole my copy.

I won't support games with underhanded DLC tactics. $5 per character is too much of a ripoff. If the talk about paying $5 for an unlock on your disk is true, then screw that. This is not the type of game where you can really ignore DLC.

Good DLC? Borderlands (except for Mad Moxxi because of lack of content). I think ME2 and some others are also worth it although I haven't played them.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So I have a dilemma regarding MVC3.

I am seriously considering playing the game competitively, for a few reasons. First off I've always liked MVC2 watching it, but never got into it cuz it would take away from my Melee practice. I'm reading spiderman comics and have gotten into the marvel universe a lot recently. I think the characters are awesome, the tag team aspect looks sick and like it would add depth, a lot of people around this area would play it meaning lots of tournies, people to practice with, goals to strive for, etc., AND because I eventually want to write a book on competitive gaming/fighting games someday down the line, picking up a popular fighting game would help me I think. I'm going to do it eventually, but right now might be a good time.

Those are my reasons for wanting to pick it up. In addition to those though, in a more overall sense there's another reason. I would LOVE to see my life become even more organized and more goal oriented. I would love to see my life look like this next year when we move into a house.

*Working at Panera as a manager by then
*Coming home and working out for an hour a day.
*Eating healthy
*Playing Melee and MVC3
*Chilling with friends in downtime

I feel like right now, I chill too much with friends and do small things that have no end goal in mind like MGS and other things. I feel like with MVC3 as something I'm working towards, that's one more goal to pursue. There are a few problems though.

1. It will take away from my Melee improvement. Hopefully it won't, but I can see that happening and I do NOT want that to happen.

2. I'll have to buy a PS3 and a Stick to practice by myself, because I love practicing tech skill in my room alone. As I get older and talk to more and more people, I relate it to someone who's addicted to working out. I just get an urge like I just have to haha.

3. When I go back to MCC, I'll have to drop the game because there just won't be enough time. I have to get rid of something and Melee's not going anywhere and working out is too important to drop.

4. I might always feel like I'm holding myself back because if I do pick the game up, I will not pursue it on a national level. As long as I'm the best in the region that's where I'll stop, as oppose to Smash where if I'm not the best in the world I will always crave for it. The problem though, is that I'm nervous that when I play it a lot and get "good," I will look at vids of other players from OOS and want to take them down, which will mean I'll start dedicating more time to it and neglecting other areas of my life.

All in all though, I've grown up a lot this year and I like how I kinda have things planned out. It's just a matter of, will I have enough fun with the game to want to play it a lot and go to tournies, and if so will I be willing to dedicate the time to it that is required to become a good player...hmm....

Don't mind me, just kinda talking out loud

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Solutions

Problem 1: Playing other fighting games makes you better at smash. I wrote this stupidly long thing on the sonic boards on some of the ways of how street fighter, blazblue and smash all relate to each other. Ill go back and find it if you want. But honestly, youll find that you become more akin to certain ideas and tactics and things through other games that will help you think of ways to make your smash game more innovative.

2. You already have 2 ps3s in the house. theres no need to get another one. same goes for sticks. And youll have plenty of time to practice tech skill. hell, I dont even live there and I find time to show up and practice stuff by myself in blazblue. But even with all that. Play controller, its better anyway and you wont have to worry about your 60$ stick not working right, or whatever what have you. Thats why yannick doesnt let anybody use his stick.

3. Im going up to MCC to play Blazblue today with Neil. Theres tons of people that play there and youll always have time to jump in a few rounds between classes to keep on the ball. You wont have to drop the game, youll actually have more chances to play it.

4. a. Your not going to be the best in the region. Thats going to be either Me, Minh, or Quang (Since you gotta realise the RIT street fighter crew is going to be going at this game just as hard as us.) So if you do plan to be the best in the region, your going to be national level anyway, regardless of whether you want to or whether you travel or whatever.
b. I cant help you with determining how much of you time you spend doing whatever. Thats a matter of your priorities that you are going to have to figure out yourself.

That being said, Im going to tell you to play it, simply because I could always use another pot filler when I start winning these tourneys. =P

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Playing and getting better in video games in general usually aids your overall skills/proficiency in learning. Other fighters shouldn't be an exception. It's still possible to play the other game in many short intervals also, like some sort of practice mode if short on time.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
Solutions

Problem 1: Playing other fighting games makes you better at smash. I wrote this stupidly long thing on the sonic boards on some of the ways of how street fighter, blazblue and smash all relate to each other. Ill go back and find it if you want. But honestly, youll find that you become more akin to certain ideas and tactics and things through other games that will help you think of ways to make your smash game more innovative.
This is the main reason why i would recommend you play mvc3 besides the facts that you'll have a blast playing it and practicing in the training room is so much better than in melee. just by playing any other fighter, it'll help all round with with skills that can be later applied to melee in some form or another. One day you might go back to playing melee after spending some time with MvC3 and see it in a different light, which could help you with that best in the world status, and last but not least it would provide huge amount of inspiration for your book. And somewhere down the future we definitely should plan a trip to go to EVO the biggest fighting game tournament in the world cuz you can't write your book without mentioning that. It's where the best moments in fighting game history are made.
Daigo Parry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU
Justin's one character comeback http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmc5ZepdVs
and **** ton more.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Cool guys good info to have. Thanks and lol goggles I was waiting for you to tell me I was gonna get stomped on. I will initially that's for sure. But I'm actually VERY excited to play MVC just for the fact to become the best at another game in the region. I did it with Melee, Brawl when I played as well and MVC3 looks way more fun to me than Brawl anyways. I say about a year or two with consistent practice with the game, getting stomped out for a while, and I'll be able to do it.

The only thing stopping me from excelling exponentially at Melee is because there's not really anyone here who can push me to a higher level. It's to the point now where I pretty much NEED exposure to new techniques and whatnot to get better. If I had that here, I'd be way better.

That being said, I feel in MVC3 I'll be able to be the best just due to that above statement.

Although you do seem very determined which is awesome...And why do you recommend me using a controller again? Everyone here tells me stick..

Also not to discourage you but it's hard for me to see anyone in this region becoming national level at MVC3. Everyone just kinda dabbles in games instead of going full force in them.

The only people I've seen/heard about being national level in anything that live in WNY are Jimmy for Starcraft when he lived here, if he still does, Gary for SF (from what I hear), San for Brawl definitely, me for Melee just barely at this point, Kyle and Neil to an extent for Brawl and JD for ITG. Oh and me for Pokemon :)

But enough with my ego stroking. The point is, I always try to analyze why people don't become ridiculous at any game here (Usually Melee or Brawl) and it usually comes down to one of three things: Lack of motivation, lack of attention, or the way they practice sucks.

Just saying at this point I don't see anyone here becoming national for MVC3, but if I see anyone being able to do it it probably is Kyle due to his motivation, which will in turn lead him to pursue learning and practicing, etc.

And Kyle, I would want my own PS3 because I love practicing tech skill alone in my room. It's a different world for me.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Controller is viable, but stick just feels right imo. <--- Edit: Nohomo.

Also, I can't wait till this MvC hype goes away. Won't take long.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'm not even that hype about it. I don't even know if I'm going to play it. I'm going to give it a chance but I feel like I'm just going to play and then like Melee better and go back lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well i remember way back when, you played street fighter 2 a bit with emblem lord, and you played controller then, so theres no point in learning a whole new scheme for a game you may or may not stick with, feel me?

not to mention, a lot of people that play stick, only play it because:

1. they grew up playing fighting games in the arcades so theyre already used to using sticks for games now.

2. for some stupid reason you get ostracised by majority of people for playing on the controller, which again, wont matter if you arent sure if you going to really get into it anyway.

oh and by the way guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5ghXdq6Z0&feature=related

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Duuuuuuuude, it's mvc3, vibe. Downtime between 2 and 3 was longer than melee->brawl, and there's basically zero disappointment in adjustments that've been made.

Like, I won't even touch mvc2 seriously because of how ****in dangerous getting hit is, but I'm still hype as **** for this.

Of course, I'm not really sure whether I'd rather play mvc3 or sf4 more competitively, but I'd say I'm more naturally skilled at mvc.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
well stick allows you to the to plink and double tap with ease which is kinda essential in games like sf4 cuz it lets you do links ezer which is a huge part of every characters bnb combos plus and they are pretty hard in that game. you could do fine without it, but the best punish combos incorporate a lot on links. So giving that up just for easiness is lazy. Sure goggles seems to have the motivation to be gdlk at mvc but his motivation in SF4 was kinda lacking, hence he stuck with controller or maybe he just liked it more. Ok ill just ask. why didn't you ever switch to stick goggles?

The switch to stick is something u need determination to actually pull it off. Being a pad player all my life playing tekken and Mvc1 on pad, i could play fine on pad. I played a lot worst in the arcade because it was only sticks. Arcade sticks were also a lot harder to get a hold of because no company really made a good one. You had to order parts and make a custom stick if you wanted a good one. Now though, you got a lots of sticks to chose from companies like hori or madcatz( which make awful controllers) which is making bank now because all of sudden they happened to make 1 good controller but that 1 good controller happen to come out when fighting games were back on the rise and it's popularity stem the creation of like 10 more sticks.

At the time i didn't like stick because i felt like i was doing commands slower and i kept jumping when doing quarter circle motions. Every1 is gonna jump trying to throw a fireball while they are starting out. Now this is probably due to muscle memory. Sure i knew how to do the command but the body part that was actually pulling it off would be your thumb if your a pad player, which just about every1 has some sort of muscle memory for if you grew up playing console games. Playing on stick would sorta be more like playing a fsp on a computer with but with more emphasis on controlling your wrist. you use your thumb but a lot less and in a different way. It emphasizes more on your forearm and wrist which, since i don't play many fsp's very often was new to me and hard. You have to develope the muscle memory for your wrist and forearm from a new starting point.

After a couple weeks after buying my first stick i notice i was able to pull off motions faster and was able to anti air ppl more frequently, not as frequently as pad but almost. The hardest part about learning stick was knowing that i could have won the match if i was using pad. I got into a habit of disconnecting my stick and plugging in my pad and rematching the dude i lost to just to see to it that i could beat him eazily with pad. As i result i came close to quitting stick a couple times. Eventually i scraped myself of some pride and learned to take the loses with less salt, just move on and play better next game. Besides, getting salty over online matches is sorta funny and dumb sometimes. Eventually i stopped johning about the controller i was using and focused more what i coulda done better, like was my punish the best one for this certain situation? and stop doing predictable ****. It's real ez to do that cuz street fighter lets you record your matches and review them. Im sure mvc3 will let you do the same. It took about three month's to finally be where i was at with a pad. Now im better on stick then pad. So in the end, a good investment, and it's more fun playing on stick i think plus you look more pro and less scruby but props to pro pad players like vangief and inthul. If you want my honest opinion, i think you'll do better on pad first starting out because you'll be more accustom to it, but i think you'll have more fun playing stick, but i can't say you'll become better on stick than you are on pad cuz it varies between players. In most cases ppl become better after playing stick than when they were playing pad. MvC3 wont include hard to do links from what i've seen, so more advance **** you can only do on stick wont be viable so in the end you decision.

So i ended up just ranting. I only ment to post that last section but it was kinda fun remember the good ol days.

altairian

Smash Lord
Playing and getting better in video games in general usually aids your overall skills/proficiency in learning.
There is much truth here. I honestly improved at brawl from playing league of legends. This was largely because I sucked so bad at brawl beforehand, but the point remains :p

Top Bottom