• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Just to insert my opinion for no real reason on this topic, If you're gonna do drugs, don't do them around me people. I don't care what you do in your spare time besides smash, It's all your choices. I don't try to impose my opinions on other people, and I don't have a good argument for either side. I personally don't smoke, and don't think others should be, but once again, its their choice.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
This argument doesn't really matter unless you all bring it to action. And seeing as though most people in our smash community aren't delving into politics quite yet or at all, this is all kinda futile. Everyone here who does drugs in this community will most likely continue. All those that don't will continue their path of sobriety.

edit: unless some people have a change of heart and decide to broadcast it in which we start this all over again.

So. Smash. Right.

Dahrem you going to AXS 2?

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Footnotes:

Tradition, ritual, and culture are "bad" reasons for needing to do something. Holistically copying functional lifestyles only works so well. More unbiased research needs to be done in order to fully understand some of the nutrition/drug/gray areas. That's why I'm interested in biochem, neurology, immunology, etc. Prohibitions inhibits that, or at least obfuscates it.

Goggles, your examples were kinda shoddy. Your point was better without them :p
1 Marriage is a societal construct and has been about land/money/power for a very long time. [think: dowry, kings n queens, businesses] Nowadays people even get certain rights because of marriage.
2 Some rituals lead to "good" results like sleeping easier, avoiding pain. Flags get raised when rituals interfere with others wellness... sometimes. [I'm looking at you, witch burning]
3 lol, morality? If marriage is so good, why not let same sex couples get married?

don't do them around me.
respect

tl;dr social stigma is bull :smash:

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
This argument doesn't really matter unless you all bring it to action. And seeing as though most people in our smash community aren't delving into politics quite yet or at all, this is all kinda futile. Everyone here who does drugs in this community will most likely continue. All those that don't will continue their path of sobriety.

edit: unless some people have a change of heart and decide to broadcast it in which we start this all over again.

So. Smash. Right.

Dahrem you going to AXS 2?
Gonna try. (Universal Dahrem answer) As usual it depends on my ability to get a ride, and my the situation of what my family is doing that weekend, and finally, If I finally stop being lazy and do my homework. I truly plan on that last one.

why not let same sex couples get married?
Very true. But since when were politicians homosexual? Exactly, so why should they care? (*sarcasm*)

huMps

Smash Ace
drugs and philosophy do not give a more accurate out look on life or any kind of better understanding of one self. go do some hard work, or do something with real meaning that lasts. i say dirty hands make a clean mind. philosophers, psycologists, drug addicts - pediphiles. lol huge blanket statement but you see what Im saying. Don't try to break down life sitting alone in your head. :)

i haven't read all of what's been written but I can see that ****'s getting deep, and I think this is some good advice for the gaming community in general. I feel like I can throw in a little different of a point of view being that I have always been an athlete 1st and a guy that loves ff7 and melee 2nd. Throw in the fact that i'm a family man now kind puts me in a whole other world from most all of you guys so... just keeping it real:cool:

ps i cant spell

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
drugs and philosophy do not give a more accurate out look on life or any kind of better understanding of one self. go do some hard work, or do something with real meaning that lasts. i say dirty hands make a clean mind. philosophers, psycologists, drug addicts - pediphiles. lol huge blanket statement but you see what Im saying. Don't try to break down life sitting alone in your head. :)
Very true. I like to see people with this kind of outlook on life.

Though I could disagree with the philosophy statement.

And as for psychologists, a few of them are crazier than the people they treat.

RTF

Smash Lord
Futile? Optimists everywhere weep. Distractions only work for so long.

...and yes, smash.

Gonna try. (Universal Dahrem answer) As usual it depends on my ability to get a ride, and my the situation of what my family is doing that weekend, and finally, If I finally stop being lazy and do my homework. I truly plan on that last one.

Very true. But since when were politicians homosexual? Exactly, so why should they care? (*sarcasm*)
What gets me the most are the priests XD

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Wait, Pound V is at RIT? Hype. I've gotta make it. I'm gonna beg my mom.

EDIT: Pound V PREPERATION.

Oops. shows how good I am at reading.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
The only reason I don't like most stoners is because it shows in their personality that they're addicted, which is kinda pathetic. I don't know how it is with adults that smoke weed, but teenagers who smoke are usually fiends for it. Same opinion with people who drink as well.

RTF

Smash Lord

maybe if the guy in charge of the OP spent less time being a tard and more time updating things, people might know what the hell is going on around here.
Goggles for best OP?

The only reason I don't like most stoners is because it shows in their personality that they're addicted, which is kinda pathetic. I don't know how it is with adults that smoke weed, but teenagers who smoke are usually fiends for it. Same opinion with people who drink as well.
The only reason I don't like most hardcorestraightedgekidsis because it shows in their personality that they're addicted, which is kinda pathetic. I don't know how it is with adults that are straightedge, but teenagers who don't smoke are usually fiends for it. Same opinion with people who drink as well.

People have thought that I was Jewish, straight, and a stoner based on my personality/looks. GFG :smash:
I pulled off acting deaf before. proskills.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
What irritates me is that people think I'm a deadbeat or I'm going down the "wrong path in life", when I start smoking weed.

Honestly anything in life you partake in can have a constructive or a destructive effect on your life. Playing smash the way I did had a destructive effect on my life because I was being irresponsible about it, and putting it before things that I really needed to take care of.

Bud is something that has helped me open up more and enjoy my life. I've learned a lot of things about myself since partaking in the substance and I can honestly say I enjoy my life more after I started using.

1. I'm going to college in the fall
2. All my debts are paid off
3. The last of my car repairs are going to be done this month.
4. I'm doing a lot better at my job
5. I'm getting out more now and I actually have a social life
6. I'm taking better care of myself, I've stopped drinking soda and I've started working out
7. I've learned a lot about myself as a person.

Honestly blazing has had a positive effect on my life. It's something I usually do with friends to have a good time and to chill out. Before I started toking I was really up tight and I didn't really open up to anyone much, but after blazing I met a lot of great people and generally started to enjoy my life.

So in conclusion its not about the substance, its about how you use it, or abuse it. I mean soda had a much more negative effect on my health ffs.

It does kind of bother me a little bit that people do judge me in a negative way because I toke, and I get the impression that some of these individuals think I'm irresponsible and I'm doing the wrong thing because of it, and that kind of upsets me a little bit. But this is the way I've chosen to live my life, and I live life to enjoy it. I trust my own judgement and I would never partake in anything that I thought was unsafe or unwise. So in the end if someone doesn't like what I do all I can say is, "Oh well." Just live and let live.

The only reason why I made my first post was because Bry also used to toke and I couldn't really understand where he was coming from, and now I do, and I feel kind of sorry that I judged him unfairly like I did because now I know how it feels. =/

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
When you got it smoke it, if you don't it's not a big deal. I crave cigs more than anything else, and even that is suppressable.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I think your misinformed. Being addicted to pot is a personality trait, personally I've gone for two weeks at a time and sometime as much as a month without toking because the occasion just didn't arise and I'm not much of a fan of toking alone, although every once in a while I'll blaze and play some random video game lol. Again its how you use the substance, not the substance itself. People can become addicted to over the counter medicine ffs, and society doesn't have a negative outlook on those drugs.

hubble

Smash Ace
**** society hard.

do whatever you want, keep it to yourself at all times, and enjoy your own life.

focus on what you can control and seize the day by the throat.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I think your misinformed. Being addicted to pot is a personality trait, personally I've gone for two weeks at a time and sometime as much as a month without toking because the occasion just didn't arise and I'm not much of a fan of toking alone, although every once in a while I'll blaze and play some random video game lol. Again its how you use the substance, not the substance itself. People can become addicted to over the counter medicine ffs, and society doesn't have a negative outlook on those drugs.
Dude, I just said it was a personality trait.

And I'm just speaking from my experience. Mostly kids in my school, because no matter how much anyone wants to argue, most of them are deff addicted. And I also never said that I approve of people addicted to otc drugs, I just said Pot because that was the topic, and drinking because it's semi-relevant.

Edit: And I said I didn't know how it was for adults who smokes because let's face it. The kids in my school, are just kids. And that's how they are.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Honest question to everybody in the apartment and everyone who is a regular there and smokes.

If I took a hammer and smashed your bowl/hookah, what would you do and why?

Next, take the above question, remove the word bowl/hookah, and replace it with Smash controller. Is the answer any different?

Id be willing to bet that it is. Because yall break each others controllers and shiz all the time and people just accept it, but for some reason Ive never heard of any of you breaking the thing you smoke out of. and if you did, I feel like nigz would flip the hell out and ish would hit the fan hard.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Honest question to everybody in the apartment and everyone who is a regular there and smokes.

Next, take the above question, remove the word bowl/hookah, and replace it with Smash controller. Is the answer any different?

Id be willing to bet that it is. Because yall break each others controllers and shiz all the time and people just accept it, but for some reason Ive never heard of any of you breaking the thing you smoke out of. and if you did, I feel like nigz would flip the hell out and ish would hit the fan hard.
It's more about intent. People get mad playing smash. No one breaks a controller by hitting it with a hammer, they do it when they're upset.

People don't often get mad about smoking weed for some reason.

Apples =/= Oranges

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
based on my broken controller experiences, its more a question of negligence and lack of respect than uncontrollable spur of the moment anger.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure if you just randomly took a hammer to just about anything someone owned, they'd flip out at you.

I'm laughing at about 90% of the recent posts in this thread.

You can become addicted to almost any drug, as well as several kinds of activities, including video games. I'll define "addicted" as a state where if you stopped doing something, you'd experience some sort of withdrawal.

For most people, Weed is not chemically addicting (I say most because I'm sure there are a couple people out there that are exceptions), but can be psychologically addicting. Being addicted to smoking isn't a "personality trait" so much as it is just being mentally compelled to smoke a lot.

@Goggles: why do you care so much about what people do with their spare time and money? If you don't want to smoke or drink or whatever, that's cool, don't do it. Just because you don't want to, though, doesn't mean other people can't or shouldn't. So long as no harm comes of it, people should be free to pursue their own happiness. There's obviously some gray areas and paradoxical situations (I.E. what if harming others makes me happy?), but in this case (smoking pot), they aren't affecting you directly at all, so why should you be trying to stop them?

EDIT:

why are people so bent on nitpicking?
@Goggles: Because you're using ridiculous hypothetical situations to try and force your opinion on people.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
how am i forcing my opinions on people?

I wasnt trying to give the impression of 'this is why i dont do it, so you shouldnt either'

I was speaking under the belief that we were all simply stating 'heres the reason why I make the choice that i make'

Although you are right, my metaphors have really been off lately, Im usually a lot better with that.

But aside from all that... even if its not a chemical addiction, most people I know that do weed do seem to show signs of a mental or social addiction.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Maybe I've been misreading the last couple pages of posts (only skim when I lurk this thread), but the general message I've been getting from you is that "Drugs are bad, don't smoke" and you've been pretty adamant about arguing that.

Just a general question: Do you reread your posts before you click the button?

Acton

Smash Journeyman

But aside from all that... even if its not a chemical addiction, most people I know that do weed do seem to show signs of a mental or social addiction.
Somehow I don't really trust you to judge whether or not someone has a mental or social addiction. . . =/

Acton

Smash Journeyman

And I'm just speaking from my experience. Mostly kids in my school, because no matter how much anyone wants to argue, most of them are deff addicted. And I also never said that I approve of people addicted to otc drugs, I just said Pot because that was the topic, and drinking because it's semi-relevant.

Edit: And I said I didn't know how it was for adults who smokes because let's face it. The kids in my school, are just kids. And that's how they are.
Yeah I can feel you there. Like even though I toke I feel like I don't buy into the whole "drug culture" still, and that to have fun you need to get wasted and be under the influence 24/7. Honestly I don't even like headies much, dro is much better just helps me have a good time and its not to bad and I only toke on the weekends usually.

The first time I ever toked was when I was 17 and at that point in my life after trying it I decided it wasn't for me and I was just at the wrong place in my life at that time to be toking. I still think I made a good decision at that point and I still think its not a great idea to toke during high school but people make their own decisions lol.

But I think there is a big difference between high school kids and 20 something adults, myself being 22 and a lot of the smashers being older then that in rochester. . I think. I think most peoples reasoning skills become much more developed after leaving high school.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ok this is weird.

I rememeber when pot was demonized and people who didnt do it tended to attack and antagonise those that did. And even then I was never a big fan of vilifying people for the simple non-destructive choices they made in life.

But when did it become ok for the people who do smoke to pressure and attack and label the so-called straight-edge kids as goody goody haters that are just trying to force their opinions on others based on something they are apparently ignorant to?

Also for the record, I have always believed hemp should be legalised.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
ok this is weird.

But when did it become ok for the people who do smoke to pressure and attack and label the so-called straight-edge kids as goody goody haters that are just trying to force their opinions on others based on something they are apparently ignorant to?

No one is doing that?

Foy

Smash Champion
So I just got out of work and looked at this thread and went, WTF this is dumb talk for smashboards and im pissed i brought it up. But since I just got out of work and I have nothing else too do im about to own all of you. :D

Personally, after I started to toke I was able to become much more social and relaxed. It was kind of a joke about what I said about goggles lol.

I don't think it blows at all foy lol. Its your house ffs, and its just a little smoke. I think people need to chill out but thats just opinionated me. xD

<- still opinionated as ever
Ight so acton, smoking in a house every other day since its been cold out, cause we use to smoke on the back porch but it got cold as ****. And when you smoke how much, $20 $30, we end up smoking from a minimum of $60 and up to $300. Damn! Well the kids that do it here don't mind, but some of the people who do come over and play smash do mind. But the thing is its our home, the people who live there are doing it with other friends outside of the smash community. Thats how our lives are, and we play smash. but the people who do come into our homes shouldnt necessarily complain cause we let everyone in with open arms and will only turn you away if you cause trouble.

How disappointing
Its disappointing that you cant see that peoples lives and decisions are their own to make and deal with. People come from different **** and we all know that life will end at some point; and you live the way you wish to live out this world.

Personally speaking, it's helped me learn a lot about myself - specifically that I still have a lot of growing up to do. .
Example of how one person was changed from doing one thing. Think back to when you first ever got scared in your life, the first memory of you being scared ****less to the point were you blacked out. If you cant remember the first one then it never left a memory or changed as you are as a person. People change for whatever reason, and if a person is willing to do drugs and know that the effects might change their mind, then they know what they are getting into.

How disappointing
Again, really, you must be a very negative person and that you cant realize that human beings are ****ed up, and no one lives a perfect life. There is no such thing, you will always do wrong.

i haven't read all of what's been written but I can see that ****'s getting deep, and I think this is some good advice for the gaming community in general. I feel like I can throw in a little different of a point of view being that I have always been an athlete 1st and a guy that loves ff7 and melee 2nd. Throw in the fact that i'm a family man now kind puts me in a whole other world from most all of you guys so... just keeping it real:cool:

ps i cant spell
You spell stuff pretty good xD. But too be real, I respect you alot and your work ethic. And that you are a family man and still play melee, and you love it. Thats whats its all about. I work 40+ hours a week and play melee and still smoke weed. Its works for me, and for some people it doesn't. It sucks for those people, but they will learn that something is going wrong or fall into a hole.

Kids dont have much to worry about so when they realize that drinking and smoking get you ****ed up and make you do stupid **** its all they crave cause they dont have responsibilities and they are minors, so they cant get into any serious trouble besides with their parents. My bestfriend throughout highschool was a straightedge vegan who basically dealt with my bull**** like getting piss drunk and high out of my mind because we were friends and enjoyed each others company. If you dont get along with the stoner kids at school then you probably have no common interest or way of life. And the only thing setting you back from knowing that kids life is a conversation. Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

Goggles for best OP?

The only reason I don't like most hardcorestraightedgekidsis because it shows in their personality that they're addicted, which is kinda pathetic. I don't know how it is with adults that are straightedge, but teenagers who don't smoke are usually fiends for it. Same opinion with people who drink as well.

People have thought that I was Jewish, straight, and a stoner based on my personality/looks. GFG :smash:
I pulled off acting deaf before. proskills.
People instinctively judge people by the way they look cause you cant smell as good as most animals and sight is our dominate sense. If people could smell you, you ywould smell like lavender and deathturnips, and people who dont know what smash is just smells rotten radishes! :D

What irritates me is that people think I'm a deadbeat or I'm going down the "wrong path in life", when I start smoking weed.

Honestly anything in life you partake in can have a constructive or a destructive effect on your life. Playing smash the way I did had a destructive effect on my life because I was being irresponsible about it, and putting it before things that I really needed to take care of.

Bud is something that has helped me open up more and enjoy my life. I've learned a lot of things about myself since partaking in the substance and I can honestly say I enjoy my life more after I started using.

1. I'm going to college in the fall
2. All my debts are paid off
3. The last of my car repairs are going to be done this month.
4. I'm doing a lot better at my job
5. I'm getting out more now and I actually have a social life
6. I'm taking better care of myself, I've stopped drinking soda and I've started working out
7. I've learned a lot about myself as a person.

Honestly blazing has had a positive effect on my life. It's something I usually do with friends to have a good time and to chill out. Before I started toking I was really up tight and I didn't really open up to anyone much, but after blazing I met a lot of great people and generally started to enjoy my life.

So in conclusion its not about the substance, its about how you use it, or abuse it. I mean soda had a much more negative effect on my health ffs.

It does kind of bother me a little bit that people do judge me in a negative way because I toke, and I get the impression that some of these individuals think I'm irresponsible and I'm doing the wrong thing because of it, and that kind of upsets me a little bit. But this is the way I've chosen to live my life, and I live life to enjoy it. I trust my own judgement and I would never partake in anything that I thought was unsafe or unwise. So in the end if someone doesn't like what I do all I can say is, "Oh well." Just live and let live.

The only reason why I made my first post was because Bry also used to toke and I couldn't really understand where he was coming from, and now I do, and I feel kind of sorry that I judged him unfairly like I did because now I know how it feels. =/
Bomb story. You made those decisions either way. For all you know if you didn't smoke you might've turned out the same way. Keep doing what you are doing and keep your head up no matter what.

Every person is different, yadda yadda. Read post up top that i quoted again for answers. :D

1) Please don't smash my ****. 2)People don't except it, we get pissed, upset, yell and resolve ****. We are adults who act like kids sometimes(most of the time)

based on my broken controller experiences, its more a question of negligence and lack of respect than uncontrollable spur of the moment anger.
3.)You ended up mixing my controller in your bag once and i had to try and break in a new controller 2 days before a tournament. When it came tournament time i remember you had a bunch of controllers in your bag and asked if mine was in there. You checked and found it. Not only was the control stick broken on it, you carved KID on it. This controller meant alot to me, it was a gift from KFC that he gave me before i moved back to NY. I ended up smashing it cause i tried to use it against you in Losers bracket and one Kongo kungles i had a game winning knee and my controller wouldnt fastfall. Never once have I *****ed at you about that. I got over it. People **** up sometimes, even if its unintentional.

I'm pretty sure if you just randomly took a hammer to just about anything someone owned, they'd flip out at you.

I'm laughing at about 90% of the recent posts in this thread.

You would laugh at this, instead of trying to get drug talk off smashboards and get back about talking to smash and at the next tournament im going to and you are at ill MM you for a fresh crisp $20 :D

how am i forcing my opinions on people?

I wasnt trying to give the impression of 'this is why i dont do it, so you shouldnt either'

I was speaking under the belief that we were all simply stating 'heres the reason why I make the choice that i make'

Although you are right, my metaphors have really been off lately, Im usually a lot better with that.

Do you remember meeting me way back when i first came to a rochester tournament. Do you remember the exact thoughts of when you first saw me. If you remember me back then, and the me now, next time i see you or you can post it, tell me what your first judgement on how i acted and looked to how you know me now.

Somehow I don't really trust you to judge whether or not someone has a mental or social addiction. . . =/
He really doesn't, i doubt anyone in this thread does.

Yeah I can feel you there. Like even though I toke I feel like I don't buy into the whole "drug culture" still, and that to have fun you need to get wasted and be under the influence 24/7. Honestly I don't even like headies much, dro is much better just helps me have a good time and its not to bad and I only toke on the weekends usually.

The first time I ever toked was when I was 17 and at that point in my life after trying it I decided it wasn't for me and I was just at the wrong place in my life at that time to be toking. I still think I made a good decision at that point and I still think its not a great idea to toke during high school but people make their own decisions lol.

But I think there is a big difference between high school kids and 20 something adults, myself being 22 and a lot of the smashers being older then that in rochester. . I think. I think most peoples reasoning skills become much more developed after leaving high school.
its not reasoning its choices. and its not really a skill.

ok this is weird.

I rememeber when pot was demonized and people who didnt do it tended to attack and antagonise those that did. And even then I was never a big fan of vilifying people for the simple non-destructive choices they made in life.

Also for the record, I have always believed hemp should be legalised.
Hemp is legalized dummy. And thats their personality that they were raised in or learned. Too judge quickly and hate what they dont believe.
No one is doing that?
Everyone is and thats the problem, peoples beliefs in stupid little things can cause those same people to take what they love, and lash it at other people.

People suck, but people are awesome.

You guys all suck though compared to me in Melee now.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
No hate on any one that does drugs, because its what you choose but don't bash my post cause they are just my opinions. I'm not telling any one to stop smoking our live like me. Merely just stating how I feel about drugs and I stand by it. I've been to the apartment on several occasions and never said anything about it granted I don't enjoy it. And even when I have you guys over to my place I often suggest places in the areas that you could smoke.

That being said drugs can be substituted for something better and more constructive but that can be said about alot of things including smash. the main thing for me is, I've asked you guys never to smoker in my venues and apartments and I haven't had 1 problem so I don't really care what every one does as long as there respectful when the time calls for it.

Didn't Proof read this

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I agree with Cura. But not Goggles in this case...

Pretty much everyone who's on this thread already knows how you live your lives, and judging any of you for one activity is stupid. That said, I am disappointed that so many of you would jump on to defend it when really one person saying the same thing is enough.

What I end up seeing is one person making a good point, then a whole bunch of others repeating the same point and saying "**** the haters", as if you're looking for approval from someone.

Wow Zach, if I didn't know you better I would be raging lol. Since you don't show up and people don't get to meet you, antagonizing everyone on the thread when you feel like trolling might not be a good idea.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Maybe it's because it was late, but I didn't think I was trolling. I doubt I got the whole point I was thinking of across, and I was intentionally antagonizing Goggles a little bit.

Hmm. Foy, are you going to 2nd BEST?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
foy, im pretty sure acton started this convo, not you.

also, I can talk to you about it more in depth whenever i see you but generally when i met you I had the same opinion of you as I do now except that youve probably matured the most out of everybody I/you/we hang with in that period of time.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Yo *****es, one of you make me coffee.

If past lives were real I'm 90% sure I was a red panda, or at least they're my power animal if that stuff were real too.

What do you think you were or your animal is? Discuss.

Top Bottom