• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
additionally, the fact that i trash talk and annoy people makes them want to get good enough to beat me just to shut me up. ..
Trust me, I beat you and you don't shut up lol. It's a lot to ask. On the bright side, someone has to be the obnoxious loud mouth player that people want to beat, and you got that **** locked down tight.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. your up by albany huh? what game do you play?

2. check the first post for a map on what smashers live near you, and where our next tournament is going to be.

3. Maybe we can use you to convince altairian to decide to go to our next tourney instead of wasting his whole week/weekend/life playing ff games.

altairian

Smash Lord
Lol, I should have posted in this thread a while ago.

Hi NY. I'm in Troy for school. Get at me?
Few questions:
What school?
What game(s) do you play?
When are you available to get together for some smash?
Do you have a car?

That should cover everything for now, lol

My aim is altairian7, if you're interested in practicing/going to tourneys, hit me up and we'll set some stuff up ;)

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Few questions:
What school?
What game(s) do you play?
When are you available to get together for some smash?
Do you have a car?

That should cover everything for now, lol

My aim is altairian7, if you're interested in practicing/going to tourneys, hit me up and we'll set some stuff up ;)
IN ORDER: RPI, Melee, basically whenever, and I don't have a car. I'm trying to get in touch with Kwan again, haven't played with him since last semester, him and N64 are down the street from me.

I'm probably done with playing in tourneys for a while, been playing for 3 years in MA and got no where. If I find out that I can actually compete with people, I'll think about starting again. I do, however, love to run tourneys, so if there are any decent venues, I'll host something.

<shamelessplug>On that note, I'm hosting a couple tournaments at Genericon, RPI's annual anime convention. Entry is $25 at the door, and there's no cash pot for prizes, but it'll be a fun time and whatnot. Also, 48 hours straight of gaming.</shamelessplug>

Kantō

Smash Champion
you and alt should host albany tourneys!!!!!

oh yea Alt. how is the venue hunting going anyway?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
If you host it. NY will come. So would MA. Albany is mad close. So would LI and NYC. Even Tri State. Maybe even NE.

Albany is an amazing place for tournaments but none have ever been held except in the olden olden days.

altairian

Smash Lord
IN ORDER: RPI, Melee, basically whenever, and I don't have a car. I'm trying to get in touch with Kwan again, haven't played with him since last semester, him and N64 are down the street from me.

I'm probably done with playing in tourneys for a while, been playing for 3 years in MA and got no where. If I find out that I can actually compete with people, I'll think about starting again. I do, however, love to run tourneys, so if there are any decent venues, I'll host something.

<shamelessplug>On that note, I'm hosting a couple tournaments at Genericon, RPI's annual anime convention. Entry is $25 at the door, and there's no cash pot for prizes, but it'll be a fun time and whatnot. Also, 48 hours straight of gaming.</shamelessplug>
I'm slowly (very slowly, atm lol) looking for a solid venue for running Albany tourneys. If you enjoy TO'ing then I'd be happy to have your help =)

You're gonna have to let me know more about that convention, I'm a huge anime geek on top of everything else so anime + smash = heaven to me lol

I'm trying to pick up melee so once I get a decent base of tech skill I'm definitely gonna want to hit you up for some practice. I know there's a few brawl players at RPI as well so if you have any interest at all in playing brawl, maybe we can all get together sometime?

Oh and bry, FF13 is gonna be epic ;) And I'll get around to venue hunting soon...lol got a little distracted by Soul Eater and now Bioshock 2 >_>

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Copied and pasted from Results thread because I'm not sure if it is still active.

Woah. Looks like I missed since the last time I've been on here.

Acton: Wth man? haha. My friend finds a video of me playing on youtube and I am all excited to see it, but it turns out that the Lucario player on there isn't even me! I'm actually kind of disappointed that you mistaken me for another player who clearly lacks experience with both the matchup and the character in general. We played about 5 matches, I believe, and I don't think any of them were recorded. I do remember a match in Pokemon Stadium, but I'm pretty sure I was leading by a pretty significant margin. In other words, I had a pretty confortable lead, and I don't remember ever winning a match off of luck and one of your character's suicides. Besides, I play nothing like that at all. If you somehow do have any ACTUAL videos of me (which I don't think you do) feel free to put them up, though. But take that one off, please.

San: I actually don't know what I want people to call me. For some reason, I can't picture myself having an actual gamer name. The whole "Broski" tag was kind of just a one-time deal in dedication to the legendary Brett Broski seen in the" New Haircut" videos. I was thinking that sometime soon I may go by Epyon (long story), but for now, you all can just call me James or JamesG...or, as eevee states, Motha ****in JamesG.

TEG or w/e: I'm 20, and why do I write like what?.....and why do you care? I try my best to write in a professional manner if that is what you meant. Look at it as a means of practice or experience for my writing assignments in college. I could give you a longer, more elaborate explanation, but I think nothing I will say will ever surpass eevee's response, so let's just keep it at that.

13370 - So it wasn't your Wii that got stolen? Somebody at the tourney told me wrong, then. My bad.

Sorry for the late responses, people. The internet really isn't my thang.

I'm trying my best to attend some of those smashfests, so hopefully I will see most of you guys there!

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
It may be a bit early, but I think you can go ahead and move me to number 2 on the power ranking.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
BTW, my tag is actually Questor. Greene Archer is a joke account I never bothered to log out of, and just decided to keep using.

I need to stop sucking at melee -_-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you want to get better at melee you came to the wrong place.

if you are already good at melee, and want to take money from kids for free like the canadians keep doing, than you came to the right place.

Also, to anyone who is come to RIT smash club tonight, I will waxing kids, and giving out beatings for free in TvC, please, get at me if you would be so kind.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
lol, I just mess up on tech skill stuff a lot. I'm also terrible in tournaments.

Also roman, we need to play more. True story.

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED: Smash tourney at Genericon @ RPI tomorrow at 4PM, anyone who wants to come to a college anime convention and play smash, be here. You know you want to.

Foy

Smash Champion

im gonna go ahead and call fox johns on that.

fox is wayyy too fast, even burak took me to last stock in both our games in tourney, and not to slight the guy, but I still feel like im a decent amount better than him, and had he been playing any other character, it would have been more decisive.

--------------------

fact of the matter still remains that everyone below me sucks at melee. and everyone that has ever lost to anyone below me sucks at melee, which pretty much means that neil is the only worthwhile player. and maybe if people learned to not be terrible you wouldnt have to worry about where I am on the PR cus I wouldnt be there. Im probably gonna quit melee as soon as I believe that there are 10 people in the state that are actually better than me at the game. ive also pretty much quit trying to get better at the game, and the only reason Im still entering tourneys is because basically all I have to do is beat one person out of mana, pika, TEG, and vicious to make money

Id rather spend my time on brawl, a good game where people actually respect me and acknowledge my skill.

Did it ever occur to people that I wouldnt be half of the current best team in rochester if I was really as bad as you say? Teams isnt a major factor playing into the list but it should still set off a flag when the number 1 and 3 players in the area are losing to the supposed number 2 player, and a guy that you dont think should even be on the list... so either neil should be number 1 on the pr and is many times better than everyone else, or im not as garbage as you think, pick one.

w/e, doesnt even matter anymore, idc. just stop being crap tier as a region and I wont have to be bothered with this mess.
Saying the people below you suck at melee is total bull****. Players like Steve and Minh don't suck. Also, by that count you have to beat two of us to place in the money.

Ignoring the brawl comment.

The current best team was Jesse and myself. I don't see you anywhere on there. You can't go entirely off of one tournaments results in order to prove a point when there are large amounts of results that refute it. I don't think your garbage, I just think a) You could be a lot ****ing better, and b) people need to learn their Ganon match-up and realize he is a character with no camping options, limited out of shield options, a bad recovery, and lots of lag.

You can't tell us to stop being crap tier when you say you are going to quit anyways. Removing a player who knows a bit about the game and evidently has the ability to place consistently in our top 8 is completely counter productive. That's like, stop being bad but don't look to me for help.

should I ever go to a large scale melee tournament, odds are, im not going to make it out of pools (unless its big enough to have multiple pools, in which case I might make it out of first pools and then go on to get 2-0d by everyone in 2nd pool) based on this, anybody that loses to me, probably sucks. steve and minh do some cute/smart stuff from time to time, but they still lose to me consistently, thus they suck if they disagree, they should play me. preferable for money.

Because Jesse definitely chose to team with mana over you because he wanted the "challenge " of not having the best partner right?

Why do I need to be any better, when 1. I win anyway, and 2. people are to talk about me like I suck regardless?
ganons recovery and oos is better than mediocre, and he might have slightly more lag than other characters, its mostly offset by his massive range, priority, damage, hitstun and shield stun.
dont get hit.

I said to stop being crap tier, and that I would quit when you do, but just like neil, as of right now, there no reason to quit when I can still consistently beat the majority of people out here. when people get better and beat me, then ill stop playing because losing in melee is not fun but I dont lose enough currently to not enjoy myself

and for the record, I try to help people but nobody likes to listen to me. i give advice on just abotu every match I play, but when I get responces like "i dont need your help" from amber, and "It doesnt matter what you say, your bad." from jesse, than whats the point? only people that listen to me is pyro, foy, and rob (who im still iffy on, since i cant tell whether he just humors me or not.

done
Goggles as a TO, your responsibility as a Smash Leader in this region is to inspire others to improve in both games. I've gotten inspiration from lots of sources including top level pros, local players/friends, reading up on current metagame and desire to improve. I've always encouraged others to improve in both games as well and I think there's still potential in this region; however, everyone is either a) do not know how to practice/improve, b)lazy and john about school/work/etc and c)a casual player hoping to use mediocre skill to "get by"

If you know you are going to a tourney, you should put some effort in improving technical skill and game knowledge. Some of the things I recommend is making a checklist of things you needs to work on like a)not spamming shield grab, b)learning all OOS options, c)punishing EVERYTHING, d) handling/avoiding DD Grab Camping and e) Edgeguarding. I'm still not perfect with all of the technical feat; however, I'm making healthy progress in improving and I hope our region will see me as a model instead of just another competitor who wants to take your money in tourney.

I get annoyed playing you Goggles is because you take a lot of shortcuts in both games in getting victories, although you have stepped up your Brawl game slightly. A good example is my Fox vs your Ganon where I'm pressuring your shield with aerials and you are spamming shield grab or roll spamming. Better options would be not to put yourself in that defensive position in the first place and just less laggy moves to put pressure on Fox. Instead you are QQing about Fox is so fast and Ganon has no options vs him. Step up your game sir and you'll get more respect.

Ask questions if you need help. I'm here to help the community improve and my apartment is always available for those who are interested.
Words word words

Foy

Smash Champion
Seriously post though. I've been bear fighting training. And Steffan is your new name based off Cowboy Bebop Vicious?

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I wish I had someone at this thread at my tournament right now. I'm running a 32 man double elim bracket on 2 setups. **** is so pro.

Also, RPI might be the best venue ever, assuming I can get rooms. No joke, I have a lecture hall that seats 100+, with ****loads of outlets. Also, a projector and mic system built in. someone help me out with this ****, and we can host epic epic smash tournaments.

Allied

Smash Master
throw a huge tournament i might bring Juice

btw 10 dollar singles entry + 10 dollar doubles entry next time :D

altairian

Smash Lord
I wish I had someone at this thread at my tournament right now. I'm running a 32 man double elim bracket on 2 setups. **** is so pro.

Also, RPI might be the best venue ever, assuming I can get rooms. No joke, I have a lecture hall that seats 100+, with ****loads of outlets. Also, a projector and mic system built in. someone help me out with this ****, and we can host epic epic smash tournaments.
We'll make it happen. :D

RPI is a pretty good location for people traveling, I was aiming for albany just because how close it is off the thruway, but Troy is definitely not hard to get to at all. I'll hit you up on aim.

Top Bottom