• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Lol how is Goggles rated higher than Goodies? He outplaced you in two tourneys with one being bigger than the other. Same with Artery Clogger who gave me a way harder challenge than Goggles ever did.

Sharky

Smash Master
you tied in stylin on ya, and you beat him in return of rochester, which is kinda old to count now. Based on recent results he should be ahead of you. (goodies, didn't look at arteryclogger)

altairian

Smash Lord
you tied in stylin on ya, and you beat him in return of rochester, which is kinda old to count now. Based on recent results he should be ahead of you. (goodies, didn't look at arteryclogger)
You can't go by placement alone though. Who you played matters, and who you beat is the most important. Our brackets tend to be pretty wonky.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
You can't go by placement alone though. Who you played matters, and who you beat is the most important. Our brackets tend to be pretty wonky.
This up here is true^^.

PR actually has very little to do with placings but more or less who you lost to and who you beat.

So Technically last tournament Goggles Lost to 5th place and 7th place. AC lost to 7th and 9th. And goodies lost to 7th and 9th as well.

However goodies did outplace goggles but also note that googles was 1 of the few players that didnt get a bye . So goodies won 2 matches and lost 2 matches last tournament. While goggles went 3-2 Last tournament.

Roman.

Smash Champion
i haven't really been reading this much but at syracuse, i played goodies and goggles in tourney and personally would say overall, goodies > goggles

peach is too goot ^.^

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
idk the list is whack because our region and players are whack i did my best and tried to come to middle grounds with goggles because we had some conflicting viewpoints and nobody else of worth it on AOL to discuss it when we were on.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Dont worry mana ill get better so you have more players to be proud of :D

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Also i think frannie is dropping brawl and probably just doing melee only. with a lil brawl +

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i haven't really been reading this much but at syracuse, i played goodies and goggles in tourney and personally would say overall, goodies > goggles

peach is too goot ^.^

im gonna go ahead and call fox johns on that.

fox is wayyy too fast, even burak took me to last stock in both our games in tourney, and not to slight the guy, but I still feel like im a decent amount better than him, and had he been playing any other character, it would have been more decisive.

--------------------

fact of the matter still remains that everyone below me sucks at melee. and everyone that has ever lost to anyone below me sucks at melee, which pretty much means that neil is the only worthwhile player. and maybe if people learned to not be terrible you wouldnt have to worry about where I am on the PR cus I wouldnt be there. Im probably gonna quit melee as soon as I believe that there are 10 people in the state that are actually better than me at the game. ive also pretty much quit trying to get better at the game, and the only reason Im still entering tourneys is because basically all I have to do is beat one person out of mana, pika, TEG, and vicious to make money

Id rather spend my time on brawl, a good game where people actually respect me and acknowledge my skill.

Did it ever occur to people that I wouldnt be half of the current best team in rochester if I was really as bad as you say? Teams isnt a major factor playing into the list but it should still set off a flag when the number 1 and 3 players in the area are losing to the supposed number 2 player, and a guy that you dont think should even be on the list... so either neil should be number 1 on the pr and is many times better than everyone else, or im not as garbage as you think, pick one.

w/e, doesnt even matter anymore, idc. just stop being crap tier as a region and I wont have to be bothered with this mess.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
fact of the matter still remains that everyone below me sucks at melee. and everyone that has ever lost to anyone below me sucks at melee, which pretty much means that neil is the only worthwhile player. and maybe if people learned to not be terrible you wouldnt have to worry about where I am on the PR cus I wouldnt be there. Im probably gonna quit melee as soon as I believe that there are 10 people in the state that are actually better than me at the game. ive also pretty much quit trying to get better at the game, and the only reason Im still entering tourneys is because basically all I have to do is beat one person out of mana, pika, TEG, and vicious to make money

Id rather spend my time on brawl, a good game where people actually respect me and acknowledge my skill.

Did it ever occur to people that I wouldnt be half of the current best team in rochester if I was really as bad as you say? Teams isnt a major factor playing into the list but it should still set off a flag when the number 1 and 3 players in the area are losing to the supposed number 2 player, and a guy that you dont think should even be on the list... so either neil should be number 1 on the pr and is many times better than everyone else, or im not as garbage as you think, pick one.

w/e, doesnt even matter anymore, idc. just stop being crap tier as a region and I wont have to be bothered with this mess.
Saying the people below you suck at melee is total bull****. Players like Steve and Minh don't suck. Also, by that count you have to beat two of us to place in the money.

Ignoring the brawl comment.

The current best team was Jesse and myself. I don't see you anywhere on there. You can't go entirely off of one tournaments results in order to prove a point when there are large amounts of results that refute it. I don't think your garbage, I just think a) You could be a lot ****ing better, and b) people need to learn their Ganon match-up and realize he is a character with no camping options, limited out of shield options, a bad recovery, and lots of lag.

You can't tell us to stop being crap tier when you say you are going to quit anyways. Removing a player who knows a bit about the game and evidently has the ability to place consistently in our top 8 is completely counter productive. That's like, stop being bad but don't look to me for help.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
KoJ and Goggles 3$ mm next tournament? i would like to see how i do :D

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
The current best team was Jesse and myself.
I can't see how you can perpetuate this. Are you really blind to criticism?

EDIT: Stop dissing the players in our region Goggles. You are typically a nice guy but by saying the people below you on the tier list suck and that nobody unusual will scratch top 3 is bull and mostly hurtful. When you get **** on it does hurt.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Saying the people below you suck at melee is total bull****. Players like Steve and Minh don't suck. Also, by that count you have to beat two of us to place in the money.

should I ever go to a large scale melee tournament, odds are, im not going to make it out of pools (unless its big enough to have multiple pools, in which case I might make it out of first pools and then go on to get 2-0d by everyone in 2nd pool) based on this, anybody that loses to me, probably sucks. steve and minh do some cute/smart stuff from time to time, but they still lose to me consistently, thus they suck if they disagree, they should play me. preferable for money.
Ignoring the brawl comment.

The current best team was Jesse and myself. I don't see you anywhere on there.
Because Jesse definitely chose to team with mana over you because he wanted the "challenge " of not having the best partner right?
You can't go entirely off of one tournaments results in order to prove a point when there are large amounts of results that refute it. I don't think your garbage, I just think a) You could be a lot ****ing better, and b) people need to learn their Ganon match-up and realize he is a character with no camping options, limited out of shield options, a bad recovery, and lots of lag.
Why do I need to be any better, when 1. I win anyway, and 2. people are to talk about me like I suck regardless?
ganons recovery and oos is better than mediocre, and he might have slightly more lag than other characters, its mostly offset by his massive range, priority, damage, hitstun and shield stun.
dont get hit.

You can't tell us to stop being crap tier when you say you are going to quit anyways. Removing a player who knows a bit about the game and evidently has the ability to place consistently in our top 8 is completely counter productive. That's like, stop being bad but don't look to me for help.
I said to stop being crap tier, and that I would quit when you do, but just like neil, as of right now, there no reason to quit when I can still consistently beat the majority of people out here. when people get better and beat me, then ill stop playing because losing in melee is not fun but I dont lose enough currently to not enjoy myself

and for the record, I try to help people but nobody likes to listen to me. i give advice on just abotu every match I play, but when I get responces like "i dont need your help" from amber, and "It doesnt matter what you say, your bad." from jesse, than whats the point? only people that listen to me is pyro, foy, and rob (who im still iffy on, since i cant tell whether he just humors me or not.

KoJ and Goggles 3$ mm next tournament? i would like to see how i do :D
done

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
A lot of what goggles says is true everyone...

but I do see improvement in our region at each event so keep it up everyone

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It's usually just a cycle of people complaining, inspiring to be better, Neil dissing someone, and trolling and spam. It's good to read and be part of!!!!!! p.s. that apple lasted me a good while, it was an impressive apple and i've sort of developed a fruit piece hobby, ty!!!!!! epic win you rock

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Too soon my car no work v.v During the summer I will be in MA several times because I'm much closer. Hopefully in the next little bit my car will be up and running and I can make it to a MA event sooner =)

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
If there was brawl id probably bring a car full. Central NY isnt consistant enough at melee to drive out.

PinPoint

Smash Apprentice
rob (who im still iffy on, since i cant tell whether he just humors me or not. [/COLOR]
I listen to you just like I listen to others with experience. Some things get filtered out and some things I take to heart. Yes, I am quite the humorist at times. As bad as everything says/thinks you are (including me, but that falls into the 'humoring you' aspect) you play the game pretty well. It's a challenge for me to beat fadeaway/dj fair
:urg:
. I do think your ganon will get tierlisted more as we improve.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Once you get past basics, everyone has a different view on the game. Sometimes it's cool to see how each individual's theories fit in with their playstyles.
When you get advice from someone, it's always good to remember that their advice is only their version of the truth. Even if the best player tells you something, it's better to take what you can into your own playstyle than to emulate someone else's. When you try to take on someone else's playstyle, you won't be able to react in the same way they do when something new comes up, and most likely you'll end up failing, trying to do something inbetween.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Goggles as a TO, your responsibility as a Smash Leader in this region is to inspire others to improve in both games. I've gotten inspiration from lots of sources including top level pros, local players/friends, reading up on current metagame and desire to improve. I've always encouraged others to improve in both games as well and I think there's still potential in this region; however, everyone is either a) do not know how to practice/improve, b)lazy and john about school/work/etc and c)a casual player hoping to use mediocre skill to "get by"

If you know you are going to a tourney, you should put some effort in improving technical skill and game knowledge. Some of the things I recommend is making a checklist of things you needs to work on like a)not spamming shield grab, b)learning all OOS options, c)punishing EVERYTHING, d) handling/avoiding DD Grab Camping and e) Edgeguarding. I'm still not perfect with all of the technical feat; however, I'm making healthy progress in improving and I hope our region will see me as a model instead of just another competitor who wants to take your money in tourney.

I get annoyed playing you Goggles is because you take a lot of shortcuts in both games in getting victories, although you have stepped up your Brawl game slightly. A good example is my Fox vs your Ganon where I'm pressuring your shield with aerials and you are spamming shield grab or roll spamming. Better options would be not to put yourself in that defensive position in the first place and just less laggy moves to put pressure on Fox. Instead you are QQing about Fox is so fast and Ganon has no options vs him. Step up your game sir and you'll get more respect.

Ask questions if you need help. I'm here to help the community improve and my apartment is always available for those who are interested.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dont take this as a one liner responce and that i didnt read it all, i just need to do something right now.

for the record, I do an amazing job of inspiring to get better. better than you, i think.

most people dont think they can beat you, whereas I am a better goal because they think they can, or will at some point beat me, additionally, the fact that i trash talk and annoy people makes them want to get good enough to beat me just to shut me up. .

ask people if you dont believe me.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Going into a match assuming a loss is obviously the first step to failure. Everyone knows this but it's still practiced ALL THE TIME.

He's faster than you? **** that flashy ****. Do some gay ****. Play slower watch his movements, see how he moves, and read that ****.

He combo's better? LEARN TO DI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reads better? STOP BEING PREDICTABLE. When you DI and then tech, it's commonplace for noobs to tech in the direction they DI. Just switch it up!

Generally ***** you? Gay it up. Gay his *** so hard it gapes for life. Do whatever works and exploit it. That's what smash bros is.

That's just my four cents take it however it's the attitude that counts!

EDIT: The fifth cent: practice that tech skill before bed time.

EDIT: The sixth, theory cent. Buy thin weighted gloves. It's sort of like training on planets with heavy gravity. Once you take them off you'll be faster than you can imagine!

Top Bottom