• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

mikeray4

Smash Ace
I love how random *** brawlers, come in, and say another random *** brawlers name, and then that said random *** brawler, finds his name here.

It's how Upstate gets company.
I was actually stopping by to say "hi" to my good pal sanford

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
bull ****, you know that was name searched. You have his aim and ****. Troll!!

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Not true, Matt. First time I came over your house, and I mean FIRST TIME, you picked IC's on me twice and I beat them both times, both with aura comebacks iirc. I haven't been able to touch them ever since. Your familiarity of the Lucario matchup is starting to show in your other characters.

:(

And FD should be the only legal stage. It would revolutionize smash bros. and win me more money.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. I think lucario does better with platforms.
2. All FD would clearly win me more money as the resident falco in the area. lol.
3. If TUSM ever came back, he would **** us at an all fd tourney. lol

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Lol, when my friends & I do tournaments we play pretty much all the matches on FD just out of habit. It is seemingly the most fair to the naked eye, although everyone knows how it favors certain characters to others and whatnot. That is of course unless we decide to do some counterpicking or what have you.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Got bored so I made an alternate PR since some people said they couldn't see the names. I decided to go with a Pokemon Trainer theme, mostly because I arbitrarily wanted to, and sprites are incredibly easy to work with. It's nothing special, it was more out of my own boredom than anything else. Enjoy!

\

And yeah, I realize now some of it isn't straightly aligned/neat/whatever, and that the trainers chosen for each person were pretty much picked on a whim as well. There's slight connection to the trainer and the characters they play as for some people, but that really only applies for a few.

huMps

Smash Ace
please dont do that RIT tourney on the eleventh. I cant do a **** thing that weekend.
Dont know if you guys have internet yet at the apartment But I'm definitely down for some smash this weekend, probably friday.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. for the most part I am staunchly opposed to being connected to anything pokemon related.

2. I dont really like how it looks, but thats just me.

3. Why does everyone feel the need to put a space between KID and Goggles, it looks goofy as fk that way, KIDGoggles is one word. ONE WORD. this is a general statement to everybody.

4. Snakeee has three E's

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
If Ikon is still here. Ill money match him.

ok whens your next tourny and make the mm at least 15 or more.
ps your ******** if you go falco or mk lmaoo and bcuz you suck no offense. honestly. you really do suck.

\

these rankings look awful and are str8 up pathetic. guys get real.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is better on platforms against certain characters, not in general. I wouldn't wanna face Sanford's Ike on Battlefield for instance, nor a solid DK player, or Marth, or Meta Knight...... and so on. Overall, I would say FD is his most reliable stage, hands down. Every player in upstate New York bans FD on me, and it is for a reason. I am kind of weird as a player though. I absolutely detest stages like Yoshi's Island despite my additional recovery options, and favor stages like Frigate Orpheon, a seemingly bad stage for my character.

Dedede on FD isn't that bad. TUSM definitely would not **** us. He was lucky Matt choked, and who knows, maybe me or you could've beat him, Goggles. I'm not particularly scared of the Falco matchup, and the stage won't take away from my confidence against that character.

But by the way I was only kidding. I like a little bit of versatility in tournaments so I do support different stages, but not a huge fan of stages with bundles of hazards.

That P.R. is pretty cool. I will still get the Sailor Moon one made someday though lol.

Sanu

Smash Champion
these are the ugliest power rankings i've ever seen

not the newly proposed one, but the current ones

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Haters gonna hate.

No image.

Ten char- No, I'm kidding.
Anywho, I do admit FD can be pretty solid for lucario, but it is sitautional. I tend to play him a bit better on yoshi's or lylat. Why lylat, when his recovery couldn't be worse there? I have no idea, but my onstage game is great there. My lucario's more legit than before, we should see more of it in the future.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ok whens your next tourny and make the mm at least 15 or more.
ps your ******** if you go falco or mk lmaoo and bcuz you suck no offense. honestly. you really do suck.

these rankings look awful and are str8 up pathetic. guys get real.
I see em trollin, they hatin...
also, you coming up to MY region, to play ME, so I determine how much its gonna be.

Overall, I would say FD is his most reliable stage, hands down. Every player in upstate New York bans FD on me, and it is for a reason.
Maybe Syracuse, but I dont think everyone in the entire state bans FD against you, I know you dont.
I am kind of weird as a player though. I absolutely detest stages like Yoshi's Island despite my additional recovery options, and favor stages like Frigate Orpheon, a seemingly bad stage for my character.
frigate is great for lucario. whatchu talkin bout? somebody lied to you.
Dedede on FD isn't that bad. TUSM definitely would not **** us. He was lucky Matt choked, and who knows, maybe me or you could've beat him, Goggles. I'm not particularly scared of the Falco matchup, and the stage won't take away from my confidence against that character.
Come now, sir. You were talking about all tourney wins being 100% legit, but than you go and make johns for cura, thats, no good...

also, im thinking of going all falco at the next tourney but it depends on how i feel the day of.

That P.R. is pretty cool. I will still get the Sailor Moon one made someday though lol.

Maybe for the next update.

these are the ugliest power rankings i've ever seen

not the newly proposed one, but the current ones
go home troll. this bridge belongs to prawn. and it aint big enough for anyone else to live under it with him.

@ james last comment.
arm wrestling match? =D

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't really johning for Cura. I just know he choke artist at tournaments sometimes despite how good he is. Cura got outplayed, for sure. But he is more than capable of beating TUSM, lol.

You wanna arm wrestle me?

This is something I WILL put money on.

We could expand upon that and have benching competitions, curling competitions and more. I could use the extra cash. How much can you put up on the bench. I hope it's above 325 or else you ain't beating me.

:p

Edit:

Correction...everybody in upstate New York who has taken a match off me so far has banned FD on me. Fact.

Goggles, wth are you talking about? A lot of people take Lucario to Frigate as a counterpick, including YOU. I agree though, it is a good stage for Lucario, though, but it could just be the case that it works well with my playstyle. Looking at things from a broader perspective though, it is undeniable that a lot of people believe differently.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
1. for the most part I am staunchly opposed to being connected to anything pokemon related.

2. I dont really like how it looks, but thats just me.

3. Why does everyone feel the need to put a space between KID and Goggles, it looks goofy as fk that way, KIDGoggles is one word. ONE WORD. this is a general statement to everybody.

4. Snakeee has three E's
5. I thought KID made it clear that San was not first, but Ike who mains San.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You wanna arm wrestle me?

This is something I WILL put money on.

We could expand upon that and have benching competitions, curling competitions and more. I could use the extra cash. How much can you put up on the bench. I hope it's above 325 or else you ain't beating me.

:p
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
If you want to bring all that stuff to a smash tourney, than be my guest.
also, I dont always pick CP stages for maximum effectiveness, I just like playing on different stages, why do you think I campaign for such a liberal stagelist?
5. I thought KID made it clear that San was not first, but Ike who mains San.
I love this kid.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Bro my campus is 20 mins away from Rochester. You want this competition to go down, I could make it happen haha.

Just remember there's no turning back after you see what the guns can do :)

And alright, that may have been the case. I just never saw anybody say Frigate Orpheon and pick Dedede so quickly after losing a tourney match in my life. It seemed like you knew you had some kind of advantage but I could've read that wrong.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I see em trollin, they hatin...
also, you coming up to MY region, to play ME, so I determine how much its gonna be.
For some reason this post bothers me.

Maybe Syracuse, but I dont think everyone in the entire state bans FD against you, I know you dont.
I usually ban based on peoples characters or if i know what they will counterpick.

James - Ban FD
Sharky- Ban FD or Castle seige
Leet-0- Ban Brinstar
Pikapika- FD pictochat or rainbow cruise
Dr G- Ban Yoshis island or pictochat
Snakee- Ban Brinstar or Rainbow cruise
Jesiahteg- Ban BF
Goggles- Ban FD

frigate is great for lucario. whatchu talkin bout? somebody lied to you.
I could agree to this.

also, im thinking of going all falco at the next tourney but it depends on how i feel the day of.
Please Do.

For everyone who doesnt know how good goggles falco is. Here is an example.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBn-rUrSe8

@ james last comment.
arm wrestling match? =D
Ill try this but i get 2 arms.

Correction...everybody in upstate New York who has taken a match off me so far has banned FD on me. Fact.

Goggles, wth are you talking about? A lot of people take Lucario to Frigate as a counterpick, including YOU. I agree though, it is a good stage for Lucario, though, but it could just be the case that it works well with my playstyle. Looking at things from a broader perspective though, it is undeniable that a lot of people believe differently.
Last night i did play james g for awhile . Close matches vs my Ics most of the time. EXCEPT for on Fd which either resulted in 1 stocks low percent or 2 stock mid-high percent. And 1 rage quit. Maybe i wont ban it vs him after all.

You just like it cause' your Koga .
You just mad cause you aint on it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Bro my campus is 20 mins away from Rochester. You want this competition to go down
Id rather you just come to RIT smashclub every once in a while if youre going to be that close.
Just remember there's no turning back after you see what the guns can do :)
oh god....:urg: its like having a second angel around...
And alright, that may have been the case. I just never saw anybody say Frigate Orpheon and pick Dedede so quickly after losing a tourney match in my life.
I find this absolutely hilarious and I cant really tell why.
Ill take it as a complement lol.

@ matt, you dont count, youve told me on many occasions that you just dont like playing on FD.
lol like neil is going to pick pictochat against someone.

lol at ragequits

also, inb4vibeagreesthatthatswhyhesmad

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
He counter picked me there 3 out of the possible 5 times.

1 at Styling at you 2. I won with mk
1 at RIT's got hype I lost with Ice climbers
and than against in loser bracket at RIT's got hype. I timed him out and than he raged Lol.

Prawn

Smash Master
so where was ur guys trash talk when i ***** dr grandpa in pools at apex :]

and goggles i appreciate you defending my NY state troll status. i am def gonna try to get to you guys for a tourny but id def need housing :/

Sharky

Smash Master
so where was ur guys trash talk when i ***** dr grandpa in pools at apex :]

and goggles i appreciate you defending my NY state troll status. i am def gonna try to get to you guys for a tourney but id def need housing :/
well seeing as you didn't make it out of pools and he did we just didn't think it necessary =)

btw james g cura tells me you didn't take my advice on mashing out against IC's, I'm disappointed lol.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
If you don't need super-housing, someone can definitely put up. I dunno how big my single is atm, but I'm on-campus. If I got space, I can take one person each event, tho that'd mean floor, so it's more like yer last-ditch option.

-I haven't seen the room yet. I'll offer it out if I can when I get there.

btw james g cura tells me you didn't take my advice on mashing out against IC's, I'm disappointed lol.
Mash. AND YELL. No, wait. Wasn't that mike goggles always talkin about regarding IC breakouts with raegyell in here a page ago? Get his *** back in here, let's find that youtube video.

Sharky

Smash Master
If you don't need super-housing, someone can definitely put up. I dunno how big my single is atm, but I'm on-campus. If I got space, I can take one person each event, tho that'd mean floor, so it's more like yer last-ditch option.

-I haven't seen the room yet. I'll offer it out if I can when I get there.

Mash. AND YELL. No, wait. Wasn't that mike goggles always talkin about regarding IC breakouts with raegyell in here a page ago? Get his *** back in here, let's find that youtube video.
no need to yell, just mash really really fast like me, got me to last hit in a set against mep at apex.

and that's mike haze that goggles is talking about, not mikeray. hi2both.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
LOL at jamesg wanting all FD tourney.

Also for future reference to james cuz you said everyone in NYS bans FD against you, i pretty much ban FD in EVERY set I play cuz i hate getting gayed on that stage by people like sonic and falco. im pretty sure the only person i dont ban fd against is 1337-0 because if youre dumb enough to let him go on brinstar then you dont deserve to win.

in more news sheth is claiming his lucario is legit, shut up you're bad. mm me to prove me wrong :p

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Haha yeah Matt's Ice Climbers did destroy me yesterday. He was playing amazing and getting a lot of grabs on me.

I am still confident in that matchup though and hopefully I will be able to perform better next encounter.

It doesn't help that Matt can chaingrab Lucario really well, a character a lot of IC's struggle keeping a hold of.

As far as FD goes, yeah I did get beat really bad there and rage quit but I think it was more about you making great decisions and getting fast grabs in as opposed to the actual stage. I still think I will do well against your Icies there most of the time, however I am deeply considering using platform stages on them as soon as I learn how to utilize theme effectively.

FD is always gonna be my best stage even if I have a couple of bad matches there, though. Or is it? :)

Sharky, yeah I tried doing that but I'm just not used to it enough and my natural reactions take me over. It's like me uair momentum canceling with dedede and not bair. I'll try to work on that method though.

I think my Dedede is pretty solid for my actual first day using him seriously. I'm hoping he will see some tourney matches soon.

Goggles, I'll try to make some of those smashfests, we'll see.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I thought everyone knew this by now, but just incase you didnt notice, SV is the go to counterpick vs ICs.

If you get the lead, you camp the platform when its off the stage. and when it goes on stage, you either camp the ledge or jump above the ICs until it gets to the other side.

ICs will be forced to approach in crappy ways, you win.

Do it. It works.

@Sharky maybe thats why he keeps beating you... =P

Top Bottom