• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, I hope he gets in solely so they have a reason to reuse "Steals the Show!" as a tagline
By this point, Nabbit doesn't need to worry about any real competition other than maybe Palina or Captain Toad. Unlike Walugi, Birdo and Kamek will get in out of their own merits. Then the Mario cast will be 100% complete.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel like whenever someone tries to criticize other crossover games' roster choices by imaging how Smash would look if they followed the same rules, they end up making better roster decisions by complete accident

"This is like if Smash added Epona instead of Zelda!" In what world is that a bad idea?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like whenever someone tries to criticize other crossover games' roster choices by imaging how Smash would look if they followed the same rules, they end up making better roster decisions by complete accident

"This is like if Smash added Epona instead of Zelda!" In what world is that a bad idea?
we never talk about epona in smash

Lenidem

Smash Lord

You're serious? You think Epona would a better choice than Zelda?

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying Zelda was a bad pick or shouldn't be in, I'm not even saying Epona is a better pick, simply that if they prioritized a character like Epona, it would make perfect sense.
Do you mean it would look better from a Smash inclusion perspective? In an alternate universe where Zelda wasn't included but Epona was, I could see that happening, but otherwise that's debatable.

You might have a point if you mean that Smash's standard may not be the ideal focus for all Smash-like titles, though. And I might even suggest that Smash's current cycle isn't working well for that.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Many of us will assume Ultimate will be the newest installment for awhile but a newer Smash could be sooner than we think. 2026 at the earliest sounds promising for a teaser or some leak and there are many newer Nintendo characters that will intrigue Sakurai.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
All this recent promotion of Eevee Pokémon's been doing as of late almost tells me people are sleeping on an eventual Smash inclusion. I'd welcome it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mainly, the special moves.
  • Neutral B: Wumpa Ball (similar to Mario's Fireball but with an ink effect via Wumpa Fruit juice)
  • Side B: TNT Crate (similar to Luigi's Green Missile)
  • Up B: Crate Jump Punch (The aerial version works similar to Mario's Super Jump Punch, with Crash being launched by a metal Bounce Crate and Wumpa Fruit appear after every hit. The grounded version works like Luigi's Super Jump Punch, with a Nitro Crate sweetspot at the cost of recoil.)
  • Down B: Death Tornado Spin (similar to the Mario Tornado except it can reflect projectiles when you press the button once and mashing B has Crash float horizontally instead of vertically)
  • Final Smash: Aku Aku Finale (similar to Mario Finale, with Crash donning a golden Aku Aku mask and summoning an orange and blue flame from his palms)
So basically, you'd have to do more work to make Crash into a Mario clone than to just...let Crash be Crash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've typically been iffy about doing character switch combinations in Smash (see my resistance about having Dixie pair up with Diddy or Kiddy), but I have to admit having played through the SMRPG remake... I think I kind of want Geno and Mallow as a two for one inclusion ala Pyra/Mythra. I know there's not much canon reason to this (given that they can fight together through all of the game); it's just that both feel like such worthy fighters for Smash and the ability to utilize both in one technical character feels kind of right.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Loopholey ways of adding non-game franchises to Smash by adding game-specific content a la the GoldenEye motion sensor bomb in Smash 64 would actually be really cool IMO, even if in a kinda cheeky way.

That being said, it really shouldn't be through something major like a playable fighter or stage, probably an AT or boss at most, and preferably it should be something where if you hid the source material's name unfamiliar players would have no clue of its origins - so no Android 21, given the whole Android naming scheme is a dead giveaway that she's somehow related to Dragon Ball, but if this guy popped up in an Assist Trophy, it'd be fun for those who do know, and those who don't would be none the wiser.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Actually after having put in some thought, Victory screens need a make over. Their awkward and all over the place. They used to be actually great but yeah. Their basically clunky.

A post match results screen with character icons actually sounds appealing and original. Victories should be represented through character endings, which Smash should totally switch over to. Character endings depicting their home series canon would be pretty clever.

Crowd cheers are also pretty outdated and should be cut entirely. THIS IS when Victory themes should play. In between the matches.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel like if Smash Ultimate had more special costumes for certain characters, they should be part of the base game instead of DLC. I know that sounds blasphemous in an age where DLC costumes are commonplace in fighting games, but I don’t want to pay extra for special costumes in a game where plenty of characters get special costumes in the base game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I see this concept flow around quite frequent and quite honestly, Waluigi's moveset basing around sporty and spinoff tropes would be underwhelming, and lazy.

I would love for Walu to bring the lanky, long reach fighter and whacky fighter concept to Smash.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I see this concept flow around quite frequent and quite honestly, Waluigi's moveset basing around sporty and spinoff tropes would be underwhelming, and lazy.

I would love for Walu to bring the lanky, long reach fighter and whacky fighter concept to Smash.
A sports character sounds really cool, but Waluigi should not be it - a fourth Mii type based on Mii games (including Wii Sports) would be pretty damn cool though.

FazDude

Smash Master

I don't mind Waluigi having sports stuff in his moveset, but if you don't capture his scheming nature, you didn't make a Waluigi moveset. Sure, sports games make up the majority of Waluigi's library, but him being a cheater is equally as much of a character and should be embraced.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If the slots for the base roster weren’t so limited, I honestly would’ve kept Isabelle an Assist Trophy, especially since she was one of the most useful Assist Trophies in Sm4sh.
Who would take her roster spot?

My pick would be Bandana Dee since Kirby kind of needs another rep after Brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who would take her roster spot?

My pick would be Bandana Dee since Kirby kind of needs another rep after Brawl.
It's...very ironic to replace Isabelle with Bandanna Dee and then justify it with Kirby being supposedly underrepresented.

Even after Villager and Isabelle, Animal Crossing is still one of the most underrepresented series on the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even after Villager and Isabelle, Animal Crossing is still one of the most underrepresented series on the roster.
To piggyback off of this - Animal Crossing and Splatoon are the most essential and the most likely series to see growth beyond the obvious Mario / Pokemon / Fire Emblem circle of always getting new content. Tom Nook is in my opinion maybe the most obvious and likely character to join the roster next game and I think Splatoon should be granted more creativity than adding Octoling as a clone and calling it a day. Over the course of Smash's history fans have given extreme favoritism toward the longer standing IPs and it is especially apparent now that we see series like these two, Pikmin and Xenoblade steadily climbing but attention is still directed toward the same old.

Donkey Kong and Kirby are in a good spot right now. They have sensible next steps if they choose to take them, but in a condensed roster scenario I think the three characters each of them already have are pretty fantastic. I wouldn't be upset to see them expanded upon - especially Kirby, which is my favorite Nintendo series. But conservatively speaking I think we're pretty much set and would rather direct attention toward expanding on less fortunate series and worlds that aren't even on the roster at all yet. DK fans especially should brace themselves considering it's been about a decade since Tropical Freeze.

Also, Metroid could never receive a newcomer again and that would be okay with me. They're already pretty much set with Samus and Ridley, and if Dark Samus gets tweaked to be more unique we would be in beyond perfect shape. I can't really justify Sylux or Raven Beak at all, the former is built on so many assumptions and quite frankly I can't wait to stop seeing him on fan rosters.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
To piggyback off of this - Animal Crossing and Splatoon are the most essential and the most likely series to see growth beyond the obvious Mario / Pokemon / Fire Emblem circle of always getting new content. Tom Nook is in my opinion maybe the most obvious and likely character to join the roster next game and I think Splatoon should be granted more creativity than adding Octoling as a clone and calling it a day. Over the course of Smash's history fans have given extreme favoritism toward the longer standing IPs and it is especially apparent now that we see series like these two, Pikmin and Xenoblade steadily climbing but attention is still directed toward the same old.

Donkey Kong and Kirby are in a good spot right now. They have sensible next steps if they choose to take them, but in a condensed roster scenario I think the three characters each of them already have are pretty fantastic. I wouldn't be upset to see them expanded upon - especially Kirby, which is my favorite Nintendo series. But conservatively speaking I think we're pretty much set and would rather direct attention toward expanding on less fortunate series and worlds that aren't even on the roster at all yet. DK fans especially should brace themselves considering it's been about a decade since Tropical Freeze.

Also, Metroid could never receive a newcomer again and that would be okay with me. They're already pretty much set with Samus and Ridley, and if Dark Samus gets tweaked to be more unique we would be in beyond perfect shape. I can't really justify Sylux or Raven Beak at all, the former is built on so many assumptions and quite frankly I can't wait to stop seeing him on fan rosters.
(A) Splatoon idol(s) is such an obvious shoe-in for the next Smash, and it's always just baffled me how nobody talks about or acknowledges the idea, even negatively.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Bowser's castle is undoubtedly the most request stage to be represented but in hindsight, the stage could easily be mediocre and poorly executed (impossibly). Specifically modern.

1701032566923.png

This concept is pretty flavorless for example. It's just barren. There's a staggering absence of personality and charm. It's actually terrible. And incredibly regrettable.

While this is more appealing.

1701032718035.png

I'm one of the few who's of the opinion is that, the only way a Bowser stage can be good is it needs retro appeal. Simple, straight forward and old school. A retro Bowser stage is where it's at. But that's just my opinion.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bowser's castle is undoubtedly the most request stage to be represented but in hindsight, the stage could easily be mediocre and poorly executed (impossibly). Specifically modern.

View attachment 381043

This concept is pretty flavorless for example. It's just barren. There's a staggering absence of personality and charm. It's actually terrible. And incredibly regrettable.

While this is more appealing.

View attachment 381044

I'm one of the few who's of the opinion is that, the only way a Bowser stage can be good is it needs retro appeal. Simple, straight forward and old school. A retro Bowser stage is where it's at. But that's just my opinion.
Having played on both of these stages, the PM Bowser's Castle is infinitely more fun. Maybe it could do with a platform or two, but those Thwomps are great fun.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I think the crazier stuff from the Bowser levels in 64 or especially the Galaxy games would make for cooler stages. Chaotic sure, but they'd be damned memorable.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think the crazier stuff from the Bowser levels in 64 or especially the Galaxy games would make for cooler stages. Chaotic sure, but they'd be damned memorable.
Mario 64 is retro. Mario Galaxy isn't too recent, but Bowser's Road in Super Mario 64 is def retro. And full of personality.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
It may never have been practical, but I'll always lament that we never got a unique Smash entry on the DS. It would have been fascinating to see how Sakurai would done such a title within the limitations of the console.
I think it could be cool if another studio did a DS game at the same time Brawl came out honestly. I mean it would probably have been better if Sakurai did it but for a DS game I just think it would have been interesting to see

Top Bottom