• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Writing character discussions? In my Smashboards?

Hell yeah.

I'm working on a character right now who's female, and I think i'm doing a good job of having her be strong without running into the "strong woman" tropes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She can instantaneously create a shield bubble within anyone's brain and expand it to make the whole thing pop with absolutely no effort.
So, she can expand their heads?
It all makes sense.
903FAA6E-313B-44C5-90FA-534D81FB0BE3.jpeg
58022404-2C22-44D1-A64C-F23CD078AC32.jpeg

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Joker's moveset will not contain ANY references to Hifumi Togo and thus I will be selling my copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as well as my Nintendo Switch

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hell yeah.

I'm working on a character right now who's female, and I think i'm doing a good job of having her be strong without running into the "strong woman" tropes.
I used to have a lot of characters in mind.
I really like to make a map and make all of these countries and how they interact with each other and stuff. Having a strong imagination is a very good trait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I used to have a lot of characters in mind.
I really like to make a map and make all of these countries and how they interact with each other and stuff. Having a strong imagination is a very good trait.
Yeah, it's awesome! This isn't just for fun though. this is my pilot.

I'm gonna hold on to this script until I can talk with Cartoon Network.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Yeah, it's awesome! This isn't just for fun though. this is my pilot.

I'm gonna hold on to this script until I can talk with Cartoon Network.
AS and CN have greenlit some really experimental and creative shows so good luck.
I'll be looking forward to the character that you're basing off of my likeness

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No really, what is that drawn anime avatar that everyone has that is taking over SmashBoards?

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I remember when they tried to make Lara Croft the representation of women's empowerment in video games. "She can do anything a man can do." The issue is those men get to do things no ordinary man can do: fly, shoot lightning bolts, ect. When your wish fulfillment is at the level of a badass ordinary guy, you are selling yourself short in this medium.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Hell yeah.

Where my difficulty lies is in telling modern stories with women who are not defined by their relationships to their male counterparts, but aren't devoid of them either.

It's a struggle of making sure that every action the character takes is made independent of her closest male figure, whether that's a father, love interest, commanding officer, etc. And yet, through the eyes of contemporary culture, any joint effort seems to be regarded as male-leaning. Sadly, the same restrictive lens is applied to women in the real world too, not just fiction. (Not to get political here, I'm just ranting.)

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Just finished blocking out my character. If my program hadn't crashed, I would've gotten done sooner.
Screenshot (289).png
Much more work to do.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I want a game that has true Equality, the woman gets her **** slapped in as much as any man does

One of them got **** for being over the top and glorifying the physical abuse of its lead character. The other is just a rad game about an adventurer who takes a beating but keeps on getting up.

I'm just saying.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Where my difficulty lies is in telling modern stories with women who are not defined by their relationships to their male counterparts, but aren't devoid of them either.

It's a struggle of making sure that every action the character takes is made independent of her closest male figure, whether that's a father, love interest, commanding officer, etc. And yet, through the eyes of contemporary culture, any joint effort seems to be regarded as male-leaning. Sadly, the same restrictive lens is applied to women in the real world too, not just fiction. (Not to get political here, I'm just ranting.)
Ah man, I agree so much!

A huge part of my character is her relationship with her dead father. It's a real struggle trying to not make it seem like she's just obsessed with a man, as opposed to mourning her father.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I have a bunch of characters in mind for various indie games I could consider making eventually, I should draw them all so that I can show them off sometime. The game ideas focus on different groups of characters who live on different planets but the plots all connect together a little bit. I have quite a bit of worldbuilding thought up as well.

(General thing, but, they say we should avoid making characters be tropes, but... just wondering... aren’t some real people actually tropes? Like, isn’t it sometimes more realistic for some characters to be tropes? IDK, but just wondering...)

D

Deleted member

I have a bunch of characters in mind for various indie games I could consider making eventually, I should draw them all so that I can show them off sometime. The game ideas focus on different groups of characters who live on different planets but the plots all connect together a little bit. I have quite a bit of worldbuilding thought up as well.

(General thing, but, they say we should avoid making characters be tropes, but... just wondering... aren’t some real people actually tropes? Like, isn’t it sometimes more realistic for some characters to be tropes? IDK, but just wondering...)
Do shantae next plz!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I'm actually in the process of making a video game right now, actually!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My main worry for writing a character is making one that's quiet and concealed without running into any tropes.
Tropes are unavoidable, I believe you’re thinking of cliches. I wouldn’t really worry about that too much. Just try and take note of what works and what doesn’t, you certainly want to avoid treading on rocky ground but focus overall on creating good, strong characters regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom