• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Tropes are unavoidable, I believe you’re thinking of cliches. I wouldn’t really worry about that too much. Just try and take note of what works and what doesn’t, you certainly want to avoid treading on rocky ground but focus overall on creating good, strong characters regardless.
Cliches, that's the word I'm looking for. And thanks for the advice.
The character isn't going to be all ""ooh I'm so lonely and introverted" but more so just the silent type, and a very tad bashful.
It's only brought up once in the game, and for like, 2 textboxes.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ah man, I agree so much!

A huge part of my character is her relationship with her dead father. It's a real struggle trying to not make it seem like she's just obsessed with a man, as opposed to mourning her father.
Same. In Gundam Wing, more or less every female character is defined by their relationship to their more-important male counterpart. (Relena/Heero, Noin/Zechs, Catherine/Trowa, Hilde/Duo, Une/Treize, etc.) So as we write it, we try to turn the stereotypes on their heads and attempt to give the female character more agency and individual motivation will still leading the plot in the same direction. It's challenging but fulfilling when you get comments saying "______ is so much better written than in the actual show".

I know I've brought up the game before here, but I honestly use Dragon Age II as a reference for my female characters. That game's cast is perfect.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Speaking of avatars, by the way, thanks Noipoi for agreeing to make me an avatar. As you can see, I’ve held up to my end of the bargain.
Y'know, I actually would put my fan club in Antartica.

That or Albuquerque. Where the sun is always shining, and the air smells like warm root beer. And the towels are oh so fluffy!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
now now, Where did I say abuse?
Oh, you didn't at all. It's been a social media/games reporter thing since they first rebooted Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider and Uncharted are like the same goddamn game but Tomb Raider gets controversy. This is why the concept of
I want a game that has true Equality, the woman gets her **** slapped in as much as any man does
is kind of rare.

D

Deleted member

ah yes, that is definitely the problem when it comes to gender equality. women just aren't getting hit enough
men are actually super oppressed since they always die in vidya james but women never do, of course

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
men are actually super oppressed since they always die in vidya james but women never do, of course
Peach never gets a game over in Super Mario Bros. She just sits there in her castle while the man does all the work.

It's ****ing bull****.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
God you reminded me of an old colleague who believed Smash was sexist because they added Isabelle who caters towards women and not men. I bet he's hella pissed that you can have a team with just girls in DBFZ now and that Videl's the main fighter and not Saiyaman

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
God you reminded me of an old colleague who believed Smash was sexist because they added Isabelle who caters towards women and not men. I bet he's hella pissed that you can have a team with just girls in DBFZ now and that Videl's the main fighter and not Saiyaman
My cousin back home in Ohio was genuinely perplexed by me picking Lucina, then Zelda, then the female alt for Robin when we played Smash 4 together for the first time. It, like, disturbed him that I was playing female characters. And he asked if I was gay.

I didn't expect Smash Bros. to spawn a much-needed conversation about gender equality and unfair expectations with my extended family.

Also Videl is the ****ing best I'm so excited.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Peach never gets a game over in Super Mario Bros. She just sits there in her castle while the man does all the work.

It's ****ing bull****.
Reminds me of the Wii U version of Scribblenauts Unlimited where, if you summoned Peach (and maybe the same thing with Zelda too, it’s been a long time since I’ve played that version,) she had infinite health and couldn’t die, while some other of the other characters like Mario and Bowser took normal damage.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Based on your description, I'd assume he'd be more happy about the fact there's only 3 playable female characters.

But if he's as against women as you say I can't wait to hear what he says about the Granblue Fantasy Versus roster (the majority of the popular/most-likely are female).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My cousin back home in Ohio was genuinely perplexed by me picking Lucina, then Zelda, then the female alt for Robin when we played Smash 4 together for the first time. It, like, disturbed him that I was playing female characters. And he asked if I was gay.

I didn't expect Smash Bros. to spawn a much-needed conversation about gender equality and unfair expectations with my extended family.

****ING RIGHT SHE IS DRAGON BALL'S BIGGEST CRIME IS DOMESTICATING HER SO THE FACT SHE'S ALLOWED TO DO **** AGAIN IS SO GODDAMN COOL

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
****ING RIGHT SHE IS DRAGON BALL'S BIGGEST CRIME IS DOMESTICATING HER SO THE FACT SHE'S ALLOWED TO DO **** AGAIN IS SO GODDAMN COOL
Hey you're cool wanna hang out and play Dragonball.

D

Deleted member

sometimes it takes something small to realize how ignorant some people can be

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Cheelai better be hella strong or at least be able to decently fight in her next appearance or I swear I'm going to riot

I really want her to be playable in future games

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Based on your description, I'd assume he'd be more happy about the fact there's only 3 playable female characters.

But if he's as against women as you say I can't wait to hear what he says about the Granblue Fantasy Versus roster (the majority of the popular/most-likely are female).
He was genuinely upset about how "Those ****ing social justice ****heads are whining about Doom Eternal's jokes" and considering there were like 14 people at most saying "Hmmm I didn't like that joke about 'lol demon is offensive call them mortally challenged" while there's literally countless people going "OH MY ****ING GOD THEY'RE TRYING TO RUIN DOOM!", I managed to shut his dumb ass up by pointing that out. He stopped coming to work after that and got fired for not showing up for a few weeks

EDIT: He probably doesn't know Granblue outside of that one trailer so he wouldn't care

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isabelle caters to no one. All will perish.
The Killager still lives on!

I main a lot of female characters in Ultimate, what your cousin is saying is completely wrong.

D

Deleted member

The Killager still lives on!

I main a lot of female characters in Ultimate, what your cousin is saying is completely wrong.
when i came out as bi to my sis she was like "huh so that's why you play a lot of girl characters like female inklings in splatoon i did the same where i would always play as guys" and i was like nah i just think they have cuter hair/appearances in general lmao

Graizen

Smash Champion
GameFreak went to Bandai to make an Eevee Tamagotchi

You guys think this helps Agumon's chances in Smash?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
GameFreak went to Bandai to make an Eevee Tamagotchi

You guys think this helps Agumon's chances in Smash?
I think it's entirely unrelated, as should you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom