• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This scene... this GODDAM SCENE.

They nerfed a cool and nice character like Susan Storm... just to make a PATHETIC AND UNFUNNY SEXUAL JOKE.

If the writers really cared when writing the movie, they would have known that Susan Storm could just easily turn the clothes invisible too... but nooooo... they had to make Susan a joke.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If you ask me, the villain was the weakest part of the otherwise, quality movie...

I can't even remember his name
Shan Yu.
Yeah he's a pretty forgettable Disney villain.
Nothing real makes him stand out.

Also I just started my free Nintendo Switch Online trial, anyone wanna play some Smash?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If you ask me, the villain was the weakest part of the otherwise quality movie...

I can't even remember his name
The true villain was a suffocating and archaic patriarchal culture.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
That's a really cool take on it. I hadn't really given Cinderella that much thought. But, you're right.

What I've found difficult in writing female characters is the fine line between conventional feminine expectations and tropes. I feel that many attempts at writing strong female characters in media of the last decade have been trying too hard and end up making a trope all its own. A character can be a strong character regardless of gender without being squeezed through a stereotypical male lead cookie cutter, but gender dynamics have been so static for so long that people genuinely don't seem to know how to differentiate "strong" and "male" characteristics.
People really in general don't know how to write female characters, especially in mainstream entertainment. They fall into the same few traps every time.

I think it is really impressive if a writer demonstrates that they can realistically portray the struggles of being a woman as opposed to being a man, but there are many MANY instances where "I'm _____ despite my gender!" is their main personality trait. In an effort to distance themselves from a female stereotype, they literally make their character's gender into their entire identity.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The writers of those two movies were stupid.
Did you know that Susan Storm can turn anything she wants invisible? The writers of the first movie didn’t, because if that wasn’t the case a huge part of the bridge scene based on a joke involving her wouldn’t even be there.

I really hate that scene for literally nerfing a huge part of Susan’s powers just for a joke.
So.... I guess I've been wrong all these years in assuming she wouldn't really bring anything to the table in Marvel vs. Capcom?

D

Deleted member

So.... I guess I've been wrong all these years in assuming she wouldn't really bring anything to the table in Marvel vs. Capcom?
In a sense, yeah.

She could work similar to characters like Magneto, since Susan could just easily trap the opponents in a bubble and toy with them.

D

Deleted member

Shan Yu.
Yeah he's a pretty forgettable Disney villain.
Nothing real makes him stand out.

Also I just started my free Nintendo Switch Online trial, anyone wanna play some Smash?
I am thinking about it...

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
People really in general don't know how to write female characters, especially in mainstream entertainment. They fall into the same few traps every time.

I think it is really impressive if a writer demonstrates that they can realistically portray the struggles of being a woman as opposed to being a man, but there are many MANY instances where "I'm _____ despite my gender!" is their main personality trait. In an effort to distance themselves from a female stereotype, they literally make their character's gender into their entire identity.
And you know the reason for that, right?

All the people getting these lead writer jobs are male.

I'm in a difficult position with my parody because it's being written by me and my brother, two suburban straight white males with near identicle upbringing. And I make an effort to run our scripts by our female and minority actors, and I believe their insight has helped tremendously in making our show not-just-another-white-straight-bro-fest. If we expand and actually turn our channel into something that makes money, my very first thing I want to do is go out and hire someone who is as little like the two of us as possible, because their perspective will change the whole process. Creative people should want that.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
That's a really cool take on it. I hadn't really given Cinderella that much thought. But, you're right.

What I've found difficult in writing female characters is the fine line between conventional feminine expectations and tropes. I feel that many attempts at writing strong female characters in media of the last decade have been trying too hard and end up making a trope all its own. A character can be a strong character regardless of gender without being squeezed through a stereotypical male lead cookie cutter, but gender dynamics have been so static for so long that people genuinely don't seem to know how to differentiate "strong" and "male" characteristics.
Honestly that's something I've found weird with some trying to write strong female characters for a while. A good chunk of the time the writer seems to deem being "strong" as casting off the female traits altogether and giving them more generally masculine traits. It makes them strong but strips them of being female. Which I find to be backwards, a strong female character imo should be one that has control of and uses her femininity to her advantage. Her female traits should become her strengths along with any other skills she has, not cast aside. What's the point of making a strong female if you are going to throw away the female?

And you know the reason for that, right?

All the people getting these lead writer jobs are male.

I'm in a difficult position with my parody because it's being written by me and my brother, two suburban straight white males with near identicle upbringing. And I make an effort to run our scripts by our female and minority actors, and I believe their insight has helped tremendously in making our show not-just-another-white-straight-bro-fest. If we expand and actually turn our channel into something that makes money, my very first thing I want to do is go out and hire someone who is as little like the two of us as possible, because their perspective will change the whole process. Creative people should want that.
To be honest this seems to be a problem sometimes even with writers in big companies that are those minorities, characters get written as [insert minority here] as the core of their character. Imo it's not just the people being part of the group or not that is a problem, Im sure many strong characters of various backgrounds have been written well by those of other backgrounds, but the thought process behind their creation too. Like the difference between "I want to make a good character that is a minority" vs "I want the character to be a minority"

Im not sure if that makes perfect sense or not. Im bad at explaining things

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
The writers of those two movies were stupid.
Did you know that Susan Storm can turn anything she wants invisible? The writers of the first movie didn’t, because if that wasn’t the case a huge part of the bridge scene based on a joke involving her wouldn’t even be there.

I really hate that scene for literally nerfing a huge part of Susan’s powers just for a joke.
The way the handled her character was pretty stupid, but you can't expect EVERYTHING to be parallel to the comics, especially not power scaling.
There are some things that shouldn't be touched obviously, like Peter Parker pretty much has to be awkward, Batman can't kill, etc. But comic book adaptations will never be fully accurate, especially considering how overpowered a lot of the characters are.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So you know how Green Lantern can just make **** appear in Injustice? That's Sue.

She could have a command grab or two involving force fields and invisibility, hurl projectiles, etc., just like any other fighting game character. All of the F4 could make for great movesets, but they've all been relegated to Super Skrull somewhat representing all their powers, kinda-sorta-but-not-really.

It's why I hate Super Skrull.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Zelda, Peach and Daisy have the best Final Smash in the game by far.
And we should have called that when the first ever Ultimate grand finals, with Smash meter on, was Daisy vs. Zelda.

They just kept FSing each other.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
ngl i'm starting to go a little stir crazy for joker info after nearly 2 months

something, sakurai, anything

please

D

Deleted member

I need thirty spirits until I have all, but I can not find the spirits. Probably in World of Light, but I am not in the mood. :p
I completed World of Light in hard difficulty a long time ago and got a good percent, I just have not touched World of Light since.
I do love me some spirits though.
I also need six challenges until I finished all of the challenges and they are all in Adventure, so...

Some day I have to do a World of Light tour.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ngl i'm starting to go a little stir crazy for joker info after nearly 2 months

something, sakurai, anything

please
God I remember going stir crazy over RE2. Weird how time flies.

> Announce it in 2015.
> Say NOTHING for three goddamn years.
> Surprise! E3.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I ****in' loved Shan Yu. He's one of my favorite Disney Villains. His carefree, humorous attitude is something I loved.

The moment where he swings upside down in front of the Emperor and goes
'......Boo.'

Is such a great moment.

I'm not sure the reason he is being discusses, so I apologize if I am agreeing with something morally wrong or something.
I just saw someone say he was a forgettable villain or something and had to put my 2 cents in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom