• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I have a hard time saying he saved her when she was the one who made the decision to go in the first place though. And then when Tremaine tried to keep her from being fitted for the slipper, she essentially saves herself, since the animals helped her because she was actually kind to them.

Whenever she's in a jam and someone does help her, it's never Charming, or even a man in general...just the Fairy Godmother and Gus/Jacques/Bruno. And even then they only help her get things back that were wrongly taken from her in the first place. Any forward progress she made, she made on her own.
Exactly, even if she couldn’t save herself on her own, I still feel like she put in the effort she needed and did everything she could do. Another reason to why I hate the portrayal of her in the remake.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I have a hard time saying he saved her when she was the one who made the decision to go in the first place though. And then when Tremaine tried to keep her from being fitted for the slipper, she essentially saves herself, since the animals helped her because she was actually kind to them.

Whenever she's in a jam and someone does help her, it's never Charming, or even a man in general...just the Fairy Godmother and Gus/Jacques/Bruno. And even then they only help her get things back that were wrongly taken from her in the first place. Any forward progress she made, she made on her own.
That's a really cool take on it. I hadn't really given Cinderella that much thought. But, you're right.

What I've found difficult in writing female characters is the fine line between conventional feminine expectations and tropes. I feel that many attempts at writing strong female characters in media of the last decade have been trying too hard and end up making a trope all its own. A character can be a strong character regardless of gender without being squeezed through a stereotypical male lead cookie cutter, but gender dynamics have been so static for so long that people genuinely don't seem to know how to differentiate "strong" and "male" characteristics.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To me, I look at the live action remakes through the same lens I look at, say, stage performances of the films. None hold a candle to the originals, but I like seeing the little alterations they make to the stories. Like King Louie being a gigantopithecus instead of an orangutan, since those at least lived in India at some point and also made him more of a threat. Or how they took the really problematic "ten years" line out of Be Our Guest, considering those two words caused almost two decades of timeline debates.

That being said, the fact that live action Mulan straight up won't include any of the songs made it dead on arrival by this metric lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cinderella is the Susan Storm of the Disney Princess.

Some people say that she is one of the most generics, but when you actually watch the movie you start to realize how underrated she is in regards to character development to the point that it may even end up as one of your personal favourites.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Cinderella is the Susan Storm of the Disney Princess.

Some people say that she is one of the most generics, but when you actually watch the movie you start to realize how underrated she is in regards to character development.
Ya and the sequels [at least the second movie] throws it all away

D

Deleted member

While we’re talking about movies, why does Hollywood feel olbiged to cram John Cena or The Rock into everything? xD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ya and the sequels [at least the second movie] throws it all away
I mean that's kind of the case for like 90% of Disney's Direct to Video sequels.

I like to pretend that The Hunchback of Notre Dame never got a sequel.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That being said, the fact that live action Mulan straight up won't include any of the songs made it dead on arrival by this metric lol.
I know Mulan is a great story and very relevant to modern society and it likely won't be a bad movie at all.

But I genuinely enjoy the music more than the film itself.

D

Deleted member

>Marvel “fans”: “Susan Storm is soooo useless! She can only turn herself invisible and make stupid shields... That just sucks!”
Susan Storm: *Stops Silver Surfer’s freaking board (which can go faster than light) with a single shield, prevents any being from breathing by surrounding their heads with a strong sphere shield and is able to stop celestial bodies or turn any huge structure invinsible with enough focus and concentration*

>Disney “fans”: “Cinderella is a bland character who just marries a prince and nothing else! What could she teach the viewer?”
Cinderella: *makes a critic to parental/family abuse, treats the fear about being aparted from the world or home slavery and teaches the importance of opening ourselves to the world*

D

Deleted member

I know Mulan is a great story and very relevant to modern society and it likely won't be a bad movie at all.

But I genuinely enjoy the music more than the film itself.
I have not seen Mula before, only clips.
Is that a crime?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Like come on Disney there's still so many classic fairy tales or public domain stories you've yet to had done.

Imagine one being done on the story of Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus? That'd make a pretty decent adaptation.

D

Deleted member

Like come on Disney there's still so many classic fairy tales or public domain stories you've yet to had done.

Imagine one being done on the story of Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus? That'd make a pretty decent adaptation.
Doesn’t Universal own Frankenstein?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's a really cool take on it. I hadn't really given Cinderella that much thought. But, you're right.

What I've found difficult in writing female characters is the fine line between conventional feminine expectations and tropes. I feel that many attempts at writing strong female characters in media of the last decade have been trying too hard and end up making a trope all its own. A character can be a strong character regardless of gender without being squeezed through a stereotypical male lead cookie cutter, but gender dynamics have been so static for so long that people genuinely don't seem to know how to differentiate "strong" and "male" characteristics.
I don’t know how helpful this response is but how I define a strong character regardless of gender is how they deal with their flaws, their fears, any obstacles that they come across. That’s what makes a character interesting and relatable.

D

Deleted member

I do not know if this is a bad idea, but they should make a Fire Emblem game about where a protagonist tries to overthrow the monarchy, and at the end they make a democracy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

They've been trying to do a Don Quixote movie for a good 70 years now...

Every single attempt has resulted in nothing

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
>Marvel “fans”: “Susan Storm is soooo useless! She can only turn herself invisible and make stupid shields... That just sucks!”
Susan Storm: *Stops Silver Surfer’s freaking board (which can go faster than light) with a single shield, prevents any being from breathing by surrounding their heads with a strong sphere shield and is able to stop celestial bodies or turn any huge structure invinsible with enough focus and concentration*
Yeesh, where was that in the Rise of the Silver Surfer?!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know what Disney movie would REALLY benefit from a live action remake?

Treasure Planet.

pls

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don’t know how helpful this response is but how I define a strong character regardless of gender is how they deal with their flaws, their fears, any obstacles that they come across. That’s what makes a character interesting and relatable.
Speaking about female stereotypes, here's one of my favorites from movies, but summed up in a Shantae image that I conveniently found a few minutes ago!
3ac.png

D

Deleted member

Yeesh, where was that in the Rise of the Silver Surfer?!
The writers of those two movies were stupid.
Did you know that Susan Storm can turn anything she wants invisible? The writers of the first movie didn’t, because if that wasn’t the case a huge part of the bridge scene based on a joke involving her wouldn’t even be there.

I really hate that scene for literally nerfing a huge part of Susan’s powers just for a joke.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have like no memory of the clips. I did get spoiled the villain's death but hey that does not matter too much, right?
If you ask me, the villain was the weakest part of the otherwise quality movie...

I can't even remember his name

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The writers of those two movies were stupid.
Did you know that Susan Storm can turn anything she wants invisible? The writers of the first movie didn’t, because if that wasn’t the case a huge part of the bridge scene based on a joke involving her wouldn’t even be there.

I really hate that scene for literally nerfing a huge part of Susan’s powers just for a joke.
But how else would they be able to capitalize on Jessica Alba’s hotness to appeal to the teenage and young adult male demographic?!
It’s not like that’s the target demographic for comic book readers already...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sue Storm-Richards is arguably the most dangerous hero in the Marvel universe. She can instantaneously create a shield bubble within anyone's brain and expand it to make the whole thing pop with absolutely no effort.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have like no memory of the clips. I did get spoiled the villain's death but hey that does not matter too much, right?
Ya the final villain is the least memorable of all the villains so you didn't get your fun spoiled knowing that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom