• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Princess Eilonwy

She was the princess from The Black Cauldron

One of the most infamous Disney movies, for it's negative critical reception at the time, and how it almost bankrupted the company
I've occasionally wondered why it did that. I remember liking the film as a kid.

Granted, that was when it was on home video, not brand new in theaters, but yeah. It wasn't bad at all.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Nice. Though I forgot to get clarification; what style is this?
It's my own made up style. But it is kinda inspired by Mario Maker and Mega Man. Some sprites might look a little different depending on the character I'm trying to make, like here:

Humans tend to look similar because I use the same base body type for them. When the character is buff or tall I tend to make the sprite bigger, so I have more room for details.

If they're animal or not too close to human, I tend to change the style to fit them better, like with Crash here, where I made his body thinner than the human ones. For Yoshi, I made the body a little fatter. With Incineroar, I tried doing some more dynamic posing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Atlantis, as bad as it may sound, is a big victim of the denial towards animation inside the casual public.

If the movie was live-action and directed by a popular director it would have sold better. I wish it wasn’t this way, but the recent live action remakes made by Disney prove that it sadly is the case.

Thankfully, the Internet is doing these animated movies the justice they deserve, by spreading awareness about them and tracking people’s attention. That’s why Spider-Verse got all the praise it completely deserved, and didn’t end like Atlantis.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's my own made up style. But it is kinda inspired by Mario Maker and Mega Man. Some sprites might look a little different depending on the character I'm trying to make, like here:

Humans tend to look similar because I use the same base body type for them. When the character is buff or tall I tend to make the sprite bigger, so I have more room for details.

If they're animal or not too close to human, I tend to change the style to fit them better, like with Crash here, where I made his body thinner than the human ones. For Yoshi, I made the body a little fatter. With Incineroar, I tried doing some more dynamic posing.
That's awesome dude. They look fantastic.

Would you be interested in commissions someday, potentially?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's a crime that The Black Cauldron never became a massive hit. Easily my favorite Disney work that gets overlooked by so many.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If the movie was live-action and directed by a popular director it would have sold better.
I mean there's already proof of this.

*cough*James Cameron*cough*Avatar*cough*

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember when they showed Atlantis at my Elementary School way back when. Must have been like 16-17 years ago. Don't remember much about it.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Maybe when I get confident enough in my spriting. For now I'm just practicing.
Cool. I jotted you down in my "way in the future" notes.

We want to make a Fire Emblem Awakening parody video that I've written half a script for, but only after we've established ourselves as more than a Gundam-focused channel. I'm not sure the best way of getting the sprites and flash animation I need to make that happen. Maybe later in the year I'll shoot you a message.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Actually thinking about it let's go over it movie by movie

Snow White- Regular village girl, no relation to the queen. Marries a prince into Royalty. Disney Princess
Cinderella- Regular girl who ends up in a **** situation cuz her Pa got remarried to a *****. Marries a prince into Royalty. Disney Princess. (Father MAY have been some sort of lord, but odds are just had a big house and bad taste in women)
Alice- IMPLIED AT THE MOST to live in some sort of fancy house (and being english that doesn't mean MUCH). Disney Princess (And princess of heart)
Aurora- First to actually be born into it AND be a Disney Princess.
Maid Marian- Is the daughter of a Baron which would Technically make her a Princess. Isn't a Disney Princess because idk foxes are icky?
Eilonwy- Is apparently a Princess, But isn't a Disney Princess.
Mouse version of Queen Victoria- Would have been a Princess before the death of her father Mouse William IV of the United Kingdom, Isn't a Disney Princess
Ariel- Born to King Triton, Marries a Human Prince, And is a Disney Princess (But not in Kingdom Hearts apparently) so is probably the only one who WAS Nobility before marrying into Nobility.
Belle- Regular Girl Marries a Prince, this is what the third one now? Disney Princess
Jasmine- Here's a First. Born into Nobility but marries a Peasant who would thus become a Prince. Disney Princess.
Nala- Mated to a King, Isn't a Disney Princess, only legally recognized by furries.
Pocohontas- Daughter of the Chief so it would be recognized, Also Disney Princess
Esmerelda- Here's where I am lost. Is a Regular Gypsie (In the book she was a regular french girl who was ADOPTED by the gypsies even). Does not marry nobility (Phoebus was basically a cop) Was not even pursued by Royalty (Frollo is a Minister of Justice in the movie and a Deacon in the book). Even the title character of the movie is not any sort of nobility and he had a thing for her. Is a Disney Princess. WAT.
Megera- Would have been a princess if she married Hercules (Greek King Heracles). Status Unknown.
Mulan. Does not marry nobility, Was not Born into Nobilty, but because she killed a bunch of "Huns" (a whole different arguement) we let her have it. Disney Princess.
Kida- Born into nobility, Becomes a Queen by the end of the movie, Disney hates her for some reason. Not a Disney Princess.
Tiana- Marries a Prince thus allowing her to become human again. Disney Princess. Also underrated movie.
Rapunzel- Born into nobility but was kidnapped. Becomes a princess again at the end. Disney Princess
Vanillope- A Glitch who was programmed as a Princess, Disney and the fans Flip Flop on it but at the end of the Movie she reliquishes the title anyway.
Elsa and Anna- Both are Disney Princess, Both were born into it, Elsa became Queen but stillr etains Disney Princess Status.
Moana- Like Pocohontas is the daughter of a chief. Disney Princess.

And then theres:
Merida- Born into it, still is one at the end but heres the kicker. IS A PIXAR CHARACTER. Dont start with me about the aquisition, it was not the Main Animation Studio. Fight me IRL. Disney Princess btw.

D

Deleted member

I saw that the topic was about Disney and I checked Netflix to see if they have good Disney stuff.
They have a lot of Disney movies. The ones that look the most interesting are Pocahontas, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan and Hercules.
Which one should I watch first?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I saw that the topic was about Disney and I checked Netflix to see if they have good Disney stuff.
They have a lot of Disney movies. The ones that look the most interesting are Pocahontas, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan and Hercules.
Atlantis or Lilo & Stitch.
Mulan is dope too.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Emperor's New Groove is always the answer to that question.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

That's pretty nice. I actually have to update my sprites for my Pokemon hack to match the Ruby/Sapphire style better. It won't be easy, though. Especially since they all have to share a very specific style.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually thinking about it let's go over it movie by movie

Snow White- Regular village girl, no relation to the queen. Marries a prince into Royalty. Disney Princess
Cinderella- Regular girl who ends up in a **** situation cuz her Pa got remarried to a *****. Marries a prince into Royalty. Disney Princess. (Father MAY have been some sort of lord, but odds are just had a big house and bad taste in women)
Alice- IMPLIED AT THE MOST to live in some sort of fancy house (and being english that doesn't mean MUCH). Disney Princess (And princess of heart)
Aurora- First to actually be born into it AND be a Disney Princess.
Maid Marian- Is the daughter of a Baron which would Technically make her a Princess. Isn't a Disney Princess because idk foxes are icky?
Eilonwy- Is apparently a Princess, But isn't a Disney Princess.
Mouse version of Queen Victoria- Would have been a Princess before the death of her father Mouse William IV of the United Kingdom, Isn't a Disney Princess
Ariel- Born to King Triton, Marries a Human Prince, And is a Disney Princess (But not in Kingdom Hearts apparently) so is probably the only one who WAS Nobility before marrying into Nobility.
Belle- Regular Girl Marries a Prince, this is what the third one now? Disney Princess
Jasmine- Here's a First. Born into Nobility but marries a Peasant who would thus become a Prince. Disney Princess.
Nala- Mated to a King, Isn't a Disney Princess, only legally recognized by furries.
Pocohontas- Daughter of the Chief so it would be recognized, Also Disney Princess
Esmerelda- Here's where I am lost. Is a Regular Gypsie (In the book she was a regular french girl who was ADOPTED by the gypsies even). Does not marry nobility (Phoebus was basically a cop) Was not even pursued by Royalty (Frollo is a Minister of Justice in the movie and a Deacon in the book). Even the title character of the movie is not any sort of nobility and he had a thing for her. Is a Disney Princess. WAT.
Megera- Would have been a princess if she married Hercules (Greek King Heracles). Status Unknown.
Mulan. Does not marry nobility, Was not Born into Nobilty, but because she killed a bunch of "Huns" (a whole different arguement) we let her have it. Disney Princess.
Kida- Born into nobility, Becomes a Queen by the end of the movie, Disney hates her for some reason. Not a Disney Princess.
Tiana- Marries a Prince thus allowing her to become human again. Disney Princess. Also underrated movie.
Rapunzel- Born into nobility but was kidnapped. Becomes a princess again at the end. Disney Princess
Vanillope- A Glitch who was programmed as a Princess, Disney and the fans Flip Flop on it but at the end of the Movie she reliquishes the title anyway.
Elsa and Anna- Both are Disney Princess, Both were born into it, Elsa became Queen but stillr etains Disney Princess Status.
Moana- Like Pocohontas is the daughter of a chief. Disney Princess.

And then theres:
Merida- Born into it, still is one at the end but heres the kicker. IS A PIXAR CHARACTER. Dont start with me about the aquisition, it was not the Main Animation Studio. Fight me IRL. Disney Princess btw.
Esmeralda isn't considered one anymore, and I don't think Alice ever was one outside of Kingdom Hearts. But if you want a kicker, at one point Tinker Bell was considered part of the lineup.

D

Deleted member

The thing I love the most about your sprites is the fact that they look like something Nintendo would add in a Mario Maker update.
When I see them, I just imagine myself playing a Switch port where some of them pop up from a Mistery Mushroom.

Overall: great stuff that almost feels official.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Esmeralda isn't considered one anymore, and I don't think Alice ever was one outside of Kingdom Hearts. But if you want a kicker, at one point Tinker Bell was considered part of the lineup.
From a marketing standpoint, Tinkerbell's like her own thing separate from the whole at this point.

Like Tweety Bird and Looney Toons.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I finally finished my list. I'll be taking requests now.
Oh really? Well the other day I was wondering if you're able to make the erdrick one have the female counterpart. Im not sure what would need to be changed for that, and really in the game itself there isn't many things different. I'm not really a graphic artist tho, so maybe it's easier than i think .

What about piranha plant?
The incineroar one is pretty nuanced, i like the detail you put in it.

Of course, there's other characters I like that would be cool, but might not be as popular. Well Tifa is liked. Well, do what you enjoy, it's nice to see :)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I've occasionally wondered why it did that. I remember liking the film as a kid.

Granted, that was when it was on home video, not brand new in theaters, but yeah. It wasn't bad at all.
It's garnered a cult following over the years, but when it initially released, it had some nasty reviews.
It didn't help that it a terrible development cycle

It should be worth noting that Disney as a company wasn't doing that well at the time, and it was that way ever since the passing of Walt in 1966, and the studio wasn't sure what direction they wanted to take with their films. This is known as the Disney Dark Age (Or sometimes referred to as the Disney Bronze Age), spanning from 1970 - 1989. The films in this period weren't as financially successful, and usually don't have the magic touch that the older Disney films had.

Anyways, as for Black Cauldron, the film was in development for over a decade, and It ended up becoming the first Disney Animated Film to receive a PG rating. Funnily enough, it was originally gonna be much more edgy in content, So much so, that if they didn't cut the fifteen minutes of scenes that they did, it probably would have received a PG-13 or even an R rating. It didn't help that the film was the most expensive animated film at the time of it's release...

When it was released, it received a pretty negative critical reception, and only made $21 million domestically on a $44 million budget. And to make it even worse, it was out grossed at the box office by The Care Bears Movie which came out around the same time

Disney almost went bankrupt after the film's release, but thankfully, their next movie, The Great Mouse Detective was a critical and financial successes that ultimately recouped it's budget, and gave Disney enough to work on a little movie you may know as the Little Mermaid, which started the Disney Renaissance, a period from 1989 to 1999 where Disney was at the top of their game, releasing critical and financial hits such as the aforementioned Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King...

So let's just say within 5 years after it's release, Disney was doing fine and dandy. Though with all of the trouble it caused, Disney almost never acknowledges the film, and has only been released on home video once in 1998, and Elionwy is not considered to be a Disney Princess

As you may or may not tell, I am a pretty big Disney nut

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My favorite ones out of that list are Beauty and the Beast, Lilo and Stitch, and Mulan. I’d say almost all of these are worth a watch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My favorite ones out of that list are Beauty and the Beast, Lilo and Stitch, and Mulan.
Mulan and Stich are dope for me, indeed.

Did anyone here saw the Stitch tv shows like I did?
I remember two right now.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
literally just not Pocahontas. Besides being incredibly historically inaccurate, it's also REALLY boring with really bland and forgettable music.

Mulan and Lilo & Stitch are my personal faves.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Oh really? Well the other day I was wondering if you're able to make the erdrick one have the female counterpart. Im not sure what would need to be changed for that, and really in the game itself there isn't many things different. I'm not really a graphic artist tho, so maybe it's easier than i think .

What about piranha plant?
The incineroar one is pretty nuanced, i like the detail you put in it.

Of course, there's other characters I like that would be cool, but might not be as popular. Well Tifa is liked. Well, do what you enjoy, it's nice to see :)
I'll try doing Tifa. I'll call you when it's done.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
literally just not Pocahontas. Besides being incredibly historically inaccurate, it's also REALLY boring with really bland and forgettable music.

Mulan and Lilo & Stitch are my personal faves.
In defense of Pocohontas, it isnt like Mulan is any more accurate (Huns)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'd highly recommend Mulan, The Emporer's New Groove and Tarzan,

Also, Beauty and the Beast, as long as it's not the terrible live action remake version,

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll try doing Tifa. I'll call you when it's done.
oh wow sweet :)

Back when I was thinking of trying to use rpg maker, I thought it'd be very useful to be able to do sprite art. In the end I never got around to any graphic art. It's cool to see what can be made.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd highly recommend Mulan, The Emporer's New Groove, Tarzan, and if it's not the terrible live action remake version, Beauty and the Beast
Oh lord the Beauty and the Beast live action remake

I’m all for LGBT representation but I feel making LeFou gay was just shoehorned in. Doesn’t help he’s a bit of a stereotype

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'd highly recommend Mulan, The Emporer's New Groove and Tarzan,

Also, Beauty and the Beast, as long as it's not the terrible live action remake version,
Oh right, yeah I forgot the remake was on there, but yeah that distinction needs to be made, I was so disappointed in that film, especially considering the animated Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie period.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's garnered a cult following over the years, but when it released, it had some nasty reviews.
It didn't help that it a terrible development cycle

It should be worth noting that Disney wasn't doing financially well at the time, and it was that way ever since the passing of Walt in 1966, and the studio wasn't sure what direction they wanted to take with their films. This is known as the Disney Dark Age (Or sometimes referred to as the Disney Bronze Age), spanning from 1970 - 1989. The films in this period weren't as financially successful, and usually don't have the magic touch that the older Disney films had.

Anyways, as for Black Cauldron, the film was in development for over a decade, and It ended up becoming the first Disney Animated Film to receive a PG rating. Funnily enough, it was originally gonna be much more edgy in content, So much so, that if they didn't cut the fifteen minutes of scenes that they did, it probably would have received a PG-13 or even an R rating. It didn't help that the film was the most expensive animated film at the time of it's release...

When it was released, it received a pretty negative critical reception, and only made $21 million domestically on a $44 million budget. And to make it even worse, it was out grossed at the box office by The Care Bears Movie which came out around the same time

Disney almost went bankrupt after the film's release, but thankfully, their next movie, The Great Mouse Detective was a critical and financial successes that ultimately recouped it's budget, and gave Disney enough to work on a little movie you may know as the Little Mermaid, which started the Disney Renaissance, a period from 1989 to 1999 where Disney was at the top of their game, releasing critical and financial hits such as the aforementioned Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King...

So let's just say within 5 years after it's release, Disney was doing fine and dandy. Though with all of the trouble it caused, Disney almost never acknowledges the film, and has only been released on home video once in 1998, and Elionwy is not considered to be a Disney Princess

As you may or may not tell, I am a pretty big Disney nut
It shows. :shades:

But I was speaking more along the lines of why audiences of 1985-ish (I forget the exact year Black Cauldron came out) didn't like the movie, as they clearly didn't pay to come see it. There's so much historical context of pop culture and media trends that I wouldn't really be able to know since I was born in '89. Was it the darker themes and aesthetics? Was it negative press regarding the potential PG-13 rating? Were children just not interested? Were people no longer interested in Disney in the same way that we're no longer interested in M. Night Shyamalan movies? What led to what?

History is fascinating. (Also The Great Mouse Detective was my favorite movie as a child. We watched that so many times on VHS.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom