• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait, wait. What do you mean Dahte paywall? I'm lost.

Also it's kinda weird seeing people shorten DMC5 as DMCV when the name of the game is Devil May Cry 5 and not Devil May Cry V...

Is it just me?
Itsuno made a post where he essentially said "Yeah, Dante's not in Smash. Ask Nintendo to help with a Switch port and maybe he might get in!" Karn took it to mean that "No Switch Port Sales = No Dante"

Also, it's not really that weird. The logo itself has a giant-ass V plastered on it so its kinda put into your subconscious.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's what newcomers and DLC fighters I would've personally picked! Tell me what you think!

Newcomers: King K. Rool, Ridley, Inkling, Paper Mario, Simon Belmont, Breloom, Incineroar, and Wolf Link and Midna.

Echo Fighters: Daisy, Shadow, Dark Samus, Ken, Alph, Richter Belmont, Boshi, and Impa.

DLC: Pirahna Plant (still bonus), Joker, Shantae, Rayman, Slime, and Black Mage.

I tried to keep it semi-realistic, but I also made sure it stood out from any other character list!
You kept Incineroar, and even added Paper Mario.

We chill.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well I had a really rough start in that arena. I probably should have warmed up in the training room a little first.

..,That Flare Blitz read you got on me was embarrassing, KarneraMythos KarneraMythos . You could tell that my brain had kind of shut off at that point. (That's a compliment, by the way.)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright, I'll share who I'd personally pick for Newcomers:
Newcomers: Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont Inkling, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Isabelle, and Isaac

Echoes: Shadow, Richter Belmont, Ken, Dark Samus, Chrom, Daisy, Big Boss, and Blood Falcon

DLC: Inceneroar (as the bonus), Joker (good choice), Ryu, Doom Slayer, and Leon or Dante.
Honestly I went with what I thought would make the majority of people happy with the base game and then went realistic with the DLC. DLC is also what I really want to blow me away. The base game already has, and Joker was cool, but I want to fill out the rest of the roster with legacy characters.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well I had a really rough start in that arena. I probably should have warmed up in the training room a little first.

..,That Flare Blitz read you got on me was embarrassing, KarneraMythos KarneraMythos . You could tell that my brain had kind of shut off at that point. (That's a compliment, by the way.)
Mythos has been wiping the whole arena. You're good. :laugh:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Oh they don't get me down at all. I enjoy the challenge. It's why I get in these arenas. I want to play people better than I am as often as they'll let me.

I just struggle with the idea that there's a better main that I haven't found yet. I don't know if Zelda's the right one. But I haven't found anyone I'm better with. I'm struggling with, like, just feeling like I have all the mechanics down and sticking with the characters I already know is the only way to stay competitive.
Is there a specific kind of play-style you're into? Maybe you can work off the flow of a character, like how good they are at bullying others (i.e. rushdown), or keeping them at a distance (i.e. zoning), or a mix of both (i.e. jack of all trades). There's so many characters though, so I understand it taking a while to find "the one" (or the one "style" at least).

Yeah, the PS2 was the first gaming console I owned that was purely my own. Its games are really dear to me so seeing any of my childhood heroes hit the big time would be so amazing for me. In hindsight, Sora really didn't click for me until 2.5, so the nostalgia for him isn't as powerful.

But hey, DMC's back, and so is SMT, and that's the best any guy can hope for.

Oh hell yeah! Those splash screens rock!

The super nintendo was my first personal console unless you count parents buying one to be a totally-different thing. If so, then you can say this for my Playstation 2 since I had one as well. I also owned 2 Gamecubes (my younger brother was 4 at the time and ruined the first one). Ironically enough, I only had experiences with the Mega Man Legacy Collection, the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy + Deadlocked, Crazy Taxi, DDR, and some other games I can't remember.

It wasn't until way later that I was able to play some of the classics on that system. Hell, I knew what Xenosaga was and I'll admit I had a precocious crush on KOS-MOS back then too. That's where my soft spot for her comes in, and it's only a matter of time until I can say I've played her games, as well as Dante's and Demi-Fiend's.

Speaking of which~
Devil_May_Dab.jpg

Wait, wait. What do you mean Dahte paywall? I'm lost.

Also it's kinda weird seeing people shorten DMC5 as DMCV when the name of the game is Devil May Cry 5 and not Devil May Cry V...

Is it just me?
I was cracking a joke at how Itsuno is holding Dante hostage against any hope of getting him in Smash. Essentially, "to get Dante in Smash, you gotta support the series for a Switch port [wink-wink, nudge-nudge]"

Idon already explained that Itsuno was being jokey/self-deprecative, so my joke no longer really applies :p

I suppose you could say I was... fishing for it.
Fishing.png

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, it's 8:05, if nobody joins the CAH game I'm letting it close.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Is there a specific kind of play-style you're into? Maybe you can work off the flow of a character, like how good they are at bullying others (i.e. rushdown), or keeping them at a distance (i.e. zoning), or a mix of both (i.e. jack of all trades). There's so many characters though, so I understand it taking a while to find "the one" (or the one "style" at least).
I don't know. I basically skipped For. I've spent the entire month of December and now the last week (took a long break for other things) to work off the rust and Brawl-era muscle memory. I've almost always been a zoner, with Link and then ZSS. But I have a lot of core mechanics problems that I'm still working through. It shows when I'm playing someone clearly above my level, because I whiff and waste moves in neutral just trying to get something to land.

I know how to play fighting games, but Smash Ultimate specifically is something I'm just not feeling like I'm getting yet. It's involved a lot of me beating my head against a wall so far.

D

Deleted member

Okay I had time to reflect on my previous Roster and I am sorry for being an absolute Idiot here's what I would choose while being within the realm of possibility.

Newcomers (and their order of reveal from first to last): Inklings > Incineroar/Everyone is here > Simon/Ridley > Bandana Dee/Isabelle > Geno/Isaac/K.Rool

Echoes (And their Order of reveal from first to last): Dark Samus/Ken (W/Incineroar) > Richter (W/ Simon) > Daisy (W/ BDee & Isabelle) > Chrom (W/ the last four)

DLC (And their Order of reveal from first to last): Bonus is still Piranha Plant > Joker > Erdrick > Steve, Banjo or MC > Duster > Doom Guy or Jill Valentine

Is that better?

Also Yes I wasn't actually Entirely over that one leak but I am now I don't want to argue anymore tonight I still need to reflect

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't know. I basically skipped For. I've spent the entire month of December and now the last week (took a long break for other things) to work off the rust and Brawl-era muscle memory. I've almost always been a zoner, with Link and then ZSS. But I have a lot of core mechanics problems that I'm still working through. It shows when I'm playing someone clearly above my level, because I whiff and waste moves in neutral just trying to get something to land.

I know how to play fighting games, but Smash Ultimate specifically is something I'm just not feeling like I'm getting yet. It's involved a lot of me beating my head against a wall so far.
I understand the feeling. I feel that way about BBTAG. There are "basic" combo tutorials in the game and on youtube and yet I seldom replicate them in training, mainly because the frame window for certain combos are brutal. That's not even getting into UNIST, which is even harder to learn both for combos and the neutral.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
GGs staindgrey staindgrey @ShotoStar KarneraMythos KarneraMythos @ShinyLegendary

Alright I'm making a serious move. I think I'm just gonna drop Zelda. She's just not worth it for me.
Unfortunately, Zelda seems fated to be this clunky weird character with no combos or range, but just killing moves which set the enemy too far away to pressure.
If I had my way, I'd seriously overhaul her.

Here's my current wishlist for Zelda:
  • A new fair or bair so that she's got another tool
  • A new dair that has more range, killing power, and general speed
  • a nair that extends outwards more
  • a dtilt that knocks the enemy straight up
  • an ftilt that can be angled
  • A Dsmash and USmash whose range isn't complete garbage and trades with literally anything
  • A FSmash that summons a light rapier to make a long range stab
  • A Down B that can be manually released
  • A Side B which is just straight up Palutena's Side B but single hit.
  • And just give the woman some SPEED. She can't follow up for crap.

NineS

Smash Lord
Hey, quick question.
So, I just got into Elite Smash for the first time, with my main, Piranha Plant.

And it takes ages for the matches in elite smash to actually come up, so...

I was wondering. How to I revert to regular quick play to play with my Piranha Plant and get my GSP up on the other fighters?

Also, I meant it those months ago when I said I was going to become a piranha plant main. I'm no longer a sapling.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, quick question.
So, I just got into Elite Smash for the first time, with my main, Piranha Plant.

I was wondering. How to I revert to regular quick play to play with my Piranha Plant and get my GSP up on the other fighters?
Just move your puck over to a nonElite character and it'll auto revert to normal quickplay. Clicking on an elite character will do the opposite and turn on elite again.

Happy Smashing.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Man, K. Rool is so fun but his moves are just way too laggy and he gets beat around too much.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay I had time to reflect on my previous Roster and I am sorry for being an absolute Idiot here's what I would choose while being within the realm of possibility.

Newcomers (and their order of reveal from first to last): Incineroar > Simon/Ridley > Bandana Dee/Isabelle > Geno/Isaac/K.Rool

Echoes (And their Order of reveal from first to last): Dark Samus/Ken (W/Incineroar) > Richter (W/ Simon) > Daisy (W/ BDee & Isabelle) > Chrom (W/ the last four)

DLC (And their Order of reveal from first to last): Bonus is still Piranha Plant > Joker > Erdrick > Steve, Banjo or MC > Duster > Doom Guy or Jill Valentine

Is that better?

Also Yes I wasn't actually Entirely over that one leak but I am now I don't want to argue anymore tonight I still need to reflect
No Inklings at all?

Plus, I think Incineroar by itself would make an underwhelming reveal, first impressions are important.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hey, quick question.

Also, I meant it those months ago when I said I was going to become a piranha plant main. I'm no longer a sapling.
Once you get ES with a fighter, you can't use them on Quickplay (unless you lose it). You can just select other fighters if you want to use them, it's regular Quickplay.

D

Deleted member

If we're talking about flaws we have playing Smash I noticed that I shield and roll more than Necessary which I need to fix and I need to improve some fundamentals like my movement and edge guarding as sometimes I unintentionally SD when I try to land a Spike (Case and point I tried spiking with Lucina and instead I SD'd cause I inputted wrong).

Any Suggestions on how to improve that would be greatly appreciated.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, it's 8:05, if nobody joins the CAH game I'm letting it close.
Sorry man. I'll happily play another time, but it's midnight and I played like four games today lol.

Also, note to self: stop going into the middle of the stage on Battlefield stages against Charizard.

D

Deleted member

No Inklings at all?

Plus, I think Incineroar by itself would make an underwhelming reveal, first impressions are important.
DANG IT I knew I was forgetting someone. How could I forget the Woomy Squad?

NineS

Smash Lord
Just move your puck over to a nonElite character and it'll auto revert to normal quickplay. Clicking on an elite character will do the opposite and turn on elite again.

Happy Smashing.
Damn, you mean I can't smash with my Plant on regular quickplay anymore?

Talk about suffering from success.
I'm intimidated by what waits for me in elite smash, but mainly because I've never done it before.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sorry man. I'll happily play another time, but it's midnight and I played like four games today lol.

Also, note to self: stop going into the middle of the stage on Battlefield stages against Charizard.
It's fine, I have other things to do.

I told Mythra Mythra I'd draw, like, 6 different things. :laugh:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm intimidated by what waits for me in elite smash, but mainly because I've never done it before.
Well you can't do it on quickplay anymore...

but arenas on the other hand you can play with whomever you want nudge nudge wink wink.

D

Deleted member

I want to do Arenas right now but 1v1's to train and improve. Anyone down for a good old fashioned 1v1?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Unfortunately, Zelda seems fated to be this clunky weird character with no combos or range, but just killing moves which set the enemy too far away to pressure.

• A Dsmash and USmash whose range isn't complete garbage and trades with literally anything
*Little Note: FTilt can be angled

It's really sad for me, b/c for a brief period of time, Zelda was my main in Ultimate.

And it's not like I'm doing significantly worse w/ her either...

But she's got so many blatant problems:
-All of aerials minus Nair have to be sweetspotted to be effective.
-USmash has no ****ing range and almost never hits consistently
-Her Specials are ****ing slow
-Her mobility is garbage

Maybe I'll try picking her up later on, but she's not going to be very viable in this game w/o some major buffs.
Heck, Rosalina may actually be a more viable option at this point.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I tell my pals I want Zelda to have a better neutral game overall, and yet they're the sort who think their mains are totally fine even though they lean toward characters who are really effective. Makes you think, eh?

The only things I'd keep are her fair and bair. I think I can land them OK, and if you keep the fair, you can convert it from your modified down tilt better than how it's set up currently (i.e. sometimes I convert dtilt into short hop fair, but not always).

Also, the Phantom can be released at different intervals whenever, unless you mean the ability to release its fully-charged state whenever as opposed to "now or later".

D

Deleted member

Came back from seeing Captain Marvel. I liked it, I thought it was a solid midtier marvel flick. I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it, but maybe because I went in with pretty low expectations, I ended up enjoying it.

The one thing I don't get is that I hear a lot of people saying that Carol was the weakest part of the movie and that Maria was better. But I honestly thought Carol was fine. Maria didn't really do or say all that much. And I certainly think Carol has more personality than T'Challa. Not that it's a high bar to surpass.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Zelda is a weird character who wins hard and loses hard.

Phantom is incredibly powerful not just in neutral, but in advantage as well. The move is super deadly when she gains stage control.

But aside from that, all she's got is footsies. She has a few good foostie tools. D-tilt combos into Fair at around 30-ish. Her grab game is really strong and Nayru's Love is punishable but annoying. F-smash is pretty strong and D-smash is really fast. But her mobility is horrible which really holds her otherwise strong footsies back a lot. Backwards dashing is really important for footsies in this game and she just doesn't do it well.

Bad air acceleration and weird aerials make her air game really weak too. Characters who can air camp her Phantom Slash are a huge pain because of this since she's bad at challenging them in the air. I'm looking at you, Peach.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

You should join one of our arenas sometime, dude. You can pick whomever you want.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Quick Battle is very w/e unless you're passionate about your Mains doing well in it. Arena is better overall, if you know where to look that is.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I am clearly the worst player in my own arena right now.

D

Deleted member

The thing about Smash Ultimate, and every other game I play as a matter of fact, is that I just don't have as much interest in doing well, or even straight up playing it. Maybe it's a puberty thing, I don't know. I hope my interest can get invigorated soon so I can play against you guys at my best!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ZephyrZ ZephyrZ I really admire your control with Zelda. Not a single move is made without a purpose. It's really inspiring to watch.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Depends on how you view it: I'm doing abysmal with Ike right now. I'm gonna have to bench him cause I am struggling trying to land anything with how slow he feels.
I view it by wins and losses. :laugh:

And by the fact that I just lost a match after dealing only 46% damage to my opponent the entire game. With no SDs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom