• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineS

Smash Lord
So I’m pretty much free the entire day with no classes so I’ve been prepping for the rest of the week and doing some artwork while listening to music. I was curious about NeiR Automata after reading someone talking about 2B in Smash.

My entire day has changed. I can’t stop listening to this. I haven’t even watched gameplay footage of this game and I wanna play it...

I just feel sad now. A bittersweet sadness and I can’t explain why.
Extremely late response, but now, you have wandered into the music of Nier.

I highly recommend for absolutely no reason whatsoever that you all also join in the world of Nier.
What's that? I'm still just a walking Nier Advert?

Hahah, I wish.

So, how much NieR talk did I miss? perhaps, NieR in smash talk?
We shall rise up. we've been discriminated against for too long, gamers.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Extremely late response, but now, you have wandered into the music of Nier.

I highly recommend for absolutely no reason whatsoever that you all also join in the world of Nier.

Hahah, I wish.

So, how much NieR talk did I miss? perhaps, NieR in smash talk?
We shall rise up. we've been discriminated against for too long, gamers.
Tbh, I haven't seen much cheering for characters atm. I'm kinda laid back on my Most-Wanted characters as well, so I feel like there isn't much of the way to discuss. Got to say though: This has been the comfiest info drought so far.

Hello Everyone ^^ how are you?
Yo! How goes the night for you, Princess of Love Cadence?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Hahah, I wish.
You're actually a complicated AI created by Yoko Taro for the sole purpose of advertising Nier and maybe getting 2B into Smash at some point.

I'm on to you. *insert Fry face*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Guess who should be sleeping right now but can't?

Hint: It starts with a "Z" and ends in an "achmac".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Curious here, but what was the current trend or fad back when you fellas were in school? This can involve speech mannerisms, clothes, whatever crap you can remember.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Curious here, but what was the current trend or fad back when you fellas were in school? This can involve speech mannerisms, clothes, whatever crap you can remember.
Oh boy, I can hardly remember due to really keeping to myself during school. I guess what I remember from the early 2000's was the alt-goth scene :yoshi:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Let's see...
Saying "Yolo" was the equivalent of what dabbing is today for a while. You either did it borderline-ironically or you hated it. The dabbing trend started when I was in High School too, I think I was in my Junior or Senior Year.
"Oppa Gangnum Style" caught on in my first year of high school.

I heard "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black-Eyed Peas a lot back in Middle School.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Interesting question. Being an early 90's boy, I remember stuff like Slammer Whammers which my uncle owned at some point. He gave me the pogs for keeps so now I have a small collection of them. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were pretty hot to talk about (though most kids my age talked about the former more). There was also that weird "S" thing that we'd draw, but have no clue where its origins are. I just remember it being the ghetto equivalent to edgy expressionism for goth/scene kids. VCR tapes were also a pretty big thing for me, and I didn't make friends until high school, so there isn't much for the socializing aspect for me to delve into.

That's basically the gist of it. Oh, and drawing fakemons were pretty popular too, I guess. I still remember a few I've made up and even repurposed one as an OC with no ties to Pokemon anymore.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, I was a child in the height of the original Pokémon craze. So... yeah.

I was in Year 12/13 (Junior/Senior Year or 11th/12th Grade for Americans) during the second big Anime wave (the time of Naruto and Bleach), but you wouldn't have known it because I'm pretty sure I was the only anime fan in my Year (Grade) of School. One time I caught people talking about Ghibli films near the tail-end of one of the school years. Year 12 was also around the time when GTA 3 became the breakout success of the GTA franchise.
After I left school I found out someone had made a fake Facebook Account using my name, which incentivized me to make my own and have an online friend help me get it deleted. I never bothered to read any of the posts so who knows what it said, it used a super generic Naruto avatar (basically this) and I wrote a message to it before it got deleted expressing my disappointment and how whoever made it clearly knew nothing about me (because I wouldn't have used a Naruto avatar).

I knew it was a fake "Me" because my name is just that rare (also it had the same school so, you know...)

I barely actually used the FB account, Social Media isn't really my thing.
Let's see...
Saying "Yolo" was the equivalent of what dabbing is today for a while. You either did it borderline-ironically or you hated it. The dabbing trend started when I was in High School too, I think I was in my Junior or Senior Year.
"Oppa Gangnum Style" caught on in my first year of high school.

I heard "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black-Eyed Peas a lot back in Middle School.
Sounds like a time to be alive.
Oh, and skateboarding. Goodness ****ing CHRIST was skateboarding shoved in my face so much as a kid!!! :yoshi:
Gnarly.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, thanks for sharing your ye olde school trends, interesting to see that the levels of cringey-ness haven’t altered one bit.
Also, thanks to KMDP KMDP for sharing that bit about the Facebook doppelgänger. Sorry they did that. :)
I hope I gave all of you a euphoric wave of delicious nostalgia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Oh right, there are also cultural differences in the "trends" :yoshi:
This was a very specific thing for my school actually.

For my time in general, I think "Yolo" was big, hating on Justin Bieber was big, Phineas and Ferb was big, Minecraft was huge

D

Deleted member

Justin Bieber was big, Minecraft was huge
Replace Justin Bieber with Ed Sheeran and Minecraft with Fortnite and you have all the current crap. Also, the kids dab all the time, then mock other kids for dabbing. It’s weird.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This was a very specific thing for my school actually.

For my time in general, I think "Yolo" was big, hating on Justin Bieber was big, Phineas and Ferb was big, Minecraft was huge
Like Zinith Zinith , I think Minecraft hit it big pretty much immediately after I graduated College (Senior Year of High School for Americans).

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Oh yeah, different school systems make things complicated...

You guys don't have different schools based on your level of intelligence, do you?

D

Deleted member

Zinith Zinith , due to currently using the mobile version and having all the avatars be tiny squares up in the corner, I keep assuming you’re Will Will on account of the black and white manga avatar. :chuckle:
Ironic considering his current avatar is is colour…

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Zinith Zinith , due to currently using the mobile version and having all the avatars be tiny squares up in the corner, I keep assuming you’re Will Will on account of the black and white manga avatar. :chuckle:
Ironic considering his current avatar is is colour…
Let me just change my Avatar to something Black and White real quick...
...I'm not going to do that (or will I? Who knows.)

Also, Thesaurus, I just realized you're not old enough to remember a life without Social Media being ubiquitous... Huh.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You remember video rental stores?

I remember Video Rental Stores. Though my family never actually used them, with the sole exception of renting SNES games from a Video Game rental store (the shop closed after a while and was never reopened, the owner moved it to a different, larger location, which also closed a few years ago).

I remember I bought Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (for the PS3) from a Blockbuster (I bought both on the same day, Oblivion was going cheap so I decided "Eh, might as well pick it up").

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let me just change my Avatar to something Black and White real quick...
...I'm not going to do that (or will I? Who knows.)

Also, Thesaurus, I just realized you're not old enough to remember a life without Social Media being ubiquitous... Huh.
Yep…
What was it like before the invention of fire social media?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I remember Video Rental Stores. Though my family never actually used them, with the sole exception of renting SNES games from a Video Game rental store (the shop closed after a while and was never reopened, the owner moved it to a different, larger location, which also closed a few years ago).

I remember I bought Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (for the PS3) from a Blockbuster (I bought both on the same day, Oblivion was going cheap so I decided "Eh, might as well pick it up").
Jeez, we used to practically LIVE in the Parkland, WA Hollywood Video Store :yoshi:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yep…
What was it like before the invention of fire social media?
Pretty much the same.

Despite what Old Folks claim the people who are the type to engage constantly in their smartphone have always found ways to keep to themselves. If they weren't looking at a Smartphone they'd be looking at something else, like a Newspaper.
I don't know what the old video rental stores I used to frequent are like since I don't live in Washington anymore. Sad. :yoshi:
Speaking of sadness.

Every time I see the boarded up shop (that used to be a Game rental store) I feel a little sad (which is often because I pass by it once a week while coming back from Grocery Shopping).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know what the old video rental stores I used to frequent are like since I don't live in Washington anymore. Sad. :yoshi:
Ah, the ‘one night’ rentals were the most evil thing on Earth. Who wants to rent the latest film for one night? Then you get overdue fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom