• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/15/umvc3-seth-killian-explains-vergil-and-iron-fist/

Quick run through of Vergil and Iron Fist by Seth Killian.

(Random blurbs follow.)

Vergil gets a double jump and an airdash during his Devil Trigger.

Vergil's Ouroboros/Dancing Swords Summon Swords super has three different modes of attack. One tracks an opponent, one circles around Vergil as a persistent hitbox, and the last mode launches swords one-by-one.

He also has some really good range on his normals (one of his standing sword slashes extended almost to midscreen). That weird sword special where he dashes across the screen slashing repeatedly has Beserker Slash-esque properties. With the addition of his projectiles (which can be combo'd into) I can see somebody playing a keepaway game with Vergil, for sure.

After watching S-Kill's rundown of Iron Fist, I'm going to have to say that I can totally see where everybody is coming from now with the Fei Long remarks. Lol. Mother****er has, essentially, eight different Rekkas that he can chain together.

Iron Fist has surprising range on some of his normals (standing fierce, for instance, has Iron Fist taking a pretty big step forward with a big 'bow to the face). It's not comparable to what was shown with Vergil (or Strider, or Ghost Rider, or anybody else), but it's not too shabby either.

I can totally agree with Gates' comment about Iron Fist being a good battery. ._. One of his status changes is the ability to increase the amount of meter he gains. The others are for offense and defense, respectively. Oh, and these status changes persist when he's tagged out.

I'm still a little disappointed with Vergil, but meh. I'm still gonna give him a shot.

Smooth Criminal

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I wrote this really good analogy on another message board and I thought I'd post it here too.

For all the stuff X-Factor does (damage & speed increase, red health regen, RC, damage & hitstun reset, chip damage nullifier, ridiculous comeback mechanic) it's basically like having a 4th character on your team. Or more accurately, having a fairy godmother for your team - If your opponent is playing Stepmother/Stepsister/Stepsister(Mole) and you're playing Fat Mouse/Hat Mouse/Cinderella and your two point characters get ***** because you were careless then your magical Fairy Godmother X-Factor comes in and helps your Phoenix beat Justin Wong and PR Balrog lets you go to the ball and meet Prince Charming even though your character is not assertive or deserving of it and arguably a horrible example of feminism and it's a deus ex machina of the highest order and you don't know how to block etc.

Comeback mechanics in games these days just really bug me. If you're getting your *** handed to you, the correct thing to do is to STOP SUCKING instead of using some broken **** that the developer put in to get out of your situations scot-free.

ss118

Smash Master
Me and my friends joke that every level of X-factor is an extra character.

So if you have level 1 x-factor with 3 characters, you have essentially 4.

If you have a level 2 x-factor with 2 characters, you essentially have 4.

And if you have a level 3 x-factor with 1 character, you essentially have 4.

Therefore you can get happy-birthday-ed and still be even.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Me and my friends joke that every level of X-factor is an extra character.

So if you have level 1 x-factor with 3 characters, you have essentially 4.

If you have a level 2 x-factor with 2 characters, you essentially have 4.

And if you have a level 3 x-factor with 1 character, you essentially have 4.

Therefore you can get happy-birthday-ed and still be even.
you also forgot dark phoenix in the equation. :)

GOD, does anyone here play online, or do we just discuss god awful characters, and place poorly in tournaments.

sanchaz47 psn

now continue discussing stupid characters like ryu or whatever happens in this thread.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I wrote this really good analogy on another message board and I thought I'd post it here too.

For all the stuff X-Factor does (damage & speed increase, red health regen, RC, damage & hitstun reset, chip damage nullifier, ridiculous comeback mechanic) it's basically like having a 4th character on your team. Or more accurately, having a fairy godmother for your team - If your opponent is playing Stepmother/Stepsister/Stepsister(Mole) and you're playing Fat Mouse/Hat Mouse/Cinderella and your two point characters get ***** because you were careless then your magical Fairy Godmother X-Factor comes in and helps your Phoenix beat Justin Wong and PR Balrog lets you go to the ball and meet Prince Charming even though your character is not assertive or deserving of it and arguably a horrible example of feminism and it's a deus ex machina of the highest order and you don't know how to block etc.

Comeback mechanics in games these days just really bug me. If you're getting your *** handed to you, the correct thing to do is to STOP SUCKING instead of using some broken **** that the developer put in to get out of your situations scot-free.
Marry me.

GOD, does anyone here play online, or do we just discuss god awful characters, and place poorly in tournaments.

sanchaz47 psn

now continue discussing stupid characters like ryu or whatever happens in this thread.
Stay salty, bro.

I'm pretty sure no one plays in tournaments except Brightside.

ss118

Smash Master
What's your point?

The Dark Phoenix hype is over; the only people who use her well enough are Clockwork and Viscant(among a small percentage of others), and even then they rely heavily on the first two characters to work. Imagine if they used a more consistent anchor, were allowed to use meter, AND gained a pretty usable assists that aren't used only to extend combos? Dark Phoenix herself isn't reliable enough; it's the first two members that make her amazing(Tokido+Viscant abuse Battery+amazing assist+Phoenix, while Clockwork is just gdlk with Ammy and Doom and has made them flexible enough to handle pretty much any situation).

I currently use Wesker/ Akuma/ Phoenix, but after downloading Jill I'm considering going Wesker/ Jill/ Akuma. Akuma would work well for Jill(I'd assume) and obviously works well with Wesker. Wesker + Jill can abuse cross-over counters to death, while Jill + Wesker can abuse the DHC glitch. Finally when one of those two gets knocked out, the other one can act as a battery w/ Akuma so that Akuma can go crazy.

Obviously Akuma doesn't make the best anchor, and he may not even be the best assist. I'm also considering Doom and Iron Man(though I'd be x-factoring early with him), among others. Magneto might also make an excellent anchor and has an awesome assist. I also like Magneto because then random snap-backs don't set me back at all.

Opinions? I already know Wesker, Akuma, Phoenix, and Doom(not the hardest roster, I know), and I'm learning Jills movement+BnB but I'm pretty much willing to learn anyone. ^_^

ss118

Smash Master
@ Lythium - King of the online Phoenix players, from what I've gathered through random bits of this thread.

Edit: What are you implying? Fine you trolled me, but I'm actually confused. @_@'

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I didn't actually troll you, bro. Just some lighthearted joshing about the timeframe of Vanilla MvC3's shortened lifespan as a tournament game and implying that Phoenix MIGHT be a threat in the next game. I don't actually see that happening, of course, but y'know.

I will say that there's a lot wrong with what you said about the first two characters having to be amazing. They don't have to be amazing. Quite simply, all they have to do is survive long enough to build up the meter. It's a matter of attrition more than it is a matter of skill.

I'm not particularly salty about Phoenix---I think she is beatable, DP or no. I just think the strats that form around any team that have Phoenix on them boils down to a meter-building race.

Smooth Criminal

ss118

Smash Master
I think in a completely competitive scenario they have to be amazing, because otherwise you'll die. Character + assist + Phoenix teams have an inherit problem of having their first character DHC glitched or x-factored out, then their second character sucks and dies since it's essentially a weak anchor without being able to use meter or x-factor. Phoenix then has three meters, has to face a mix up coming in, and then even then has to get a solid hit against a character with at least one decent assist behind it while you have none if you want to build meter- if you get the hit, you are back in the game. If you overextend yourself once, you die. If you play the fireball + runaway game, you are also working against yourself because not only are you running the clock on your own accord but you are doing the worst thing possible with phoenix - being predictable.

Character + Character + Phoenix teams generally have the issue of not being able to compete well with teams that have one good assist for the initial character. Magneto + Sentinel drones is a very common combo, and will straight up walk over most two character combinations that aren't very focused on each other. Clockwork can avoid this problem because Cold Star is an amazing assist, and then Doom has THREE amazing assists to choose on that. But that's the exception; generally the two-man composition is weak relying only on each other, because now your 3rd character is a liability till you get the five meter. And your first two might just die before that.

Phoenix is nothing by herself. She doesn't get the five meters; you have to work for it. And it's pretty hard to do anything when the game is essentially 2 v 3 until then.

Obviously this assumes that Phoenix is 100% useless without the five meters, which obviously isn't the case. She does extend combos to get more meter, but she does nothing in terms of getting you the initial hit(unless you are ballsy as hell).

If I'm wrong please tell me; I'm not the best at this game, in fact I don't consider me very good at all. If I am wrong please say so because I only get better by knowing where my logic is flawed. =D

Savon

Smash Ace
I just do not like how once Phoenix gets 5 bars it is anybodies game at that point.

I DO feel that she is beatable, but I think that you rely too heavily on the Phoenix user making a mistake.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I just spam hyper sentinel force. It works alot surprisingly if I catch them mashing...but still. That requires them to do something stupid.

Anywho, it seems like in the new game they're trying to implement power draining moves. Probably just for phoenix! Morrigans fireball, shumas grab, proooobably one of hawk eyes arrows. If thats true hawkeye would be pretty good for anti-phoenix stuffs.

OH, and apparently air-exchanges drain a meter or something weird like that. That sounds broken almost ._.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I stop posting for a few days and suddenly everyone starts discussing my character. What the hell.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
PlayStation Vita version confirmed.

I'll post something more constructive after I take my CLEP in the morning...

TL?

Smash Ace
I just spam hyper sentinel force. It works alot surprisingly if I catch them mashing...but still. That requires them to do something stupid.

Anywho, it seems like in the new game they're trying to implement power draining moves. Probably just for phoenix! Morrigans fireball, shumas grab, proooobably one of hawk eyes arrows. If thats true hawkeye would be pretty good for anti-phoenix stuffs.

OH, and apparently air-exchanges drain a meter or something weird like that. That sounds broken almost ._.
If anything TACs seem to be nerfed. There is currently only one direction(down) that builds meter. This means you can just hold down 100% to prevent your opponent from getting extra meter. Losing meter isnt a big deal(unless phoenix is on your team) since most combos seem to build enough for a hyper at the end anyways. Also consider that because of air x factor, you can cancel a TAC counter and possibly follow them up. I think we will be seeing TACs used even less often. Although, I haven't heard if fancy suspended hitstun TAC combos are still in the game or not.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If anything TACs seem to be nerfed. There is currently only one direction(down) that builds meter. This means you can just hold down 100% to prevent your opponent from getting extra meter. Losing meter isnt a big deal(unless phoenix is on your team) since most combos seem to build enough for a hyper at the end anyways. Also consider that because of air x factor, you can cancel a TAC counter and possibly follow them up. I think we will be seeing TACs used even less often. Although, I haven't heard if fancy suspended hitstun TAC combos are still in the game or not.
._.

You can interrupt TACs, bro. They're also easier to predict now because the character initiating the TAC will flash a specific color depending on what kind of TAC extension you wanna do.

If somebody decides to get predictable and hold down all the time, it's going to be stopped all the time.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom