• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UK South and South West Thread (Brawl and Melee)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
VA I'm pretty confident that my Fox will put up a good fight, although I have to admit what you said was right, I do sometimes find myself focusing on tech to much and ignore other parts of my game, but I am improving constantly and feel that I am a good standard right now

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
you do realise Trio just mind ***** you into entering brawl :laugh:
It wasn't mind **** it AT ALL it was just both of us having a bit of fun lol.
A BIG difference.
No need to be negative about a minor situation lol.

that was me.

prof can we enter brawl teams together? lol
lol Yeah I might do just cos it would be jokes.
But I will only be entering in that because I don't wanna spend £10 on brawl altogether and I OBVIOUSLY don't play brawl alot so i'm not amazing and will end up going a character which is mostly similar in melee lol.

VA I'm pretty confident that my Fox will put up a good fight, although I have to admit what you said was right, I do sometimes find myself focusing on tech to much and ignore other parts of my game, but I am improving constantly and feel that I am a good standard right now
EVERYONE is talking about how they have improved which is really good lol.
Cos it shows peoples determination to improve.

I hope this tournament helps to outline the levels of people a bit better due to PH2 pools (even though it was good) not giving everyone an idea of where everyone is.
Like i'm not really sure who is better out of Yeniths ans L-J and players like that.

Looking at the tournament and this potential attendance, we are looking at a 32 man bracket right lol.....it has to be.
Or unless it could be more but I don't think that would be needed.

BUT A 32 MAN BRACKET JUST SOUNDS REALLY EXCITING lol.
I can't wait to see where everyone places and who makes it out of pools and stuff cos, I dunno why but I just get happy seeing where everyone is at lol.

VA

Smash Hero
I know it's kind of stupid to enter but we'll both play D3, I've done it before and got 2nd in Brawl doubles. Just play D3, he's campy, easy and powerful.

VA

Smash Hero
It's just a joke anyway. I'm actually ok at brawl and have played it more than I care to admit.

I'm going to enter and try at singles...

Also: time constraint and 32 man bracket. Is it really going to work out? I mean pools and 32 man bracket is a lot of smash that needs to be played...

how many people are you expecting? PH2 there were what 32 people and a 14/16 man bracket I dunno. but pools took REALLY long to finish, 8 pools of 4 people 6 matches to be played with a potential of between 12 - 18 games per pool. Now I don't know how many people are going to be at the ranbat but I'm guess there must be 40+ to warrant a 32 man bracket otherwise pools are kind of pointless (losing 8 players through pools is not worth it). Say 44 which would be 11 pools of 4, which is 66 matches to be played with the potential of...a lot of games before bracket starts, not to mention the bracket which takes ages.

I worry about it, but it's not up to me and I see the good points about doing it. Just wondering whether it's really possible to fit it in a day. I'm sure it will get done and my maths could be a bit dodgy.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
woo well done, but er, didnt you take your a-levels already? also for what subject?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
It's just a joke anyway. I'm actually ok at brawl and have played it more than I care to admit.

I'm going to enter and try at singles...

Also: time constraint and 32 man bracket. Is it really going to work out? I mean pools and 32 man bracket is a lot of smash that needs to be played...

how many people are you expecting? PH2 there were what 32 people and a 14/16 man bracket I dunno. but pools took REALLY long to finish, 8 pools of 4 people 6 matches to be played with a potential of between 12 - 18 games per pool. Now I don't know how many people are going to be at the ranbat but I'm guess there must be 40+ to warrant a 32 man bracket otherwise pools are kind of pointless (losing 8 players through pools is not worth it). Say 44 which would be 11 pools of 4, which is 66 matches to be played with the potential of...a lot of games before bracket starts, not to mention the bracket which takes ages.

I worry about it, but it's not up to me and I see the good points about doing it. Just wondering whether it's really possible to fit it in a day. I'm sure it will get done and my maths could be a bit dodgy.
The last Ranbat which had a ridiculous amount of flakes was like 30-35ish.....
So GT2 will be more then 40+ entering for melee.
It will prob be 50-55+ because it isn't a little event it is a tournament so no-one is gonna wanna miss it which is why I suggested it.

Alot of Londoners flake at each ranbat because they are busy and obviously they can go to another ranbat.....but this is a UK National Tournament....no-one is gonna wanna miss this, PLUS MORE of the out of London people will come to this.

And remember it is a two day event. So what is not fully finished on the first can be done on the second where the venue opens 3 and a half hours earlier.
So we do have quite a bit of time.

So I def think the 32man bracket will be needed.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Looking at the current UK player list, we can expect a maximum of 65 people, the number of ppl on that list who are currently active in England (I didn't include Scotland). A few of those are fringe/don't travel so looking at 50+ for melee is hopeful but not impossible

Also, I think i just found a new person who lives in buckingham to tempt into the scene (he's been on smashboards for a long time) and I'm hopefully gonna train my housemates up to a reasonable tournament level if they are up for it, just trying my hardest for my new region :/

VA

Smash Hero
Oh I thought you were talking 32 man bracket for the ranbat xD

National tournament is fine.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
lool Nahhh I def know that 32 man bracket for Monthlies is dumb.
Im exicited about it for the National Tournament cos I just want to see where everyone is sooo badly lol.

All questions will be answered.

Tamoo - Are you talking about a maximum of 65+ for MELEE at the National Tournament?
I think this is possible anyway cos quite a few of these spots get filled up with REALLY random people lol.

I think i'm gonna start getting a semi-confirmed list going in the Gt2 thread.

Tamoo

Smash Master
nah a maximum of 65, 65 was the number of currently active ppl in the uk on that list.

And yeah, there's always a few randomers, and maybe even brawlers :o
Also, just remembered another few players like moogled and the person he always brings, there's bound to be quite a few randomers

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Nahhhh...lol It will be wayyy more then 65+

We have had a 70+ turnout at a London Monthly before and that still included not all of the regular out of london people who come to smash tournaments there.

The maximum we could get could be 100+ for both games.

Don't let a list drag you into a set number of people coming because there arew WAYYY more people in the community which aren't on the boards and just started and all that stuff.

Tamoo

Smash Master
65 is ambitious for melee, we've had 70+ maybe when combining melee and brawl, a lot of them ppl are brawl exclusive

All we can do is advertise this as much as possible to make it big :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Well I am starting to create a confirmed list in the other thread so mayb you can help me out a bit.

I know 65 is BIGGGG but I did say maximum anyway lol.
It could be done if a few people entered both events plus is the majortiy of the UK came AND plus random people but of course we still just have to see.

But when we had 70+ with combination of both games brawl only had like 7 more people then melee but stilll if we get all the people who are intrerested to come and plus the random people I think we could get quite alot.

VA

Smash Hero
the biggest UK tournament ever was GGT2, I think that had about 50 odd people. Hopefully SmashGT2 can break the record, the location should aid the attendance.

ran bats don't exist anymore, it's the monthlies.

Kone

Smash Master
Smash Glasgow, lol , had 100+ entrants for melee. It is still easily the largest UK tournament I have been to in terms of number of people there, number of pools and number of televisions available :)

VA

Smash Hero
I guess that was international, must have been ****ing ages ago.

History to me only began when I joined so it's kind of a ******** view. I don't feel like SmashGT had many more than 50 but I dunno.

Kone

Smash Master
Hmm it had a few international players namely; MrSilver, Rune, Johnyboy and Doraki. Other than that it was all British. It was the first large UK tournament (earleir tournies ran by myself and Doug hadn't yet got a full UK turnout i.e. likes of me, Jam, Scott and others hadn't played one another yet). Plus, it was ran at glasgow uni and advertised really well so there was a bucketload of random noobs lol.

SmashGT didn't have more than 50 :/

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Well smash gt 2 should get 100 if everyone in the UK goes + maybe some europeans as well. Make this haaaaappen.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It'd be really cool if Ant started attending again, haven't seen that little Asian in a while. <3

Is it true he's maining Falcon now?

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I dont think there are even 100 players in the UK even counting the ones that are inactive now.

Aiko might be attending events again btw
I recall there's like 50 odd players in London, about 25 active players in EM with about 10 more inactive ones and about 20-30 inactive NW players as well. There's also the Scottish SO UR WONG

+

There's about 30 random Brawl scrubs in London that go to the London expos as well

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I recall there's like 50 odd players in London, about 25 active players in EM with about 10 more inactive ones and about 20-30 inactive NW players as well. There's also the Scottish SO UR WONG

+

There's about 30 random Brawl scrubs in London that go to the London expos as well
20-30 NW players?
25 EM players?

Unless you mean brawl players as well

lol if you say so. We'll just see how many are at this tournament

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gunna book anything until after my exams, but if I'm free I'm definately coming to smash gt.

Aikos use habbits seem to be main falcon, second falco.

Thanks again for the get together.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I'm not gunna book anything until after my exams, but if I'm free I'm definately coming to smash gt.

Aikos use habbits seem to be main falcon, second falco.

Thanks again for the get together.
no prob Andy :) it's always a huge pleasure to have you over. Thanks for O2 jam btw

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
He's got o2jam now so in a week or so he'll be better than any djmax player :)

Top Bottom