• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Truly Unique

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Samus is the only character whose aerials all autocancel. Metaknight is the only character whose B moves all act as a recovery.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
DDD is the only character that has projectiles that have free will

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Ah, good catch DJBrowny. I had a feeling I was being a little rash saying that Metaknight was the only character with the aforementioned statement. Thanks for the clarification.

Marth has the only bair that turns him around.
Not trying to bash, but this has been said already. Just a few pages back.

Frown

poekmon
Pretty sure TL is the only character who has a smash attack with zero knockback.

Isn't Bowser the only character with an attack that lets the opponent steer his movement..?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
And Snake is the only char with a Smash attack that the damage is not dependent on the charge (up smash)

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Ness has Dsmash and Usmash which are also not dependant on charge.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm agreeing with you, but the way you're saying it could be better.
Well as long as you understood it, that's all that really matters.

Isn't Bowser the only character with an attack that lets the opponent steer his movement..?
I think so. But for them to steer his movement, they have to be at lower percent than Bowser. Otherwise he can force them to a Bowsercide.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Bowser is the only character to get a +10 frame advantage when a character releases from his grab (he only suffers 20 frames of grab release lag, most suffer 30), regardless of character, except if they air release or if they slide too far from grab release. DK can do this too, but he needs to put them in the cargo position first before doing so, so I guess it's sort of unique to bowser. Also, Bowser sideB is the only special of its kind to give him an infinite second jump recovery.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if this one counts as anything unique, but some might agree.

:pit: It appears that while he can loop his Arrows, they never actually have a duration on how long they're out for unless they hit a shield, the opponent, a wall or simply goes into the blast zone. Not to mention that because of his Arrows having no duration, he's also able to loop up to at least five Arrows. Maybe more, I don't know.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, G&W has the only "reflector" that creates a different attack instead of the opponent's projectile, making it almost a projectile specific "counter".

-Ran

Smash Master
Snake is the only character that has control of an item he spawns after he throws it. He is able to strip grenades from someone that is holding them, and he can cause a thrown grenade to lose all velocity.

Marth is the only character that has two different hitboxes on every attack he has to determine if he 'tips' or not for greater knockback/damage.

Mario is the only character that can utilize his 'cape' to maintain momentum whenever he's running off the stage.

Samus is the only character that is capable of a one way transformation without the aid of Smashballs.

Pit is the only character that can be gimped out of his Up B and not regain it.

Wolf is the only character with a reflector that has invincibility frames.

Game and Watch is the only character that has an aerial that does no damage, only knockup. [Uair]

Ganondorf is the only character that has a 'suck in' effect on a tilt.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Another fun fact about Snake, if not already stated is that he can place his down B on his opponents.

Browny

Smash Hater
Snake is the only character that has control of an item he spawns after he throws it. He is able to strip grenades from someone that is holding them, and he can cause a thrown grenade to lose all velocity.
This is getting far too specific, you cant classify this as unique. by the same token, diddy is the only char with a projectile that trips etc, it could go on forever.

Marth is the only character that has two different hitboxes on every attack he has to determine if he 'tips' or not for greater knockback/damage.
does usmash even have a non tipper at all? afaik it only has one type of hit. also upb doesnt work the same, and counter most definitely doesnt work this way.

Mario is the only character that can utilize his 'cape' to maintain momentum whenever he's running off the stage.
Sheik's upb does this too

Samus is the only character that is capable of a one way transformation without the aid of Smashballs.
Again... this is getting highly specific.

Pit is the only character that can be gimped out of his Up B and not regain it.
Diddy?

Game and Watch is the only character that has an aerial that does no damage, only knockup. [Uair]
it does damage, 16% or something rdiciulous with both hitboxes lol. and for the wind effect only, other attacks do that too such as TL dair.

not 100% sure on some of them though... :/

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
G&W is the only character who can spawn food directly. Diddy can spawn a peanut, which when broken can be food, but I think this is only when items are set on, but I'm not entirely sure.

G&W is the only character whose throws all share the same animation.

G&W is the only "2D" character. He is the only character who does not appear differently in a neutral pose on Flat Zone 2 and Hanenbow as opposed to other stages.

G&W is the only character whose texture consists of a single color (as shown by texture hacking's issues with him forcing the use of his metal box texture).

Snake is the only character with custom sounds dedicated to eating food.

Snake is the only character whose taunts all share the same animation. Furthermore, he can shorten it's duration. It's also an item projectile (can be grabbed).

Uair does do damage... it has a very large windbox, but the mouth part does damage and knockback.

DDD is the only character with a tilt attack that's completely disconnected from his hurtbox.
G&W's Utilt.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
G&W's Uair is not a windbox, it's something similar to the effect you can find on the summit, PS 2 and pirate ship.

It's different from normal windboxes.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Sorry, but it's a windbox. A windbox resets momentum of a character affected by it and then it adds a push after it cancels their momentum. The effect on those stages is just lowered gravity, they dont actually push you up.

Thanks for playing.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Quite a few characters can do this. Sheik's Vanish Gliding, Toon Link and Link's boomerangs, Ness and Lucas's PKTs, etc.

Fox's has invincibility, and there's talk of Falco's having invincibility upon reflecting as well.

Uair has damage and regular knockback. You just have to hit with the actual attack portion, not the windbox. O_o

A few characters have similar wind effects.

I'm not sure if this one counts as anything unique, but some might agree.

:pit: It appears that while he can loop his Arrows, they never actually have a duration on how long they're out for unless they hit a shield, the opponent, a wall or simply goes into the blast zone. Not to mention that because of his Arrows having no duration, he's also able to loop up to at least five Arrows. Maybe more, I don't know.
I think it's 4 max. The 5th one makes the 1st one disappear iirc.
Bowser is the only character to get a +10 frame advantage when a character releases from his grab (he only suffers 20 frames of grab release lag, most suffer 30), regardless of character, except if they air release or if they slide too far from grab release. DK can do this too, but he needs to put them in the cargo position first before doing so, so I guess it's sort of unique to bowser. Also, Bowser sideB is the only special of its kind to give him an infinite second jump recovery.
Kirby's sideB lets him get his jumps back too, but Bowser's is the only one which gives your jump back if it's canceled into the ground. <<

Though there was something about Luigi that I forget.
Jigglypuff is the only character whose Up B cannot act as a form of recovery.
Up B extends the ledge-grab range and moves her slightly up iirc.
And Snake is the only char with a Smash attack that the damage is not dependent on the charge (up smash)
Wait, then what does charging it do? O_o

Samus is the only character whose aerials all autocancel. Metaknight is the only character whose B moves all act as a recovery.
This is false. Samus is not the only character who can autocancel all aerials. She just has very low landing lag on all aerials.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Olimar:
-Only character with a completely non-damaging neutral B (impossible to do damage with the move itself).
-Only character with no grab armor.
-Only attack that changes with the terrain that actually has an effect on gameplay (pikmin pluck percentages and speed).

Have at it, sirs.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Falcon- Only character to have two taunts for a single input (Down Taunt facing left or right)?

Ice Climbers- Only projectile who's speed changes based on the angle of terrain on which it travels

Mario- Only character with a move that can create waterboxes and nothing else

Bowser- Only character who's dash is lower than their duck/crawl (yoshi?)
-Only character to shake the screen upon HeavyLanding (DeDeDe?)

Link- Only character with an on-screen-appearance differing from their Smash64 one

Zelda- Only character to have a taunt changed into a victory pose from Melee to Brawl

Toon Link- Only character with a single hitbox zair

Samus- Only character with a one-way transformation (under normal circumstances)

Pit- Only character with a side B that can be held out forever

R.O.B.- Only character without legs
-Only character with a bair that shifts his momentum forward

Metaknight- Only character with transcendental properties on physical attacks

DeDeDe- Only character that requires an additional input to grab the ledge out of up-B
-Only character with a charge attack that allows jumping during its charge

Fox- Only character who was "decloned" from their Melee counterpart's clone, so to say (New bair, while Falco kept the old one)

Falco- Only winged character without the ability to glide

Wolf- Only character that has a projectile attack that also functions as a physical one (Melee Ice Climbers could be spoken for as well)

Pikachu- Only character who can up-B in two directions in a row
-Only character with a projectile that follows walls and ceilings

Squirtle- Only character with water element hurtboxes (cause extra damage to Charizard)

Charizard- Only character with a D-smash that can not hit aerial opponents

Ivysaur- Only character with a nair that sends downward

Ike- Only character with a neutral B spike

Lucas- Only projectile that can hit the same target more than once (Ness's PK fire creates different hurtboxes)

Game and watch- Only character that can unstale moves without hitting anything (uair always acts to unstale no matter what)

Sonic- Only character that can cancel two moves with a shield

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I was thinking about this the other day i would like to list each characters true unique abilities. Unique as in they are the ONLY character in the whole game to have that feature. (Also exclude items and their effects from this. i.e franklin badge, final smashes, star rod etc.)

:mario2: -?
:luigi2: -Only character with a higher probability of tripping (2% instead of 1%)
-Luigi is the only character who can get stuck in a wall.
:peach: - Is the only character that can float.
Is 1 of 2 characters with luck based moves
:bowser2: - Has 10 less frames on release animation
:dk2: - The only character with a throw where you are able to pick another direction, aswell move around while using it. (Fthrow)
- Only move in the game that can bury opponents into the ground.
:diddy: -Only charcter with a built in footstool. >B in the air.
:yoshi2: - Is the only character to have a different sheild. He can't jump out of shield, but he is unable to be shield poked.
:warioc: -Has the only "grab" that can be held out. (Bite)
-Wario is the only character with four taunts.
:link2:-?
:zelda:- Can transform in another character
:shiek:- Can transform in another character
:ganondorf:-?
:toonlink:-?
:samus2: - ?
:zerosuitsamus:- Only character with stunning properties.
Spawns armor pieces at the start of the game
:pit: - Has no meteor cancel
:popo: -The only character to made up of two different entaties.(hurtboxes)
:rob: - Has a footstool animation allowing for infinites
:kirby2:-Is the only character able to copy abilities.
:metaknight:-?
:dedede:- Has the worst air speed in the game
:olimar:- Moves are based entirely on pikmen.(Kinda broad but i don't know how to word it)
:fox:- Fastest faller in the game
:falco:-?
:wolf:-?
:falcon:?
:pikachu2:-?
:squirtle:-Only character to have multiple dash animations
::ivysaur:-He is the only character that can cancel his crouch before the animation is complete.
:charizard:- - Only character who's attack's color changes depending on the stage.
:lucario:- Only character whose damage output increases as ones own damage gets higher. Aura
-Only character with an attack that is a grab and a projectile
:jigglypuff: - Only character to die when the shield is broken
-only move that puts characters to sleep.
-only move that places a flower on the head
:marth:- Only character with a bair that makes him switch direction
:ike:-?
:ness2: -Has the only smashes that have an active hitbox during the charging animation
:lucas:-Has the only zair in the game that isn't an attack.
-Lucas is the only character who will turn-around automatically in response to outside stimuli.(downB)
:gw:- 1 of 2 charas with luck based moves
His DJ makes it look like he's turned around
Releasing his smashes is really fast (like 2 frames)
:snake:- Dsmash is the only smash that remains out until something or someone hits it.
:sonic:-?

If anyone can help fill in the ? marks, it would be helpful. Also if some charactrs have more it would be nice to know about them. It would interesting if we can find something for every character.

I do not want AT's either, as every character has them that are unique.
Yo fixed some **** and added alot : D

LuLLo

Smash Ace
For Pit getting gimped out of his Up B, that's really vague. And here's why. The following characters can be grab gimped out of their Up B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grRjmrvcy_I&fmt=18
Just a quick statement, that video is full of nonsense, some chars which were dubbed as not being able to recover CAN recover, they can just fall back to the stage and use their Up-B. I know for sure Ike will make it, Link I'm 50% sure of.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I thought we were avoiding superlatives?

Meta Knight is the only character that can glide twice without landing.

Meta Knight is the only character with 4 special attacks that leave him helpless.

Also, <3 SkyPirateCoud.

Frown

poekmon
Ice Climbers are the only characters who can walk normally on ice.

Falco is the only character whose first jump goes further than his up B recov... F***ING YOSHI :mad:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ROB is the only character whose up-B does not come back to them right away from touching the stage.

ROB can hold three charges: laser, top, and UP-B

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It does do damage, you just have to actually hit with it.
TL's Dair gives the wind effect too.

Edit: Wooow I totally thought this was on the last page when I quoted it. @_@

Kink-Link5 said:
Samus doesn't have one?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Those can't change the movement of Yoshi or Kirby.
Kirby moves when people try to struggle out when he's on the ground, you can see it in the animation, but it's veeeery slight
Falcon- Only character to have two taunts for a single input (Down Taunt facing left or right)?

Ice Climbers- Only projectile who's speed changes based on the angle of terrain on which it travels

Mario- Only character with a move that can create waterboxes and nothing else

Bowser- Only character who's dash is lower than their duck/crawl (yoshi?)
-Only character to shake the screen upon HeavyLanding (DeDeDe?)

Link- Only character with an on-screen-appearance differing from their Smash64 one

Zelda- Only character to have a taunt changed into a victory pose from Melee to Brawl

Samus- Only character with a one-way transformation (under normal circumstances)

Pit- Only character with a side B that can be held out forever
iirc, Pit's goes away after like 20 seconds or something, I'm not sure
R.O.B.- Only character without legs
-Only character with a bair that shifts his momentum forward

Metaknight- Only character with transcendental properties on physical attacks
Lucario has transcendent priority on physical attacks as well, but has hitboxes on his paws as well, but nothing clanks with aura bursts.
DeDeDe- Only character that requires an additional input to grab the ledge out of up-B
-Only character with a charge attack that allows jumping during its charge
I think Sonic counts for the charging attack
Fox- Only character who was "decloned" from their Melee counterpart's clone, so to say (New bair, while Falco kept the old one)

Falco- Only winged character without the ability to glide

Wolf- Only character that has a projectile attack that also functions as a physical one (Melee Ice Climbers could be spoken for as well)
Frying Pan
Pikachu- Only character who can up-B in two directions in a row
-Only character with a projectile that follows walls and ceilings

Squirtle- Only character with water element hurtboxes (cause extra damage to Charizard)

Charizard- Only character with a D-smash that can not hit aerial opponents

Ivysaur- Only character with a nair that sends downward

Ike- Only character with a neutral B spike

Lucas- Only projectile that can hit the same target more than once (Ness's PK fire creates different hurtboxes)

Game and watch- Only character that can unstale moves without hitting anything (uair always acts to unstale no matter what)

Sonic- Only character that can cancel two moves with a shield
Fixes in yellow.

Oh and DK: The only character with more than four throws from a standard grab.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Up B extends the ledge-grab range and moves her slightly up iirc.

This is false. Samus is not the only character who can autocancel all aerials. She just has very low landing lag on all aerials.
I would have to agree that Jigglypuff's Up B extends ledge-grab range, but I'm not positive about moving her up slightly. I guess the way to test this is by using all the jumps, wait until it's clear Jigglypuff is falling, and then use Up B.

Turns out I was false on the Samus one anyways. I just checked the old autocancelled aerials thread and Peach can also autocancell all her aerials. I'm still pretty sure that Samus can autocancel all aerials though.

NatP

Smash Ace
IC's are also the only characters that don't slide on ice. And g&w is the only 2D character if that accounts for anything. xD

Top Bottom