• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... just a random thought... is tripping the reason why there's no combos in Brawl? I mean, thing about it... let's just say, for argument's sake, that tripp ing was in Melee... how many death combos could that possibly lead to?

But yeah, tripping sucks.
Relative speeds in Brawl prevent the combos we were used to.

All tripping would have done to Melee was put a chance that a combo may not work. Not to mention creating openings for combo creation.

But I don't think air dodging causes tripping, and wavedashing was the main form or movement besides aerials anyway.

Dashdancing would probably be out too.

L__

Smash Master
Hmm... just a random thought... is tripping the reason why there's no combos in Brawl? I mean, thing about it... let's just say, for argument's sake, that tripping was in Melee... how many death combos could that possibly lead to?

But yeah, tripping sucks.
There's a huge difference between the running speeds of Melee, and Brawl.

Yes, it would affect Melee comboing, AT TIMES.

In Brawl, tripping does not often affect comboing.

Stop B*TCHING about it.

Everyone uses tripping as a john. I went to a tournament and played Melee+Brawl for 2 hours. I didn't trip a single time, get over it.

fredymartinez1

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is messed up.... If mario tripped on his own games he would easily die.... What game has tripping that's so fun....

L__

Smash Master

Brawl.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I MADE A FUNNY!

Just kidding you guys, no need to get pissed off...

Vall3y

Smash Lord
Vall3y this is possibly the dummest, least backed up, claim ive heard on this whole site so far...
and who cares when i join i just heard of this site 1 month ago... i just got internet 3 months ago... and so what if i take advantage of the fact that you can post alot on this site...

GET OVER IT!!!!

also stop abusing women

also also inB4lock

also also also, you've been here for 3 years and you dont have a single friend or even visitor message but ive been here a month and i have 34+ friends and 50+ visitor messages...
posting 12 posts a day which means you post every 3/4 hour on average (assuming you sleep 8 hours), and having many friends on the internet. wow i envy you, you are so successful

also also also also visitor massages are something added maybe one month or two months ago, newb

alsoalsolasolaolsoalsolaosalo be sure i got respected in the falcon melee forums, before the assault of the brawl fanboys. real respect not visitor massage or friend system, lol.

now get out of my thread july 08 12 posts/day

for the last time in the thread: ITS NOT ABOUT ARE YOU AGAINST TRIPPING OR NOT

The generalization that "random = bad" is usually true, but flawed. There are some exceptions. Sometimes random elements in small doses can add depth by forcing players to be ready to react in different ways depending on the outcome.
you win
random can be good. example: magic the gathering which is >>>>>>>>>> smash bros in its size

Too bad your reasoning is complete garbage. less options cannot equal a deeper game. obviously there is time for walking, and in Melee and Brawl, i see these options, regardless of whether or not tripping might be involved.

...what a waste.
running has not be removed as far as i know, just nerfed
nerfing one element in a game can make the other element more viable thus making the game deeper, son
for example: brawl's defensive options are so good compared to offensive ones it sucks, unlike melee where there is a balance between them so you can choose which option to use
better example but fictional one: if fox was x300 better than every other char the game wasnt interesting because everyone would pick fox. a bit extreme but correct
now gtfo

Vall3y

Smash Lord
i like all the smartie pants hmm lets see

Tripping does not add depth.

That is all.
WOW man you are so cool you just came and stated something like you're someone and we should listen to you just because you said it, very cool man

/endofthread?
/endofspammingandtrollingmythread?

*looks at Thread title*
*reads first couple of lines of OP*

/facepalm
oh man you're the best!!!!! very cool teach me please

you are ignoring my points and confusing them with unrelated things, like, the fact it adds depth doenst have anything to do if im rooting for tripping or not, or if they're stupid or not. i also cant have a discussion when i state my arguments then you just say 'triping is dumb lol1' or 'random=luck=n00b=lol' so please try hard and come up with a serious answer or gtfo my thread ty bai

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Last time I checked, you can only shield, dash attack, grab, jump, or dash [in either direction] out of running.

Out of walking, you have your entire moveset available.

Tripping.. it doesn't add much. Walking's already better than running except for the moving speed.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Your point has already been proven invalid,Valley. Also what of my posts before?

And did you not read the quote above what I typed in my post before you quoted it?

And yes,random does=luck,as nothing you can do changes the fact that it is RANDOM.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
sorry i just have a hard time following real posts because of all the spam going on

you can call random luck, but it doesnt necessarily means its bad. for example, whats more luck based than a card game like magic? yet its a great competitive game. there are so many great competitive games with luck factor, that a small random factor isnt all that bad. but thats off topic too, im not here to defend tripping im here to say it adds depth, so my point: randomness can add depth

"Walking's already better than running except for the moving speed."
ganon is as good as mk except for the moving speed the priority the recovery the range the ... you get my point

kr3wman

Smash Master
sorry i just have a hard time following real posts because of all the spam going on

you can call random luck, but it doesnt necessarily means its bad. for example, whats more luck based than a card game like magic? yet its a great competitive game. there are so many great competitive games with luck factor, that a small random factor isnt all that bad. but thats off topic too, im not here to defend tripping im here to say it adds depth, so my point: randomness can add depth

"Walking's already better than running except for the moving speed."
ganon is as good as mk except for the moving speed the priority the recovery the range the ... you get my point
In Magic :

-The luck factor affect both players at the same level.
-you can override the luck factor through good use of cards.

And no, I don't get the point. He says Running is better only in the moving speed. And you say Ganon is as good as MK except for blablablabla. That doesn't make any sense.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I just had a revalation... tripping does add depth to Brawl.
See, if there was no tripping, then you wouldn't have to worry about it in the farthest depths of your mind.
Also, never in any fighting game have you ever said, "****, I tripped."

I'm just kidding. Tripping sucks.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
its nerfing that caused so much inbalance in brawl
running did not need to be nerfed
samus' projectiles/mario's throws/ganondorf's speed/link's recovery etc. did not need nerfing

kr3wman

Smash Master
samus' projectiles/mario's throws/ganondorf's speed/link's recovery etc. did not need nerfing
Ganondorf wasnt that fast to begin with...:rolleyes:

Grunt

Smash Master
running has not be removed as far as i know, just nerfed. nerfing one element in a game can make the other element more viable thus making the game deeper, son
Too bad running wasn't overpowered to begin with. you're only making a completely fair and balanced option even worse. you're talking like no one ever used to walk and only ran, which is completely false. there were always times for running and walking.

for example: brawl's defensive options are so good compared to offensive ones it sucks, unlike melee where there is a balance between them so you can choose which option to use
Exactly, balance which needed no nerf, but what'd they do? Made defense>>>>offense. did camping and shield poking add depth because we almost removed a completely viable offense option?

better example but fictional one: if fox was x300 better than every other char the game wasnt interesting because everyone would pick fox. a bit extreme but correct
again, there have always been times for walking and times for running in all 3 games. in any of the games running has never been so overpowered, that no one ever walked.

That's a good idea. next time i want to debate something, I'll tell everyone to gtfo so no one can argue with me, so I look correct.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
In Magic :

-The luck factor affect both players at the same level.
-you can override the luck factor through good use of cards.

And no, I don't get the point. He says Running is better only in the moving speed. And you say Ganon is as good as MK except for blablablabla. That doesn't make any sense.
the only advantage running has over walking is JUST the movement speed which is a big ****ing deal dont you think? its not 'JUST'

it doesnt matter if it needed nefing or not, thats what happened. sakurai didnt do it to balance
things but thats the consequences and it adds depth

God, kill yourself now
**** you, reported :chuckle:

kr3wman

Smash Master
the only advantage running has over walking is JUST the movement speed which is a big ****ing deal dont you think? its not 'JUST'
I just don't get how does running speed has anything to do with tripping or your whole 'tripping=depth' thing.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Just to clarify what I'm talking bout, I added numberz.

1) the only advantage running has over walking is JUST the movement speed which is a big ****ing deal dont you think? its not 'JUST'

2)it doesnt matter if it needed nefing or not, thats what happened. sakurai didnt do it to balance
things but thats the consequences and it adds depth

3)**** you, reported :chuckle:
1) You act as though running was the ultimate **** move in Melee. Obviously, it wasn't. It was already balanced out by the fact that you can spotdodge a grab attempt and shield (or spot dodge) a dash attack. Nerfing running with tripping was completely unnecessary.

2) nerfing samus, mario, and ganon has not added depth, but instead removed it. If you take a fighting game with, say, 10 characters, and 9 characters are good, right? Then, you make a subsequent fighting game (new version, sequel, whatever) with the same 10 characters, and you nerf 3 of them, you're left with 6 good characters. There's no way there's more depth in 6 good characters than 9 good characters, it just doesn't add up.

3) really? I mean, seriously, it's only the Internet.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Vall3y, people would respect you and this thread more if you werent such a prick about things...

you give isrealian people a bad name....

Boxob

Smash Champion
Back when I was in Melee land, I could sprint to work no problem. Now a days I have to walk because they nerfed running.

And I used to be top tier material.

:/

Edit: lol@Isreal

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Intelligent Post: Tripping was probably implemented to discourage dash-dancing.

Random Post: Dance puppets dance!

Top Bottom