• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

kr3wman

Smash Master
Intelligent Post: Tripping was probably implemented to discourage dash-dancing.

Random Post: Dance puppets dance!
Dash canceling frames were shortened to completely render dash dancing useless for any approach/mindgames.

Boxob

Smash Champion
i never saw any use in dash dancing except it was fun...
Which can be explained by your 08 join date and your location of 'Earth'.

What are you, some witty ignorant twelve year old?

Dash Dancing was used for mind games. A fundamental technique/process/play style/whatever you'd like to define it as which was often the separating factor between good and great players.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mainly mindgames. It wasn't that good to begin with, but the sudden 'wtf?' factor made it work.

L__

Smash Master

Dash Dancing was used for mind games. A fundamental technique/process/play style/whatever you'd like to define it as which was often the separating factor between good and great players.
...god, I love how no matter how long it has gone on...

people STILL flame people based on their join date.

Boxob

Smash Champion
...god, I love how no matter how long it has gone on...

people STILL flame people based on their join date.
Just having some fun, I love how people still get mad at people for flaming about the join dates. ;D

Way to ignore the actual response, though.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman

uh dude chillax i just said i couldnt find a use for it, thats all...

AAAGH!!! what does my join date matter?!? I JUST HEARD ABOUT THIS SITE 1 MONTH AGO AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL TO TALK TO FELLOW SMASHERS...

So far a large number of them have been elitist, ironic, 'know-it-all' pricks....

Boxob

Smash Champion

AAAGH!!! what does my join date matter?!? I JUST HEARD ABOUT THIS SITE 1 MONTH AGO AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL TO TALK TO FELLOW SMASHERS...

So far a large number of them have been elitist, ironic, 'know-it-all' pricks....
Elitist? Maybe.

Ironic? What?

As for know it all; I try to be as knowledgeable about smash as possible, because I love how intricate Melee is.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
who said i was talking about you?

IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO
this site's sub-title should say "Where opinions magically equal facts"

Oh and ur dumb=fact, appearently

EDIT: oh and pay no attention to my grumpyness...its 3 o' clock here and im out of it so im going to go to sleep now....
*yawns*
*sratches balls*
*leaves site*

Boxob

Smash Champion
who said i was talking about you?

IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO
this site's sub-title should say "Where opinions magically equal facts"

Oh and ur dumb=fact, appearently
Lol what?

You're not making any sense at all. When did I or anyone here state that their opinions were facts?

I thought that by quoting me, you were talking to me. See, mind games work!

kr3wman

Smash Master
Third Strike is awesome. I'm not good at it(yet), but it's serious fun.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

im no elitist,ironic prick,alot of people go on join date because it shows how much knowledge they have to this game,thats why when someone come to troll a board,ask stupid questions,dont read,and and are newbie to the game(i highly doubt someone who joined in 03 or so wouldnt know anything about this)

but then,this izreali came,made this thread and discraced every veteran with his join date and lack of knowledge

Boxob

Smash Champion
Join date is in no way a reliable indication of a persons knowledge about anything.

I was just poking fun at it. Nothing serious. ._.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Join date is in no way a reliable indication of a persons knowledge about anything.

I was just poking fun at it. Nothing serious. ._.
thanks to this thread,i believe you,also from being here there are a few 08'ers that are actually smart posters that just dosent mindlessly spam

1300,swt

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
*yawns*
*sratches balls*
*leaves site*
Epic failure right there. cmon dude i understand your trying to be funny but that just says am under 14.

Also this is the worst topic ever! Tripping doesnt add depth it only shortens it. why on earth would i walk? Brawl has barely any combos as is, so walking would make combos impossible.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
BoXob do you how do?
How now brown cow....
read my previous thread again...

PS: ur cool= fact
PSS: im procrastinating sleeping
PSSS:im not fourteen

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Guilty Gear XX (Just 2 X) Accent Core. Good game, it's on the wii, everyone should play it.
my bro told me that game sucks and hes owned, played, and mastered every fighting game in america...
but i still wanna play it cuz i saw this chick that fights with her hair or something..,looks fun

mc-killa: you should'ove dont something special for your 1300 post...

kr3wman

Smash Master
my bro told me that game sucks and hes owned, played, and mastered every fighting game in america...
but i still wanna play it cuz i saw this chick that fights with her hair or something..,looks fun
Tell your bro he's just a ****. And Milia ****ing owns, that's her name.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

mc-killa: you should'ove dont something special for your 1300 post...
the epic will be in 35 more posts

we were playing guilty gear and arcana heart at the last tourney i went to...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I love how intricate Alpha 3 might not be. All you need is V-ism.

But yeah, back on topic... the best thing about dash dancing wasn't the mindgames, it wasn't the spacing, it wasn't even the WTF factor to throw people off... it was the smoke.

Yup, I'm a make a CFalcon SSB64 DashDance gif with a little "unregistered hypercam" thingy in the corner because I ain't too advanced with it yet... any particular stage from SSB64 anyone wanna see it on? I promise I won't trip, and you'll get in the afternoon.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
Just to clarify what I'm talking bout, I added numberz.

1) You act as though running was the ultimate **** move in Melee. Obviously, it wasn't. It was already balanced out by the fact that you can spotdodge a grab attempt and shield (or spot dodge) a dash attack. Nerfing running with tripping was completely unnecessary.

2) nerfing samus, mario, and ganon has not added depth, but instead removed it. If you take a fighting game with, say, 10 characters, and 9 characters are good, right? Then, you make a subsequent fighting game (new version, sequel, whatever) with the same 10 characters, and you nerf 3 of them, you're left with 6 good characters. There's no way there's more depth in 6 good characters than 9 good characters, it just doesn't add up.

3) really? I mean, seriously, it's only the Internet.
1) i understand maybe brawl didnt need this extra balancing between running and walking, but thats what happened because of the addition of tripping. those are the consequences whether they were needed or not. they are actually a good balance any how because running is still better than walking

2) irrelevant. this example takes what i said out of context. if you had a fighting game with 3 uber chars and 7 **** chars, you nerf the three uber chars and the seven toher chars become viable.

3) in this case, **** you ;)

it just happened you joined with a swarm of new smash players, now you go to an intelligent thread and what was it, nominate the op to the idiot of the year, when you were on the board for a bit more than just one month. now what kind of a behavior is that? ironic, know-it-all prick or what?

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
1) i understand maybe brawl didnt need this extra balancing between running and walking, but thats what happened because of the addition of tripping. those are the consequences whether they were needed or not. they are actually a good balance any how because running is still better than walking

2) irrelevant. this example takes what i said out of context. if you had a fighting game with 3 uber chars and 7 **** chars, you nerf the three uber chars and the seven toher chars become viable.

3) in this case, **** you ;)

it just happened you joined with a swarm of new smash players, now you go to an intelligent thread and what was it, nominate the op to the idiot of the year, when you were on the board for a bit more than just one month. now what kind of a behavior is that? ironic, know-it-all prick or what?
your right...i cant stamp you 'idiot of the year' unless i met you outside the web, as far as your actions go on this thread perticular, your an 'idiot'...
i just cant fathom how tripping (a negative effect in the game, mind you) can be useful or "add depth"...
IMO tripping is a nuscence but it happens so scarcly that its hardly relevant or even a thought in my mind, im never thinking,
"Oh am i going to trip?" ect.

Besides, really the only time tripping is a negative factor is when you trip into a charging move or when you face LvL 9 CPUs, because humans cant react that fast to punish (except for M2K or Gimpy)...

I hope that shows you that my join date doesnt negatate my ability to make intelegent posts, just sometimes its more fun to be idiotic... ;)

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
i've never heard anyone rejoice over the fact that they tripped while in the middle of a heated battle. i've never heard anyone appreciate tripping either lol
can u imagine being in a big tournament and then u get lose because u tripped? that'd be devastating!

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
I dont find tripping to be a good or cool aspect, just an annoying and pointless thing.... and whn would you call running overpowered?...

Top Bottom