• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

Fletch

Smash Master
No................ tripping was sakurai's last attempt to stop the competitive scene completely, woops, that didn't work out.
Sakurai should have designed the game to randomly have a guy teabag you when you use a smash attack, makes about as much sense as tripping.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
The thing about tripping whether it adds depth or not is it slows down the game. Everything about Melee was focused on doing things quicker.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
1) okay, so I guess tripping also adds balance to fsmashes, because you can also trip while doing them using the control stick
2) good point. I never figured it that way, but Samus, Mario, and Ganon needed no nerfing. They were fine exactly the way they were, good, but not not god-like. You're not supposed to nerf the good.
3) don't curse at me!!! :cry:
1) it does, it nerfs them. not necessarily balances them because they werent absolutely better than dsmashes or upsmashes. or forward ftilts. i dont even know what to compare to them. but they did get nerfed as a consequences of the addition of tripping

2) obviously but its sakurai not the guys that make guilty gear that care about such stuff

This thread is still not locked?
no *****, it rocks. but if i do get a mod in here all the hi-jackers are gonna get into troubles LOL!

this thread delivers.
yeah you got that right!!!!

SilverBoomX

Smash Rookie
Your chin isn't the only thing that's fat, stupid noob. And by that, I'm describing YOU MOM!!!!!!! Get lost, hippo"pout"amus.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
While I doubt adding depth were Sakurai's intentions, I think tripping adds depth to smash brothers, by giving a reason to choose walking over running.
Tripping balances between overpowered running, and walking. While in Melee the only advantage you had when walking is that you could smash or tilt instantly, in Brawl you are also risk-free of tripping.
The game now rewards you for recognizing situations where running isn't necessary, adds some technical depth (e.g: Falco's chaingrab is harder but better when walking), and maybe something else that I've missed.
All that without mentioning the aspect of punishing tripping which is another technical aspect added to the game.

Discuss.
wow... over 1500 posts and you still know nothing at all

stratele

Smash Apprentice
Tripping really doesn't bother me. Its there to slow players down. Which adds alot more depth to the fighting.

Using tripping as an excuse for losing isn't good enough as well.

cman

Smash Ace
Tripping really doesn't bother me. Its there to slow players down. Which adds alot more depth to the fighting.

Using tripping as an excuse for losing isn't good enough as well.
How does it add depth? Walking was already good enough as was. And why is a slower game a good thing (especially if the aspect that slows it down has a very low random chance)?

kr3wman

Smash Master
How could that add any depth to the swimming pool? It already has a set one.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
Any game with Mario should have no tripping. I mean come on imagine playing Mario Brothers and on world 8-4 you tip in front of Bowser and get a hammer to the face. *sad mario death music*

Imperial Dark

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've never thought of it that way.

I still find tripping a little unneeded, but I'm not that bothered by it because nothing bad has ever happened to me as a result of it.

...It just makes you look stupid. Need I say more.

...But Brawl isn't about looking good. Nope. It's not.

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is essiantail to the game, it makes the game balanced. Their was also a theory on how tripping came to be that went like this:

"Hey Iwata!"

"Yeah Sakuria?"

"i found out a perfectly good reason to push the release to march ninth!"

"What?"

"Having your charater trip!"

Top Bottom