• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

Fletch

Smash Master
Everyone needs to stop justifying all the stupid crap that they put into Brawl and just accept that the game is not good for the competitive scene.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Everyone needs to stop justifying all the stupid crap that they put into Brawl and just accept that the game is not good for the competitive scene.
Or maybe you need to stop justifying all the stupid crap you say and just accept the fact that you're a scrub.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Tripping adds depth... lol.

Maybe tripping does add balance... just have an open mind to this for 2 seconds while I explain... you see, when I play with a character like Sonic, Marth, or MK, characters that are pretty fast on the ground, and I just happen to see an opening from a mile away that needs to be exploited via dashing (such as a well read tech chase) Brawl decides that I should trip. This saves the person from getting owned...

Who the **** am I kidding, tripping sucks.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
i nominate Vall3y for idiot of the year followed by:

2nd: smashthebirdy & 2.0
3rd: jakeadactyl
4th: trev94
5th: pikafan869682

That is all...

L__

Smash Master
...Did you not read the posts that came after?

25%cotton said:
they figured out what caused air-tripping. something to do with recovering funny... then your next jump becomes an "air trip"

Doctor X

Smash Lord
You're saying you agree with the OP and then calling me a scrub? Don't kid yourself.
If I were kidding it wouldn't be nearly as funny cause seriously... who the hell are you?

You want to money-match? Melee or Brawl. My next tournament is Rofa's in two weeks. Be there and then you'll see who's kidding themselves.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know you could trip walking.

As far as testing shows, you only trip while going into the dash animation with a 1% chance on regular surfaces and 3% chance on icy.

I suppose since depth can be seen as a form of measurement, it does add depth to Brawl, being that there is another possibility in battle added.

However, no matter how many times tripping has saved you, or if you are able to use it strategically to your advantage, it only diminishes the amount of competitive viability Brawl has. Competitions don't need random elements.

It's bad. But it's not game breaking, and as far as Diddy's banana's go ( a forced trip) it's fine.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Troll feeding is enevitable!!!!

all it takes is one post and BAM!! you got teen pregnancy AND 7 pages of spam....

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I didn't know you could trip walking.
I'm pretty sure you can't, and if you can it's so unlikely it doesn't really matter. Personally, I've never seen it.

However, no matter how many times tripping has saved you, or if you are able to use it strategically to your advantage, it only diminishes the amount of competitive viability Brawl has. Competitions don't need random elements.
The generalization that "random = bad" is usually true, but flawed. There are some exceptions. Sometimes random elements in small doses can add depth by forcing players to be ready to react in different ways depending on the outcome.

When you hit someone with Fox's dair from above, you don't know 100% whether they'll trip or not, but if they do you get an upsmash and they can't do anything about it. If they don't trip? They can powershield the upsmash, so you need to make sure to utilt or grab instead. This means instead of having a guaranteed combo into one of the game's best kill moves, you have a combo that only works sometimes and can really screw you over if you try to do it those times when it doesn't work. Basically, a Fox player has to be ready to take an opportunity but not jump the gun if he wants to be effective.

MK and ROB's dtilt to running grab? Same deal. Lots of characters have stuff like this.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, tripping adds depth to Smash? I don't really think so... The chances of it happening are too small to predict. Like some posted before me, I think the chances of tripping are 1% on a regular surface, and 3% on an icy surface. So you can't think "What do I do if I trip during this combo?" all the time, so as for tripping adding to the depth of Smash, I don't think so. :ohwell:

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Attacks that force tripping based on the random factor isn't a problem as it's not exactly random.If you dodge or shield the attack that forces tripping you do not trip(chance).

The chance of tripping during a run animation however is.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.

That is all...
1.) He's not an idiot for having a differed opinion, if that is the cause for flamming, please, it would much better to not post set flame.

2.) You're forgetting the greatest troll ever to troll on Smashboards, DOCTORSTUPID. Why has everyone forgotten him, I thought this made him famous! Maybe everyone that suffered his trolling had suffered severe brain damage, forgetting every thread, post, and any means of identity.

Can we let this thread die please? It's not helping anyone.
Yes (oh dang, I just responded, letting this thread live another couple of minutes before someone else rants about how tripping stinks, only to have a moderator eventually lock this thread and say "You guys know better than to flame"), the amount of flamming at the OP must stop. Though I disagree that tripping adds depth, I don't run my mouth off calling the OP an idiot for having a different opinion. This is a contributing factor to the amount of dis-array on SWF, the amount of flamming directed towards a differing opinion.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
XFD. Makes you choose walking over running?

I dont really play brawl, but i've played it to know that it happens for both.

So lol at somebody thinking adding a random element adds depth. For years i've heard that adding random elements adds a luck factor.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
did you know that you can trip while doing a fsmash with the control stick? Yup... either that, I'm the only one plagued by tripping while doing fsmashes... someone please tell me that I'm not the only unlucky one...

Kieso

Smash Cadet
sometimes tripping helps O_o

Ive run into situations where ive tripped into someones attack by accident, and it caused me to dodge the attack, while if i didn't trip, i woulda got killed.

Doesn't go through grabs tho

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
did you know that you can trip while doing a fsmash with the control stick? Yup... either that, I'm the only one plagued by tripping while doing fsmashes... someone please tell me that I'm not the only unlucky one...
no that happens to T.link all the time...

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
no that happens to T.link all the time...
Not trying to defend tripping or anything, but I'd like to see it if you have a vid or something.
Hasn't happened to me with anyone so far. But then again, I only trip like once every 15 matches anyway.
=/

Grunt

Smash Master

That is all...
Brightside101
Remember the "Brightside Cancel"?

Me too.
this is when it happens the most to me, and usually my opponent shows no mercy.

L__

Smash Master
...FYI everyone, tripping provides invulnerability frames until you land on your ***. After that, you're f*cked.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
you guys are just trolling my thread. no one said i like or want tripping, but its fact it adds depth and i explaiend why so stop crying and get used to the game dont start crying on it

That is all...
stfu
you are here one month and you dare open your mouth?
i nominate you for the spammer of the year
400 posts a month that means you'd have about 14k posts if you were here as much as i am
now get the **** out now.

also: get your facts right noobs. you cant trip from walking and theres no such a thing as air tripping, its a ****ing bug that only sonic has

Grunt

Smash Master
Too bad your reasoning is complete garbage. less options cannot equal a deeper game. obviously there is time for walking, and in Melee and Brawl, i see these options, regardless of whether or not tripping might be involved.

How about everyone shuts the **** up and gets on with their time at SWF?
Agreed. goodbye.

oh and, 1337 posts!
...what a waste.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Vall3y this is possibly the dummest, least backed up, claim ive heard on this whole site so far...
and who cares when i join i just heard of this site 1 month ago... i just got internet 3 months ago... and so what if i take advantage of the fact that you can post alot on this site...

GET OVER IT!!!!

also stop abusing women

also also inB4lock

also also also, you've been here for 3 years and you dont have a single friend or even visitor message but ive been here a month and i have 34+ friends and 50+ visitor messages...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Hmm... just a random thought... is tripping the reason why there's no combos in Brawl? I mean, thing about it... let's just say, for argument's sake, that tripp ing was in Melee... how many death combos could that possibly lead to?

But yeah, tripping sucks.

Top Bottom