• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

L__

Smash Master
I love how NO ONE was with him on how tripping adds depth.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions I suppose.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Me
Gamestop 4 me.
yes.
Nice. I was searching for it, and I thought maybe it wasn't out yet or something.

Oh and, air tripping is just a bug in the recovery physics, its not related to tripping at all.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Ridding SSBB of tripping would be the most epic Wii24 update ever.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Clearly, tripping adds depth. See, we've had it wrong all along, Sakurai wasn't making a fighting game, he was actually making a math game. A true pro's greatest asset is statistical analysis. If Sakurai weren't such a scrub, he would have added more truly random elements to the game.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I've gotten hit by ike's f-smash without tripping into it...does that make me suck? The...the mindgames, i can't take them! jab jab turn around f-smash is too good!

Now related to the thread, tripping doesn't add depth, it adds randomness which is what sakurai wanted because he didn't want brawl to be a competitive fighter.

L__

Smash Master
I've gotten hit by ike's f-smash without tripping into it...does that make me suck? The...the mindgames, i can't take them! jab jab turn around f-smash is too good!

Now related to the thread, tripping doesn't add depth, it adds randomness which is what sakurai wanted because he didn't want brawl to be a competitive fighter.
In Brawl's defense, I've actually NEVER witnessed a trip that ended in a death; SO FAR.

inb4brawlvidsoftrippeddeaths.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
why is everyone ignoring the reasons i stated with the the saying 'tripping is gay'?
running is overpowered compared to walking, its a fact no one used walking because there was barely any reason to do so !
Taking out dash-canceling was all they needed to do to "balance" running, which they did.

Tripping wasn't necessary to add and was a dumb addition.

The H Kid

Original
I say tripping shouldnt be removed.
But the whole "tripping is punishment for running" post was just...... ug.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Tripping should be removed...mainly so people will stop pointing to it as a reason why Brawl is teh sux0rz. In practice I haven't seen it cost pros matches against noobs or anything. The big problem with it is fightninh Diddy Kong. Just...ugh. Quit throwing your phallic symbols at me, you chauvinist pig.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I'm not. but tripping is stupid. And it doesn't affect the game really. i mean, if you trip into ike's fsmash, why did you run close to him to begin with? :p

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
I'm not. but tripping is stupid. And it doesn't affect the game really. i mean, if you trip into ike's fsmash, why did you run close to him to begin with? :p
To Marth-counter the fsmash, and punish him for selecting such a n00bish character.

kr3wman

Smash Master
lets hijack this thread some more?

anyone getting Tales of symphonia 2 when its comes out?

also,tripping is an excuse to make sure wavedashing dosent come back>.<
I'll probably get it if the storyline doesn't go bat-**** crazy. I still don't get why Lloyd is considered bad by the little scrubs the game calls main characters.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I'll probably get it if the storyline doesn't go bat-**** crazy. I still don't get why Lloyd is considered bad by the little scrubs the game calls main characters.
if youre in for spoilers

DONT OPEN IF YOU DONE WANNA BE SPOILED-you have been warned

lloyd isint evil,decus made a clone of him and tried to frame him

also,emil is a *****,o.o

kr3wman

Smash Master
if youre in for spoilers

DONT OPEN IF YOU DONE WANNA BE SPOILED-you have been warned

lloyd isint evil,decus made a clone of him and tried to frame him

also,emil is a *****,o.o
Looks good enough. I'll buy it I guess.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
*chokes on the sandwich I was eating when I looked at this thread*

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Tripping while running is kinda lame but not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be. It has very little real effect on tournament placings so far. The OP does kind of have a point, though... players can walk instead of run all the time. They can also approach in the air. I wouldn't necessarily say it adds "depth" to have players doing this just to avoid tripping, but either way... tripping can be avoided.

Tripping from attacks is one of the coolest things about Brawl. When you hit somebody with a move that trips, you don't know for sure whether you can punish the trip or not until you see it, meaning reaction time is at least as critical technical skill.

And everyone johning about Brawl... seriously, stop being scrubs. Learn to play or shut up.

L__

Smash Master
Tripping while running is kinda lame but not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be. It has very little real effect on tournament placings so far. The OP does kind of have a point, though... players can walk instead of run all the time. They can also approach in the air. I wouldn't necessarily say it adds "depth" to have players doing this just to avoid tripping, but either way... tripping can be avoided.

Tripping from attacks is one of the coolest things about Brawl. When you hit somebody with a move that trips, you don't know for sure whether you can punish the trip or not until you see it, meaning reaction time is at least as critical technical skill.

And everyone johning about Brawl... seriously, stop being scrubs. Learn to play or shut up.
Walking and jumping doesn't prevent tripping.

Ever hear of random air trips?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Walking and jumping doesn't prevent tripping.

Ever hear of random air trips?
they figured out what caused air-tripping. something to do with recovering funny... then your next jump becomes an "air trip"

Dragonslayer9

Smash Cadet
Tripping just adds more to the Random factor of the game, more then depth, the game itself is deep and could do without it.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Tripping is really taken out of proportion
I've tripped a total of 1493 times and have only been KO'd by it once or twice. Most of the time nothing happpens, or it might even save you from an attack

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
tripping does not add depth. It does nothing except discourage you from moving. The rate at which brawl is going in terms its metagame, I think that's what sakurai meant. For this game to be boring and not playable other than little kids who just button mash.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
Tripping does not add any depth....god forbid you are playing someone who reacts quickly and you trip. And you better hope that person isn't one who can chain grab eitherwise that trip may have cost you quite a bit. The worst though is trying to space or run to the other side of the stage, but tripping right away and if you trip right next to a character with a quick smash or a super powerful throw that can KO you. I mean, I don't know why some people are saying "tripping isn't all that bad" yah...if your like playing someone who sucks or you trip far away from them. Too far away. Even then, it can ruin your strategy. Its not just about being punished. I remember hitting someone off the stage and then tripping and by the time my character got back up I didn't have time to ledgeguard without being risky or go after them. I had to take an alternative. It prevents you from doing what you want to do. Which is the opposite of a deep game if you can't even do what you want 100% of the time.

Top Bottom