• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So

After slowly updating new vids into the OP over the past day, I click submit and SWF tells me it won't accept it because I've "logged in again since I started typing it." (I hadn't.) Meaning I have to add everything again :/

Fortunately there aren't that many videos being added in this batch, but it'll still be a little while longer.

And yes, Denti, your videos are being added :p Some of them anyhow - I can't in good conscience add the absolute **** matches against people who don't know how to fight Oli XD

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Can you remove all my videos from the thread? I feel like they are way too old. I'm just going to put up Money Matches or Tourney videos from now on.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Can you remove all my videos from the thread? I feel like they are way too old. I'm just going to put up Money Matches or Tourney videos from now on.
They aren't even that old! If you insist then I'll do so when I update the thread, but you shall be missed

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
They aren't even that old! If you insist then I'll do so when I update the thread, but you shall be missed
I've been focusing entirely ony my meta knight since I stopped posting on the SWF. I'm actually going to tournaments again and I've been practicing olimar 99% of the time at smashfests-- I'll be posting good stuff soon!

Btw jane, the peach player, Raz, has gotten sooo much better at fighting my olimar so he's forcing me to do a ton of new things. That's why I think newer videos would do you guys more justice.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I wasnt playing very well but it's something. Olimar's..... Teach meh!!!
- Learn your whistle. There were times when you airdodged or something and a whistle to Nair would have been better.

-Uair is our fastest aerial (momentum canceling comment).

-Don't SideB ZSS unless it's from a good distance and/or using a purple and/or plan on following it up with a Fair. She's too fast and has too much range.

-Falling Dair is good as a mixup, but you used it so often.

-If you choose to recover low, wait until you're closer to them to double jump. That'll allow you to hover an Uair on top of them rather than dropping off.

-When you're low on pikmin and launched, it's usually better to land onstage/on a platform or throw away the rest. A 1-2 pikmin chain has no range and a missed tether means death because you don't get a second chance to use it. Also, 0 pikmin has about the same ledge grab range as 3.

-You just generally need to work on being less predictable with your recovery.

-Don't fullhop airdodge. If you ARE going to try something like that, use whistle so that you can actually punish a hit. Fullhopping is a bad idea in most situations, BTW.

-A lot of the stuff you need to know, you'll learn by playing with him more.

Terribly sorry, but I'm bad at criticism. ^^;
Also, sorry for taking so long to notice that post.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone I can send replays to? My internet is crap for uploading any videos.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Ugh... MJG's playstyle is sooooo slow, he tried to time you out with everyone <.>.

That said, With diddy I think you just kinda lost track of your reads, you started out great, then went down hill and then got back up again. Should have messed with his naners a bit more and not jumped so much :X.

MK, you kinda challenged his shuttle loop into bad positions, that and a bit more pivot grabs... but I don't really know, I think it all came down to the fact that you needed to regain a lead badly and he didn't let you.

Dnyce

Smash Master
That said, With diddy I think you just kinda lost track of your reads, you started out great, then went down hill and then got back up again. Should have messed with his naners a bit more and not jumped so much :X.
Did I get punished a lot from jumping?
Jumping is one of the main parts of my strategy against diddy now .-.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace

Did I get punished a lot from jumping?
Jumping is one of the main parts of my strategy against diddy now .-.
I'd say that's a smart thing to do, but it all depends on what the diddy is doing. I'll probably look over the vid again cause I want to study the match but you got punished on a couple of occasions when he predicted your jumps. He might have gotten lucky though.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
I actually don't go into a match with the intent of trying to time any character out except for ICs.

I just "observe" and play "safe" while being "patient."

Thanks though :)
Succesful namesearch? lolz

Btw, I mean no hate by that, I'm gonna rephrase my statement:

Diddy was slow, you know compared to other diddy's. I was surprised you only side-b'd at Oli once.

And wtf was up with TL, you're actually bringing some pride back to the character <3

MK is mk. <_<

napZzz

Smash Hero
theres a difference between playing smart and safe than going into a match with the intention of timing someone out

tink just sort of works that way along with mjgs playstyle anyways, people try to get impatient when they get down and he takes advantage of that by camping harder

Denti

Smash Master
everytime i post here i have to push for my videos to make it to the front page. so im not posting here anymore, it's pointless. This thread might be dead anyways. :p :p :p :p

Cook

Smash Master
Fino, when you were playing against MK you tried to either hit him or land next time almost every time (maybe even every time) you needed to land, and he shielded and punished you like every time. Try falling toward him, but then whistle-bouncing away from him, or up-bing away from him, or even air dodging and buffering a roll. Also, considering that I think he only went for one grab the whole match you probably should have spot-dodged less and held your shield more. He may have caught on and started grabbing, but at least then he would have to guess what you were going to do.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
@Scatt

Throwing two pikmin toss in a short hop is good, but don't always do it when your opponent is nearby. It leave you too open for them to take advantage of. In that situation you might want to short hop and throw one pikmin, and then use an attack in place of where the other would be, or maybe air dodge, or perhaps do nothing at all.

Nair -> utilt isn't that great. Especially at low percents. You're better off going for the up smash unless you know the utilt is guaranteed for all of its hits, or if you're facing a character that nair -> usmash is difficult to land on.

When you were recovering after getting dsmashed by fox at about 1:15, you hesitated before tethering after your jump/whistle. If you hadn't hesitated, you probably would have lived.

One thing I like to do when edge guarding fox, is I'll hassle him a bit with pikmin and then grab the ledge, forcing him to go for the stage with illusion. I'll then jump from the ledge and nair to cover that option.

When you're tethering to the ledge, keep in mind that you aren't suppose to UpB in the direction that you are towards the ledge (such as tethering towars the right when the ledge is to the right of you), but you are suppose to tether in the direction dependant on what side of the stage the ledge is on. In the beginning of the delfino video, you fell off stage and were directly under the stage on the right side of it. The right ledge was to the right of you, so you tethered towards the right, when you should have tethered towards the left. Doing so would have caused you to latch onto the ledge.

This Delfino texture is ugly.

Remember that you don't always have to jump before you use your tether. In a lot of situations, it's better to just hit UpB and get to the ledge, instead of using your jump. It's faster and safer in some situations, as long as you keep it unpredictable, or do it when the opponent isn't close enough to grab it.

When you spawned on your last stock, you immediately started pulling pikmin. The thing is, is that the moving stage was about to take off, but you pulled pikmin from the road, right before it was beneath you. Instead you should have waited for those extra purples X:

Dthrow -> Dthrow -> Dash Grab/Dthrow -> Usmash or Fair is a combo as long as the second or third pikmin aren't a red.

This smashville texture is horrible.

Don't ever think that you have to approach Pikachu. He always has to come to you. And his approaching options are horrible against Olimar, so take advantage of it. Make him be the aggressor.

As long as you have the time and space (which you usually will have both of), when you have a purple up front, tossing it is generally a lot safer than air dodging, and gets the same **** done.

Never treat dtilt as if it combos into anything. It doesn't at all. Checked the frame data on it and it's not so hot.

When the opponent is getting from the ledge to the stage, you should try pivot grabbing their landings more. It would probably help you out a lot.

Near the end, you grabbed with a blue at the ledge at around 140%. A backthrow would have killed him right there, probably uthrow as well.

All in all your Olimar's solid, keep it up. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM on AIM. I'm usually better giving critique on there, actually, haha. And I can help answer any questions you have.

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Hello Lolimar users :D
its me TKila with hundres video >_> just jk >_> well just say hi to the Lolimar users i meet in the MLG Dallas and here is a video i could record of the Last regional Tournament here in Colombia's Coast
this is the match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjonorH0FGI

Plz Watch It i will be happy if u comment about it :)

Perphaphs is an LOLIMAR VS WARIO D:

BYE

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Hello Lolimar users :D
its me TKila with hundres video >_> just jk >_> well just say hi to the Lolimar users i meet in the MLG Dallas and here is a video i could record of the Last regional Tournament here in Colombia's Coast
this is the match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjonorH0FGI

Plz Watch It i will be happy if u comment about it :)

Perphaphs is an LOLIMAR VS WARIO D:

BYE
When you lost your first stock and got gimped, I think that instead of up-bing you should have saved your second jumped and gone for the rising u-air.

Also, at some points you also dash grabbed when just shield grabbing to punish wario's landing would have been better.

Very entertaining match, I enjoyed it :D.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If there's anything you don't understand because of how I say it, feel free to let me know and I can try to clarify it better :)

Don't dtilt at low percentages. The knockback and hitstun isn't enough to keep it from being punishable on hit.

At around 0:28 you were trying to get back onto the beach and hit the Wario with a purple. You could've used this opportunity to UpB back onto the land, but you fell back into the water instead.

Never approach Wario unless you have to. And you never have to. If he's in a position in where you can run up and try to randomly throw out an usmash, or you could throw pikmin and run away... run away and throw ****. At around 0:42 he was on the far left of the stage and you randomly ran up and tries to up smash him. Instead, you probably should have kept stage control and pressured him with pikmin toss. Because of this, you lost stage control and got gimped.

In fact, stop trying to fight Wario head on. Never try to beat out his attacks with your own. Never try to win a spot dodge war. Play keep away and make him fall into the traps you set for him. He has to approach at all times, so make him approach. Focus the entire game on keeping stage control and punish every single thing he does with pikmin toss or pivot grabs. Wario has a hard time getting pikmin off of him, so take advantage of that. His approach options are limited against Olimar, so learn what you're able to punish, and throw out pivot grabs for him to fall into.

Don't sit in shield too much against Wario. Use every chance you get to get away.

Learn how to Up Smash out of shield. It destroys his dair if he doesn't space it perfectly, which he won't most of the time.

If you grab a tire, one thing I like to do is short hop and throw it down. It'll bounce a few times, and you can stand right on top of it and use it to keep yourself safe. If Wario tries to approach through it and gets hit by the tire, it's a free up smash.

When you're on a platform and the opponent is keeping pressure on you, keep in mind that you can jump, which is often a good option. Don't treat it as if there's a timer counting down and you have to get on the stage as soon as possible. Take your time. Make him commit to something, and wait for an opportunity to get down safely.

DO NOOOOT sit in a shield against Wario for longer than like half a second, lol.

Stop backthrowing with reds and yellows, rofl. Especially when you aren't taking advantage of what little positional advantage they give you.

o_o... 2:58. You grabbed him. Fresh stock. It was a red. You forward threw him. Instead of doing a grab combo. He landed into another grab. Yellow. You back threw him. Why. You had a free grab combo both times. Don't do that. lol.

When using uairs under the stage, space it well enough so that you can't be punished for it.

Don't try to utilt Wario. It isn't a good idea.

Don't let him keep you at the ledge like this. Every time you're caught between Wario and the ledge you get really panicky and defensive and just sit there being defensive. Be evasive, not defensive.

So yeah, the main things about the matchup, are that you 1) need to stop sitting still so much, especially when he's near you, 2) stop rushing in and trying to punish things that aren't punishable. He's only going to use this to land free hits. And 3) throw more pikmin/pivot grabs. Remember, the Wario matchup is all about mobility. This means both staying mobile, as well as finding ways to reduce your opponent's mobility.

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Thx Hilt for ur advice, there a lot of reasons i did some stranges moves like for example red and yellow backthrow. right now i am using two styles of fight this one was the best choice for this match cause i got confuse my opponnent he was thinking the same as u did (the first match i used to play anotherway i used to defeat him and didnt work D: so i was obligated to change relly fast a weird style D:).

anyway i also make 6 Really stupid FAILS >_> but nah! is ok :)

Thx for the advice of the Upsmash with the shield i didnt know it could work gonna try next time :)
i hope u enjoy the match :D and thx :)

Top Bottom