• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training for Skilled Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
How do you train on Super Smash Bros Brawl?

I train by going to a stage and putting 3 cpu on level 9 and do a team battle. Me versus 3 cpu. In other words, Me red and 3 blu cpu on level 9. It works I promise.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Actually, and sadly, it makes me try to move quicker than I can in one on one situations.

that... or a really dumb flaw in the programming.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
my method is to do your main vs. same character as 1 on 1. this can show weakness and strengths in your character and your own play style.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
No. Why do newer players believe this crap works? >_> All this might do is improve your reflexes, if even that.

2393Devon

Smash Cadet
i think the best way is to watch replays it helps you see how long each attack lasts also it helps make the cpu do new things it dosent normaly do in a brawl

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, Kawaii is right about that method.

The best way to train is in Fast Special Brawl IMO. That and Stamina mode. In fact, the entirety of Special Brawl can be used for training and as such should. Invisible helps you to predict your opponents attacks and watch the field closely. Fast helps your DI and recovery. Heavy helps you to recover from spikes. Slow eases you into a faster move so you can perfect timing. Stamina keeps you on your toes to avoid any and all damage. 3 CPUs in normal Brawl on the other hand... that helps you to die fast in competitive Brawls. I can't beat CPU Peach Lv. 9. But I can't trick her as she doesn't think. Then again, it can help you to stop thinking and do unpredictable near worthless moves your opponent won't expect (but can easily dodge).

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Lol, Fiction.

Related: The best way to practice is by doing either 1v1s or doubles matches. That simple. Training in a special mode won't really help, especially if you're fighting computers, because everything you could learn in a different, special mode, you could learn in 1v1s or doubles matches.

Really, the only time fighting a computer would help is when you've literally just started using a character a couple of days ago, and are still trying to get the basic controls for him.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Fighting 3 CPUs at lvl 9 is definitely not a good way to practice. It pushes you to use 'cheap' (i dont like that word but i have to use it here) moves. Ex: You fight 3 bowsers. You're MK. So you find a way to beat the bowsers. How do you do it? Dsmash, tornado spam.

So you can see it doesn't help you improve. If you want to train in Brawl, you need to fight people. If you dont have any player to fight, what you do is this:

Go into Versus Mode, and fight a LVL 1 CPU. But the challenge is this: you can't get hit at ALL. Once you can consistently beat a level 1 CPU with no damage taken, move on to a higher level, like lvl 2 or lvl 3 CPU, and repeat til you get to lvl 9. This will definitely help you with your spacing (which is very very important).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
~KBizzle

I'm so glad M2K disproves the "CPU practice doesn't work" claim. It's all on how you take in the practice; If you practice with a CPU and just go nuts with your tech skill or what have you it won't help a bit as you will end up developing repetitive and ultimately bad habits, but if you imagine situations that would occur with a real player and play as cautiously as you would against a human player...it is possible to make any sort of practice become useful. Ask M2K, he'll tell you.

None of you should be so quick to put down any method of practice just because it doesn't work for you.

~The Gifted Unknown

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If you want to train to get better fight as many people who are around your skill level or beyond over and over again. The more people you fight like this the better you will get.

The most time effective method of getting better quickly is going to tournaments as most people are either around your skill level or better.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
I do a lot of online brawls to. And I train using Special Brawl to sometimes. So what else do you guys recommend?

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Also if you play as a slow character (ex. King Dedede) and fight tough and fast cpu (ex. Captin Falcon, Ness, and Sonic) it will help you on stratagy.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Scrubbiest thread ever.
n00biest, actually. Hence, "Smash n00b." Anyone can be a scrub, n00b or not.

Master Gamer, what you want to do is practice with other human players. This is a better way of improving. If you have Wi-Fi connection, use that as well, because it will help you improve your game. That is, if you are serious about improving. If you are serious, stop playing against CPUs of any level. If not, go on and play against CPUs.

Also, please refrain from double and triple posting. Use the Edit button. Failure to do so will lead to infractions, which can lead to banning.

C.J.

Smash Master
Best way to practice in order are:
Tournies
MMs
Smashfests
Friendlies
online brawl
playing a lv 3 cpu and paying really close attention to your spacing/timing

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
I am one of the best players on the net. Trust me I know how to brawl. I just made this post to compare and contrast training styles. The only reason why I still have the "Smash n00b" title is because I haven't logged onto my Smash Boards account in a long while. So watch it with the insults.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt you are any good. No offence but u probably only play "with any1" games am I correct? Srsly that lvl 9 crap actually makes you worse. Also, I'm 90% sure almost any1 who dissagreed with you / insulted you would kill you in brawl.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I jsut got completely owned by devon, this contributes that training with CPU doesn't help.
(i did win about 4 times out of 18 though)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Training with level 9 computers gets you to notice patterns and a playstyle players won't play with. You'll train to be good against the computer nothing more. AI will never be as good as a real player, noobular or not.

if you get mindgamed by a cpu, I have bad news for you bro.

nightSN

Smash Ace
Training with level 9 computers gets you to notice patterns and a playstyle players won't play with. You'll train to be good against the computer nothing more. AI will never be as good as a real player, noobular or not.

if you get mindgamed by a cpu, I have bad news for you bro.
LMAOO mindgamed by a cpu? ownagee (: LOL

RP`

Smash Apprentice
The most I use CPU's for is just to get to know a character better before I use it against people. I don't even see why you would want to face CPU's to train, unless you want to train to be better against CPU's (useless). There is no better way to train to play better against people, than to play against people. All you are doing in the meantime is learning the bad habits of CPU's, and how bad in general they are along with their super defensive spot dodges and shield while being amazingly predictable. Doesn't sound like they would help, to me.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Then why don't you try playing as a slow character and practice against lvl 9 fast character cpu. It works on timing and speed.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Then why don't you try playing as a slow character and practice against lvl 9 fast character cpu. It works on timing and speed.
Slow characters? Guys like Ganon need to be able to punish mistakes, not time his aerials correctly, since he'll never be able to outspeed most attacks.

Lvl 9s aren't good to practice on because they powershield everything, such as ZSS's 1-frame jab, forcing you to focus more on multi-hits, which they won't SDI out of, and would force you to practice techniques that won't work on humans.

Not to mention they can't edgehog.

Consistantly anyhow.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
You're missing the entire point. No matter which character you and the computer are, playing a computer will NEVER help you. You will just learn bad habits, such as juggling them in the air forever (due to their instantaneous airdodges after getting hit). Like somone previously said, the only thing it will do is help you learn the moveset of a character. Besides I truly pity you if you feel that using Ganon, bowser, or dk will help you get better with sonic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom