• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Timeline Discussion

*Dead Poll*

• Total voters

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Find me the link and quote to that interview.

No, seriously. I've been convinced that AT LEAST Minish Cap is before OoT, but I have zero evidence to support that that isn't countered by evidence saying it ISN'T first.

Masky

Smash Master
Eiji Aonuma has stated, after the release of Four Swords, that the story came before Ocarina of Time. Therefore, the Four Swords arc comes before OoT, with Minish Cap being the first in the arc, due to some of the origin stories with Link, such as his hat and the unknown hero explained in the intro movie claiming no title Link has obtained such as the Hero of Time, Winds, etc, although Skyward Sword may change all of this when it comes out.
I personally agree with you based on developer statements (at least until SS comes out since it may contradict this), but some people argue against this point by pointing out that Aonuma mentioned in a SS interview that OoT was previously the first game. The quote is very vague, so it's debatable what it's saying.

You have to admit that FSA before OoT is kind of silly though... like how does Ganondorf come back, did basically the same event (seal war type event) occur twice in rapid succession, etc?

If anything, we should also add the actual legend of Zelda, the very first, the one put to sleep told of in Zelda II. Technically her story is the first, for every Princess born after her is named Zelda.
The Sleeping Zelda story can't occur until after OoT, since in the SZ story the Triforce is split and resides in Hyrule (not the Sacred Realm) but the Triforce had never been split or removed from the Sacred Realm prior to OoT.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Find me the link and quote to that interview.

No, seriously. I've been convinced that AT LEAST Minish Cap is before OoT, but I have zero evidence to support that that isn't countered by evidence saying it ISN'T first.
The interview was in Game Informer. I cannot find the link through their site, but all the information is on the Zelda Wiki.

I personally agree with you based on developer statements (at least until SS comes out since it may contradict this), but some people argue against this point by pointing out that Aonuma mentioned in a SS interview that OoT was previously the first game. The quote is very vague, so it's debatable what it's saying.

You have to admit that FSA before OoT is kind of silly though... like how does Ganondorf come back, did basically the same event (seal war type event) occur twice in rapid succession, etc?
I personally never got a chance to play any of the Four Swords arc games, so I can't really say anything.

But I read up on the stories, and maybe it's a different Ganondorf? Maybe this is one of the few times where the Ganondorf of the story is different (as opposed to TP, WW, and OoT Ganondorf being the same)

The Sleeping Zelda story can't occur until after OoT, since in the SZ story the Triforce is split and resides in Hyrule (not the Sacred Realm) but the Triforce had never been split or removed from the Sacred Realm prior to OoT.
Guess I overlooked that. I guess I based it on the fact there is always a Princess Zelda.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
NP: Does this game [Skyward Sword] fit into the existing Zelda continuity, or is this a separate story?
EA: I think we've talked with the Media about this before, about Ocarina of Time sort of the oldest story in the Zelda timeline, but of coarse in Ocarina of time the Master Sword already exists, so it's obviously safe to say that this takes place before Ocarina of Time.
The implication is kinda obvious. At this point, OoT seems to be the oldest story in the timeline, apart from soon-to-be SS.

I mean, there'd be no point to say "We've said before that OoT is the oldest story in the timeline" if it wasn't actually true. It's just kinda silly.

and I'd say that the sleeping Zelda story is irrelevant to the timeline, and is merely AoL's backstory. I could provide proof if needed :p

I'd say that the FSS was pre-OoT for a time, but that's been retconned since, as evidenced by the above interview, and the AT games providing evidence (years after the original FSA is pre-OoT quote) for it not being the first in the timeline.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I find it to be a simple connection, along the same lines as the town names in AoL being named after the sages of OoT (as far as simplicity and knowledge needed to notice it go), that all of the AT games made recently (along with having the more cartoony graphical style) contain force/force gems. TMC-FS/FSA are the only other games that contain force gems (along with being the other games to have a cartoony style, which would seperate the AT and the CT by both story, and style of game, atleast by the way that they've made the games recently. And SS, taking place before the split, contains both, ironically enough), and TMC retains its ability to be an origin story for most things, along with having the origin of the light force explained.

Seems to be a much more evidenced view of their placement than anywhere else I've seen.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
It is true it's a backstory, but even still it belongs somewhere in the timeline.

I merely was making a suggestion because I've seen timelines with the backstory of Zelda as the first in the timeline. And with the Zelda of Zelda II different from the Zelda in LoZ, I thought it would be interesting to see a placement.

And maybe the Four Swords arc was retconned to a later point in the timeline. Who knows. I read it, and it may be a mistranslation on my part, and it felt he said on many occasions they have placed Ocarina of Time as the first. Maybe not every time, but definitely alot. Maybe he is just asked about the timeline so much, it's hard to keep track? And I know they say they have a file placing each game in the timeline, but they have also said there really is no timeline, and it's to remain the legend of the series.

Regardless, I place the Four Swords arc before OoT, due to some of the bits of story placed in each (like the origin of Link's cap, and Gustav, the hero at the beginning story of Minish Cap, having to title to his name other than the Hero).

Masky

Smash Master
1) PH, ST, and FSA are the only games to have force gems, they aren't present in TMC or FS.

2) According to the Ocean King in PH, force gems are simply "physical manifestations of the life force present in every living thing". Going by that definition, force gems have always existed as long as life has in the Zelda universe, so there's no reason to think that force gems have anything to do with the timeline. In other words, force gems have always existed, but just aren't shown in any games besides PH, ST, and FSA.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have a rough estimate to where Minishcap goes in the split timeline theory? Iv looked around but everyone seems to be getting it wrong all over the interwebs.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I haven't checked this thread in ages so I'll just post what I believe to be the timeline:

............/WW - PH - ST
SS - OoT
............\MM - TP - MC - FS - FSA - aLttP - (OoX) - LA - LoZ - AoL

OoX is either there or in it's own separate arc outside the timeline.

But I generally either stick the Four Swords Trilogy (MC/FS/FSA) right before aLttP OR outside the timeline in its own arc.

Masky

Smash Master
I haven't checked this thread in ages so I'll just post what I believe to be the timeline:

............/WW - PH - ST
SS - OoT
............\MM - TP - MC - FS - FSA - aLttP - (OoX) - LA - LoZ - AoL

OoX is either there or in it's own separate arc outside the timeline.

But I generally either stick the Four Swords Trilogy (MC/FS/FSA) right before aLttP OR outside the timeline in its own arc.
FSA can't be the Imprisoning War.

Ganon has the Triforce in the Imprisoning War. He doesn't in FSA.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I didn't say FSA had to be the imprisoning war. I believe one of two things have happened regarding the imprisoning war:

1. We haven't had a game including it yet.
2. A previous game (OoT/FSA) was SUPPOSED to be the IW, but was changed.

Masky

Smash Master
So... you think two ganondorfs were sealed in the Dark World at once? One from FSA and one from the IW?

Or did FSA ganon get sealed, escaped, did the IW, then get sealed again?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'd probably go with the latter. I see no issue with Ganon escaping during some backstory not shown in game. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Nintendo officially releases the Zelda Timeline

Kotaku translated it and...

Left: Link fails, Ganon is left to take over the world. Link never goes to the future and stops Ganon.
Center: Link defeats Ganon in the future, goes back in time afterwards, goes about his merry day.
Right: After Link defeats Ganon in the future, he goes back in time. This is the story of a destroyed world after the evil has been banished.

So basically, after OoT

Left: Destroyed world, still ruled by Ganon
Center: Normal world, Ganon defeated
Right: Destroyed world, Ganon defeated

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I KNEW IT

MINISH CAP BEFORE OOT

A tri split though... that's weird. Didn't know losing a game is now treated as a proper ending. Guess EVERY game should have a time split then, no?

Center: Link defeats Ganon in the future, goes back in time afterwards, goes about his merry day.
Right: After Link defeats Ganon in the future, he goes back in time. This is the story of a destroyed world after the evil has been banished.
What people used to think; One ending has him stay in the current time, die and have a new Link in WW. One ending has him go back in time and search Navi.
But I guess he now warps back to two different pasts?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Nah, it makes sense.

At a couple points, you have to go back to continue, right? The 3rd split is essentially the world left over when you DON'T go back to do whatever; Link never got such and such item, so he never continued and beat Ganon.

etecoon

Smash Hero
after approaching this from a few different angles I have to say I find this to be pretty silly. a third branch would have been a great idea to remove some of the conflicts but they should have worked it into SS, it would have worked much better as the game already had the workings for explanations of things that have long been problems(for instance if some time shenanigans created a path where zelda never awakens, boom, connection to AoL). FSA being where it is also completely negates the point of creating a new ganondorf who becomes ganon via the trident(which he also has on a completely different timeline now...). and doesn't ganondorf kill the sages upon entering the sacred realm, explaining why there are different sages for the AT? so in this alternate timeline, these sages that he easily killed otherwise do manage to seal him while he's acquired the complete triforce? reaching DBZ level of internal inconsistency here, really have to just appreciate each game individually, if this is what they had in mind they should've kept it under wraps

Spire

III
BRoomer

etecoon

Smash Hero
A two-branch split timeline is impossible. Theorists have proved this
could you elucidate? as far as I knew two branches was by far the norm until today, though I'm not super well informed on timeline theory. though as I said, I like the idea of a third branch appearing somewhere I just don't like it all coming from OoT, I really think they missed a good opportunity with SS there

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think I got the 3 way split timeline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a seven year gap in OOT correct? Also, you'd playthrough the game as child Link first, then adult, then child again, the finally adult.

So when it means that Link "failing" caused the left timeline, it wasn't a game over/gave up/never even tried, it's either:
A) The third timeline branched off when Link first pulled the master sword
B) The third timeline branched off when Link had to become a child again, i.e. THIS is the timeline where Ganondorf was never defeated/captured.

etecoon

Smash Hero
when link first pulls the master sword he goes to sleep, it isn't time travel. when he goes back to being a child again at the end of the game we already know this leads to the events of TP. somewhere in between during the other times you time travel you could consider a split happening, the problem is that the variations in the paths of time don't logically conclude with LTTP or LTTP's backstory occurring(though we already know that large portions of LTTP's legends are incorrect...)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
onestly, I would not place much faith in a document provided by nintendo.

Only because, as interviews through the past have proven, they're always actively changing the "timeline document."

And I'm guilty of changing things in my own stories, they're just not public so no one is going to cry that I'm changing it, haha.

Still, I will wait until the next game and see how true the current information is and will remain the same.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think this is dumb if true. Just solidifies my notion that Nintendo is essentially just pandering to a subsection of the fanbase who care about inter-game continuity. My timeline theory is:

Nintendo just made a bunch of games and occasionally decide to appease fans by throwing some timeline together...only they eventually realized that by setting three games directly and exclusively after OoT, they basically destroyed the historical arc of the series so the player has to jump through a bunch of hoops to even have a geographically consistent Hyrule, let alone trace its history in any sort of logical progression.

Or I dunno...maybe when Aounuma started to become influential on the games, he insisted that the games take on a more story-focused direction. Maybe this weird mishmash of continuity and non-continuity is the result of conflicting ideologies of Miyamoto and Aounuma? I dunno, I'm just conjecturing. At this point, the old games feel like they are never going to be explicitly connected to the OoT-modern era. Wouldn't it be amazing to have a game conclusively end with Hyrule becoming a barren wasteland under Ganon's rule, maybe with even more explicit references as it leads into LoZ.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I figured that the timeline had a bunch of gaps in it.

>>Official Timeline Translation
Well of course it has gaps in it. We have to consider the fact that Nintendo already has details of the Zelda storyline that not even the public knows about. However, Nintendo does not need to mention those points of the timeline, or go into great detail with it due to the fact that there are no games revolving around those events. Heck, those events might not even have been thought up yet.

Honestly, I would not place much faith in a document provided by nintendo.

Only because, as interviews through the past have proven, they're always actively changing the "timeline document."
Well of course the timeline can change whenever. New Zelda games will be released, and as such, some events need to be changed to allow for continuity. The creators have as much right to change the storyline in such a way, just like you have the right to take a dump.
Now, that doesn't mean that Nintendo can drastically change the whole storyline. It means that they can provide minor adjustments so that future games can make sense in terms of the timeline.

Whole in whole, video game stories are far from perfect, especially Nintendo games. They tend to release games so far and drastic from one another because they want to do something different or make it better suited for a new console. They want a new setting, a new gimmick, etc, to keep gamers happy with playing their products.
Well, this can be said for any game company, but Nintendo are more obvious and well known for it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Do you REALLY want me to comment on that?

I thought all the little kids learned from Thumper in Bambi,
"If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I just don't understand this. Why do people try so hard to tie together games that obviously can't be tied together? Most frustratingly, why has Nintendo added fuel to the fire with that convoluted document they're calling a timeline?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I think Spire worded this pretty nicely, so I'll try to catch the original essence here.

It's more about the fact that it ties the community together. Most people don't take it to serious, but it's fun. It's basically being busy with the game outside of the game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, something like that. Haha.

The Zelda games are based around the objectivism of solving puzzles to discover more. Gameplay and story are subordinate to the sense of discovery. Gameplay is the technique by which to solve puzzles and story is the overarching reward, one that is revealed the more we explore the available content—and seeing as how they've given us extracurricular content to discover such as symbolic easter eggs (i.e. the Sheikah Eye atop the throne of the Palace of Twilight) it's obvious that they want us to discover such nuances. Even in the first Zelda game, there is a semblance of story: assemble the Triforce of Wisdom to defeat Ganon and save Princess Zelda. The story isn't hammered in as much as the later games because of a few reasons, primarily the technology at hand, but regardless it's there, and is an impetus to progress through the game. Had the game been a total bore, it would not have succeeded; the enjoyment comes from the sense of discovery accented by the gameplay.

The entire concept of "The Legend of Zelda" was to create an antithetical game to Super Mario Bros., embellishing a nonlinear structure based on Miyamoto's childhood adventures, which I hope I don't have to say weren't based on 'gameplay' or 'story'. Exploration and adventure is the heart of Zelda games. At E3 2011, Miyamoto cued the symphony to play the "treasure chest opening tune", a little ditty that's been in the series since the beginning, signifying how enjoyable that emulation of discovery is within the context of their video game.

So back to the timeline. Zelda games are about the puzzles. The timeline is (or was) a puzzle itself, arching over the entire series, one that had no concrete answer but bountiful tools to solve it with. Those tools are the games and everything they constitute. So much information to be had! The timeline has been a puzzle growing more complex and capable of solving with the progression of time. Time is the reigning 'element' of the series, so it's really no surprise that a fictional timeline encompassing our whole beloved series grasp the imaginations of all those curious enough to delve down that path. You don't have to, no one is forcing you to. But it exists nonetheless. You can argue against the timeline with, "but they're just individual Legends retold by different cultures," but those different cultures wouldn't exist without the evolving context of a [somewhat] coherent world, through consistent and non-consistent lore, through the similarities and dissimilarities in geography, character design, item functionality (something contingent on the actual technology used to display the game), backstory, etc, etc. The Legend of Zelda is an evolving franchise that only now, as of the 25th Anniversary, finally established its scope. They've finally a grasp on the series they've been trying to portray.

Throughout the 80s, 90s, and early 00s, Zelda was very much an experimental franchise. That experimentalism has settled now that the developers actually understand the series more. Working with the community's interests in mind, they've finally formulated a symbiosis of Zelda rooted around the world, in our hearts and minds. We love it. We think about it. We extract and appropriate concepts found within the game, some of which require the shared knowledge of the series as stipulated by the internet, some of which can only be found through the individual's experiential interpretation, all of which display an affection felt by millions. That's special. The very fact that we can identify and discuss enthusiasm about differing aspects of the series goes to show just how greatly it has impacted us. We all have our own interpretations of the series, and whether the timeline means anything to you is up to you. The beauty is the ability to enjoy the series for whatever it's worth. Had it meant nothing to you, you wouldn't be here opposing the timeline. That's proof enough that there are other things to enjoy about Zelda than the timeline. That's proof enough that the timeline is not the focus of the series. It exists, but it's not the focus.

The internet has without a doubt been the breeding ground of timeline enthusiasts. Without it, the minds of the world would not have had a platform to meet and discuss their interpretations of the feeble timeline of yore. Now that we've worked through so many timeline possibilities, higher truths have been revealed (and misconstrued) about the intent of the developers, because that's what it ultimately comes down to... or at least it did. I believe we're entering an age where Zelda will continue to be developed by Nintendo, but will find stronger inspiration in the fans themselves.

Just google "Zelda art" and 90% of the images that appear will be fan art. If that does not say enough about the direction the series is headed, I don't know what does. We are taking the reins of Zelda. We are developing our own methods of telling the Legend of Zelda. Nintendo created and set the example, and while they will continue to do so, we will further evolve as Hyrulean scribes. That's the true beauty of Zelda. Without dissecting the timeline, the level of imagination in Zelda fan art would be much lower. By traversing the series' chronology, people can break assumed barriers set up by the concrete games, discovering the true "Sacred Realm", the realm of infinite creativity. That's what the Sacred Realm represents essentially, and that's what we've been looking for in this series. Creative expressionism is the evolution of the series, and I'm damn glad the timeline has influenced such endeavors.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
That was an excellent post, Spire, but I disagree for a few reasons.

First, time didn't become an element of Zelda at all until OoT. The overarching element of Zelda has always been exploration, and I think one of the most valid observations of Skyward Sword is that it takes away the Zelda-style exploration that has been the series' hallmark in favor of a more dungeon-like overworld. Whether that is to your tastes or not is a matter of personal opinion.

Second, I agree that the experimentation that characterized past Zelda games is gone now, and I would argue that's a very bad thing. Every console Zelda from the original through Wind Waker was something totally different and new, experimenting not only with gameplay, but also narrative, characterization, artistic style and everything else. Majora's Mask is a vastly different game than Ocarina, not because they changed the gameplay, but because they changed how the story was told; you can differentiate between any of the Zeldas before TP in the same manner.

Starting with Wind Waker though, Zelda has fallen into an almost cult-like obsession with the Hero of Time, and every console Zelda since then has tripped all over itself to allude back to him, whether it made sense or not. I actually give SS a pass on this point, as it seems conceived and designed to be a celebration of everything Zelda over the last 25 years. Since that seems to be its explicit purpose, I can't very well fault it for accomplishing that goal.

Like you said, I don't think it's a coincidence that Zelda has become less experimental (I would describe it in harsher terms, honestly) as the focus on continuity has increased; a continuity, mind you, that did not exist in LoZ-MM, despite all the attempts to retcon it into something otherwise. For this reason, I've started to actually consider the timeline to be an impediment to the development of the series. I honestly think that Wind Waker was a brilliant game, and one that archaeologists in hundreds or thousands of years will hold up as one of the canon works of our era of gaming. Unfortunately, it seems that WW will be the most radical departure from the classic Zelda formula that we'll get, because as Nintendo's insistence on tying together the games increases, the games seem to be heading into safer and safer territory (with the exception of the handheld games, which are still rife with experimentation).

For a counterexample, let's look at Final Fantasy. Yeah, there are valid arguments to be made about the series' quality as of late, but everyone has a favorite game, and we won't get into a discussion of which one is the best because that's besides the point (FINAL FANTASY VI). Basically, every FF is able to radically experiment with story and gameplay mechanics because all most of the games share is a name. Design choices in FF XIII were not dictated by story elements of FF XII, or any other one, so they could do whatever they wanted. Whether those choices were successful or not is once again a matter of personal taste, but Squeenix was free to make them. Zelda is now at a place where there MUST be a Temple of Time. There must be a lake, there must be a desert, there must be a volcano, etc. These things were all adventure game conventions too, but now they're also narrative conventions, forced into the game to deliver a sense of series cohesion, and that hamstrings what you can do with said volcano, lake or whatever it is, because it has to make sense in the context of a game designed over ten years ago.

As another counterpoint: consider the Star Wars films. A friend of mine pointed out to me that George Lucas' increasingly ludicrous alterations of the Original Trilogy make alot of sense if you consider that he's going for aesthetic cohesion of the six-movie arc, despite the fact that the trilogies had 15 years between them. That's silly, of course: the movies already had narrative cohesion, so why is aesthetic cohesion necessary? It's not, but because he thinks it is, you get this nonsense added to RotJ because Lucas put this crap in Episode 3.

What does that have to do with Zelda? Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I strongly believe that one of the reasons Skyward Sword takes place in the sky is to explain why the hell there's a floating continent in Twilight Princess that was never mentioned before. That decision informs most other gameplay decisions in SS, from the flying to the hub system to the way you enter the ground. That gameplay decision was motivated, at least in part in my opinion, to make sense of a past Zelda game. You may love flying, you may hate it. But you probably wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for the need to tie together la pretty major loose thread from TP. This necessity for cohesion mirrors Lucas' maddening quest, perhaps not in banality but certainly in purpose. And I think it hurts the series.

WAY TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ- The push to place 14 different games into a timeline is detrimental to the Zelda series in the long run. If Zelda has become controlled by the fans, I pray that those fans to give it back, because Nintendo's best efforts have always come from it not caring what anyone else had to say about its efforts. TP and SS (as fan-influenced games) are great games, but I consider them to be two of the weakest installments of the Zelda series, and they certainly can't hold a candle to the brilliance on display from LttP-WW. Both SS and TP feel trapped in the shadows of the Hero of Time, and the resulting timeline talk. Usually, "good-enough" is fine by me; not every game can be a masterpiece. But I expect and demand that from Zelda games, and I haven't had my mind truly blown by a Zelda game since Wind Waker. I want something bold, not just different; motion controls in the context of the Wii is not bold. Sinking Hyrule, setting a three day timer, those were bold moves, and I'm afraid Nintendo is now more concerned with shoehorning cohesion into Zelda than being experimental. As I said earlier, I don't think that the fact that my disenchantment with Zelda coincides with the rise of the timeline theorists is a coincidence.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sorry, I didn't read your wall of text. If that was meant to be a response to Spire's post of why we care about the timeline in this way, you don't need a lot of explanations to see why.

Some Zelda fans like the puzzles. Some Zelda fans see the story as a puzzle. That's why we like doing all this timeline stuff. It's just another puzzle. In fact, it's probably the most difficult Zelda puzzle.

Spire

III
BRoomer
As surprising as it may sound Jam, I very much agree with you. I think the effect of the timeline will primarily be seen in the coming years with the releases of Zelda 3DS and Zelda Wii U. Depending on how they handle those games, we'll see whether or not Nintendo is keen on advancing the series without losing sight of what made it great in the first place. I think the timeline has done both good and bad for the series. It kind of shook the pillars if anything, establishing a new platform by which to renew the series. It can either continue building in the model of linearity, or it can reboot.

Skyward Sword takes place in the sky because upon playing Spirit Tracks, Aonuma's son expressed interest with flying in the next Zelda game. There were trains in Spirit Tracks because Aonuma had been reading a book on locomotives to his son before bed. I've posted a couple articles at the bottom of this post that will expand upon the following quote, as well as what I just said.

I'm way too much an optimist, I'll admit that. I try and look at the positive side of the timeline. I honestly do not think Nintendo knows any longer what Zelda is or was—perhaps why Miyamoto is stepping down—which is why I anchor the timeline to my faith that the community will come to its senses first. Aonuma said this about the original Legend of Zelda,
Eiji Aonuma said:
I’ve never actually finished it, I almost feel like there’s still no game more difficult than it. Every time I try to play it I end up getting 'Game Over' a few too many times and giving up partway through. Certainly after playing the original Zelda for the first time, I didn’t ever think that I wanted to make a game like that.

I was particularly bad at playing games that required quick reflexes. So, immediately after I started playing the original Zelda, I failed to read the movements of the Octorock in the field and my game suddenly game to an end. Even after getting used to the controls, each time the screen rolled to a new area new Octorock appeared and I thought 'am I going to have to fight these things forever?' Eventually, I gave up getting any further in the game.

The result was that I was under the impression that the Legend of Zelda was not a game that suited me. So what kind of games did suit me? Those would be text-based adventures. For someone like me who enjoyed reading stories, these were games that allowed you to participate in the story and letting you experience the joy of seeing your own thoughts and actions affect the progression of the story. Plus, these games don't require fast reflexes and don't require traditional gaming skills. So, I thought that if I were going to make games, I would like to make this type of game.
That is why Zelda has become what it has. Read these blog posts for further insight:
http://touriantourist.blogspot.com/2011/09/aonuma-hates-zelda.html
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/nintendo-we-know-you-guys-dont-want-trains-but-were-going-to-do-it-anyway-remember-it-is-all-about-satisfying-my-son-you-customers-who-dont-like-it-can-go-to-hell/

Edit: As a slightly related note, I can't say I ever once felt that I was truly discovering anything in my playthrough of Skyward Sword. If this is the direction that Zelda will be continuing, albeit enjoyable in terms of gameplay, I cannot say that I'm all that enthusiastic. As of now, I have no idea what's going to happen with Zelda, and I'm sure many others feel the same way. This could prove to be a good thing. Twilight Princess raised gameplay expectations because of its banal structure and raised story/timeline expectations because of its focus on such. By this accord, while Twilight Princess may have been the OoT 2.0 that everyone wanted, it affected us quite oppositely. There's a time and place for everything and 2006 was eight years late. People enjoyed playing the game, and so they made a direct sequel. When people are interested in investing their time not in following a whimsy story, but in playing through the challenges at hand time and again, you've got a good game. While Skyward Sword retained and expanded upon the gaming aspects of its video game blood, it had about as many secrets (if not fewer) than Super Mario Galaxy. SMG and SMG2 at least had entire extra worlds to play through. Skyward Sword had.........? For the series whose crux is supposed to be discovery and exploration, there was very little to be had in the game.

Top Bottom